The Royal Yacht Dannebrog

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leander has been chartered in the past. It's for sale actually & very nice but not as lovely as the Dannebrog.

Last edited:
Just watched the Danish movie "Druk" (English title is Another Round") in the original version with English subtitles. The movie is Denmark's contender for the Oscar as best foreign movie, won numerous awards already (including 4 awards at the European movie awards) and was really fun, even though they didn't omit the dark sides of trying to live more intensively through drinking alcohol. Good movie!

But back to the Dannebrog! The yacht was in the movie as well. By chance because she sailed into Copenhagen harbour when they shot the last scene of the movie and then moored there. So when Mads Mikkelsen looks out over the water, you can see her prominently displayed there. A fitting scene IMHO for a "Ridder" of the order of the Dannebrog!

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-ombord-dannebrog-hjaelper-familie-i-havsnoed
https://www.tv2east.dk/odsherred/kongeskibet-kom-boernefamilie-til-undsaetning

QMII will board Dannebrog tomorrow in Copenhagen. (And I guess sail for Aarhus and Marselisborg. She often sail to Aarhus.)
While testing her engines Wednesday Dannebrog assisted a family in distress.
First she encountered a red dinghy floating upside down. There were no one around, so the dinghy was hoisted aboard for further investigation. And while doing that the Navy Operational Command called in about a sailing boat in distress. It was dead calm and the engines didn't work, so the boat, containing a family couldn't steer. - There is still current though, so that makes it dangerous, because there are large international shipping lanes in that general area.
So Dannebrog set course for the boat and put one of her boats in the water. The team managed to get the engine running, and the happy family could steer their boat again.

As a navy ship Dannebrog is required to offer assistance to boats and ships in distress and it's a quite common task when the DRF are not aboard.
But it also happens when DRF members are aboard. Responding to emergencies takes precedence. So if a mayday is picked up, Dannebrog will sail to assistance if she is close enough, also if QMII is having an upcoming event. That'll have to wait.

Incidentally. Dannebrog was originally designed to double as a hospital ship. (Basically ferrying wounded from various parts of Denmark. There were hardly any bridges across the sounds back in 1934, so everyone had to sail.)
Today her NATO classification is as an auxiliary ship.

And as I have mentioned before, she is the first ship in the navy. So all other Danish navy ships are obliged to salute Dannebrog if they pass her. And that includes an honor detachment lining up on the deck taking off their covers and saluting Dannebrog.

Last edited:
And it happened.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/kongeskibet-i-redningsaktion-kutter-fundet

While on her way yo Aalborg with QMII aboard, Dannebrog was alerted by a mayday call. A fishing boat with two aboard was sinking.
Navy Operational Command, alerted navy units in the area, a helicopter as well as civilian shipping in the area and that included Dannebrog which changed course significantly as you can tell from the plotting in the article.
The mayday came in at around 06.00. At 08.30 a rescuer was aboard the fishing boat, that was still afloat. The boat was towed into harbor for repair.

- I don't think Dannebrog was the first on the spot, otherwise we'd seen it in the article.

I guess they woke and informed her adjutant, but hardly QMII for what was a routine task.

Dannebrog is not a fast ship, about 25-30 km an hour, so I estimate she will be near Aalborg around 14.00.

Those new multi million dollar yachts are nice and modern, but they don't have The Romance the Dannebrog has.
That's the best descriptive word I can think of for her.

M/S Maritime Museum: The royal ship Dannebrog is celebrated in new special exhibition

In 2022, the Royal Ship Dannebrog turns 90 years old. It marks the M/S Maritime Museum with a special exhibition about the floating castle. The exhibition will be inaugurated on 8 February 2022 and give the public an insight into life on board - from the everyday life of the crew to the royal family's private life at sea.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/dk/have-...-dannebrog-hyldes-i-ny-saerudstilling-3151193

The article details some of what will be on display as well.

Despite her age, she's still an elegant lady with very feminine curves.

https://berlingske.bmcdn.dk/media/c...3/23819273-dannebrog---dronning-margrethe.jpg

https://cdn.fyn.bazo.dk/images/bba0c7aa-f9b4-47ba-8ff0-04dc2eb3e151/d/16-9/s/2048

There is a piece in the Conservative, but respectable, newspaper Berlingske today, advocating that it's soon time to build a new Dannebrog.

- There will of course be those who think that would be too expensive. But she's a genuine crowd-pleaser and being used to train conscripts for service in the navy, she serves a purpose other than being a mobile residence.
She's also practical for a country with 7.000 km of coastline and some 400 islands - not to mention Greenland and the Faeroe Islands.
And with DK having the 5th largest merchant fleet in the world a fitting representative for her country.

I honestly don't think there will be that a big an opposition to building a new one.

https://berlingske.bmcdn.dk/media/c...3/23819273-dannebrog---dronning-margrethe.jpg

https://cdn.fyn.bazo.dk/images/bba0c7aa-f9b4-47ba-8ff0-04dc2eb3e151/d/16-9/s/2048

There is a piece in the Conservative, but respectable, newspaper Berlingske today, advocating that it's soon time to build a new Dannebrog.

- There will of course be those who think that would be too expensive. But she's a genuine crowd-pleaser and being used to train conscripts for service in the navy, she serves a purpose other than being a mobile residence.
She's also practical for a country with 7.000 km of coastline and some 400 islands - not to mention Greenland and the Faeroe Islands.
And with DK having the 5th largest merchant fleet in the world a fitting representative for her country.

I honestly don't think there will be that a big an opposition to building a new one.

But they're not going to build a new one that looks just the old one, are they? What if it's not so pleasing?

But they're not going to build a new one that looks just the old one, are they? What if it's not so pleasing?

I can't imagine that not being the case.

There is a long maritime tradition here. I can't see a new Dannebrog resemble some of the modern yacht-monsters we see from time to time.

This is going to be Danish design at it's most elegant. Anything else would cause an uproar!
Anyway we have several renowned yacht-wharves here. But it will also have to be a military vessel, with accommodation for educating and training conscripts and it must be able to sail in arctic waters.

The current Dannebrog (along with the school ship Danmark) was build to be first-class representatives for Danish maritime prowess, I expect nothing less today. - Danmark is also still around, representing DK.

You can clearly tell from her hull that she is related to Dannebrog:
https://www.kanalfrederikshavn.dk/typo3temp/_processed_/csm_106022_16318850932204_135dbb2e8f.jpg
https://880972.smushcdn.com/1989261/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/1J8E7638.jpg?lossy=1&strip=1&webp=1

Perhaps they will build a new school ship as well?

Found this old documentary from 2007

Oh dear, I absolutely Love the Dannebrog, she is a beautiful graceful elegant vessel, with so much history. I would feel very sad to see her replaced and retired.

Oh dear, I absolutely Love the Dannebrog, she is a beautiful graceful elegant vessel, with so much history. I would feel very sad to see her replaced and retired.

She will no doubt become a much treasured museum. But she is getting old as an active ship, 90 years this year.
She rolls a lot and she is hardly eco-friendly and being that old she does require a lot of maintenance.

DR has posted all four parts of a documentary on the Dannebrog on the occasion of it's 90th birthday.

It is viewable for me in the US, so hopefully anyone should be able to watch outside of Denmark.

Part 1: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/episode/kongeskibet-_-i-dronningens-tjeneste_-nye-forpligtigelser_309202

Part 2: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/episode/kongeskibet-_-i-dronningens-tjeneste_-endelig-ombord_309201

Part 3: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/episode/kongeskibet-_-i-dronningens-tjeneste_-nordatlanten-venter_309205

Part 4: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/episode/kongeskibet-_-i-dronningens-tjeneste_-i-medgang-og-modgang_309203

I was able to have English subtitles by turning on captions on the video (the [=] sign) and then my browser translation feature gave me English subtitles.

:previous: I happened to watch the first segment on TV last night and I like watching behind the scene docus.
QMII makes an appearance every five minutes or so, talking about the ship and her and her family's relation to the ship.
And at the same time we follow the conscripts from day one. Arriving at the naval station as raw recruits, most of the straight out of high school.
We also follow some model makers, making a model of Dannebrog.
All that while following the training and preparation for the summer cruises.

The conscripts are 100 % volunteers. In fact there is a two-three year waiting list for serving aboard Dannebrog. And among female conscripts Dannebrog along with the Guards Hussars is the most sought after service.

- It's a little funny for me to watch with an army background and serving as a conscript in the 80s.
While there is more emphasis on discipline in the army, the navy approach is more like taking in apprentices and giving them on the job training.
For some watching the recruits it may look pretty laid back, but you do get qualified sailors in the end.
Anyway, having papers saying that you served aboard Dannebrog is not a hindrance when applying for a job in the future.

So I'm delighted to learn that there are subtitles, it does make watching the docu better than reading a summary by me.

:previous: I happened to watch the first segment on TV last night and I like watching behind the scene docus.
QMII makes an appearance every five minutes or so, talking about the ship and her and her family's relation to the ship.
And at the same time we follow the conscripts from day one. Arriving at the naval station as raw recruits, most of the straight out of high school.
We also follow some model makers, making a model of Dannebrog.
All that while following the training and preparation for the summer cruises.

The conscripts are 100 % volunteers. In fact there is a two-three year waiting list for serving aboard Dannebrog. And among female conscripts Dannebrog along with the Guards Hussars is the most sought after service.

- It's a little funny for me to watch with an army background and serving as a conscript in the 80s.
While there is more emphasis on discipline in the army, the navy approach is more like taking in apprentices and giving them on the job training.
For some watching the recruits it may look pretty laid back, but you do get qualified sailors in the end.
Anyway, having papers saying that you served aboard Dannebrog is not a hindrance when applying for a job in the future.

So I'm delighted to learn that there are subtitles, it does make watching the docu better than reading a summary by me.

Thanks Muhler. And BTW: Speaking for myself, I always enjoy reading your summaries and hearing your POV.

I enjoyed Part I. It was interesting to see the training and how it almost looks like summer camp at first and then these kids learn really quick there is work involved. They really are "green" when they arrive aren't they. I did laugh when they were trying to figure out the rifles!

I like seeing the old footage of the ship and even how the ship is maintained during the off season. So much history there. Seeing all this gives seeing the DRF traveling on the ship more weight.

BTW as an Aside to everyone: I was able to find on DR that old documentary (Indefra Kongehuset...I think?) and watch all the installments with English subtitles! I have no clue how I found it now, but I know I scrolled through videos when watching the Queen's Jewerly Box docu. I also found the one when Frederik went to the Faroe Islands as well...all with the ability to use my browser translation feature to have the subtitles in English. I advise to go on the DR website and just search around!!

Thanks Muhler. And BTW: Speaking for myself, I always enjoy reading your summaries and hearing your POV.

I enjoyed Part I. It was interesting to see the training and how it almost looks like summer camp at first and then these kids learn really quick there is work involved. They really are "green" when they arrive aren't they. I did laugh when they were trying to figure out the rifles!

I like seeing the old footage of the ship and even how the ship is maintained during the off season. So much history there. Seeing all this gives seeing the DRF traveling on the ship more weight.

BTW as an Aside to everyone: I was able to find on DR that old documentary (Indefra Kongehuset...I think?) and watch all the installments with English subtitles! I have no clue how I found it now, but I know I scrolled through videos when watching the Queen's Jewerly Box docu. I also found the one when Frederik went to the Faroe Islands as well...all with the ability to use my browser translation feature to have the subtitles in English. I advise to go on the DR website and just search around!!

Great. ?

Yes, I suggest these words for your search: Kongehuset, kronprins, kronprinsesse, royalt, dronning, margrethe, Frederik.

That should cover quite some ground.

And of course you can download the videos using a video downloadhelper app. ;) But that will be without subtitles. Well, at least I haven't figured out yet how to add subtitles to downloaded rips from dr.dk.

I happened to watch the second segment, that Izzie has kindly provided links to, on TV tonight.

The recruits are still very enthusiastic and eager, after all this is something the really want and have been looking forward to.
In the navy they allow them to vent that eagerness within reason, while in the army there is more discipline and correct behavior.
As such these recruits react with enthusiasm when called out on their first alert and field exercise.
We follow them when boarding Dannebrog and learning the ropes aboard. The approach is still more on taking aboard apprentices rather than recruits.
- It also demonstrates why I am personally so much in favor of mixed gender units in the military, when possible - and anywhere else for that matter - the approach, attitude and atmosphere is different and for the better.

Back
Top Bottom