Westminster Hall and Westminster Abbey

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micas

Royal Highness
Country
Portugal
My question is simple

Westminster Hall stay close (the same bilding) that the Westminster Abbey?
I read that QEII enter in Westminster Abbey and pass for Westminster Hall in her coronation day.

Thanks

Westminster Hall is part of the Palace of Westminster, where the Houses of Parliament are located. It was built in around 1100 AD and survived a fire in the 1830s. Westminster Abbey is the abbey church of Westminster and isn't part of the Palace of Westminster or of the Houses of Parliament. They're located close to each other, but they're not part of the same building.

http://www.parliament.uk/works/palace.cfm#paweshal

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/

This map shows the location of Westminster Abbey with respect to the Houses of Parliament.

It is possible often to apply for tickets for Royal services which are held in Westminster Abbey to do so visit the website: www.westminster-abbey.org

When Charles is crowned will anything take place in the Hall

I am not sure about his coronation but it is where his mother will lie in state for the public to file past if they so wish. It is where the Queen Mum lay in state.

I read a few years ago that The Prince of Wales has (or at least had) intentions to hold some sort of multi-faith event in Westminster Hall after his CofE Coronation in light of his wish to be Defender of Faith, but this was (if I remember rightly in the Daily Mail).

The Coronation Banquet has been held at Buckingham Palace opposed to The Hall since at least Queen Victoria.

Here are some images of the Westminster Abbey and the choir of Westminster Abbey

YouTube - Westminster Abbey Choir - Lord Bless You And Keep You
This is the Westminster Abbey Choir performing John Rutter's The Lord Bless You and Keep You. It was performed as part of the 60th Wedding Anniversary Service for The Queen and Prince Philip on the 19th November 2007.

YouTube - Westminster Abbey I Vow to Thee My Country
From Princess Diana's funeral, the choir and congregation of Westminster Abbey singing "I Vow to Thee My Country". The commentator said it was chosen by Prince William because he knew it to be one of his mother's favourite hymns from school

Queen Anne suffered badly from gout and had to be carried into the Abbey for her coronation. I wonder how many guardsmen carried her into the church and whether she was supported in a chair or on a litter like Cleopatra? A chair would be easier to rise from and she would look more majestic.

How about The Queen & Royal Family move into Westminster Palace & parliament move to Buckingham Palace..lol

Westminster Abbey does not need a crown-shaped dome. It should stay historical, as it is now.

A charter of donation to Westminster Abbey explicitly states that the gift was made "at the prayer of Queen Matilda".
The Queen Matilda was Matilda of Scotland, Queen Consort of King Henry I.

King Richard II made several major improvements in Westminster Hall in 1397 to 1399.
This included the installing of a vast hammer-beam roof.

The two west towers of Westminster Abbey were designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor in 1735.

Westminster Abbey has the tallest Gothic nave in England.

Last edited by a moderator:
In October 1834, when the Houses of Parliament were gutted by fire, Westminster Hall was in eminent danger of being consumed too, in spite of the valiant efforts of dozens of men up on the roof.

However, just as flames were entering the building, the wind turned more westerly and turned the fire riverward. By nightfall Westminster Hall was no longer in danger, though intense heat had caused the lead holding the glass windows to melt.

Back
Top Bottom