Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like alot of the pictures, I think I find the mirrors (in the one hall I think) interesting. Though to be honest I would be very nervous walking in those rooms I would be afraid I would walk into them. Some of the artwork is very nice and interesting.

I think that is the first palace I have seen with light wood floors, they tend to be either dark wood or some kind of marble. (well from what i can tell from pictures and videos). Though to be honest most of the ones I have seen are the British palaces. I would think those would show more wear and tear. Unless they plan to use alot of rugs which would look nice in the rooms.

Thank you everyone who does the translations of the articles. You guys do a better job then google does.

I've seen the artwork and it is very beautiful.

The artists have been well aware that it is mostly official rooms to be used and to be representing Denmark.

I like alot of the pictures, I think I find the mirrors (in the one hall I think) interesting. Though to be honest I would be very nervous walking in those rooms I would be afraid I would walk into them. Some of the artwork is very nice and interesting.

I think that is the first palace I have seen with light wood floors, they tend to be either dark wood or some kind of marble. (well from what i can tell from pictures and videos). Though to be honest most of the ones I have seen are the British palaces. I would think those would show more wear and tear. Unless they plan to use alot of rugs which would look nice in the rooms.

Thank you everyone who does the translations of the articles. You guys do a better job then google does.

I love the floors! That light wood is gorgeous. I also like that staircase with the globe lights.

The huge mirrors (I know it is metal ;) ) and the painting from Frandsen are my favourites :)

I'm sorry to hear about your economic situation.

But I can assure you that the palace is state property. Mary has no influence in the restauration what so ever.

The pictures are very nice. It is very funny with the boxes on the floor and the family being placed in the picture by a very arty photographer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was an article that mentioned Mary and Frederik approving the art work that is on display. I thought I read something about the couple rejecting a few of the pieces that were initially submitted.:ermm:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was an article that mentioned Mary and Frederik approving the art work that is on display. I thought I read something about the couple rejecting a few of the pieces that were initially submitted.:ermm:

I dont´t remember the sources, but i´'ve read that too.

Metal ah ok, sorry I must of missed it in the article. I don't know but the palace comes off as a very friendly and welcoming. I do like the light wood, and I like the lights on the stairs to.

Gatos and Antonietta
The danish government decided to spend the money.

Mary did not decide to spend the money on any restauration.

I dont´t remember the sources, but i´'ve read that too.

That's correct.
One of artists changed the agreed layout of his artwork, so he had to redo it. I cannot remember the artists name off hand, but perhaps someone else can?

That's correct.
One of artists changed the agreed layout of his artwork, so he had to redo it. I cannot remember the artists name off hand, but perhaps someone else can?

According to this article from Berlingske Tidende -http://www.berlingske.dk/kunst/kronprinsparret-afviser-kunstvaerk - the artist was John Kørner

I'm sorry to hear about your economic situation.

But I can assure you that the palace is state property. Mary has no influence in the restauration what so ever.

The pictures are very nice. It is very funny with the boxes on the floor and the family being placed in the picture by a very arty photographer.

Who decides / agrees on how the Palace will look after the restoration? Since the Palace itself is a State property, is it Danish government? The Royal Palace? How is that being determined? Also, is that regarding the outside of the Palace, the inside, the surroundings, how does the restoration look?
Perhaps this question belongs to a different thread, please move, if so.

Gatos and Antonietta
The danish government decided to spend the money.

Mary did not decide to spend the money on any restauration.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but I wasn't talking about money or spending. I recalled reading that the artwork was presented to the Crown Prince couple, and that they either approved or did not approve the works that were presented. They were involved in selecting the artwork that is featured in the palace. I'm not criticizing them, I was just curious as to whether anyone else remembers reading the same article. :ermm: The artwork is very interesting, and I've seen a program as well as read about the pieces that are on display.

Who decides / agrees on how the Palace will look after the restoration? Since the Palace itself is a State property, is it Danish government? The Royal Palace? How is that being determined? Also, is that regarding the outside of the Palace, the inside, the surroundings, how does the restoration look?

Decisions regarding restorations, major renovations and major changes take place between the court/DRF and the state. The buildings themselves are classified at some level, so they cannot be completely altered.

In this case the palais needed a major renovation, since the last renovation took place in the early 1930's. Okay it was suggested that the palais should be returned to the style it had in the 1830's. That was approved by the state. And the DRF, or rather M&F.
It was also suggested, primarily on initiative by M&F's then Chief of Court, Per Thornit, that contemporary pieces of art were incorporated into the official part of the building.
That was concurred by M&F and accepted by the state.

In short: The state has the final word in all major alterations of the palais, inside, outside or in the garden.
M&F had fairly free hands in regards to their private apartment, but that's it.

If say, M&F should come up with the idea of painting all the ceillings in the official part of the palais grassgreen, that would no doubt be vetoed by the state.

Last edited:

The Palaces and Properties Agency - which is a body of the Ministry of Finance - administers the state-owned castles. Here's a link to them in English - Castles and Gardens - Palaces and Properties Agency

Examples of the results of the restauration can be found here - F8-bog_udvalgte sider.pdf.

- addition: sorry Muhler, I hadn't seen that you had already responded when I posted this.

Last edited:
It was also suggested, primarily on initiative by M&F's then Chief of Court, Søren Haslund Christensen, that contemporary pieces of art were incorporated into the official part of the building.
IIRC then Søren Haslund-Christensen has never been Chief of Court af M&F, "only" at QMII. It was Per Thornit hence it is his summerhouse on the painting of the world :flowers:

IIRC then Søren Haslund-Christensen has never been Chief of Court af M&F, "only" at QMII. It was Per Thornit hence it is his summerhouse on the painting of the world :flowers:

You are right, FasterB. Thank you. :flowers:

I'll edit my post.

Goodnight.

Decisions regarding restorations, major renovations and major changes take place between the court/DRF and the state. The buildings themselves are classified at some level, so they cannot be completely altered.

In this case the palais needed a major renovation, since the last renovation took place in the early 1930's. Okay it was suggested that the palais should be returned to the style it had in the 1830's. That was approved by the state. And the DRF, or rather M&F.
It was also suggested, primarily on initiative by M&F's then Chief of Court, Per Thornit, that contemporary pieces of art were incorporated into the official part of the building.
That was concurred by M&F and accepted by the state.

In short: The state has the final word in all major alterations of the palais, inside, outside or in the garden.
M&F had fairly free hands in regards to their private apartment, but that's it.

If say, M&F should come up with the idea of painting all the ceillings in the official part of the palais grassgreen, that would no doubt be vetoed by the state.

The Palaces and Properties Agency - which is a body of the Ministry of Finance - administers the state-owned castles. Here's a link to them in English - Castles and Gardens - Palaces and Properties Agency

Examples of the results of the restauration can be found here - F8-bog_udvalgte sider.pdf.

- addition: sorry Muhler, I hadn't seen that you had already responded when I posted this.

Thank you Muhler and UserDane for the explanations.

How was it decided which Palaces and Castles will belong to the State and which will belong to the DRF?

Muhler, you used the phrase "their private apartments". Is that inside the palace? Does that mean that people will be able to walk into the part of the palace except for the part that will belong to Mary and Frederic only? How is that determine, which part is private?
Also, are Mary and Frederic and kids able / allowed to use the entire Palace? In other words, they can walk wherever they want to, correct?

What about decorations, paintings, furnitures? Can they use whatever was there (in the Palace) already? Can they buy whatever they want to, as to the style and colours, or does it have to be approved also?

Those may be silly questions, but I was just wondering how that works in case of a home being at the same time a public building.

Last edited:
Posted by Cinderella5X:

- How was it decided which Palaces and Castles will belong to the State and which will belong to the DRF?

Muhler, you used the phrase "their private apartments". Is that inside the palace? Does that mean that people will be able to walk into the part of the palace except for the part that will belong to Mary and Frederic only? How is that determine, which part is private?
Also, are Mary and Frederic and kids able / allowed to use the entire Palace? In other words, they can walk wherever they want to, correct?

What about decorations, paintings, furnitures? Can they use whatever was there (in the Palace) already? Can they buy whatever they want to, as to the style and colours, or does it have to be approved also?

Those may be silly questions, but I was just wondering how that works in case of a home being at the same time a public building.

-----

No such thing as silly questions, only silly answers. ;)

I hope you don't mind me attempting to your answer questions here.

I must confess that I'm not sure, when the palaces became state property. My guess would be in connection with the first Constitution in 1849, or one of the changes to the constitution later on. The lastes taking place in the 1950's.

M&F's private apartment takes up the entire top floor and parts of the floor below that.
People cannot just walk in from the street to any part of Amalienborg.
The official part of the palais will be used in connection with receptions, audiences, meetings, balls and so on. Things that are connected with the official duties of M&F.
That is relevant already now as M&F are beginning to take over in earnest from the Regent Couple. And eventually they will become the Regent Couple. Which could happen tomorrow for that matter.

Apart from that the official part of the palais is also a workplace, where M&F already have their offices.

All parts of the palais that is not supposed to be used in an official capacity are either private or staff area, like laundry, kitchen and so on.

I would assume the children are allowed to move around freely, at least outside office hours. That would be up to the parents I guess.

As for decorations, I cannot see anything to hinder M&F in using any kind of decoration they want, as long as it does not constitute a major alteration of the building.
- A life size sculpture of a moose in the garden room would be okay.
Painting all the door frames bright orange would in all probability get a no.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #51, 2010.
Mary og Frederik flyttet - Mary and Frederik have moved in.
Written by Trine Larsen & Ulrik Ulriksen.

Frederik's flag, which is flying over Amalienborg when he is in residence, is up.
And it has been up since Friday, and according to BB the night to saturday was the first night the family spent at their new home.

how big are each of the palaces in square feet? i assume they're all identical in sizes. does the one being renovated have elevators? i ask weird questions don't i?

In total and for all 4 buildings 251875 square feet or 23.400 square meters. If we asume that they are nearly idenrical that would make each of them about 6000 square meters of 64500 square feet.

According to the recently released book in November 2010 entitled "Frederik VIII's Palace: Restoration, Rebuilding and Artistic Decoration" written by the Palaces and Properties Agency & Realdania which I purchased from Denmark, Frederik VIII's palace is 5 floors covering a total of 5,200 square meters or 55,972.33 square feet. The book deals with the renovation and art work of the Crown Prince Couple's Amalienborg Palace, Frederik VIII.

Last edited:
wow this a huge place i wonder what it feels to live not only in such a big place but a place with an amazing history!!!!!

Santa was kind enough to bring me the newly published book "Amalienborg" by Thomas Larsen, Jøgen Larsen & Bjakke Ørsted. It covers the history of all of the 4 palaces with plenty of nice pictures and a lot of stories from the buildings. I have only just browsed it, but I was really impressed.

wow this a huge place i wonder what it feels to live not only in such a big place but a place with an amazing history!!!!!

And I think that CP Frederik is feeling very close to his late grandmother Queen Ingrid who lived there.

There are 4 buildings standing in a circle and the generations move into the building as they become available so to speak.

QMII moved into her grandparents building and CP Frederik is moving into his grandmothers building.

The reigning couple will in this manner live in different buildings in the circle.

So is Amalienborg palace the main residence of the Danish royal family? And how come they don't live in say Christianborg or any others.

:previous:

Amalienborg is the winter residence of the Queen and Prince Henrik. During autumn and spring, the Queen and Prince Henrik live at Fredensborg Palace. The Crown Princely Family has recently moved into one of the Amalienborg palaces, as their main residence (they previously lived at Chancellory House on the grounds of Fredensborg Palace). Graasten Palace is used during the summer, Marselisborg Palace around Easter time.

Christiansborg Palace is the seat of Danish parliament. The family does use part of the palace for receptions and audiences though.

In Billed Bladet #13, 2011, we are informed that an excerzise room has been opened at Amalienborg. In the basement of Christian VII's Palais to be exact.

The fully equipped room is to be used by the DRF as well as employees of the court.

- The concept of integrating excersize, a healthy lifestyle, fruit and so on into the workplace, is becoming more and more common in DK.

In Billed Bladet #13, 2011, we are informed that an excerzise room has been opened at Amalienborg. In the basement of Christian VII's Palais to be exact.

The fully equipped room is to be used by the DRF as well as employees of the court.

- The concept of integrating excersize, a healthy lifestyle, fruit and so on into the workplace, is becoming more and more common in DK.
Thank you! yes must be nice to have your fitness center in your home!!!!!! I would like a trainner too!:flowers:

I recently saw the Danish documentary about the renovations of the Crown Prince couple's new home on TV. It was simply fascinating to watch. Unfortunately I cannot find the documentary anywhere online and with English subtitles. I could only find this short clip of it: YouTube - TV Documentary "Kronprinsparrets nye hjem" (2010)

Edit: I found this page where you can watch the documentary: http://www.dr.dk/DR1/Dokumentar/2010/0219103032.htm

Unfortunately it is in Danish but at least you get to see the palace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom