Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not familiar with the US/Uk legislation.
Is a dual citizenship an option for Doria? (And for that matter for Meghan, considering her status.)
That would make it simpler for Doria to stay for as long as she wish, not that I think there would be any problems on the British side regardless. That's "fixable."
But on the US side? I mean in regards to taxation and what not.

Dual citizen is allowed by both countries, I believe. And Meghan would have to specifically renounce her US citizenship after obtaining British. It doesn’t just go away like some.

As for Doria, I just don’t see the benefit of dual citizenship or even residency while she’s still working given the flexible visitor visa. She does have a life of her own in LA. As far as I know, there hasn’t been anything concrete on her job. There was a rumor about her quitting and starting her own practice, but one of the stories that came out about the wedding reception is that someone asked her if she’ll be staying in London for awhile, and Doria’s response is no, she has to get back to her job and dogs. Even if she is working on her own and have more flexible hours, it’s highly unlikely that she can be away for longer than 3 months due to the nature of her job.

Now, back to Frogmore Cottage, do I think Foria will have her own space there? Yes. Do I think she’ll visit there often? Yes. Do I think she’ll be attached at the hips with Meghan? No. Most healthy family relationships aren’t.

On another note, I’m not surprised that Frogmore won’t be a 10 bedroom home once they are done with it. First, why do they need so many bedrooms for? I’m sure their overseas friends won’t all be visiting at the same time for an extended period or can afford hotels in the area. Second, my understanding of rooms in Europe is that it’s generally smaller than what we are used to in US. So if they are going to basically gut the entire inside and start over, I would say go for the room size and architectural features you want.

Last edited:
Daily Fail

?
...it’s unlikely that Doria will be sleeping on a fold out sofa! ...
Even with a nanny, it’s great to have a granny.
I vote this to be a true rumor. If she’s not living there now, she will be soon.

It is good to have both nanny and granny if you've got to be travelling for work.
Kate and William have certainly relied on her parents for help in this way, too.

This Frogmore Cottage has an advantage in needing so much renovation. I know they have to get approval on work to be done, but the changes are likely to be extensive enough they'll have a lot of say in the end product. No dolphin ceilings! Frogmore Cottage seems it could easily have a wing, or even a separate in-law-unit for Doria, so all would have space needed to respectfully be under the same roof without intruding on the privacy of the marriage.
NottCott would have made that a challenge, if possible at all.

The Daily Fail goes on to claim they are to move in !Next month!
Okay, Wow!
That part seems like the paper is reaching beyond the truth. Unless they have approval to stay in Frogmore House temporarily while they are waiting or have a magic wand around somewhere, I don't see that happening.

In another article [https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-Meghan-explain-Sussexes-moving-Windsor.html], the Daily Fail authors Charlotte Wace & Charlotte Griffiths offer what their gleanings from sources iced with their own speculatations:

"And yet his decision to take on secluded Frogmore Cottage, in the grounds of Windsor Estate, close to his adored grandmother, has raised eyebrows.

Not least because, as has been reported many times over, the couple had eyed up the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester's home, Apartment 1, at Kensington Palace, right next to the Cambridges' 22-room home.

Contrary to speculation, the Queen's cousin Richard and his wife, Birgitte, were happy to move out for Harry and his new bride. Indeed, I can reveal that the Gloucesters, whose children have long left home, are moving out in the new year to live in the vastly smaller Stables Cottage in the palace grounds.

So if the very place Harry and Meghan have so long been linked with is now up for grabs, why wouldn't they seize the opportunity to move in? Could it be because of tensions between the brothers and their wives?

One source has told me that until very recently there were 'multiple' options on the table for the couple, including moving into somewhere bigger at Kensington Palace."

It was only decided after they returned from their recent tour to Australia and the South Pacific that Frogmore was the preferred option and plans were quickly lodged with the council to bring it up to scratch. One reason given to me is the cost of the work that would be needed to bring Apartment 1 up to scratch.

Last edited:
Apparently Rebecca English knows everything about the Cottage and this move now, despite being absolutely sure less than a month ago that the Sussexes would be moving into an apartment at KP when the baby was born. Not that she was alone in that! So all the Royal Correspondents are racing to catch up now that EA (for once) hit the jackpot. So we have wild guesses about moving in dates (KP said early next year) and number of bedrooms etc. I think everybody needs to calm down!

In my humble experience, once workmen start renovating a very old house a hundred things are found that cause delays. If the Cottage is ready to move into by next March (given that some exterior work will be going on during an English winter) I will be very happy, not to mention surprised!

One thing for sure is that the Fail and other bird cage liner tabloids seems to give us so many stories and angles on things it keeps a conversation going. :lol:

Stay tuned to this thread as Harry and Meghan get into a war of the words over what color to paint the insides of their closets. ;)

I will believe the Gloucesters moving when I see it.
If they wanted to make it believable they should have suggested the couple were moving into something believable like 4b or Geidts apartment. The stables are not a cottage like Wren or even Ivy. It is a row of flats, most if which are used by staff members. Not the spacious apartments used by senior staff either.

The Gloucesters may be empty nesters but they use their home for offices as well. And entertaining for their engagements. Not to mention family visits. A two bedroom flat among the butlers and some non staff like an architect, is hard to believe.
Per this Daily Fail article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-Meghan-explain-Sussexes-moving-Windsor.html

"The Sussexes wanted to move into a Palace apartment currently used by the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.

But sources claimed the apartment 'needs to undergo considerable lengthy refurbishments' meaning that no one else could move in 'for the foreseeable future'."

For the Sussex's timing, cost, space, fishbowl/privacy, schools, all together seems to have ruled Apt 1A out.
But it also sounds (yes, I'm speculating here) as though the Glouchester's aren't able to continue on in Apt1A right at the moemnt, and need a temporary re-location - although that is not what the article goes on to say. Sigh.

The Daily Mail has some excellent sources and some dodgy ones. Many of their reporters are on the royal beat and so are 'in the know'. They aren't as 'in' as they were when Diana was feeding them but they do have good sources - who wish to remain anonymous so as not to lose their jobs.

Not everything in the Daily Mail, or the Sun, or the Express is fabricated.

Reactions: hel
Per this Daily Fail article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-Meghan-explain-Sussexes-moving-Windsor.html

"The Sussexes wanted to move into a Palace apartment currently used by the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.

But sources claimed the apartment 'needs to undergo considerable lengthy refurbishments' meaning that no one else could move in 'for the foreseeable future'."

For the Sussex's timing, cost, space, fishbowl/privacy, schools, all together seems to have ruled Apt 1A out.
But it also sounds (yes, I'm speculating here) as though the Glouchester's aren't able to continue on in Apt1A right at the moemnt, and need a temporary re-location - although that is not what the article goes on to say. Sigh.

Apartment 1 needed a new roof. Yes it is possible they had to move out during that but that work is long done. The DM is implying they are moving now.

The work needed for the Sussexes to move in is an exaggeration at best. It seems based on what money was needed for the Cambridge apartment. That apartment needed major updating as it had not been used since Margaret, and included things like wiring.

Apartment 1 would gave needed work if Harry and Meghan moved in. But mainly a facelift as they wouldn't want to move right into the home and decor of the Gloucesters. Obviously that face lift us not required if the Gloucesters are remaining in the house.

Schools clearly aren't an issue the DM is making it. The Cambridge kids and Harry and William all dud/are in schooling in London. And Apartment 1 has a garden too. The DM as always is stretching to make a story.

Last edited:
Apparently Rebecca English knows everything about the Cottage and this move now, despite being absolutely sure less than a month ago that the Sussexes would be moving into an apartment at KP when the baby was born. Not that she was alone in that! So all the Royal Correspondents are racing to catch up now that EA (for once) hit the jackpot. So we have wild guesses about moving in dates (KP said early next year) and number of bedrooms etc. I think everybody needs to calm down!

In my humble experience, once workmen start renovating a very old house a hundred things are found that cause delays. If the Cottage is ready to move into by next March (given that some exterior work will be going on during an English winter) I will be very happy, not to mention surprised!
Curryong-Living in SoCal mild climate, even I would be stunned if the move in date of Spring 2019 is true. Once the walls are opened up, who knows what they might find there and will have to do in order for it to be up to 2018 building codes. Also, sometimes clients change their minds along the way. What looked like a great idea in the architect's office, might not be as easy to create once you're inside your "fixer upper."

In other words, don't start collecting moving boxes just yet Harry and Meghan. ;)

Sorry if this has been discussed already is Frogmore Estate part of the Crown estates or is it privately owned?

Previously houses in Windsor used by the royals have been Crown Estate property so the royals had to pay to lease the property.

Frogmore Cottage is actually part of Frogmore Estate not Crown estate so will the Sussexes have to pay to lease the property or will they live there rent free in return for their service as working royals like Nott Cott in KP

The entire Frogmore estate which includes Frogmore Cottage is owned by the Crown Estates. So is Royal Lodge, Bagshot Park and other residences within the Windsor Castle vicinity.

The entire Frogmore estate which includes Frogmore Cottage is owned by the Crown Estates. So is Royal Lodge, Bagshot Park and other residences within the Windsor Castle vicinity.

Thank you for the info!

[...]
can't wait to hear more on H&M's restoration of the property, i bet a big reconstruction/refurbishment will be required, not least to make it more secure. as far as i have seen the house is right next to a public footpath.

As far as the privacy and security go...it's a pretty open area and they are right on a road...unless they put up a big fence I don't see how they would have any privacy when going outside.

The paps and tourists just have to stand there and snap pics.

As others have noted, the public is not going to have that kind of access. The entire Windsor complex likely has stringent security measures in place already. Frogmore House is not open to tourists year round. As @Somebody points out, it's open 3 days in June, and for certain times in August. And we know that the Windsors are usually in Scotland in August, or on vacation in other locales.

For all we know, there may be stricter requirements put in place for touring guests. Right now, apparently, you have to register in advance as a tour group. And I'm sure all of the tourists are checked out in advance before being allowed on the property.

As far as shielding Frogmore Cottage with shrubbery and protective walls, that's an easy fix. And, as others have said, the footpaths will surely be redirected.

According to the website of the Royal Collection Trust, Frogmore is used for three charity days in June and open to group tours on most days in August for either a normal tour or a private guided evening tour.

And even these already limited and restricted touring dates may change for Frogmore House. Plus, as we know, the royals do not generally spend August in England.

The Daily Mail has some excellent sources and some dodgy ones. Many of their reporters are on the royal beat and so are 'in the know'. They aren't as 'in' as they were when Diana was feeding them but they do have good sources - who wish to remain anonymous so as not to lose their jobs.

Not everything in the Daily Mail, or the Sun, or the Express is fabricated.

A great deal of it is as history has proven. As was pointed out Rebecca English was writing how certain she was the Sussexes were going to be moving into Apartment 1. No one had this place on their radar and now suddenly everyone has ALL the details. Excuse me if I laugh. Also that article was obnoxious.

You can see per the actual documents that they filed the application while they were on tour. So they decided on this home BEFORE they left for Australia. It definitely wasn't after the tour as she claims. Just another example of her info being wrong. That took me all of 1 minute to find.

Daily Fail... indeed.

Last edited:
Anyone with an ounce of common sense realizes either some of them or all of them are wrong here. The reporting is all over the place as they try to catch up and really make up some kind of story beyond the statement from KP.

They can’t even agree on if the Gloucesters are staying at KP apt or not. Yet, Sussexes not kicking out two people that’s lived there for decades out of their apartment means Harry and William are beefing with all kinds of insinuations about Meghan. Seriously?

Having thought about Frogmore Cottage, I am convinced that this is a real great idea. The situation would have been that if they stayed in KP, each of their outings from the palace could be easily followed as the paps are used to. But once their offices at at KP and they live at Frogmore, it is much more difficult to trail them. So many gates from Windsor Home Park where they could drive out. So many ways to get to LOndon. And then? They arrive for a day of office work at KP? So the outcome in articles of such a very expensive trailing is not sure at all, who will pay for that chance over a longer period of time? Not even the DF!
OTOH there surely would be some scoops, as Meghan and Harry love to take some "impromptu" variations of their route with a short visit here an un announced meeting there. From Frogmore, this will be easily possible. From KP, not so much.
As for renovations needed at Frogmore: it's not that the RF houses their stuff under medieval conditions. For most people living in such a flat so far away from everything just isn't attractive. When each visitor has to be vetted before they are allowed on the premises. OTOH the farm hands etc. on the Windsor Home Farm surely preferred to live elsewhere cheaper with their families than in a former Royal residence. So I imagine the basic work at Frogmore cottage is done, modern wiring etc., for the Crown Estate has enough money to keep their listed buildings in good shape. They obviously had plans for it (especially the "studio" well before the Sussexes decided they want to live there, so this work should have been done by now. Who's to say Harry and Meghan are not already using one of these flats for themselves? They prefer to stay under the radar as much as possible and that is their chance. Especially as noone can prove that they even have rented that "cottage in the Cotswolds". At least I have not seen any pics of them there.

I love the idea that H&M have not been in the Cotswolds as wittered about in the DF et al. The have never been able to nail their location down for all their talk of leases etc. I have no doubt that they have utilised the Soho amenities on occasion but for all we know they may have been spending time at Windsor either at one of the cottages, with their family there or even in the Castle itself.

It makes sense for them to have spent as much time as possible at Windsor to see if they could actually adapt to country living. No point in planning to live there if the relative quiet drives you crazy and bores you to tears. It would also have enabled them to talk over the possibilities with an architect and ask for opinions from HM, Prince Philip or input from Prince Charles who knows more than a little about restoration yet creating a living home space instead of just a showpiece.

I hope the renovations to Frogmore Cottage include some serious external beautification. Frogmore House is gorgeous but the cottage looks like a squat lump of stucco. As it is Grade II listed, there are probably constraints on changes to the outside which would be unfortunate. It needs larger windows and a more welcoming front entrance. As it is now, it doesn't even look like a home. I hope I'm wrong and that we will see photos that reveal its better side. I've yet to see a photo that would make me want to live there - except that the gardens are exquisite and may very well make living there worth it.

Every photo I’ve seen of Frogmore Cottage has been from the same angle, taken from the footpath, and if I’m reading the map correctly that means we’ve just been seeing a little bit of the back. So we don’t know what the entrance looks like, what size the front-facing windows are, etc. And given how very much more lawn and garden there is on the front, I’m not sure that back yard that we’ve seen is meant to get much use from the building’s inhabitants.

Last edited:
include some serious external beautification

Exterior changes to Grade II listed properties are tricky - they are listed for a REASON [that they are either of 'historical or architectural interest']..
Nobody [not even Royals] can ignore that, and rightly so.

That said, restitution can be made 'to a previously existing historical state', provided photographs of that state exist.

So the restitution of the single storey front extension [with the louvred windows] would be possible, and that is a LOT prettier than the existing entrance..

Let's hope they give Frogmore cottage a complete overhaul inside and out...but I can't imagine they wouldn't do the outside too..along with the garden areas.

LaRae

Are the Sussexes keeping hold of Nottingham Cottage too, long term?

^
I bloody well hope they RESPECT the nature of the building, they have the honour to occupy.
They are merely temporary 'tenants', and our historical fabric is of infinitely greater importance than their stylistic whims..
If they want 'modern they should go elsewhere and build anew !

According to Richard palmer the Frogmore Cottage will be their main residence for the "foreseeable future" and if it is true it will only have 5 bedrooms that seems a bit small for the Sussexes growing family.

I wonder if this is just a move to hold them over until something becomes available in London.

Exterior changes to Grade II listed properties are tricky - they are listed for a REASON [that they are either of 'historical or architectural interest']..

That said, restitution can be made 'to a previously existing historical state', provided photographs of that state exist.

So the restitution of the single storey front extension [with the louvred windows] would be possible, and that is a LOT prettier than the existing entrance..

I agree. That would make a much more welcoming, and more historically appropriate, appearance to the front. Thank you for the info.

Let's hope they give Frogmore cottage a complete overhaul inside and out...but I can't imagine they wouldn't do the outside too..along with the garden areas.

LaRae

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Pranter. That whole place needs to be reconstructed.

I don't think they would've chosen this building if they had serious issues with its exterior. However, some cosmetic work like a fresh coat of paint will do wonders for the place.

whole place needs to be reconstructed.

I'm 'bound to say' -spoken like someone with NO respect or sensitivity to what came before an individuals TEMPORARY tenure of a historic building.

If they muck it up I GUARANTEE The Duchess will be blamed...

According to Richard palmer the Frogmore Cottage will be their main residence for the "foreseeable future" and if it is true it will only have 5 bedrooms that seems a bit small for the Sussexes growing family.

I wonder if this is just a move to hold them over until something becomes available in London.

Well, as raised elsewhere in the thread, there’s always a question as to what’s meant by the stated bedroom count of royal residences. Depending on who’s doing the talking it could mean total number of spaces in which humans associated with the place could sleep or it could just mean family bedrooms, not counting accommodations for staff. Back when Omid Scobie said he’d heard Nott Cott was 3 bedrooms and not the widely reported 2, my thought was that there may have been a staff room that some were counting as a bedroom and others weren’t. But for “Frog Cott,” five family bedrooms could be just fine if they’re not planning on more than two or three children, especially if that also means other spaces once used as bedrooms is now available for office, exercise and/or play rooms.

I'm 'bound to say' -spoken like someone with NO respect or sensitivity to what came before an individuals TEMPORARY tenure of a historic building.

If they muck it up I GUARANTEE The Duchess will be blamed...

Folks will get over the Sussex’s doing what they like to their official residence. Just like folks got over the Cambridge’s doing what they wanted to their country home, Anmer Hall. By the current pictures, that Cottage needs work to change it from an work space to a family home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom