British Crown Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reynard

Aristocracy
Country
United States
The Imperial State Crown

Attachments

• impStateCrown.jpg
    impStateCrown.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 11,404
Last edited by a moderator:
Imperial crown of India

Attachments

• IndiaCrown.jpg
    IndiaCrown.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,224
England's coronation rings

Attachments

• rings.jpg
    rings.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 2,106
modern welsh coronet

Attachments

• walesCrown.jpg
    walesCrown.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 2,765
Victoria's small crown

Attachments

• vickySmallCrown.jpg
    vickySmallCrown.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,286
St. Edward's Crown
This is the crown used to crown the British monarch at his/her coronation. It was last used in 1953 to crown Queen Elizabeth II.
monarchy_pop_crown1.jpg

The Queen Mother's Crown
The crown worn by Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, to Her coronation in 1937. She wore it without the arches to the coronation of Her daughter, Queen Elizabeth II, in 1953.
monarchy_pop_crown4.jpg

The Scottish crown jewels are reputed to be the oldest in Europe.

Originally posted by A.C.C.@Dec 7th, 2003 - 9:03 pm
St. Edward's Crown
This is the crown used to crown the British monarch at his/her coronation. It was last used in 1953 to crown Queen Elizabeth II.
monarchy_pop_crown1.jpg
And each monarch only wears this crown once--at their coronation. After that they wear the Imperial State Crown.

It is said that St. Edward's crown is quite heavy--around 5lbs--and Her Majesty practiced wearing it while doing paperwork to get used to the weight before her coronation in 1953.

There has also been a rumor that before Queen Mary died in March of 1953, the Queen put the crown on for Queen Mary to see before her death.

the imperial crown

why does her majesty wear the imperial crown when she has no aknowledged empire?

discuss.

This beautiful piece of jewel is made in diamonds and pearls. The circular diadem is decorated with four crosses-pattées, set with diamonds, representing St. George, the front one with a wonderful honey-coloured diamond in the centre. The four bouquets of flowers in diamonds include roses, thistles and shamrocks, representing England, Scotland and Ireland. Wales, being a principality, was not represented. Below, two rows of pearls with diamonds in the middle make it one of the finest pieces of jewellery of the royal collection. It is part of the Crown Jewels since the death of HM Queen Victoria, who left it to the Crown in her will.

The picture is scanned from an old magazine and hosted by myself.​

A few...

I don't know the names or historical associations of these crowns. All I know is they are British. I took pictures of them from Majesty magazine. I think one of them is the Queen's coronation crown from 1953.
The middle one was for George VI, no?
The other was worn by Queen Mary, the present Queen's grandmother.
If anyone knows the specifics, I'd love to know it, so please speak up.

The first one if the St. Edwards Crown, the crown that is used only for the actual crowing of the sovereign.

The second is a coronet, and it is used only by Dukes of the United Kingdom.

The last image, is Queen Alexandra wearing her Coronation crown, which was made for her before her coronation.

When the Dukes use the middle one, do they wear it to any State occasion (i.e. a Coronation, the State Opening of Parliament)?

CasiraghiTrio said:
When the Dukes use the middle one, do they wear it to any State occasion (i.e. a Coronation, the State Opening of Parliament)?

Only Coronations, "CT" :)

"MII"

crisiñaki said:
1. Both have to be heavy as heck, they should wear a head/neck supporter of some kind to bear that weight:rolleyes: :confused: :cool:
2. Did the DoE wear a crown in the coronation of QEII? Which one?
The Duke of Edinburgh at one stage of the Coronation wore a royal Duke's coronet. Check out the Coronation thread; there may be a pic.

A stupid question...

In this pic (source: hola) is Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II wearing the miniatures of her parents? I am sure one is King George VI, but I'm not sure if the other is herself or the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother?
And one more question: What is the name and history of the tiara?
wk0mqf.jpg

A.C.C. said:
The crown worn by Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, to Her coronation in 1937. She wore it without the arches to the coronation of Her daughter, Queen Elizabeth II, in 1953.
Do you think when Charles is crowned that Camilla will wear the Queen Mum's crown or one of the older ones like Queen Mary's? I know she has a lot of the Queen Mum's other jewels like the Honeycomb tiara.

CasiraghiTrio, The Queen is wearting the Kokoshnik Tiara.
The other family order QEII is wearing is that of her grandfather George V. I think only the sovereign has the right to create a family order and give to family members as their personal gift. That's what I recall reading in the Field book.:)

For a detailed description of the Coronation Regalia please see this link to the June 2007 Newsletter, and refer to posts 4 and 5.

Last edited:
Not sure of where to post this but I found this unusual picture of an old English crown at the site of a Treasury of the Munich Residenz which contains the regalia of the old Bavarian monarchy.

Bavarian Palace Department | Munich Residenz | Treasury | Picture gallery

It is a Queen's crown and apparently is the oldest English crown in existence. It was recorded first in 1399 and was worn either by the queen of Edward III or Richard II.

The crown is made up of gold, enamel, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, diamonds, pearls. The precious stones are arranged in a floral vine pattern with the pearls and the sapphire and emerald leaves taking prominence. Quite a remarkable display of workmanship.

Henry IV who deposed Richard II had a daughter Blanche who married the Elector of Palantine and the crown became part of her dowry. Thus it was passed down generations in the Palatine branch of the Wittelsbach family, the rulers of Bavaria.

Where is Queen Mary's crown?

Which Queen Mary?
Among the Crown Jewels are the State Crown and Diadem (two separate items) of Mary of Modena, made for the coronation of King James II's consort in 1685.

Queen Mary's crown was made for the coronation in 1911. It is also part of the Crown Jewels, but with the Koh-i-noor replaced by a paste replica. Queen Mary wore her crown (with arches detached) to the 1937 coronation, as did Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother at the coronation of her daughter in 1953.

For pictures of replicas and more explanation of both Queen Marys' crowns, see here and scroll down the list to Other Crowns towards the bottom.

As to where the crown itself is, both crowns are in the Tower, if I remember right.

Thank you!
Now, about this English crown being in some other country. Do you think HM The Queen would want to get it back for her country? Is that something she would broker or would Parliament be in charge of something like that?

The English crown went to the Elector Palatine as part of Princess Blanche's dowry, so it has been Palatinate/Wittelsbach/Bavarian property since 1402. The dowry most likely formed part of the wedding contract and it's hard to imagine that anyone would request the return of something that was freely given over 600 years ago.

I read the article wrong--thought it ended up there in a "dubious" type of manner. If it was freely given then it is part of their heritage now.

A British friend of mine recently claimed to me that the Crown Jewels on display at the Tower are actually perfect replicas, and the real Crown Jewels are actually held either in the vaults of the Bank of England, or Buck House, or the official government bomb shelter at Cheltenham(? is that the right place?). According to him this is a well-known 'fact' in the UK.

Can anyone confirm or deny? I've only seen the Jewels once, and I was 10 years old at the time.

Back
Top Bottom