Crown Jewels of Hawai'i

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City
Southern California
Country
United States
To those that are interested, there was an article on Feb 12th 2008 in the Honolulu Advisor that displayed some of David Kalakaua's family jewelry. Here is the link: King Kalakaua's gems on show at palace today | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

In reading the book, the Betrayal of Liliuokalani by Helena Allen, I read that there was a royal crown but had suffered damage by those that stormed the Iolani Palace during the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii. Some of the gems had been pryed loose. The book relayed that a government official later tracked down the gems, but I don't remember seeing the crown displayed a Iolani Palace when I visited there in 2001. Does anyone know if there is a picture of it exclusively?

I know that many items belonging to the Kingdom of Hawaii had to be "tracked down".

I read that article awhile ago, Island Czarina, and thank you for posting it for others to read.:) Some of the items are at the Bishop Museum. Unfortunately, if there are any other items out there not accounted for, they are most likely in the hands of the descendants of those greedy missionaries as well as others.

One more thing: [URL="http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=940DE4D71F3DE433A25753C3A9639C94689ED7CF"]Here[/URL] is an article from the NYT 1899 that might be of interest to you. Click the View Full Article link which takes you to their PDF article.

Last edited:
George Ryan-Thief of Hawaiian Crown

Thank you for the info. I am so pleased to find there are others like me that are interested in these topics.
I see that you are a decorated entity in this forum:). I wanted to ask about how did you link the article without hot linking it? I am new to forums in general, and I am new to some of the tools. If you please, could you let me know how you did that? I don't want to be a peasant about etiquette:blush:. I want to learn!
Thank you for your kokua (help)

Island Czarina

I don't exactly think that "greedy missionaries" took the Hawai'ian jewels...the collection would have been dispursed most likely upon the abolition of the monarchy and creation of the Republic of Hawai'i.

It is interesting to see the amazing pieces that are still in the hands of the Hawai'ian RF. Considering that the succession post-monarchy has been, well, a mess--it's amazing that such fabulous pieces are still together.

I have seen the coronation crowns on display several times, as well as some of the orders and Queen Emma's necklace and bracelet. These amazing pieces are news to me, and so very beautiful!

The greedy missionaries disposed of the monarchy...it is no major stretch to imagine that they desired to dispose of valuable treasures.

Where are these royal jewels? In a museum and did princess kaiulani have her own collection of royal jewels ?

The greedy missionaries disposed of the monarchy...it is no major stretch to imagine that they desired to dispose of valuable treasures.

Greedy missionaries, or greedy businessmen and politicos? IIRC, the Dole's played a huge part in taking down the monarchy. I refuse to visit the Dole plantation or buy anything Dole.

I also think the US government seemed to help in the overthrow, perhaps more from an act of omission versus an act of comission.

Keep in mind though, if it wasn't the US that took over Hawai'i, it could have been another country, Japan perhaps. Oh how the world be different, not necessarily good just different, if Japan had gotten their hands on the Hawai'ian islands.

Actually, Hawaii would have been a protectorate under the United Kingdom. The Hawaiian monarchy had a deep friendship with England. I frankly think it would have been a good thing. But of course the American missionaries had to get their hands involved since they had a huge interest in the sugar industry. They were greedy and wanted control. Leave it to America to take what they want. However and whatever it took to do it. Not even taking into consideration the indigenous people and the fact that it was sovereign before they came along.

Where are these royal jewels? In a museum and did princess kaiulani have her own collection of royal jewels ?

Most of the "crown jewels" are in the Bishop Museum in Honolulu, or in the tombs of the Hawaiian royalty, or in the hands of private owners like the Kawananakoa family. I don't really think they should be considered crown jewels since most of them were actually personal jewelery of the Hawaiian royals with significance to them. Kaiulani probably had jewels, you can see her wearing necklaces in some of her photographs, but I've never seen photos of her wearing a tiara.

Check this site. Photo gallery: Royal Jewelry | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

1006queenemma.jpg
220px-Queen_Emma_wearing_lei_pupu_o_Niihau.jpg
artd.jpg

Queen Emma with her tiger claw necklace, given to her by an Indian maharaja, and another picture of her wearing the Niihau shell lei. Not your typical jewelry. Queen Kapiolani's cat's eye necklace.

Last edited:
I am quite flabbergasted to see these pictures. Thank you.

I wish we had even more pictures - but thanks for these!

The tiger eye necklace is as stunning as it is unusual - I've never seen a tigers eye gem piece quite like it!

Where are the Crown Jewels of Hawaii? I am guessing that they are in display at the lanai palace?

Stunning photos. Thank you for posting.

I just watched a TV movie on Queen Kapiolani, and in it she wore many beautiful brooches, however I don't know if the film was historically accurate.

kaiulaninecklace.jpg

Princess Kaiulani's Engagement Necklace given to her by Queen Kapiolani in anticipation of the marriage between her and Prince David Kawananakoa. It was originally a gift to Queen Kapiolani from King Kalakaua for their wedding anniversary. After Kaiulani died it passed back to the Kawananakoa family where it was worn by Princess Abigail Campbell Kawananakoa and ended up in the Honolulu Academy of Arts.
http://hawaiianhistorian.blogspot.com/2012/02/princess-kaiulanis-engagement.html

Last edited:
Royal Crown of Kalakaua I

The Sceptre with the Dragon (or of the Constitution):

Made with gold, diamonds, emeralds, rubies, opals, spinel (today reproductions), pearls and velvet.
Realised by Sigmond Hoffnung in 1882-1883 at London.

It is today at Berenice Pauhai Bishop Museum, Honolulu.

Attachments

• HAWAII Corona Reale (Re).jpg
    HAWAII Corona Reale (Re).jpg
    193 KB · Views: 4,749
  • HAWAII Corona Reale (Re - II).jpg
    HAWAII Corona Reale (Re - II).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 706
  • HAWAII Corona e Scettro Reale.jpg
    HAWAII Corona e Scettro Reale.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 1,480
Royal Crown of queen Kapiolani

Made with Gold, diamonds, emeralds, rubies (today reproductions), pearls and velvet.
Realised by Sigmond Hoffnung in 1882-1883 at London.
It is today at Berenice Pauhai Bishop Museum, Honolulu.

Attachments

• HAWAII Corona Reale (Regina - 2).jpg
    HAWAII Corona Reale (Regina - 2).jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 4,577
  • HAWAII Corona Reale (Regina).jpg
    HAWAII Corona Reale (Regina).jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 754
  • HAWAII Corona Reale (Regina - 3).jpg
    HAWAII Corona Reale (Regina - 3).jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 739
Hawaii Royal Sceptre

Silver and Velvet, made by Sigmond Hoffnung in 1882-83 at London with silver and velvet.
Today is at Berenice Pauhai Bishop Museum, Honolulu.

Attachments

• HAWAII Scettro Reale.jpg
    HAWAII Scettro Reale.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 525
Back
Top Bottom