Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks hel. I was wondering what the building was named and its purpose.

That picture does not look like Frogmore Cottage.

LaRae

The focus is on the security at Windsor in connection with the couple's relocation. I don't think that photos can be taken of their intended home that easily.

I posted the link as some posters were concerned about the security at Frogmore Cottage. It appears that additional security is being implemented around the Windsor estate.

It's good to know, but I think we all expected that security would be increased. What would be interesting to know is whether some of the footpaths and the roads will be rerouted or actually closed. It's not just the footpath that runs so close to the back of the house, it's also that because of the roughly triangular shape of the land around the house, a road actually runs along one complete side of the grounds and part of the second side. I'm assuming that all of the will be made more private and more secure, too.

I think that once the Gloucester’s are no longer residing at KP — then the place will be updated and the Sussex’s will move in. Having larger apartment and a country home at Frogmore in the foreseeable future. As he is the soon to be King’s son it is and will be different than his aunt and uncles situations. There are only 2 really large apartments at KP right.???

I don't think that will be the case. They are already getting a home with renovations funded by the sovereign grant. They won't get a second one.

I think that once the Gloucester’s are no longer residing at KP — then the place will be updated and the Sussex’s will move in. Having larger apartment and a country home at Frogmore in the foreseeable future. As he is the soon to be King’s son it is and will be different than his aunt and uncles situations. There are only 2 really large apartments at KP right.???

I don’t think anyone can really tell when the Gloucesters apartments would be available. Nor do Harry and Meghan have to go there if it is available. I don’t know if Frogmore Cottage will be their forever and only home. I think it’s telling that KP refuse to say anything other than it’ll be their home in the foreseeable future. It’s likely they’ll be there for awhile, but there is always the chance for things to shift in the future like it did for Charles and Andrew when the Queen Mum passed away.

We also don’t know what the lease term for Frogmore Cottage is. Does anyone remember how we found out about Bagshot and Royal Lodge? Was that released at the move in or did we find out in a different way later? Like whenever the annual report is done for Crown Estates?

I don't think that will be the case. They are already getting a home with renovations funded by the sovereign grant. They won't get a second one.

Anytime renovations are done on a rental property, it’s at the expense of the renter. Which is why Andrew gets a discounted rent on Royal Lodge. He put in millions to renovate that. We still don’t know the terms. It’s just that usually the working royals are provided with free accommodation one way or another. Andrew was given Sunninghill, Anne was given Gatcombe, Gloucesters love at KP for free, etc. Which makes sense because they work for the monarchy, and cannot hold a for profit career like non working royals are expected to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't quote me on this but I think the work on Frogmore Cottage will be comparable to the work that was done on Apartment 1A at KP for the Cambridges. The Sovereign Grant paid for the work such as removing asbestos and structural repairs but the interior was solely up to the Cambridges with help from Charles.

With Frogmore Cottage, the Sovereign Grant may pay for the same as far as structural repair but anything as far as personalizing the property will be up to Harry and Meghan.

I'm sure the information will become public sooner or later like the work at Apartment 1A and Amner Hall were. The Queen funded the exterior structural repairs for Amner and Will and Kate paid for the personal renovations if I remember right.

Don't quote me on this but I think the work on Frogmore Cottage will be comparable to the work that was done on Apartment 1A at KP for the Cambridges. The Sovereign Grant paid for the work such as removing asbestos and structural repairs but the interior was solely up to the Cambridges with help from Charles.
As far as the system that will be used (The Sovereign Grant paying for part of the work, rest from private founds of Charles/Harry/Queen) you're probably right and it will look like that. As far as the costs go, I think the renovations on Frogmore Cottage should be less expensive than work on Apartment 1A (or the work that Apartment 1 would require). I can be wrong here, of course, but unless Harry and Meghan are planing to do something really extravagant, I'm pretty sure it'll be more comparable to Anmer Hall rather than Apartment 1A.

As far as the system that will be used (The Sovereign Grant paying for part of the work, rest from private founds of Charles/Harry/Queen) you're probably right and it will look like that. As far as the costs go, I think the renovations on Frogmore Cottage should be less expensive than work on Apartment 1A (or the work that Apartment 1 would require). I can be wrong here, of course, but unless Harry and Meghan are planing to do something really extravagant, I'm pretty sure it'll be more comparable to Anmer Hall rather than Apartment 1A.

I think it is difficult to tell how much work will be required at FC relative to KP 1A. My sense is that a complete gut of FC is probably required, to convert it from 5 workers cottage to a royal residence. To me, that would mean significant structural work with walls being moved around, perhaps an extension or two, electrics, flooring, plumbing....

Anytime renovations are done on a rental property, it’s at the expense of the renter. Which is why Andrew gets a discounted rent on Royal Lodge. He put in millions to renovate that. We still don’t know the terms.

We do know the terms:

Andrew paid for all the renovations at Royal Lodge in return for a 75 year lease. He doesn't pay anything annually as he paid for all the repairs and renovations himself. If he leaves the house - i.e. it is returned to the Crown Estate and available for someone else prior to the first 25 years he gets some of the money he paid refunded but after that he gets nothing back but still pays nothing. He is also able to leave it to his daughters for their exclusive use until the end of the 76 year lease.

These terms were made public when the repairs/renovations were being done in the official annual returns that The Queen provides to parliament to explain her spending from both the then Civil List and the Duchy of Lancaster.

I think it is difficult to tell how much work will be required at FC relative to KP 1A. My sense is that a complete gut of FC is probably required, to convert it from 5 workers cottage to a royal residence. To me, that would mean significant structural work with walls being moved around, perhaps an extension or two, electrics, flooring, plumbing....
I have been thinking that FC likely needs extensive work to return it to a single family home. This is why I have thought that the timeline for completion was was a bit "optimistic." I have a feeling that Baby Sussex will be in NC not FC for the beginning.

I have been thinking that FC likely needs extensive work to return it to a single family home. This is why I have thought that the timeline for completion was was a bit "optimistic." I have a feeling that Baby Sussex will be in NC not FC for the beginning.

It will go faster if they simply blow out all the existing walls to rewire, replumb, insulate, bring the structure up to code. And people have said that they can do that in a Grade 2 structure.

It has a a fair number of windows - that might have been replaced already. They do not look decrepit in the photos. So that's an advantage.

But, if we are generous, and say work started in October, and allowing for 6 months minimum that puts finishing right at the due date. And I would say 6 months is a reasonable time line for a historic redo of this size. We've never seen these royal property renos come in on time. And I doubt work started in October. The architects stared planning in October, maybe.

And every snag they run into; every time Harry or Meghan or protections consultants change their mind about something in the design, it delays things more.

I'd really love to be in the area right now and find a pub where construction people and craftsmen hang out and just listen to the gossip flying about. We would learn a lot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I read somewhere that plans were originally submitted in May and then some updates were submitted in October?

It will go faster if they simply blow out all the existing walls to rewire, replumb, insulate, bring the structure up to code. And people have said that they can do that in a Grade 2 structure.

It has a a fair number of windows - that might have been replaced already. They do not look decrepit in the photos. So that's an advantage.

But, if we are generous, and say work started in October, and allowing for 6 months minimum that puts finishing right at the due date. And I would say 6 months is a reasonable time line for a historic redo of this size. We've never seen these royal property renos come in on time. And I doubt work started in October. The architects stared planning in October, maybe.

And every snag they run into; every time Harry or Meghan or protections consultants change their mind about something in the design, it delays things more.

I'd really love to be in the area right now and find a pub where construction people and craftsmen hang out and just listen to the gossip flying about. We would learn a lot.

Right, and that's assuming all the planning for decor has been done in advance, and everything goes perfectly: the paint looks exactly the same as was imagined, all the cabinets, fixtures and furniture were ordered and come in on time (and fit!) and everything goes exactly to plan. You can throw money at a renovation, but you still can't be perfectly in control of everything. There are lots of moving parts, and consequently a lot of things to go wrong or get delayed. And that's not even taking into consideration the kinds of things that might be found and require remediation once those interior walls come down, and the workers get a good look at the plumbing and wiring.

I've always been extremely skeptical about the supposed plan to move in before the baby is born, but anything is possible I suppose.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I read somewhere that plans were originally submitted in May and then some updates were submitted in October?

There were plans submitted back in April but that was to renovate what they still considered 5 apartments. So the plan to turn it into a single family home wasn't quite on the radar yet. That was a recent development.

I also have my doubts they will be all moved in by the time Baby Sussex arrives in March/April though it will depend how fast they work. Per the documents it appears no one has lived on the property for a while so they would have been able to start work immediately.

Most likely they will stay at NottCott for a few days and then transfer to their Cotsworld home until renovations are well enough.

The Gloucesters are not moving from KP.

Harry will be in exactly the same situation his aunt and uncles are in right now- younger children of the monarch.

Last edited:
do any pictures of the interior of frogmore cottage exist?

We do know the terms:

Andrew paid for all the renovations at Royal Lodge in return for a 75 year lease. He doesn't pay anything annually as he paid for all the repairs and renovations himself. If he leaves the house - i.e. it is returned to the Crown Estate and available for someone else prior to the first 25 years he gets some of the money he paid refunded but after that he gets nothing back but still pays nothing. He is also able to leave it to his daughters for their exclusive use until the end of the 76 year lease.

These terms were made public when the repairs/renovations were being done in the official annual returns that The Queen provides to parliament to explain her spending from both the then Civil List and the Duchy of Lancaster.

I meant we don’t know the term for Frogmore Cottage. But thanks for the information on when Andrew’s lease was made known. Perhaps we’ll find out at the next annual reporting about FC if it’s any guidance.

Agreed. Once you open up the walls, you never know what you are going to find. I think they also learned from the Cambridge’s apartment that it’s better not to share an estimate and then take another hit for going over it. Might as well just share the cost once and have it all at once. Plus, this is all happening during the winter as I think Baby Sussex is due in early Spring. I’m not sure about England, but in US, they can’t work once the temperature drops below a certain point.

Last edited:
An interesting tidbit from the Mirror’s royal correspondent, Russell Myers. He said there’s rumours Frogmore Cottage wasn’t Harry’s first choice, he wanted to live at KP but was told the Gloucesters apartment 1 is being saved for when William and Catherine are The Prince and Princess of Wales.

It’s going to used as staterooms and offices for the Cambridges large increase in staff when William is heir.

So what about Emily Andrews' assertion that Apt 1 is available but because of so-called "tensions" between the brothers, H&M decided not to live there?

If the long term plan for Apt 1 was always to be used by the Cambridges when they become Princes of Wales then Emily's story has no credibility.

But until there is an official announcement, we will have to wait and see what actually happens to Apt 1

Last edited:
I see the tabloids are not going to stop trying to kick Gloucesters out of their home any time soon no matter what. :lol:

An interesting tidbit from the Mirror’s royal correspondent, Russell Myers. He said there’s rumours Frogmore Cottage wasn’t Harry’s first choice, he wanted to live at KP but was told the Gloucesters apartment 1 is being saved for when William and Catherine are The Prince and Princess of Wales.

It’s going to used as staterooms and offices for the Cambridges large increase in staff when William is heir.

I see the tabloids are not going to stop trying to kick Gloucesters out of their home any time soon no matter what. :lol:

Following that logic, the tabloids have extended the Gloucester's time at their KP home till the end of the current reign!

Last edited:
Following that logic, the tabloids have extended the Gloucester's time at their KP home till the end of the current reign!
I hope they have it signed an sealed. :lol:

Its the Mirror. I don't believe a word of it. :D

I don't think either the Russell Myers or the Emily Andrews stories are credible. (They sure are different!)

And I don't see Harry willing to kick the Gloucesters out of their Apartment either, even if the story about the plan for it to become offices when William becomes POW isn't true.

The idea may have been floated, I'm sure lots of ideas are floated and explored. That doesn't mean they are an actual "set in concrete" plan.

Last edited:
Its inevitable that the Sussexes will get a London base (assuming they are not keeping Nott Cott), whether that be at KP, CH or St James (I don't think it will be BP given the renovations and the IMO likely move to make that more of a ceremonial place). I can very much see them having Apt 1, but also see them getting something smaller in a couple of years.

None of the breathless stories around their housing ever came close to naming Frogmore Cottage (the House was floated right before the wedding), so whatever reported plans for lodging or future space will likely be similarly off center lol.

Emily was also on her podcast last week speaking with almost certainly that The Sussexes had originally planned on moving into Apt 1 but allegedly The Gloucesters weren't able to move out quick enough to allow for the renovations to start on their time frame, so they decided elsewhere.

So... many... stories.

I think it is just this simple. They love Windsor and likely always planned on living there. It is a huge part of their story. They had rented their country home and likely had plans to stay their longer but Baby Sussex sped up the process of getting a more permanent place sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom