Schackenborg Castle, Tønder

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello!!
Can someone tell me the exact address of this Schackenborg castle?:confused:

thank you so so much!!:)

Mollie said:
Hello!!

The castle is not open to the public.

It is situated about five km from Tønder, in the south of Denmark, close to the German border.

Layla1971 said:
Oh, I adore this castle! I'd live there in a second! It's grand as a castle should be, but also has the warmth of a home.:) :) :) :)

BTW, thanks rchaino! I didn't think any inside pics existed!
I think this castle is a little .... uuhm .... ''petite''. (it's actually called a manor house on the Danish court's web site). I can assure you I wouldn't settle for anything smaller than Fredensborg, not even if Joachim was on his knees in front of me :rolleyes:

Mollie said:
Hello!!

If you wanna send a letter to the prince you write on the envelope:

H.K.H. Prins Joachim
Schackenborg
DK - 6270 Tønder
Danmark

Map of Denmark: (I hope the link works)
Schackenborg is in the centre of the red circle:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=1700000.60136371&Y=7600000.95256323&width=700&height=400&gride=980664.601363712&gridn=7315648.95256323&srec=0&coordsys=mercator&db=DK&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=4000000&left.x=5&left.y=145

norwegianne said:
It has been stated that the monogram will remain. (Though, I'm certain that if Joachim remarries, some action will be taken...)
:D

Or Joachim will simply have to find himself an Anna or an Amelia or something (checking my own passport :rolleyes: ) and he won't have to deal with this awkward headache.

Daneborn said:
Or Joachim will simply have to find himself an Anna or an Amelia or something (checking my own passport :rolleyes: ) and he won't have to deal with this awkward headache.
also he will save money on it;)

galuhcandrakirana said:
also he will save money on it;)
you mean we (the taxpayer's association) will save money on it :p

Schack Family

I am interested in finding out more information about the Schackenborg castle and my family that once lived there. Can anyone help?

norwegianne said:
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik bought it for him in 1978, if memory serves me right. He took over in 1993, but didn't move in until after the marriage to Alexandra in 1995. So, about ten years.

I didn't know that Her Majesty and the Prince Consort had purchased it specifically for Joachim all those years ago. I had always heard that it was passed on to him from his godparents who didn't have any children or something like that. :confused:

Schackenborg has a long history, but the previous owner of the estate was the Schack family who owned it for 11 generations.

In 1978, the last head of the Schack family, Count Hans Schack, died without having produced any children - and he willed the estate to the then 9 year old Prince Joachim. Schackenborg was then added to the other royal residences, before the Prince overtook the management of it in 1993.

Isabel said:
I didn't know that Her Majesty and the Prince Consort had purchased it specifically for Joachim all those years ago. I had always heard that it was passed on to him from his godparents who didn't have any children or something like that. :confused:

I was not bought. For hundreds years ago it was given to the nobility and they could keep Scakenborg as long as they had sons to pas it on to.
the last count didnt have children and there for it was given back to the crown

It's beautiful, but I agree with the comment upthread that it is more of a manor house than a castle, per se, even though that is what it might be known as by title.

I wonder if any of his boys are set to take over Schackenborg? Does anyone know if they have indicated something or does anyone have any thoughts about the matter?

I have been looking through this thread, and I have some questions:
Schackenborg: is is private property or state?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking through this thread, and I have some questions:

Schackenborg is owned by the royal family; it says that it was 'transferred' to Joachim in the early 70s when he was just a boy. Margrethe and Henrik were good friends of the Schack couple who owned it but due to their own childlessness they agreed to transfer it to Joachim. I don't think the purchase sum and the conditions for the purchase were every published but after some years there were apparently disagreements as to the terms and the regent couple and the Schacks had a falling out. The Schacks weren't at J&A's wedding either.

Schackenborg is private property, purchased in 1978 by the Queen and Prince Henrik for Prince Joachim.

Does anyone know what changes Princess Marie has done at Schackenborg Castle/Manor ?
Are any pictures available on the inside of this beautiful home?
Due to the fact that it is a historic building are repairs/changes okayed by a Historic Society or is just up to Prince Joachim ??

Due to the harsh winters does this beautiful home have a greenhouse to grow flowers,fruit trees, and of course veggies ?

What about a swimming pool (inside would be more practical) ??

Thanks,

Schackenborg is owned by the royal family; it says that it was 'transferred' to Joachim in the early 70s when he was just a boy. Margrethe and Henrik were good friends of the Schack couple who owned it but due to their own childlessness they agreed to transfer it to Joachim. I don't think the purchase sum and the conditions for the purchase were every published but after some years there were apparently disagreements as to the terms and the regent couple and the Schacks had a falling out. The Schacks weren't at J&A's wedding either.
well, i wonder what happen in between them that they were not even in his wedding, for what reason a falling out!!! this lookk for a good movie!!!!

well, i wonder what happen in between them that they were not even in his wedding, for what reason a falling out!!! this lookk for a good movie!!!!

I have read that it was a question of furniture, but I dont know if that is true. The story goes, that when they turned the castle over to the royal family, they removed all the old furniture. And that was a point of some disbute. But this may simply be one of those stupid stories, and if I am stepping over the line, a mod should feel free to delete this.

it could be true but to fall out just for furniture , it has to be soemthing else!!!!! I listen too that Alexandra didn't like to live there it was too far for her from the city i am not sure if this is just a gosspi or ture? may be soembody can clarified this better

I have read that it was a question of furniture, but I dont know if that is true. The story goes, that when they turned the castle over to the royal family, they removed all the old furniture. And that was a point of some disbute. But this may simply be one of those stupid stories, and if I am stepping over the line, a mod should feel free to delete this.

I think you are right about the furniture Tricota. But there must have been something else as well..............

i just was thinking , must be nice for Joahim to inherit such a beautiful place and not to have to pay mortgage! althought i imagine the taxes are hight! who pay for the upkeep of the place himself or the goverment? any photo of the new gate with marie initial? does sthe kids go to school there? it is long trip to comute with kobenhavn!!!!!!

Did the Schakcks attend his first WEdding. The ount die already a few years ago so he could not attend the Wedding last year.

i just was thinking , must be nice for Joahim to inherit such a beautiful place and not to have to pay mortgage! althought i imagine the taxes are hight! who pay for the upkeep of the place himself or the goverment? any photo of the new gate with marie initial? does sthe kids go to school there? it is long trip to comute with kobenhavn!!!!!!

I believe the upkeep is paid for by Joachim. The Royal Family does not pay income tax, though I am not sure the same goes for property tax.

The 2 young Princes, go to Krebs Skole, a private school in the Østerbro area of Copenhagen. It is the same school as Joachim and Frederik attended.

A small photo of the new monogram of the port, can be found here http://www.overgaard.dk/thorstenovergaardcom_copyrighted_graphics/L1310639_CROP_GIFT_350w.jpg

And here - http://dori-stories.com/places/den/slides/Gate%20to%20Schackenborg%20Castle%20in%20Mogeltonder.jpg

Did the Schakcks attend his first WEdding. The ount die already a few years ago so he could not attend the Wedding last year.
As far as I recall, relations between the royal family and the Schack family cooled considerably years before Joachim's first marriage. There was a lot of media speculation that the cause of disagreement had to do with the financial conditions for Joachim's taking over Schackenborg.

I believe the upkeep is paid for by Joachim. The Royal Family does not pay income tax, though I am not sure the same goes for property tax.

The 2 young Princes, go to Krebs Skole, a private school in the Østerbro area of Copenhagen. It is the same school as Joachim and Frederik attended.

A small photo of the new monogram of the port, can be found here http://www.overgaard.dk/thorstenovergaardcom_copyrighted_graphics/L1310639_CROP_GIFT_350w.jpg

And here - http://dori-stories.com/places/den/slides/Gate to Schackenborg Castle in Mogeltonder.jpg
Tusind tak! 1000 thanks, for all the info. So the kids I preusme they live more with the mother becasue they cold not do everyday such a trip to go to school! the gate it is beautiful and it looks everything so well kept, so nice and tidy! how danish feel that they work hard to pay taxes and the royals with alltheir moeny they do not pay tax? do you have any idea how much it cost the school, i was trying to find it in the web site but i can't? {Removed off-topic question}

As far as I recall, relations between the royal family and the Schack family cooled considerably years before Joachim's first marriage. There was a lot of media speculation that the cause of disagreement had to do with the financial conditions for Joachim's taking over Schackenborg.

Could it also be because the Castle was in not a good condition when Joachim took it over. After all the peoples gift for his first marriage was money for the renovation of the Castle.

Could it also be because the Castle was in not a good condition when Joachim took it over. After all the peoples gift for his first marriage was money for the renovation of the Castle.
It might be; that was one of the guesses at the time - that perhaps the 'gift' to prince Joachim proved to be unexpectedly expensive for the queen and prince Henrik.

I was not bought. For hundreds years ago it was given to the nobility and they could keep Scakenborg as long as they had sons to pas it on to.
the last count didnt have children and there for it was given back to the crown

This is what I've read too! Alledgedly one of the original stipulations from 1661 was that Schackenborg should be returned to the Crown if there were no male heirs. I am not sure whether this was still in force when Count Hans Schack handed back the estate to the Queen in 1978, but I think that I remember him saying something to this effect!

Schackenborg was given back to "The Crown" (the Royal House) especially with the future of Prince Joachim in mind. He didn't take possession of Schackenborg till 1993.

We don't know the terms and agreement of the take-over, but it is rather obvious that one of the parties didn't do their home work! It turned out that Schackenborg was partly is disrepair, most of the inventory had been removed and there were problems with the morgages as well. It turned out to be a costly affair for the Queen!

IIRC Prince Joachim once commented on the problems of the take-over, I just cannot find it right now. Can any of my compatriots help ???

I never thought that Schackenborg was the best solution for the hay fever suffering Prince Joachim! He didn't really have a choice,and maybe he would have preferred a different career, e.g. in the Armed Forces.

A photo of the Schacks and the royal family from 1978
Politiken.dk - det levende net

Just deleted some off-topic posts. If you have questions about Danish schools and taxes or what have you, please ask them in Members' Corner or by private message.

Thanks, :flowers:
Mandy

This is what I've read too! Alledgedly one of the original stipulations from 1661 was that Schackenborg should be returned to the Crown if there were no male heirs. I am not sure whether this was still in force when Count Hans Schack handed back the estate to the Queen in 1978, but I think that I remember him saying something to this effect!

Schackenborg was given back to "The Crown" (the Royal House) especially with the future of Prince Joachim in mind. He didn't take possession of Schackenborg till 1993.

We don't know the terms and agreement of the take-over, but it is rather obvious that one of the parties didn't do their home work! It turned out that Schackenborg was partly is disrepair, most of the inventory had been removed and there were problems with the morgages as well. It turned out to be a costly affair for the Queen!

IIRC Prince Joachim once commented on the problems of the take-over, I just cannot find it right now. Can any of my compatriots help ???

I never thought that Schackenborg was the best solution for the hay fever suffering Prince Joachim! He didn't really have a choice,and maybe he would have preferred a different career, e.g. in the Armed Forces.

A photo of the Schacks and the royal family from 1978
Politiken.dk - det levende net

VIV, thank you so much, I haven't seen most of those photos.

Back
Top Bottom