Marselisborg Palace, Aarhus

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
www.ibl.se - Marselisborg Castle, interieur - 20040316 EXCLUSIVE Aarhus, Denmark - Marselisborg Castle, the private castle of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik Photo: Klaus Möller / Colourpress

www.ibl.se - Marselisborg Castle, interieur - 20040316 EXCLUSIVE Aarhus, Denmark - Marselisborg Castle, the private castle of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik Photo: Klaus Möller / Colourpress

www.ibl.se - Marselisborg Castle, Frederik's apartment - 20040316 EXCLUSIVE Aarhus, Denmark - Marselisborg Castle, the private castle of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik Photo: Klaus Möller / Colourpress

www.ibl.se - Marselisborg Castle, Frederik's apartment - 20040316 EXCLUSIVE Aarhus, Denmark - Marselisborg Castle, the private castle of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik Photo: Klaus Möller / Colourpress

www.ibl.se - Marselisborg Castle - 20040316 EXCLUSIVE Aarhus, Denmark - Marselisborg Castle, the private castle of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik Photo: Klaus Möller / Colourpress

www.ibl.se - Marselisborg Castle - 20040316 EXCLUSIVE Aarhus, Denmark - Marselisborg Castle, the private castle of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik Photo: Klaus Möller / Colourpress

Attachments

• Marselsiborg_Slot_6.jpg
    Marselsiborg_Slot_6.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,145
  • Marselsiborg_Slot_5.jpg
    Marselsiborg_Slot_5.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 6,227
  • Marselsiborg_Slot_7.jpg
    Marselsiborg_Slot_7.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 3,882
  • Marselsiborg_Slot_8.jpg
    Marselsiborg_Slot_8.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2,264
  • Marselisborg_slot_5.jpg
    Marselisborg_slot_5.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,131
  • Marselisborg_slot_5a.jpg
    Marselisborg_slot_5a.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,099
  • Marselisborg_slot_2.jpg
    Marselisborg_slot_2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,234
  • Marselisborg_slot_1.jpg
    Marselisborg_slot_1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 2,095
Thanks for the great pictures Alexandria. I must say I'm surprised to see deer antlers. Somewhere I had the idea that was a specialty of the Wild West, but I must be wrong. :innocent:

:flower: Thank you, Alexandria, for those beautiful pictures. I have been a few times in front of the palace and always wondered how it would be inside. :flower:
I have visited Christiansborg Palace tree or four times and it is a very beautiful place, too. :lucky:

Alexandria said:
I like the art, the paintings, and the bold use of yellow on the walls ... but where is the comfort? I would adopt this room for my own if it had a cushy chair in it with a high walled back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking through this thread, and I have some questions:

Marselisborg is privatly owned by the Queen, is it her summer residence?

Marselisborg is privatly owned by the Queen, is it her summer residence?
Marselisborg, Gråsten and the yacht Dannebrog are all among the summer residences of the Queen. I believe she will also spend easter at Marselisborg (which is why there wasn't a balcony scene in Copenhagen a couple of years back, as HM's birthday was during easter week.)

Sorry but I am still confused. Some articles say this castle was "given" to Margrethe & Henrik in 1967 by her father King Frederik, including the 32-acre park & outside swimming pool..............
does this mean that the Queen owns this palace outright (like they do the Chateau) or does Denmark own this Castle and they get the use of it ????

It seems large, how many guests/family members does it hold

Sorry but I am still confused. Some articles say this castle was "given" to Margrethe & Henrik in 1967 by her father King Frederik, including the 32-acre park & outside swimming pool..............
does this mean that the Queen owns this palace outright (like they do the Chateau) or does Denmark own this Castle and they get the use of it ????

It seems large, how many guests/family members does it hold

Yes, Marselisborg Manor is the private property of the DRF/Monarch.
The manor was build by the municipality of Aarhus, in the early 1900's and presented to the DRF, to use as they please.

I understand that Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid rarely visited the manor and there were serious discussions in Aarhus about aquiring the manor back from the DRF, as the manor is located in one of the most attractive places in Aarhus. It could then be used for the benefit of the citizens of Aarhus instead.
However since QMII took over, the manor is visited regularly every year and these visites are appreciated by the citizens of Aarhus. Aarhus being the second largets city in DK.

It will be interesting to see how much M&F will use Marselisborg in the future.
They appear to very fond of Trend in Northen Jutland, and they are also very fond of Fredensborg. (Which will in all likelihood become their permanent summer residence, also after QMII is gone).
So until their children grow and get married, Marselisborg may again just be standing around empty most of the time. Who knows?
That's also the problem with Gråsten in Southern Jutland, which is basically only used for a few weeks during the summer.
Not to mention Cayz, which seems to be a popular retreat for the entire DRF.

Marselisborg may look big, but it really can't accomodate that many visitors. It's also old. I understand that the heating sysem and insulation is pretty oldfashioned and inefficient. - But it'll be a big investment to renovate and modernize the manor.

Google views of Marseliborg Slot and surroundings:

General overview of Marselisborg in relations to Aarhus.
Marselisborg Slot, south of Aarhus city - Kopi.JPG - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Closer look at the manor and the park going down to the bay, where incidentally the Sculpture of the Sea exhibition will take place.
Marselisborg Slot, with view over the bay. - Kopi.JPG - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

An even closer view of the manor with some details: Marselisborg Slot - close up - Kopi.JPG - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Other than Joachims estate, do the Danish Royal family actually own any properties in Denmark? I am under the impression that all of the palaces we associate with the family are state properties at the disposal of the monarch.

Other than Joachims estate, do the Danish Royal family actually own any properties in Denmark? I am under the impression that all of the palaces we associate with the family are state properties at the disposal of the monarch.

True,all Palaces are at the disposal of the Monarch,as is the case in most Monarchies.State owned.

True,all Palaces are at the disposal of the Monarch,as is the case in most Monarchies.State owned.

Yes, but I was wondering if there was a Danish equivilent of Sandringham, Highgrove etc, properties that are privately owned.

Yes, but I was wondering if there was a Danish equivilent of Sandringham, Highgrove etc, properties that are privately owned.

No,not that I know off except for the chateau in Caix,France,
but that is not the same you try to point out.:)

I'm a bit confused by some of the comments i've read by other people not in this thread, do Mary and Fred have their own small house in the grounds? That seems to be what some people have suggested in other threads but I've not heard that before.

I'm a bit confused by some of the comments i've read by other people not in this thread, do Mary and Fred have their own small house in the grounds? That seems to be what some people have suggested in other threads but I've not heard that before.

Because Marselisborg Manor is fairly small. In the sense that it has few, but big rooms. So when the entire DRF and adjutants, PET officers, drivers, additional staff not to mention a nanny or two are counted, there really aren't that many rooms to go between them.
So it's simply more practical to billet some of the family in one of the staff houses on the grounds of the manor. - With their entourage of nannies and PET officers.

Let's try and count them.
The Regent Couple = One or two bedrooms.
Joachim and our Marie = One bedroom.
Nikolai and Felix = One room.
Little Piaf and bette Henrik = One room.
A possible nanny = One room.
Mary and Frederik = One Bedroom.
Christian and Isabella = One room.
Vincent and Josephine = One room.
A probable nanny = One room.
Resting Pet officers = At least one room.
Staff = Several rooms.
Possible adjutant on duty = One room.

A platoon from the Royal Lifeguards = A house.

- So all rooms at or the near manor must be presumed to be in use.

Last edited:
Seeing Marselisborg & the Chateau are owned by the Queen & Henrik, can they not give it (when they die) to someone other than Fred & Mary. Like some of the grandchildren who may not have as much as the Heir........

:previous:
Reading through the thread, I wondered whther the Queen and Prince Henrik might leave Marselisborg to Prince Joachim and family.
Frederik and Mary are unlikely to use it all that often in future, so it would be sensible thing to do.

I have to say I always feel that the Queen and Prince have almost too many houses to choose from. I wonder if it will go to Joachim or as Artemisia says thegrandchildren as I doubt F&M would be in dire need of another place. However QM may leave it to them to follow tradition, we can but guess.

Because Marselisborg Manor is fairly small. In the sense that it has few, but big rooms. So when the entire DRF and adjutants, PET officers, drivers, additional staff not to mention a nanny or two are counted, there really aren't that many rooms to go between them.
So it's simply more practical to billet some of the family in one of the staff houses on the grounds of the manor. - With their entourage of nannies and PET officers.

Let's try and count them.
The Regent Couple = One or two bedrooms.
Joachim and our Marie = One bedroom.
Nikolai and Felix = One room.
Little Piaf and bette Henrik = One room.
A possible nanny = One room.
Mary and Frederik = One Bedroom.
Christian and Isabella = One room.
Vincent and Josephine = One room.
A probable nanny = One room.
Resting Pet officers = At least one room.
Staff = Several rooms.
Possible adjutant on duty = One room.

A platoon from the Royal Lifeguards = A house.

- So all rooms at or the near manor must be presumed to be in use.

Muhler, is there a reason you always refer to Marie as 'our Marie'? Is she just a personal favourite of yours or is there something more to it? Just a genuine question, hope you don't me asking. :flowers:.

I think I remember the Queen saying that she'll leave Marselisborg to Frederik and that she hopes that he will use it and be as happy to stay there as she is (she also said something about being fairly certain that he will use it as he has studied in Aarhus and is very fond of the city).

The manor would need a refreshing and complimetary lick of paint (something light and neutral) and a few added personal touches, and I'm sure it could serve as a lovely Easter residence for Frederik, Mary and their children in years to come.

Last edited:
Since Marselisborg is not the private property of the monarch but simply at their disposal I doubt QMII can leave it to anyone.

Since Marselisborg is not the private property of the monarch but simply at their disposal I doubt QMII can leave it to anyone.

According to Muhler it is, as he has here pointed out in post #8

Yes, Marselisborg Manor is the private property of the DRF/Monarch.

Last edited:
If it truly is a private property, that can be sold or left to whomever QMII wants, does the DRF pay for its upkeep, staffing, utilities etc themselves? If it were left to Joachim would it be subject to inheritance tax? Could he afford to pay inheritance tax? I was under the impression that the DRF do not have a large private fortune so perhaps there are financial considerations to take into account.

It's my undertanding that Marselisborg has been either inherited to gifted to each consecutive monarch since Christian X.

In light of this I don't envision the property being left Joachim, rather, that it shall be inheirted by Frederik in due course. What he (and dare I suggest Mary) then wish to do with the Palace is at their discretion.

Last edited:
Marselisborg was originally intended to be at the disposal of the Monarch.
In the sense that QMII owns the manor, but she is very much expected to stay at Marselisborg from time to time.

The purpose of building the manor in the first place was to strengthen the bonds between the DRF and Jutland. Back when Marselisborg was build Gråsten was a part of Germany, so there were no royal residencies outside Zealand.
However, Marselisborg was hardly used during the reign of Frederik IX and that caused some resentment in Jutland and Aarhus in particular. There were even serious talks about Aarhus municipality getting back Marselisborg so that it could be used for something useful, rather than just standing around empty.

Fortunately since QMII was granted the use of Marselisborg by her father, the DRF are there three times a year. - Easter, during the cultural week in septemper (if possible) and Christmas.

I don't think Marselisborg will be handed over to Joachim. He has Schackenborg and to pay for the upkeep of yet another manor, may be a little too much to expect.

It is however interesting to speculate about what will happen, once QMII and PH are gone. Your guess is probably as good as mine in that respect.
M&F with children will probably move around between Amalienborg, Fredensborg, Gråsten, Marselisborg and Cayz. Depending on the season. - It will be an awful lot of moving around though!
But once M&F's children reach adulthood, it will be an entirly different matter. They may also use the palaces with their families, but that's 30 years into the future.

Joachim's children are to put it bluntly only one generation away from becoming mere counts and countess, so I don't think they will have a place at their disposal.

However with eight royal children I should be surprised if not some of them will study at Aarhus University and just like Frederik, they are likely to live at Marselisborg.

Last edited:
Sinced it is at least in theory a private residence could QMII sell it?

Marselisborg palace like other danish royal residences is beautiful and big and will suit the crown prince and princess of denmark and their children once they become king and queen.

Back
Top Bottom