British Crown Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:

I have to disagree with you. In my view, everything that was left to the Crown (jewellery, works of Art, and so on) is now part of the Crown and cannot be considered the private property of the Monarch.

Maybe so; but my point is there does not appear to be any legislation concerning jewellery other than the Coronation Regalia ! :)

Maybe so; but my point is there does not appear to be any legislation concerning jewellery other than the Coronation Regalia ! :)

That's true. Although that got me thinking, are there actually any legislations (laws) concerning the actual Crown Jewels, or it's just tradition they belong to the state? I only know of one document to the effect - the one the Prior of Westminster produced, maintaining Edward the Confessor had left his regalia in the Abbey's care to be used in the coronation of the future monarchs. And that document was a forgery.

EDIT: Just found how the Crown Regalia ended up in the possession of the state rather then the monarch: in 16054, James I issued a riyal decree declaring that the Crown Regalia (along with a number of other jewels and ornaments) was "indivisible from the Kingdom".

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,104
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,089
Most of the stones in the present Imperial State Crown came from Queen Victoria's Imperial State Crown. The crown is remodelled for each Monarch and if necessary additional stones would be bought from the Crown Jeweller or supplied by the Monarch. The empty crown frames of George I, George IV and Queen Victoria still exist and are kept in the Tower of London. The larger stones (eg St Edward's Sapphire, the Black Prince's Ruby [spinel], the Stuart Sapphire and Queen Elizabeth I's pearls) have survived over the centuries and just over 100 years ago the Cullinan II diamond, or Lesser Star of Africa (a whopping 317 carats) was added to the front of the crown.

What jewelry did Princess Alexandra of Denmark receive from her parents, Christian and Louise, when she married the Prince of Wales, Prince Albert Edward?
Inside the Crown of St. Edward is a velvet cap called a "Cap of Estate."
Henry VII first started wearing a crown over such a liner, presumably for greater comfort, and later all crowns worn by royalty on State occasions were set on a cap called the Cap of Estate.

Two of the four pearls dangling from the Imperial State Crown were once worn by Queen Elizabeth I.

It was interesting to learn that the pattern of oak leaves and acorns on the arches of the Imperial State Crown symbolize the oak tree at Boscobel in which King Charles II hid from Cromwell's troops after his defeat at Worcester.

Until 1962 the Imperial State Crown was conveyed to the Houses of Parliament in a closed carriage.
In 1962 the crown was conveyed in Queen Alexandra's State Coach.
What was the name of the closed carriage that originally conveyed the Imperial State Crown to the Houses of Parliament?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elizabeth II at the State Opening of Parliament, June 2014

1. HM wearing the Imperial State Crown
. . . . 2. & 3. HM wearing the Diamond Diadem of George IV
. . . . . . 4. The Imperial State Crown

Thumbnail images form cropped portions of much larger photographs.

Attachments

• EIIR State Opening 2014 1.jpg
    EIIR State Opening 2014 1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 338
  • EIIR State Opening 2014 2.jpg
    EIIR State Opening 2014 2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 340
  • EIIR State Opening 2014 3.jpg
    EIIR State Opening 2014 3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 687
  • Imperial State Crown.jpg
    Imperial State Crown.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,024
Last edited:
I saw the Crown Jewels in person, I was salivating and the Culllinan I and II were insanely huge.
Queen Victoria's Small Crown was so dainty

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

So it seems a group of disgruntled Indians [headed up by a Bollywood actor] intend to sue HM the Queen for the return of the Koh-i-noor diamond. This stone was given to Queen Victoria, by the last Maharajah of Lahore [in what is now Pakistan]. Aside from giving heaps of work, and money to Lawyers this will be a pointless and fruitless exercise since the diamond was never 'owned' by India.
It was a personal possession of the Maharajah. None of these named individuals have any claim upon the title of it's previous owners. They have no legal right to petition for its return anywhere.So it will remain in the Tower of London.

:previous: The Koh-i-noor was surrendered by Maharajah Duleep Singh - then aged 13 - not given. The last owner in the interesting and already controversial chain of ownership, had been Duleep's father, Maharajah Ranjit Singh, who died in 1839, and he had willed the diamond to a Hindu temple in Puri. The Punjab was annexed by the British East India Company in 1849 during the Anglo-Sikh Wars, and Governor-General Lord Dalhousie decided the Koh-i-noor was a spoil of war and confiscated it. He orchestrated Duleep Singh's trip to England to present the stone to the Queen.

In a letter written in August 1849, Dalhousie stated:

"The Court [of the East India Company] you say, are ruffled by my having caused the Maharajah to cede to the Queen the Koh-i-noor; while the 'Daily News' and my Lord Ellenborough [Governor-General of India, 1841-44] are indignant because I did not confiscate everything to her Majesty... [My] motive was simply this: that it was more for the honour of the Queen that the Koh-i-noor should be surrendered directly from the hand of the conquered prince into the hands of the sovereign who was his conqueror, than it should be presented to her as a gift—which is always a favour—by any joint-stock company among her subjects. So the Court ought to feel." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koh-i-Noor

Last edited:
the diamond was never 'owned' by India.

Whether is was a gift, or war booty.. it was never owned by India [nor Pakistan, which didn't exist at that point]

LAHORE: A Pakistani court today dismissed a petition filed by a barrister seeking direction to the government to bring back the famed Koh-i-Noor diamond, which India has been trying to get from the UK for years, terming the plea as non-maintainable

Barrister Jaffry in his petition had said that the Koh-i-Noor, once the largest known diamond in the world, should be returned to Pakistan as it was cultural heritage of Pakistan's Punjab province and its citizens owned it in fact.
Read more: Court dismisses plea filed to bring Koh-i-Noor to Pakistan - The Economic Times

The British Royal Family's most gorgeous tiaras:

Brief history behind some British royal family tiaras (plus the Spencer tiara). Interesting that the Poltimore tiara worn by Princess Margaret was sold at auction in 2006 for a half milion:

Does anyone know where a list (item-by-item) of the contents of the UK Crown Jewels can be found? I have looked all over the internet and can't find one anywhere. Most articles only talk about the major items. Wikipedia gives the number of each type of item, but no list of individual items.

Does anyone know where a list (item-by-item) of the contents of the UK Crown Jewels can be found? I have looked all over the internet and can't find one anywhere. Most articles only talk about the major items. Wikipedia gives the number of each type of item, but no list of individual items.

I suggest you consult one of the sources cited by Wikipedia: The Crown Jewels by Anna Keay.

It's listed on the Royal Collection website so I assume it's considered to be an authoritative source:

https://www.royalcollectionshop.co.uk/the-crown-jewels.html

Use WorldCat to see if a library near you owns a copy. If not, you can ask your local public library to request a copy through their interlibrary loan service:

https://www.worldcat.org

It's also available for sale on Amazon.

Reactions: JSH
Thanks. That's what I was thinking I'd have to do.

A big deal was made about Meghan wanting to wear the tiara Eugenie wore in the media. It made it sound like the beautiful tiara Meghan wore was somehow lesser. I was wondering what the difference was really between the two. I'm also wondering if there has been any mention of Beatrice wearing a tiara.

The diamond encrusted Imperial State Crown.

Royal Regalia.

A decorative piece of gold, believed to be part of the old Crown used by English monarchs before the Interregnum, has been found in a Northamptonshire field. It consists of a small gold figurine, standing on an antelope and believed to represent King Henry VI in Royal regalia.

The English Crown Jewels were, for the most part, broken up, sold off and melted down by order of Parliament after the execution of King Charles I, the last King to wear the medieval Crown. The British Museum is holding this fragment for examination and assessment at the moment.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...well-king-henry-viii-royal-history-jewels-spt

Last edited:
It was a terrible act of vandalism by Cromwell having the English Crown Jewels sold off or melted down.
The golden Ampulla and spoon escaped his attention and survived

The current British Crown Jewels date from after the Restoration.

The making of King Henry VIII's Crown

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom