The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-14-2020, 01:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Money was going to be spent regardless. Point is I feel a lot of faux outrage is happening about a property that was basically abandoned for a long time before the Sussexes decided to move in. Where was all this concern about it sitting empty (as documented it was) prior to them?

They will figure it out.
I agree with you. The Crown Estate is winning here because now the cost of renovating the property will be covered by the Sussexes (or Charles). It isn't costing the taxpayer anything so any fuss being made about it seems OTT to me.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Not just anyone can live in such a property for security reasons. It is one reason royals rent is not fair market value. Like the York girls paid at St James. There is limited rental potential. Itís not like any random family would rent.

How many people have vacation homes? How many people in the royal family alone have multiple homes? How much time does Charles spend at any of his homes? Itís not like the house is going to stand vacant and never be used by the couple. They plan to split their time with the UK.

And no a hotel doesnít make sense. They plan to spend extended time there. And have a son. Itís far better and more comfortable for all to have a home to return to when in the UK.

The renovation cost is being paid back. And the house wasnít inhabited anyways. No one was kicked out for them and no one is lacking housing due to them keeping it.
It isn't just about cost. Or indeed occupancy. It's about what feels right & what doesn't.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Her Majesty gives all the monies collect by the Crown Estates (tourist visits, gift shop etc) to the government. The government gives HM back 25% which is used for the upkeep of the Crown Estates. Frogmore Cottage, as part of the Crown Estates, what scheduled to be renovated and upgraded. The concern trolling of "taxpayers" livid about those costs (whipped by the press) was about nothing. So the Sussexes were paying HM back money they were always going to spend anyway?
Old 02-14-2020, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It isn't just about cost. Or indeed occupancy. It's about what feels right & what doesn't.
When it comes to the Crown Estates, if they deem it feels right that things go this way and HM, The Queen feel its right and it is deemed that the Sussex family uses Frogmore Cottage as their UK home, that's what matters. They make the decisions.

What the public feels doesn't matter.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-14-2020, 01:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Her Majesty gives all the monies collect by the Crown Estates (tourist visits, gift shop etc) to the government. The government gives HM back 25% which is used for the upkeep of the Crown Estates. Frogmore Cottage, as part of the Crown Estates, what scheduled to be renovated and upgraded. The concern trolling of "taxpayers" livid about those costs (whipped by the press) was about nothing. So the Sussexes were paying HM back money they were always going to spend anyway?
Once again for me (& presumably others) it's more about what feels equitable. The nation provides for those who do a service for the crown. It certainly has nothing to do with trolls or the media!
Old 02-14-2020, 01:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When it comes to the Crown Estates, if they deem it feels right that things go this way and HM, The Queen feel its right and it is deemed that the Sussex family uses Frogmore Cottage as their UK home, that's what matters. They make the decisions.

What the public feels doesn't matter.
I do enjoy a good hearted discussion!

We certainly do have different perspectives on this. For my part it has nothing whatsoever to do with the individuals concerned.

I have no idea what The Queen feels about this but ,like yourself, can only speculate.

I am amused by the idea that public feelings don't matter. I'm sure that you don't really believe that.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Edited, please delete.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

If l recall correctly they have said they intend 'to split' their time betwixt the UK and north America - it could be a 50/50 split, or it might be 99/1 split.. or anything in between.

There seems to be a consensus [even amongst her devotees] that the Lady doesn't like being in the UK, and so certainly won't want her Son educated here.

With that in mind, i'd be very surprised if Frogmore was occupied for even as much as one month in twelve !

So an hotel seems a perfectly reasonable proposition..
Old 02-14-2020, 02:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Right now, I think we're all basically in a state of limbo as we have absolutely no concrete clues of how things are going to be other than we know this is a transition period.

It may very well be that they spend a good amount of time at Frogmore Cottage as it was stated (and I'm paraphrasing) that they want Archie to grow up knowing his heritage. They're not walking away from the family but rather the "Firm" side of the family.

[...]

We'll know so much more, I think, once things settle and they officially open their foundation and perhaps even have a calendar of upcoming events.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Right now, I think we're all basically in a state of limbo as we have absolutely no concrete clues of how things are going to be other than we know this is a transition period.

It may very well be that they spend a good amount of time at Frogmore Cottage as it was stated (and I'm paraphrasing) that they want Archie to grow up knowing his heritage. They're not walking away from the family but rather the "Firm" side of the family.

[...]

We'll know so much more, I think, once things settle and they officially open their foundation and perhaps even have a calendar of upcoming events.
How are they going to split their time? In a few years Archie will be going to school, is he going to be educated abroad or in the UK? How are they going to bring him home (except in the summer) if he is at school in Canada?
Old 02-14-2020, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
How are they going to split their time? In a few years Archie will be going to school, is he going to be educated abroad or in the UK? How are they going to bring him home (except in the summer) if he is at school in Canada?
Those are questions that cannot be answered at this time. Only time will tell.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

They don’t need a hotel when they have their home. It’s really that simple. Almost everyone in this family has more then one home. So yes I do feel it’s faux outrage because people want to be riled up for whatever reason. Frogmore really is of no concern to the public as it wasn’t before Sussexes took over. They even paying the money back.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
If he goes to school in Canada there is

-two months every summer
-nearly two weeks at Christmas
-week in spring for spring break
-week in fall for fall break

Also the odd long weekend like Easter they could come back as well. And that won’t be for another four years until he starts kindergarten. If he goes to preschool he could miss more.

Even if they choose to only come back for at least a week that’s four times a year he could be brought and not miss school. Three months of the year. No one said equally divided but that’s still a good chunk.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
-two months every summer
-nearly two weeks at Christmas
-week in spring for spring break
-week in fall for fall break
With a Mother who [evidently] dislikes being here ? It seems unlikely.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Let's get back on topic please and discuss Frogmore Cottage, not debate how long each year Harry and Meghan will use it, followed by discussions that should be taking place in another thread.

« Buckingham Palace | - »