Schackenborg Castle, Tønder

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulette

Courtier
Country
Philippines
Schackenborg Castle

Schackenborg Castle lies in the village of Møgeltønder, five kilometres west of Tønder.
The Castle was transferred to the King following the Reformation, and in 1661, the King turned the Castle over to General Hans Schack out of gratitude for the General's service in the war against the Swedes.
The Castle belonged to the Schack family for eleven generations before being returned to the Royal Family in 1978.
Schackenborg Castle was transferred to Prince Joachim in 1993, and he and his former wife, Countess Alexandra, settled there following their 1995 marriage. Prince Joachim now lives their with his second wife, Princess Marie; their newborn son, and on weekends are joined by Joachim's two eldest sons, Princes Nikolai and Felix, from his marriage to Countess Alexandra.​

---
3. Schackenborg Palace

4. Schackenborg Palace- Official residence of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra

Attachments

• Schackenborg_Palace.jpg
    Schackenborg_Palace.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 3,357
  • Schackenborg_Palace.1.jpg
    Schackenborg_Palace.1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,030
Last edited by a moderator:
Joachim Home - Schackenborg Castle

How big is the castle and are there any pictures rom the inside?

Schackenborgs slott

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 2,242
5 km west of Toender stands the idyllic village Moegeltoender, the history of which dates far back. Here you will find "The most beautiful village street in Northern Europe", and "Moegeltoenderhus" better know as Schackenborg Castle. In 1661, General Hans Schack was granted the castle owing to his "allegiance and willing duty" to the king during the war against Sweden. He named it "Schackenborg" and for 11 generations the castle was in the ownership of the Schack Family.
In 1978, Schackenborg Castle, its farms and lands was returned to the Crown, and in 1993 it went into possession of Prince Joachim, the younger son of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. In 1995, Prince Joachim and his wife Princess Alexandra took up residence at "Schackenborg", and on the occasion of the Royal Marriage a national subscription was raised. The proceeds, about 13 million DDK were used for reconstruction of the palace.

paulette said:
better know as Schackenborg Castle. In 1661, General Hans Schack was granted the castle owing to his "allegiance and willing duty" to the king during the war against Sweden. He named it "Schackenborg" and for 11 generations the castle was in the ownership of the Schack Family.
In 1978, Schackenborg Castle, its farms and lands was returned to the Crown

How am I to understand this ?
- this castle always belonged to the Crown and was returned on request ?
- the Schack family had no heirs ?
- the Schack family had no further use of it ?
- the Schack family found it hard to turn down a good offer from the Queen ?
- the Schack family gave it to the Queen ?

In 1978, the Prince, who was born on June 7, 1969 inherited the large southern Jutland estate of Schackenborg in Møgeltønder from the childless Count Hans and Countess Karin Schack

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 789
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 712
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 806
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 605
Prince Joachim was also their godson so at an early age, he already owned a vast land in Møgeltønder.

Schackenborg Slot

Schackenborg Palace

inside Schackenborg Palace

Prince Joachim and family inside the palace

Attachments

• s4.gif
    s4.gif
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,121
  • sle.jpg
    sle.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 4,534
  • couple.jpg
    couple.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,816
  • Cute_Family..jpg
    Cute_Family..jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,728
  • gud.jpg
    gud.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 614
wonder what it looks like inside?

Is there a hotel near by, I read something about that, and i think the prince and princess own that hotel...

Is it far from Copenhagen ???

Here is it exactly in Denmark ???

It´s about 320 kms from Copenhagen. It is in Southern Jutland near the German border.

Do they have home im Copenhagen? their castle is far from it

alola said:
Do they have home im Copenhagen? their castle is far from it
Yes, they have an apartment at Amalienborg Castle in Copenhagen.

Is it a palace, castle or something else? I am confused as to what the "manor house" really is.

Josefine said:
wonder what it looks like inside?

Is there a hotel near by, I read something about that, and i think the prince and princess own that hotel...
Yes, there is a hotel owned by the couple right beside the castle: 'Schackenborg Slotskro'.

I have a wonderfull book on all danish royal castles. There is some good pics of parts of the interior of the castle. I haven't seen these pictures online.

I can scan them, but I wouldn't know, how to post them. I think, they will be large in kb.

If anyone can help me how to post them, please let me know.

Thanks for your answer ;) because I'm gonna do a trip in Denmark soon .. and I'd like to see the castle of the Queen .. but this one is quite far from Copenhagen .. too bad !!

Does anyone have any pictures of Schackenborg Castle that they woud like to share with us? It seems that some of picture links in this thread no longer work and I would love to see more of this castle. Thanks in advance.

Castle looks beautiful! how long he and Alex lived house?

Sara Boyce

Joachim got the palace when he was very young, 9 or something like that I think?
He and Alexandra lived there together from their engagement/marriage in 1995

where on the estate does alexandra parents live

and wonder if the monogram will change

Attachments

• CH104570_guest.jpg
    CH104570_guest.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 347
It has been stated that the monogram will remain. (Though, I'm certain that if Joachim remarries, some action will be taken...)

norwegianne said:
It has been stated that the monogram will remain. (Though, I'm certain that if Joachim remarries, some action will be taken...)

thank you
well it would be strange if her A was left at the gate if he re marries
i am trying to find a few photos of the castle but i do not find any that good to post

Oh, I adore this castle! I'd live there in a second! It's grand as a castle should be, but also has the warmth of a home.:) :) :) :)

BTW, thanks rchaino! I didn't think any inside pics existed!

thank you so much for these, rchaino !!
Schackenborg seems like a perfect place to grow up in.
it's so cute they put a photo of Alex's late dog (oscar is it?)

Joachim lives 320km from Copenhagen (near the german border) and Frederik lives 45km from Copenhagen. Is that right?

rchainho said:
Joachim lives 320km from Copenhagen (near the german border) and Frederik lives 45km from Copenhagen. Is that right?
It sounds about right.

The house does look beautiful :) how long has he lived there

Royal Fan said:
The house does look beautiful :) how long has he lived there
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik bought it for him in 1978, if memory serves me right. He took over in 1993, but didn't move in until after the marriage to Alexandra in 1995. So, about ten years.

Back
Top Bottom