Where does the Royal Family live?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Muhler-Now that airspace above some of the British royal residences has been restricted, is there a similar rule in place for the Danish palaces?

For drones, yes.
I haven't heard about any restrictions for planes and helicopters, except they can't go under a certain height, but that rule has been around for years.

Drones can't fly within 150 meters of estates used by the DRF, and as Amalienborg is located in the middle of Copenhagen, drones can't fly there, period. - Unless we are talking about dispensation. I.e. drones used by the firebrigade, police, military or for special purposes for which there is a dispensation from flight to flight.

Last edited:
Tak! You are a treasure of information.

I'd say that Joachim and Marie's new residence is a small mansion. IMO it's too large to class as a house though too small to class as a mansion. I also don't think it's a manor because when I hear the word "manor" I think of places like Knole in Kent (England).
It's very charming though!

:previous: I don't think you can call their house an upper middle class home by any Danish standard.
But you are certainly right in regards to location. As a thumb-rule you can get 3-5 times as much house in the area of Southern Jutland where Schackenborg is located, for the same amount a house north of Copenhagen costs.

An upper middle class house in or near a city in DK would cost some 5-8 million DKK. Joachim paid more than 30 million DKK.

Wow!! I am unused to European size homes (or Northeastern U.S. size homes) these days!

Yes, just look at where Prince Joachim and Princess Marie lives now :flowers:

It's a beautiful house, but it dont look like a manor, palace or castle, just a mansion.

Anyway, I asked it because somewhere was stated that Charles would like to move to windsor castle when he became king, but the British were outraged, because Buckingan is the official home of the head of state.

I particularly found it desnecessary, and would like to know if something similar happen to danish royal family, if Amelienborg hold similar status. Because in Denmark there are tons other really beautiful castles and palaces.

t's really good to know the danishs are more respectful and empathetic to their royal family, but if they want, could they have apartaments in Christiansborg, for example?

Last edited:
The Queen spends more time at Windsor Castle than at Buckingham Palace, so what Charles wants is nothing new actually...

It's a beautiful house, but it dont look like a manor, palace or castle, just a mansion.

Anyway, I asked it because somewhere was stated that Charles would like to move to windsor castle when he became king, but the British were outraged, because Buckingan is the official home of the head of state.

I particularly found it desnecessary, and would like to know if something similar happen to danish royal family, if Amelienborg hold similar status. Because in Denmark there are tons other really beautiful castles and palaces.

t's really good to know the danishs are more respectful and empathetic to their royal family, but if they want, could they have apartaments in Christiansborg, for example?

You mean preferring to live somewhere else than at Amalienborg? That would be seen by the public as very odd.
They could always go to Fredensborg for the weekends anyway.
It would also be impractical as so much of the DRF administration and services are located in the Amalienborg complex.
One big advantage Amalienbor has is that it consists of four mansions, so once every one or two generations one mansions can be thoroughly renovated, while the rest works as usual. And should the terrible thing happen that one mansion burn to the ground, the official residence can after a short renovation be moved to one of the other mansions, while the burned down mansion is rebuild.

It would be impractical to move to Christiansborg, for several reasons, the most important being that there simply isn't room for suitable apartments.
The Parliament, the politicians and the administration takes up all available space as it is.

However, should the DRF for whatever reason relocate to another palace in Copenhagen there are a few alternatives. Frederiksberg Slot is the first that springs to mind. Or perhaps other buildings could be converted to a residence?
But I think I'll leave it to those members who live in or near Copenhagen to answer the question of alternative residences.

It is a 6,500 square foot house. Large no matter where you live.

I think I've lived in the South too long.. you can get 6,500 sq ft for about 1-1.5m U.S. dollars in the Atlanta suburbs - and there's many of them in the suburbs. In Manhattan that's an entire apartment building (that would go for far more)...location, location, location!

However, should the DRF for whatever reason relocate to another palace in Copenhagen there are a few alternatives. Frederiksberg Slot is the first that springs to mind. Or perhaps other buildings could be converted to a residence?
But I think I'll leave it to those members who live in or near Copenhagen to answer the question of alternative residences.

What about Berntorff Slot, Charlottenlund Slot. I guess if lets say Frederik and Mary would not want to live at Amalienborg they could use one them.

Last edited:
Thanks Muhler.
They are all amazing but I would prefer the Bernstorff Slot. I love it.

Thanks for the photos Muhler. The scenery surrounding Frederiksborg is beautiful, though I'm not a fan of the palace itself. Does Countess Alexandra still have an apartment at the palace?
Sorgenfri and Charlottenlund are my next favourites.

Such wonderful photos :flowers:
are these own by the DRF or the government?

Thanks for the photos Muhler. The scenery surrounding Frederiksborg is beautiful, though I'm not a fan of the palace itself. Does Countess Alexandra still have an apartment at the palace?
Sorgenfri and Charlottenlund are my next favourites.

You are welcome all three of you :)

ASAIK Alexandra does not have an apartment at Frederiksborg Slot.

Frederiksborg Slot = Used by the National Museum.

Sorgenfri = At disposal for the DRF, now used as storage for primarily furnitures. Elisabeth live an in staff building.

Charlottenlund Slot = Now used by the state.

Frederiksberg Slot = Officers school for the army.

Bernstorff Slot = Now used by the state for conferences and lectures.

Back
Top Bottom