Danish Residences General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So to sum up:
Amalienborg: Winter and main residence.
Gråsten: The school summer holidays and perhaps Christmas as well.
Trend: Weekends, Easter and Autumn holiday.
Kancellihuset: Summer, outside the school summer holiday and a weekend retreat.

There sure a lots of expectations on F&M....
(I mean in general - not just your post)

Will they ever be allowed to spend a week or two in the Caribbean or somewhere else, should they wish to? ;)

thank you Muhler for your excellent post on Gråsten. It seems Frederik is very fond of it and so has Mary and their family. Looks like an ideal place for an active family.
It seems so far this month, the CP family has stayed there

I think horseback riding is something that they Mary and Frederik enjoy doing.

There sure a lots of expectations on F&M....
(I mean in general - not just your post)

Will they ever be allowed to spend a week or two in the Caribbean or somewhere else, should they wish to? ;)

Probably. :p

Four weeks at Gråsten in the summer and two weeks somewhere else sounds plausible to me and there is always the winter holiday in week #7.

I think someone wrote that for people who travel a lot all through the year, being allowed to stay in one place doing nothing is perhaps a genuine holiday for them.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #09, 2016.
Written by Hanne Rask.

Come Sunday a new four-episode series will be shown on DR1.
Here QMII will guide and tell the story about four DRF-residences: Amalienborg, Fredensborg, Gråsten and Marselisborg.

That I look very much forward to!

QMII talks about the story of the places, how they are used by the family and also how they er furnished and decorated and in typical style QMII says about the Regent Couple's mansion at Amalienborg: "I'm probably a little bold in my way to furnish/decorate. I've probably always been a little bold with colors".

Several rooms that are otherwise out of bounds will be shown, including a grand guestroom: The King's Room, which you can see here: https://app.box.com/s/8o1y22st3jyk18z4wd3udru9bequogge
"I think the King's Room is a grand room".

But she also has an eye for the future: "In time a new generation will it their way. I imagine that Christian - my grandchild - will move in at Christian IX's Mansion" (Where the Regent Couple live now).

- You should be able to watch the series online outside DK, but it will of course be in Danish.
First episode will be shown Sunday at 20.00.

i agree mulher, it will be a great program to watch! i will probably try to watch it live, although i don't understand danish, just to see the beautiful interiors!

Very interesting. Looking forward to. Is tha Amalienborg Part about all 4 Amalienborg Palaces or only Christian IX's Palace?

:previous: Not sure.

I think Amalienborg in general and Christian IX's Mansion and the representative mansion in particular. There is little point in QMII showing around in M&F's home - even though I'd like to know what she thinks.

:previous: Not sure.

I think Amalienborg in general and Christian IX's Mansion and the representative mansion in particular. There is little point in QMII showing around in M&F's home - even though I'd like to know what she thinks.

She did say she likes bold colors :lol:

For those who may wish to watch the programme where QMII talks and guides us through two of the four mansions at Amalienborg, here is a link you can hopefully see: https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1#!/,autoplay=true

The programme starts in five minutes from this is posted.

I expect to write a review later.

Unfortunately I can not see it. So i wait for the review from you Muhler!!

:sad: What a pity.

But usually a permanent link will be uploaded at some point and when that happens I'll write a more detailed account of what is going on.

It was every bit what I had expected and I sincerely hope it will be shown outside of DK.
It makes a colossal difference that it's QMII who is the only one showing around and talking about the places. It makes it so much more personal.

The main focus was on the representative Christian VII's mansion. Which is used at New Year Courts and sometimes to house visiting heads of states but also sometimes for gala dinners. Here we see QMII curtsy. That was a tradition started by Queen Ingrid, who thought it was appropriate that DRF ladies curtsied once a year. That happens at the grand New Year Court when they enter the Knights Hall. QMII hopes Mary will continue the tradition. Mary and our Marie also curtsy upon entering that hall in front of the guests. I.e. members of the government and representatives from the Parliament.
It was renovated back in 1996 and QMII had very much had a say in redecoration of this mansion.
QMII makes an interesting observation. At the renovation she insisted on more bathrooms being made, because while visiting royals are used to things being a little old-fashioned from their own palaces. Staffmembers of visiting president have difficulty understanding that they should be say three to share one bathroom!

There is for understandable reasons less focus on Christian IX's mansion, that is after all where she lives. But we get a tour of her office - as it looks on a day to day basis. I.e. with plenty of papers and files lying around. - They clear it away for the New Year speech.

There is a tradition for the heir to take over the mansion used by the grandparents. QMII finds that very practical.
The Monarch has two mansion at her/his disposal at any given time. Where she lives and the representative mansion. The other two mansions are used by the heir and the last as museum, library and apartments for members of the DRF.

Very practical Christian VII and Christian IX mansions are connected by a colonnade which the DRF use after the grand New Year Court. Presumably to get their feet up and have a little chat before saying goodnight. Something akin to "Did you see the dress the Minister for Education wore? Was that from a curtain or what?!?" :p

We were also shown the chamber for the colours of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment. On the evening her father died, the colours were transferred from the mansion Frederik IX lived in to QMII's mansion and she received them. That was a special moment for her. That's it, you are on.

On several occasions she fingers a brooch in the shape of a horseshoe. That was presented to her by her father on 5th June 1953 (Constitution day), the day the new Constitution was signed and she was now the official heir.

Last edited:
I did manage to watch it live (from the UK) even though I couldn't understand a word :) Thank you so much (as usual) for your translation/explanation Muhler. I knew the Queen curtsied at the New Year court but I hadn't realised it was her mother that had introduced it. I know where I will be for the next 3 Sunday evenings.

Thank you Muhler, such great details

QMII makes an interesting observation. At the renovation she insisted on more bathrooms being made, because while visiting royals are used to things being a little old-fashioned from their own palaces. Staffmembers of visiting president have difficulty understanding that they should be say three to share one bathroom!
It was the best comment in this part :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Well, that comment has to compete with the comment about the furniture being "kram". Her pride when she said that - priceless :wub:

OK - I'm curious now. What does "kram" mean please. Thanks!

OK - I'm curious now. What does "kram" mean please. Thanks!
I simply don´t know the English word for it :sad: But I can try to explain. It means that the furniture made of solid mahogany is creme de la creme of craftmanship and you cannot find it better.

One of the more charming scenes in this episode was when she talked about Frederik taking over. She clearly has confidence in him and you do not need a degree in reading facial expressions to realize that she is proud of him as well.

One of the more charming scenes in this episode was when she talked about Frederik taking over. She clearly has confidence in him and you do not need a degree in reading facial expressions to realize that she is proud of him as well.
And add to that that she just calls him Frederik :wub: Whereas when she spoke about the tradition with the yearly curtsy, she calls CPss Mary for "The Crown Princess".

Even if the program is supposed to be about the palace it does give us a great insight to the very heart of the queen. What a gem she is. The Danes are so lucky to have her. She comes across as although grand not stuffy at all and the love she has for her palace is evident.
I love the way it has been produced and set up. It almost feels like you're there being shown round by the queen yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the link, what a very well-produced program! I agree with everything generously written so far, and I would add that some of the things the Queen says, are very informative as to her thinking and personality. The Queen mentions, when speaking about the passing of her father, that when the banners were moved from his Palace on the night of his death, over to hers, she knew that the duty and task was hers, for life. She once again in my eyes makes clear that the Danish monarchy is based on a life duty, and that the duty ends at the death of the monarch, when it is transferred to the heir.

It's very enjoyable to see the inside of the Palace, and I can't wait to see the next episode!

The Queen mentions, when speaking about the passing of her father, that when the banners were moved from his Palace on the night of his death, over to hers, she knew that the duty and task was hers, for life. She once again in my eyes makes clear that the Danish monarchy is based on a life duty, and that the duty ends at the death of the monarch, when it is transferred to the heir.
Yes, I noticed that too. She´s Queen of Denmark til her last breath.

Okay, let's have a look at what the whole thing was about.
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningens-slotte/dronningens-slotte-amalienborg-1

02.20: We start in Christian VII's Mansion, build by Count Moltke, who was very rich and influential.
Moltekes Gemak, stueetagen = Moltke's room, groundfloor.
Now a guestroom.
Now Christian VII's mansion is representation and guestrooms. But in the 1800's it was the seat of the Foreign Ministry. Later kindergarten for Frederik and Joachim.
Renovated 1996.
(03:40) This is where QMII talks about while royals are willing to accept primitive conditions, guests from republics - nah.
In the 1700's the same fabric was used for curtains, walls, furnitures and bedspread.

QMII was from childhood very interested in furnishing and decoration of the homes and she was taught by Queen Ingrid.

There are three stories in each of the mansions. Ground floor (stuen), the first floor (which is grander, hence the name beletage) and second floor (mezzanin).

06:10 Mezzanin. Several guestrooms furnished by QMII.
Klunkeværelset, these furnitures stems from the West Indies and were brought back after 1917 after the sale of the Danish West Indies. This is quality mahogany!

07:00 The Secret Stairs, that are not at all secret, just tucked away a bit.
07:40 On the repos between the mazzanin and beletage. This is hi-fi anno 1760! The window opens and those in the room below can hear when a little group of musicians sit on the repos and play. The sound is very good.

Taffelsalen, beletage. This room was from the beginning meant as a dining room, so the wall-decoration depicts fish and animals that can end up on the table.
When eating dinner back then (1760) you were only issued one wineglass. When you wanted more wine, a servant took your glass, rinsed it in the sink and poured new, or the same wine, up for you.

12:30 Vestibulen. Here foreign dignitaries are received. This also where the cameras are positioned at the New Year Court.
QMII appreciate there is live on the square all year round.

15:00 The garden behind the mansion, established 1754 and now brought back to it's original state.
The two rectangles of grass are called by the Frenchification of the English words bowling-greene (don't ask me to write it in French!).
In QMII's childhood, she and her sisters and classmates sometimes went here to play ball, but back then it was only a lawn with a few trees.
Later she and her sister walked to school, regardless of the weather on Queen Ingrid's insistence, because that was healthy and fresh air and all that. Also through knee-deep snow on occasion.

18:00 Kongens salon, stueetagen = the King's Chamber, for the visiting head of state. Furnished by QMII, who insisted on a large bed. Now where to put such a thing with doors and windows all over the place? In the middle of the room.
But first we go through the office at disposal for the head of state.

Galleriet, beletage. Here the guests can mingle. The chairs and couches are not too deep, because that's a problem when wearing big gowns!
21:30 - A voliere in the back of the garden. It has not yet been restored, but it will be - or Frederik will ensure it will be.

Fløjlsgemakket, beletage (The Velvet Chamber)
The velvet was a present from the French King to Moltke. Restored in the 1990's. Here guests are received and shake hands with the DRF.

Riddersalen ( The Great Hall/Knights Hall). This is where the dinners take place and where the ladies of the DRF curtsy upon entering the room.
QMII's first New Year Court was when she was fifteen.
She hopes the Crown Princess will continue the tradition.

Rosen, beletage. - The outermost room. Here a good deal of what is left of the original table set of Flora Danica is displayed. The set was meant as a present for Tzarina Katharina of Russia, but she died so the DRF kept the set.

Kollonnaden. Build in 1794 from wood, because it was meant to be temporary.

30:00 Christian IX's Mansion. QMII's private residence.
Den blå forstue, beletage - the Blue Front Room.
QMII is very fond of the painting of PH. It encapsulates him.

Arbejdsværelset, stueetagen QMII's office, ground floor.
A nervous QMII giving her first New Year speech, from this office.
Here she on Wednesdays receive the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister, separately. They sit in the couch where QMII is briefed.

Den gule salon - The Yellow Salon, which is a semi-private part of the mansion.
The gobelin on the wall was the wedding present from the government and Parliament.
The room is also used to receiving foreign prime ministers and such like. I.e. the notch below head of state.

34:50 an very shy Princess Margrethe to her first State Council when she turned eighteen.

At noon on her birthdays, she is cheered by the people and it was her dad who taught her to embrace the cheers. She is however a bit shy on her eighteenth birthday.
The first time she ever saw a guards parade, with drums and fifes, was in 1945 after the Liberation, when the Royal Lifeguard took over from the police in guarding Amalienborg. She was five years old.

Fanegemakket, stueetagen - the Colour Chamber, ground floor. Is where the colours of the Royal Lifeguards stand and are brought back after the guards have been relieved.
The latest colour bear QMII's monogram.
They were first brought over here on the evening of Frederik IX's death and QMII received the colours.
Around 42:00 you can tell QMII's confidence in Frederik being ready to take over, and pride.

At the very end. She forgot to return the microphone.

- I hope that was helpful. I think it's a series well worth watching outside DK as well.
If you have questions I or other Danish members can answer please give the approximate time it happens. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom