Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it just me, or is it like the square is kind of sacred? I mean, Copenhagen is a busy city but it's never like the square is being abused by cars. Maybe it's because taking a shortcut from Bredgade through Amalienborg, for instance, isn't much quicker, but to me it feels like people are respecting that this is the place of the Queen and that is to be treated properly.
And by saying that, obviously I don't count in all the taxis trying to run down tourists in there :lol:
It could very well be that people treat it like a sacred and thereby forgets that there are no restrictions... Or maybe they just assume that there are restrictions :)

Is it just me, or is it like the square is kind of sacred? I mean, Copenhagen is a busy city but it's never like the square is being abused by cars. Maybe it's because taking a shortcut from Bredgade through Amalienborg, for instance, isn't much quicker, but to me it feels like people are respecting that this is the place of the Queen and that is to be treated properly.
And by saying that, obviously I don't count in all the taxis trying to run down tourists in there :lol:

Well, the fact that you'll be confronted by armed guards if you "hang around" or slow down your car seem to have that effect on people.

Sad that you can't pose with the guards. Understandable but sad.

I get the impression, which may be really wrong, that Amalienborg is not a real palace like Buckingham or Stockholm, but just large mansions. Is that correct? Most of the major entertaining is done elsewhere, correct?

Sad that you can't pose with the guards. Understandable but sad.

I get the impression, which may be really wrong, that Amalienborg is not a real palace like Buckingham or Stockholm, but just large mansions. Is that correct? Most of the major entertaining is done elsewhere, correct?

You are absolutely correct.
If we are to be pedantic the official name is not even Amalienborg Slot (palace) but just Amalienborg.

Let's have a historical look, shall we? When the Amalienborg complex was build in the 1750's the DRF lived at Christiansborg Slot and that was a genuine palace, with ball rooms and what not. It was also the seat of the administration of Denmark - back then in the time of Absolutism.
Then in late 1790's Christiansborg burned down to ground and the DRF became "palaceless". - There were indeed a few palaces around but they were either situated too far away or too small, so what to do?
Well, the royal family moved in at Amalienborg, the central administration moved in whereever there was room.
But for decades afterwards things were bit cramped representation wise. Not that big a problem as the king was basically insane and the crown prince ran the country on a day to day basis.
Then came the state bankrupcy in 1813 so there were savings and things became even less grand, as such there weren't that much need for big ballrooms and grand halls.

However a new Christianborg was build and the DRF was supposed to have moved in, (the only king to actually live there was Frederik VII) but Amalienborg was pretty cosy and Denmark had become a democracy so it was a good idea to seperate the king and the parliament. And wouldn't you know, Christiansborg burned once more!
By the time the latest Christiansborg was finished democracy had been well established the power of the monarch had been curbed.

So today official state business takes place at Christiansborg. Like audiences, State Councils, recieving ambassadors and so on. Official gala dinners take place at Christiansborg or Fredensborg depending on the time of year or the mood.

Last edited:
Thanks, Muhler. That confirms what I always thought. Christianborg remains the seat of power and the seat of cermony. Although, I'm sure some entertaining can be done at Amalienborg?

Thanks, Muhler. That confirms what I always thought. Christianborg remains the seat of power and the seat of cermony. Although, I'm sure some entertaining can be done at Amalienborg?

You are welcome, Harold & Queen Penelope :)

Oh yes, albeit on a lesser scale.
M&F's mansion in particular is after the renovation suited for representation and smaller dinners and balls for up to say 50 persons - but certainly no more than this.

If it's any consolation, Tarlita, I can't figure it out either!

So inspired by you I will upload this map and guide to the buildings at Amalienborg.

The map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...g/1280px-Map_of_the_Amalienborg_Palace-en.png
The observant among you will notice the original names of the mansions are used - just to confuse everyone. :p

#2 Christian VIII's Mansion. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...1280px-Amalienborg_-_Christian_VIIIs_Palæ.jpg - This is where Benedikte, Queen Anne-Marie and Joachim and our Marie have their apartments.
Here is also where the museum is located.

#3 Frederik VIII's Mansion. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...II's_Palæ.jpg/1280px-Frederik_VIII's_Palæ.jpg
This is where M&F live.

#4 Christian IX's Mansion. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._IX's_Palæ.jpg/1280px-Christian_IX's_Palæ.jpg
This is where the Regent Couple live.

#5 Christian VII's Mansion. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...80px-Christian_VII'_Mansion_-_Amalienborg.jpg
Today used primarily for representation and housing guests.

- The Yellow Mansion, where the administration is located is down the street on Amaliegade.

Wow, thank you, Muhler.
I am shocked at how accessible to the public these buildings are!!
To be a Danish Royal would mean one couldn't really look out of the windows for fear of being photographed.
Hopefully the palaces have private back gardens.
Muhler, are there problems with attracting any trouble makers who are able to walk so closely to the residences of the Danish Royal family?
Are there any security problems?

Wow, thank you, Muhler.
I am shocked at how accessible to the public these buildings are!!
To be a Danish Royal would mean one couldn't really look out of the windows for fear of being photographed.
Hopefully the palaces have private back gardens.
Muhler, are there problems with attracting any trouble makers who are able to walk so closely to the residences of the Danish Royal family?
Are there any security problems?

You are welcome. :)
Their privacy is pretty good, especially considering that they are living in a city centre. The two lower floors are basically representation, with offices, so privacy isn't that big a problem and the windows are located quite high, so you litterally have to walk up to the windows and stand on your toes to have a chance of seeing anything on the ground floor. - And the guards will stop you, if you try.
The Private apartments are located higher up and the windows are smaller (or rather of normal size) ensuring a good deal of privacy.

The gardens are private and surrounded by high walls and there are alarms. A foreign burglar scaled one of the walls once and found himself lying under several hundred kilos of guardsmen within minutes.
The most serious problems the guardsmen have to deal with are drunkards and tourists who go too close to the buildings or the guards - they are simply chased away or they will be arrested. (The guardsmen are allowed to arrest people as any other military guard on duty).
And the ultimate deterrant is of course that the guards will open fire if need be. That hasn't happened at Amalienborg since 1943, and that was against German soldiers.

There have been a couple of instances where guards have fired warningshots at intruders at Fredensborg, but it was never made clear to the public what really had happened.
I can't say whether there have been serious breaches of security, if there has the public hasn't been informed. Anyway, an intruder will have to get past the PET officers on duty as well to get to the Regent Couple or M&F.

The residences that are not in use by the DRF are secured by alarms. I believe it was last year a burglar tried to enter Marselisborg. He smashed a window in the celler and went in - and didn't get far before half the police corps in Aarhus was there. And being located in the middle of a large park there was no chance of escape the dogs got him in no time.
According to one paper he was pretty much ridiculed by other inmates for being so stupid as to break into one of the most secure buildings in Aarhus.

Last edited:
So no one will scale the wall and get into the Queen's bedroom. Thanks for the information, it is nice to know that the guards have never had to use force to often.

:previous: Let's hope not!

But I vividly remember a drawing in a satirical annual magazine called Svikmøllen from the same year that unfortunate intruder incident involving QEII happened.

We see QMII in her bed (with a cigarette of course) and in the door are standing two smug looking police officers holding Prince Henrik between them. One of them says: "Your Majesty, we have apprehended an immigrant who tried to sneak into your bedroom".:lol:

:previous: Let's hope not!

But I vividly remember a drawing in a satirical annual magazine called Svikmøllen from the same year that unfortunate intruder incident involving QEII happened.

We see QMII in her bed (with a cigarette of course) and in the door are standing two smug looking police officers holding Prince Henrik between them. One of them says: "Your Majesty, we have apprehended an immigrant who tried to sneak into your bedroom".:lol:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thank you Muhler for these stories that you add to the forum. :flowers:

Wasn't there a picture of a pregnant Mary looking out the window? Hopefully these pictures are not too common and the family can enjoy some privacy at their home

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thank you Muhler for these stories that you add to the forum. :flowers:

Wasn't there a picture of a pregnant Mary looking out the window? Hopefully these pictures are not too common and the family can enjoy some privacy at their home

You are welcome. :)

Yes, there was and it was a boderline breach of the laws of privacy.

It was claimed that someone had taken a picture of M&F's mansion and wouldn't you know, Mary just happened to be standing in the window - it was conviniently noticed afterwards....
Had someone stood on the square with a zoom lense and taken a picture of Mary in the window it would have been a clear violation of the laws of privacy.

Mary can parade around inside the mansion wearing Mickey Mouse ears in full view of people outside, if you zoom in and take a picture of her, let alone publish the picture, you break the law.
The only exceptions are if she is committing a crime, like kicking Ziggy or the children or doing something that must be considered in public interest, like meeting a dictator and claiming that never took place.

Thank you, Muhler.
You are such a source of information and detail. :flowers:

I would hate to live in a home so close to a public area.
I would be captured nude for sure ... or playing music too loud.
I love having the windows open and I like to see out so I rarely use blinds and curtains.
One way glass would be useful for some of the palace windows.

I'm pleased to know that there are strict privacy laws for the media.

Are the four mansions more or less the same size?

And, not just for Amalienborg but for all royal residences: where do they park? Does the Danish crown princely couple have a garage and park like everyone else? Does Queen Elizabeth have a garage door opener on her private car visor? Just curious.

Are the four mansions more or less the same size?

And, not just for Amalienborg but for all royal residences: where do they park? Does the Danish crown princely couple have a garage and park like everyone else?
I know where the DRF park :flowers: They park behind the four mansions. The big green doors (port) are the entrance to the parkingground behind the mansions.

Yes.

If you look at the photos, you will see a gate in each of the two wings of the mansions.
M&F use the gate to the right, when looking at the picture, as far as I know. Because the backstairs to their private apartment go down there.
The more official entrance is through the gate to the left and this is also where you will go through should you ever have an audience with M&F.

All the mansions have two wings with a gate. And if you look at the map, you will see the garages, workshops and stores in the back.

http://www.blom-uk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Amalienborg-Palace-Blom.jpg

i'm not sure if this picture has been posted before but it shows all 4 buildings very nicely. I was also a little surprised to see so many other (mainly white low) buildings in the gardens of the palaces, I assume they are part of the Royal Court, are they offices, staff housing etc?

Thanks for the nice picture. I see it was taken on a day when none of the royals were in residence.

Well, you have to consider that Amalienborg is a pretty large workplace. With the court having around 160 employees and even though not all work at Amalienborg you can safely say that around 100 people work there every day.
There are apartments mainly for employees at the court and for people who have retired in the houses around Amalienborg but not in the Amalienborg complex itself.

Apart from garages, there are canteens for the staff, dressing rooms and baths (mandatory by law) and rooms where the staff may spend the night after say a long evening. That is very much the case during state visites and the New Year Courts which take place over several days.
Then there is accomodation for visiting royal's own staff and security.

On a day to day basis the whole thing needs continuing maintanaince.
So there are Craftsmen at work, like interior painters, furniture-painters, electricians, carpenters, smiths, gardeners and so on. Amalienborg is also the home of the cabinet makers, restoring the many antique furnitues. - All these peolpe have a workshop each.
There is a rudimentary mechanics shop as well (the main garage is located at Christiansborg). Clothes, curtains, carpets, bed linen, uniforms and so on needs washing and cleaning.
Some of the employees also need a place to park and that takes up place as well. (Finding a parking space in downtown Copenhagen is like winning the lottery). Then there is machinery like streetsweepers, lifts for window cleaners and so on.
And a royal family accumulate a multitude of stuff over the years, like six candleholders shaped like bats, you wouldn't give to your mother-in-law. That needs to be stored as well, so there is plenty of need for space.

Last edited:
Amalienborg - Dines Bogø

During the last months of WWII a tunnel was dug beneath Amalienborg. The purpose was to evacuate King Christian X. Intelligence had warned that the Germans considered taking Christian X and his family hostage.
The head of the Royal Lifeguard, who was in exile in Sweden at the time, was one of them who planned to build a tunnel.

Plans were also made for evacuating Prince Knud from his residence at Sorgenfri Manor.

Later on the fear of the Germans taking the DRF hostage was replaced with a fear for a Communist takeover.

In late november 1944 the work on the tunnel began in secrecy. - Which was quite a problem! It was one thing to dig the tunnel, but material for lining the tunnel, i.e. irone tubes also had to be put in place without anyone noticing. (I guess they camuflaged it as sevage work).
Six men, five of them former guardsmen did the actual work. Initially they used machines, but that made too much noice, so they had to use more manuel means and worked sixteen-eighteen hours a day for more than 100 days in order to complete the tunnel.

In late February 1945 the tunnel was complete and Christian X's personal doctor inspected the tunnel. (Christian X was semi-paralysed from his fall from his horse in 1942). And they also had drills carrying a stretcher through the tunnel. At that time Christian X was informed about the tunnel.

The plan was to smuggle the King and his family through the backyard of one of the mansions, enter one of the service buildings there, go through the tunnel, and at the other side an ambulance would be waiting to take them away.
Two hideouts were prepared. An apartment and a secret location at a hospital.

Here are plans over the tunnel:
http://www.din-bog.dk/Amalienborg/images/1944_1945_Tunnel_under_Frederiksgade.jpg

http://www.din-bog.dk/Amalienborg/images/Fagblad_Entreprenoeren_7-1992.jpg

The tunnel still exists, but it's bloked and anyway it's now flooded.

But it isn't the only tunnel under Amalienborg.
http://www.din-bog.dk/Amalienborg/images/1945_Amalienborg_gadeplan_korrx.jpg
This one went to a sewage main, that led several streets away. - And as you can tell the tunnel connects two of the mansions. M&F's home to the mansion where Benedikte and Joachim have their apartments.

Hi dear members, maybe some of you can give me a answer? :flowers:

Last saturday evening I drive past Amalienborg and my eyes looked immediately after M+F's mansion (I have to take a look just to see if they were home :p) I know from the program "The Crown Prince Couple's new home" from 2010 that their mansion has 4 floors: A basement, The ground-floor, Beletage-floor (1. floor) and Mezzazin-floor (2. floor). When I went to see M+F's mansion before the family moved in could I see that the entire ground-floor and Beletage-floor is used to official and representative rooms. (Except for a living-room/TV-room in one end of the Beletage-floor) My question is: When I drove past their mansion around 11 o'clock in the evening on a Saturday there were completely dark in their living room, but at the top of the mansion with the small windows (Mezzazin-floor) were there lights in several rooms, so it seemed like it was up there they spent their Saturday night. Is it only the Mezzazin-floor the Crown Prince family uses as their private apartment? Have the Mezzazin-floor a bedroom for M+F, bedrooms to their four kids, bathrooms, a living room where they can relax and watch TV etc? Or is it only the bedrooms which are at the Mezzazin-floor? Maybe they were just jumped to bed and watched TV there instead of their livingroom :D

Picture of the differents floor
Den nye Kongebolig

Last edited:
Sure.

https://www.box.com/shared/enocjpmjhp This is the floorplan of the second floor or Mezzanin, as it was when the mansion was newly renovated. Since then a couple of twins have moved in and I can well imagine that some rearrangements have taken place in respect to who now sleep where.

Also, I'm certain a number of rooms in the attic are also used by guests, nannies, additional playroom for the children and so on.

Shall we go through the numbers on the floorplan again?
1: Spare room of some sort, perhaps now used by the twins? Or the nanny on duty?
2: Room for nanny or dressing the children is my guess now.
3&4: Childrens rooms.
5: Frederik's dressing room.
6: M&F's bedroom.
7: Mary's dressing room.
8: Can't remember, can't read it.
9: Mending room for the chambermaid/Lady's maid.
The two additional rooms must be guestrooms.

- In other words, M&F's home isn't that different from normal homes, in the sense that the bedrooms and bathrooms are upstairs. - Albeit on an, ahem, slightly larger scale...

Thanks for replying, Muhler. It's always good to have you around :flowers:

So I understand that Mezzazinen is their private apartment with a private kitchen and a living room on the floor below.

I can see what Mary means when she says she doesn't feels it like she lives in a castle, but more like she is living in a large apartment.

I don't see many bathrromsin the Mezzazin floor, do they have to go downstairs? and I guess the failly room-tv room and kitchen must be downstairs?

Yes, kitchen and Tv-room are downstairs.

There are actually five bathrooms upstairs. One in the middle of the master bedroom. Two bathrooms you enter from rooms #1 and 2. And the two guestrooms also have a bathroom each. - It's just that the bathrooms look very small because the rooms are large.

:previous:
Hi Roskilde!

M & F are living on the "second floor"! The term 'mezzanine floor' confuses me a bit; the mezzanine is an low intermediate floor between the ground floor and the first flloor, but It's probably different where Amalienborg is concerned :). As far as I remember, the representative rooms at the mansions were on two floors?? The offices and the reception rooms were on the ground floor, the hall, the private dining room were on the first floor with the buffet, the music room and the big room with the green 'garden' room (forgot the name, sorry!). The new staircase with the lamps by Olafur Olafsson were leading up to their private quarters!
Hope it helps! :flowers:
Viv

:previous:
I visited the palace twice, with two different groups of friends, but the plan of the palace I got lives its own life in the bowels of a book somewhere :D! What I do remember is that we saw their their semiprivate dining room (seats about 20) - the one with Tal R's painting!

viv

And a living room (dagligstue/musikstue): The one with the purple walls and gold ornaments :)

Back
Top Bottom