A New Crown for Canada?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, NO, NO , NOOOOOO!!!!!! It must be an absolutely traditional crown with orb and scepter. The whole point, which everybody seems to forget, the monarchy is an atavistic institution. Which is the whole point. It is the celebration of centuries, indeed millenia of dare I say it, tribal unity. The enduring of a civilization and its values and institutions for dozens of generations. The crown is an outward symbol of that unity.

I personally am delighted that Canada has a diamond mine. Surely there must be more out there somewhere. I also know that they have emeralds. Now we must dig up some rubies and sapphires and we will be in business. I guess we will have to import the pearls. Cheers.

Well, given that Canada's originally made up of two European nations (Britain and France) plus all the First Nations (aboriginals), I think that Empress is an appropriate term as well.:lol:

Of course, maybe HM could become "Empress of Canada"...have a Windsor be Queen-Empress again. Hahaha...Canada is the second largest country in terms of area, isn't it?

That's my feeling as well, Prince. Best to let sleeping Royal dogs lie...and I'm not talking about corgies.;)

Sadly, I think any change would prompt a bunch of mouthbreathers screaming for a republic. Pity.

It would certainly be wonderful PR for the Canadian gems industry!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, NO, NO , NOOOOOO!!!!!! It must be an absolutely traditional crown with orb and scepter. The whole point, which everybody seems to forget, the monarchy is an atavistic institution. Which is the whole point. It is the celebration of centuries, indeed millenia of dare I say it, tribal unity. The enduring of a civilization and its values and institutions for dozens of generations. The crown is an outward symbol of that unity.

I agree in theory, but the fact is that Canada is a much more determinedly multicultural society than almost anywhere else in the world. Our national identity is a mosaic; that of the USA for example is a melting pot.

So we should stay away from overtly Christian symbolism and be more inclusive. It's what we do up here :)

I personally am delighted that Canada has a diamond mine. Surely there must be more out there somewhere. I also know that they have emeralds. Now we must dig up some rubies and sapphires and we will be in business. I guess we will have to import the pearls. Cheers.

I don't think we would.. there are massive oyster beds in PEI for example.

And who, pray, is going to be diving into the Gulf of St. Lawrence looking for pearls. That water gets COLD. I would have thought that by now there would have been pearl fishing if it were feasable. But it seems not. I still say stick a cross on the contraption, it is simply a way to display more diamonds if nothing else. And there are no Christians in Canada????

There are, of course; I believe that Christianity (all denominations) is the majority religious group in Canada. That doesn't really mean anything, though. The cross pattee is an exclusively and overtly Christian symbol, and thus excludes those of other faiths. Remember of course that while HM is the titular head of the Anglican church, there is no established church in Canada.

The only way to get a crown for Canada without causing a fuss would be to sort of sneak one in between monarchs, for example the first time that the next sovereign visits the country, etc. Otherwise, the Republicans really would throw a fit.

Umm, the tiara is novel but I must say that the likeness is poor and not up to the usual standard of coinage likenesses (or at least those we have in Australia).

Good grief, she looks like Ena Sharples. What in the world were they thinking?

Pooh!!! Let the blasted republicans throw all the fits they want!!! They all need and crave something to have a fit about. If they ever got that wretched republic they so long for they would be off on some other tangent to "imrove the world". that is the problem all these do gooders who have never learned that the grass is very seldom if ever greener on the other side of the fence. Ah, but it is wonderful that Canada has diamonds, now can we find somewhere that they have sapphires or maybe even rubies, pant, drool, quiver?????? Just think of what we could do with a crown on the order of the Russian Imperial diadem, a helmet if you will of diamonds, pearls and a giant spinel, in place of which we would use all those lovely rubies or whatever.
BTW> Who on earth is Ena Sharples??? Cheers.

Oh Thomas, don't let Ena Sharples and glittering Canadian diamonds distract you. The focus of your attention should be on the new medal shown on the previous page. I'm sure you'll have an opinion on the likeness of Her Majesty, although the term "likeness" is something of an overstatement.

I'm for a republican Canada and I definitely don't think taxpayers should have to pay for a fancy piece of jewlery for the Queen who visits like every few years. I have a great respect for her but she has enough crowns, tiaras and jewels. I think that we should focus on using our money to support things like inner-city schools and improving healthcare or something that has a productivity value. If someone were willing to privately fund this crown though, then by all means, go for it.

Oh, Lord, deliver us. Must you Warren. I mean, did you really have to??? I was trying to be a gentlemen, which really is a terrible strain, as you and my psychiatrists, social workers and needle toting attendants in white suites know only too well and overlook it in the fervent hope that it like "wind" at a wedding would just go away. So We have her Most Excellent Majesty Elizabeth II in some idiotic Canadian whatnot contrapted no doubt by some dyed in the wool republican looking for all the world like our Miss Brooks in a rinestone tiara by Woolworth. As for Ena Snarples or whatever the wretches name is or was, the less said the Better.

But now if somebody could dredge up somewhere more photos-are there any in Canada perchance?-- of the Fife tiara?? and contribute to my joy. Of course I did find two more half gallons of chocolate ice cream in my storage refigerator-so would you people please give me an excuse to go eat some of it. cheers.

Snowflakes? Why would we Canadians want to think more about winter than we already have to?;)

How about a velvet toque with small maple leaves, tiny moose antlers and miniature beavers embroidered around the edges? Okay, now I'm just being silly.

I have no problem with a Canadian crown of some kind using Canadian diamonds. :flowers: But no snowflakes, please....

A new military medal shows the Queen wearing a (fictional) diadem with alternating maple leaves and snowflakes.

Or why not just go the Nepalese route, for the design of crowns that is or Russian and just concoct a helmet, more or less of gold and platinum and cover it with the most enormous diamonds that could be found, begged, borrowed or stolen. Plop on some Huge colored goodie worth several kings ransom and be done with it. If you must have some kind of design, well they do have flowers in Canada, don't they or is it too cold for that too. Find a simple wildflower that grows all over the place, is beautiful and contrapt diamonds or fancy diamonds or whatever into that and dot the helmet, tastefully, of course, with them and be done with it. Get a five strand diamond collar to go with it and scepter and there you go. Cheers.

I don't really know if the idea of a "crown" means all that much in Canada.

Perhaps it should be a leather cap with antlers out both sides in the style of the headdress of the Tadadaho of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederation. ;-)

:previous:
It might work if there were diamonds dangling from the ends of the antlers. :)

Queen Mary dangled diamonds from everywhere and it worked for her--so.....

Well, good people, one must understand that there are dangles and there are dangles. Good Queen Mary, of happy memory, was totally and completely shameless and brazen and positively flaunted in a style so similar to the princely houses of India all her massive, and I do mean massive goodies. She was magnificent. We must be careful now, not that we should not be brazen, but that our dear royals should not be Over Brazen. That is the trick. Of course being the stomacher creep that I am, and I do love a good stomacher-shame and disgrace they have gone out of style-it is a pity that a superb stomacher could not be part of the regalia of Canada and the King, as well as the Queen, should be expected to wear it.
Antlers, don't be ridiculous. You must understand that there is a infinite difference between being brazen, shameless and magnificent and being ridiculous. Let's see, crown, loaded with all the diamonds, emeralds, rubies, sapphires and pearls one can put on top of one head, an orb, a scepter, also loaded and royal stomacher, ring, and bracelets. All glittering enough in the dark to light up a sports arena. Now there would be regalia indeed. Every Canadian could positively swell up with pride and burst. Cheers.

A welcome return Thomas, and in good form too! :flowers:

I think it would be a great idea for Canada to have a separate crown, along with Australia. It would re-enforce the idea that the Queen reigns separately from all of her other realms, which seems to be one of the main points republicans can't accept. The main issue would be whether the cost is worth something that would sit in a museum in Ottawa (or Canberra:):ausflag:) and be used once every few years when a royal visit co-incides with the opening of parliament.

Perhaps a diadem similar to the one featured in the medal where the Queen looks like Ena Sharples for each realm willing to pay would be more appropriate and cost-effective.

Crown for Australia

I believe that if Canada can have a crown...then all Commonwealth Realms should have a crown..at least ones which desire a crown. I believe Australia should have a crown. The Waratah Crown or the Wattle Crown.

I believe that if Canada can have a crown...then all Commonwealth Realms should have a crown..at least ones which desire a crown. I believe Australia should have a crown. The Waratah Crown or the Wattle Crown.

I think Wattle Crown.;)

Interesting topic! I just saw this post on Facebook and thought that it was interesting because the designer is a Jewellery professor at a College in Canada. I think that this is a beautiful tiara.

Diamonds from Royal Asscher grace Great Britain’s Crown Jewels. Because Royalty is our specialty, Royal Asscher took the opportunity to design a beautiful tiara that will highlight Catherine’s beauty.

The Tiara by jewelry designer Reena Ahluwalia for Royal Asscher, is set with 36 Royal Asscher Cut diamonds, as well as pear and round shaped white diamonds. Vintage inspired tiara is placed on the forehead, inspired by placement of the Strathmore Tiara. Reena.Kate Middleton Royal Asscher Cut Tiara by Reena Ahluwalia | Facebook

Last edited:
I think that Canada doesn't need a crown and is fine the way it is as a commonwealth realm having a crown through would probably make Canada more interesting and have mote tourists come and it Judy won't be to see Niagara falls .

If there was a crown of Canada who would ever wear it and when? Would the Governor General wear it when installed or when opening parliament? Would only the monarch ever wear it? On what occassion? Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada but has only ever opened parliament on 2 or 3 occassions. Seems like it would be an expensive relic rarely if ever worn and left to be displayed for visiting Americans when they come to Ottawa but having no meaning to Canadians. I think Canada is doing fine as it is without creaing its own crown. 140+ yrs after Confederation this idea is probably too late to take hold.

PS , Canada is a very large country that has more to offer tourists than just Niagara Falls.

Back
Top Bottom