The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 12-16-2021, 04:17 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,655
Despite her age, she's still an elegant lady with very feminine curves.

https://berlingske.bmcdn.dk/media/ca...-margrethe.jpg

https://cdn.fyn.bazo.dk/images/bba0c.../d/16-9/s/2048

There is a piece in the Conservative, but respectable, newspaper Berlingske today, advocating that it's soon time to build a new Dannebrog.

- There will of course be those who think that would be too expensive. But she's a genuine crowd-pleaser and being used to train conscripts for service in the navy, she serves a purpose other than being a mobile residence.
She's also practical for a country with 7.000 km of coastline and some 400 islands - not to mention Greenland and the Faeroe Islands.
And with DK having the 5th largest merchant fleet in the world a fitting representative for her country.

I honestly don't think there will be that a big an opposition to building a new one.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-16-2021, 04:26 PM
Prinsara's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Despite her age, she's still an elegant lady with very feminine curves.

https://berlingske.bmcdn.dk/media/ca...-margrethe.jpg

https://cdn.fyn.bazo.dk/images/bba0c.../d/16-9/s/2048

There is a piece in the Conservative, but respectable, newspaper Berlingske today, advocating that it's soon time to build a new Dannebrog.

- There will of course be those who think that would be too expensive. But she's a genuine crowd-pleaser and being used to train conscripts for service in the navy, she serves a purpose other than being a mobile residence.
She's also practical for a country with 7.000 km of coastline and some 400 islands - not to mention Greenland and the Faeroe Islands.
And with DK having the 5th largest merchant fleet in the world a fitting representative for her country.

I honestly don't think there will be that a big an opposition to building a new one.
But they're not going to build a new one that looks just the old one, are they? What if it's not so pleasing?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-16-2021, 04:42 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
But they're not going to build a new one that looks just the old one, are they? What if it's not so pleasing?
I can't imagine that not being the case.

There is a long maritime tradition here. I can't see a new Dannebrog resemble some of the modern yacht-monsters we see from time to time.

This is going to be Danish design at it's most elegant. Anything else would cause an uproar!
Anyway we have several renowned yacht-wharves here. But it will also have to be a military vessel, with accommodation for educating and training conscripts and it must be able to sail in arctic waters.

The current Dannebrog (along with the school ship Danmark) was build to be first-class representatives for Danish maritime prowess, I expect nothing less today. - Danmark is also still around, representing DK.

You can clearly tell from her hull that she is related to Dannebrog:
https://www.kanalfrederikshavn.dk/ty...135dbb2e8f.jpg
https://880972.smushcdn.com/1989261/...strip=1&webp=1

Perhaps they will build a new school ship as well?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-22-2022, 04:40 PM
Izzie's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NORTH HOLLYWOOD, United States
Posts: 807
Found this old documentary from 2007

https://youtu.be/47SBB3AOKKs
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-22-2022, 04:59 PM
Tarlita's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Despite her age, she's still an elegant lady with very feminine curves.

https://berlingske.bmcdn.dk/media/ca...-margrethe.jpg

https://cdn.fyn.bazo.dk/images/bba0c.../d/16-9/s/2048

There is a piece in the Conservative, but respectable, newspaper Berlingske today, advocating that it's soon time to build a new Dannebrog.

- There will of course be those who think that would be too expensive. But she's a genuine crowd-pleaser and being used to train conscripts for service in the navy, she serves a purpose other than being a mobile residence.
She's also practical for a country with 7.000 km of coastline and some 400 islands - not to mention Greenland and the Faeroe Islands.
And with DK having the 5th largest merchant fleet in the world a fitting representative for her country.

I honestly don't think there will be that a big an opposition to building a new one.

Oh dear, I absolutely Love the Dannebrog, she is a beautiful graceful elegant vessel, with so much history. I would feel very sad to see her replaced and retired.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-22-2022, 05:22 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Oh dear, I absolutely Love the Dannebrog, she is a beautiful graceful elegant vessel, with so much history. I would feel very sad to see her replaced and retired.
She will no doubt become a much treasured museum. But she is getting old as an active ship, 90 years this year.
She rolls a lot and she is hardly eco-friendly and being that old she does require a lot of maintenance.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-23-2022, 08:13 PM
Izzie's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NORTH HOLLYWOOD, United States
Posts: 807
DR has posted all four parts of a documentary on the Dannebrog on the occasion of it's 90th birthday.



It is viewable for me in the US, so hopefully anyone should be able to watch outside of Denmark.

Part 1: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/episode/konge...igelser_309202

Part 2: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/episode/konge...-ombord_309201

Part 3: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/episode/konge...-venter_309205

Part 4: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/episode/konge...modgang_309203



I was able to have English subtitles by turning on captions on the video (the [=] sign) and then my browser translation feature gave me English subtitles.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-24-2022, 09:18 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,655
I happened to watch the first segment on TV last night and I like watching behind the scene docus.
QMII makes an appearance every five minutes or so, talking about the ship and her and her family's relation to the ship.
And at the same time we follow the conscripts from day one. Arriving at the naval station as raw recruits, most of the straight out of high school.
We also follow some model makers, making a model of Dannebrog.
All that while following the training and preparation for the summer cruises.

The conscripts are 100 % volunteers. In fact there is a two-three year waiting list for serving aboard Dannebrog. And among female conscripts Dannebrog along with the Guards Hussars is the most sought after service.

- It's a little funny for me to watch with an army background and serving as a conscript in the 80s.
While there is more emphasis on discipline in the army, the navy approach is more like taking in apprentices and giving them on the job training.
For some watching the recruits it may look pretty laid back, but you do get qualified sailors in the end.
Anyway, having papers saying that you served aboard Dannebrog is not a hindrance when applying for a job in the future.

So I'm delighted to learn that there are subtitles, it does make watching the docu better than reading a summary by me.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-24-2022, 02:03 PM
Izzie's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NORTH HOLLYWOOD, United States
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I happened to watch the first segment on TV last night and I like watching behind the scene docus.
QMII makes an appearance every five minutes or so, talking about the ship and her and her family's relation to the ship.
And at the same time we follow the conscripts from day one. Arriving at the naval station as raw recruits, most of the straight out of high school.
We also follow some model makers, making a model of Dannebrog.
All that while following the training and preparation for the summer cruises.

The conscripts are 100 % volunteers. In fact there is a two-three year waiting list for serving aboard Dannebrog. And among female conscripts Dannebrog along with the Guards Hussars is the most sought after service.

- It's a little funny for me to watch with an army background and serving as a conscript in the 80s.
While there is more emphasis on discipline in the army, the navy approach is more like taking in apprentices and giving them on the job training.
For some watching the recruits it may look pretty laid back, but you do get qualified sailors in the end.
Anyway, having papers saying that you served aboard Dannebrog is not a hindrance when applying for a job in the future.

So I'm delighted to learn that there are subtitles, it does make watching the docu better than reading a summary by me.
Thanks Muhler. And BTW: Speaking for myself, I always enjoy reading your summaries and hearing your POV.

I enjoyed Part I. It was interesting to see the training and how it almost looks like summer camp at first and then these kids learn really quick there is work involved. They really are "green" when they arrive aren't they. I did laugh when they were trying to figure out the rifles!

I like seeing the old footage of the ship and even how the ship is maintained during the off season. So much history there. Seeing all this gives seeing the DRF traveling on the ship more weight.

BTW as an Aside to everyone: I was able to find on DR that old documentary (Indefra Kongehuset...I think?) and watch all the installments with English subtitles! I have no clue how I found it now, but I know I scrolled through videos when watching the Queen's Jewerly Box docu. I also found the one when Frederik went to the Faroe Islands as well...all with the ability to use my browser translation feature to have the subtitles in English. I advise to go on the DR website and just search around!!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-24-2022, 02:19 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
Thanks Muhler. And BTW: Speaking for myself, I always enjoy reading your summaries and hearing your POV.

I enjoyed Part I. It was interesting to see the training and how it almost looks like summer camp at first and then these kids learn really quick there is work involved. They really are "green" when they arrive aren't they. I did laugh when they were trying to figure out the rifles!

I like seeing the old footage of the ship and even how the ship is maintained during the off season. So much history there. Seeing all this gives seeing the DRF traveling on the ship more weight.

BTW as an Aside to everyone: I was able to find on DR that old documentary (Indefra Kongehuset...I think?) and watch all the installments with English subtitles! I have no clue how I found it now, but I know I scrolled through videos when watching the Queen's Jewerly Box docu. I also found the one when Frederik went to the Faroe Islands as well...all with the ability to use my browser translation feature to have the subtitles in English. I advise to go on the DR website and just search around!!
Great.

Yes, I suggest these words for your search: Kongehuset, kronprins, kronprinsesse, royalt, dronning, margrethe, Frederik.

That should cover quite some ground.

And of course you can download the videos using a video downloadhelper app. But that will be without subtitles. Well, at least I haven't figured out yet how to add subtitles to downloaded rips from dr.dk.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05-30-2022, 03:36 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,655
I happened to watch the second segment, that Izzie has kindly provided links to, on TV tonight.

The recruits are still very enthusiastic and eager, after all this is something the really want and have been looking forward to.
In the navy they allow them to vent that eagerness within reason, while in the army there is more discipline and correct behavior.
As such these recruits react with enthusiasm when called out on their first alert and field exercise.
We follow them when boarding Dannebrog and learning the ropes aboard. The approach is still more on taking aboard apprentices rather than recruits.
- It also demonstrates why I am personally so much in favor of mixed gender units in the military, when possible - and anywhere else for that matter - the approach, attitude and atmosphere is different and for the better.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-05-2022, 01:18 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 68,217
The Dannebrog pictured at Sønderborg Harbour yesterday evening, August 4, prior to a short journey with Queen Margrethe:


** kongehuset Instagram gallery **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Cruise aboard the Royal Yacht Dannebrog: June 17-19, 2008 Paty Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 101 08-27-2021 08:42 PM
Crown Prince Couple Cruise Aboard the Dannebrog: July 26-29, 2004 hrhcp Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 108 08-27-2021 08:38 PM
The Royal Yacht "Norge" Her_Majesty Norwegian Royal Residences 7 08-12-2020 03:50 PM
Controversy about the Maintenance Costs of Beatrix's Sailing Yacht: 2007-2010 Marengo Princess Beatrix 56 02-27-2016 06:45 AM




Popular Tags
abdullah ii africa albert prince consort america arcadie claret austria braganza british royal family caribbean caroline castile charles iii claret congo current events danish royal family death de la cerda denmark dubai expo duchess of kent duke of cambridge elizabeth ii empress masako espana genealogy general news grimaldi guzman hamdan bin ahmed history identifying india introduction ivrea jordan royal family king charles king edward iii king henry iii king philippe king willem-alexander louis mountbatten maria ii matrilineal monarchy mountbatten need help official visit order of precedence orleans-braganza pedro ii prince albert monaco prince andrew princess of orange queen camilla queen elizabeth queen ena of spain queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria restoration royal initials spain spanish history spanish royal family state visit switzerland visit wine glass


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises