Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the road they're right next to is a private road that's part of the Windsor Home Park series of private roads. Looking at Google Street View, there are physical barriers to entry at all the entrances into the Windsor Home Park. The closest publically accessible pathway is the Long Walk, which is pedestrian only, but that's almost half a kilometer away and there's already some fairly significant screening fences, trees and shrubbery between the Long Walk and the Frogmore Estate.

The footpath that Patricia Treble posted a picture from is only open during those few days when Frogmore is open (which is why, I suspect, it's not considered a "public footpath" for the planning document purposes), and will be easy enough to close off (and possibly just remove altogether and sod over).

Ah duh..didn't realize they were private roads. Ok so they are pretty enclosed then, no one is going to just drive by unless they have a right to be on the estate itself.

If I were them I'd want that footpath re-routed but not sure they will do that.

LaRae

Had No Idea This May Not Be True

glad i'm reading this thread - the "news" was covered by CNN here in the States so I just assumed it was true. Now reading these comments am realizing it may not be.

also didn't realize Frogmore House and Cottage were near the public paths. Thought Duke and Duchess of Sussex would be moving there for more privacy. The press including paparazzi may give this move coverage than any baby since William.

Its funny too that with CNN and news channels broadcasting the news about Frogmore Cottage, even my hubby remarked on it by chastising me for not letting him in on the big news. Frankly, I didn't think he'd be interested. :D

The public paths, as has been pointed out, aren't so very public as they're within Windsor Home Park (I get the Windsor Great Park and Windsor Home Park confused) and its all private land owned by the Crown Estate. Its not a place that the general public can just go roaming through on their own although there are tours and such available.

I don't think privacy is going to be too much of an issue for Harry and Meghan though. They'll have everything worked out before they move in.

Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

I assume Harry and Meghan chose Windsor because they like it and it was an available option for them. It was made clear many times Windsor was special to them. So, they decided to live there. (Whereas even if William and Kate wanted their permanent primary home to be Windsor-who knows really- I doubt that was a realistic option for them. London/KP with a country home was probably always the plan.)

I don’t think the move to Windsor was because they’re not getting along with William and Kate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that the Sussexes are at Windsor...it's romantic considering their attachment to the place. They will have a very different role too.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there ANY actual corroboration that Ms Ragland has relocated to the UK ?

Nor I. It seems that some people take the Daily Fail as gospel truth and post it here as an established fact. Its giving the Fail much more credence than they deserve in my book. ;)

Hillary Clinton’s mother lived in the White House with her ‘kids’; as Laura Bush’s mother did; as Michelle Obama’s mother did ( with their own ‘kids’, of course, not with the Clintons!). And Melania Trump’s parents moved to the Washington area, as well. It’s very practical for a grandparent to be on hand for parents with busy schedules that involve traveling. And it’s unlikely that Doria will be sleeping on a fold out sofa!

Since Doria has no other children, of course she would want to be near her daughter. Even with a nanny, it’s great to have a granny. I vote this to be a true rumor. If she’s not living there now, she will be soon.

As far as the privacy and security go...it's a pretty open area and they are right on a road...unless they put up a big fence I don't see how they would have any privacy when going outside.

The paps and tourists just have to stand there and snap pics.

LaRae

Its not a real public road though, its a road in Windsor Home Park so used only by those with permits to do so. How often do we see pictures of Andrew and co arriving and leaving Royal Lodge. Its more private than going in and out of KP. Anmer is close to a public road but a bit of landscaping and they were sorted so I am sure they will sort out Frogmore Cottage. The biggest issue I see is making it private from the grounds of Frogmore but that really is only a case of possibly diverting a path or two, putting up some fences and maybe some hedges. Not massive really.

I think it'd take wild horses and a few stampeding elephants to keep Doria away from being with Meghan as the birth of her first child approaches. Doria most likely will remain with Harry and Meghan for a substantial amount of time after the birth too.

This, however, doesn't mean that Doria will be moving to the UK or Frogmore Cottage permanently. Doria does maintain her own active life professionally and socially and may not wish to relocate any time soon. Its a possibility that she may move to the UK eventually but that remains to be seen.

Another wait and watch to see what develops situation. :D

How long can you stay visiting on a Visa? She isn't a resident there and it would hardly be surprising if she doesn't come to visit often now that she has retired. Moving in is a whole different thing.

LaRae

How long can you stay visiting on a Visa? She isn't a resident there and it would hardly be surprising if she doesn't come to visit often now that she has retired. Moving in is a whole different thing.

LaRae

Normally 3 months, but one could always get an extension for up to 6 months. Extension is done through application.

LaRae

I didn't know that she retired. That must be very recent...

The Frogmore Cottage looks like a dream location. It's perfect.

Off topic.
Can a person be sponsored by an employer, say, if one wanted to work as a yoga teacher?
Is a visitor visa the only option for someone wanting to live in the UK for half the year?

Last edited:
If you look on the link I posted earlier it does go through all the things a person on that particular visa can and can't do. To undertake paid work in any area I believe you would have to apply for a work visa whether you have a sponsor or not. It's slightly different for people who are going to Britain to perform or take part in an exhibition etc.

:previous: I think the sheer paucity of photos is an indication of just how inaccessible Frogmore Cottage is, and the only view visible to anyone was the back view and even then that view was only available on a Frogmore Tour which also only covers a short period of time annually and the tours themselves are guided tours.

Rebecca english has a new article with info about Frogmore Cottage. Reportedly the cottage is being renovated into a 5 bedroom house not 10 bedrooms as previously reported and work has started already.

The Sussexes were presented with a few different options but made their final decision after they returned from their Australia tour. The main reason they chose Windsor is said to be privacy and and a large garden for the kids KP has many rooms but not much private green space for kids.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...on-Harry-Meghan-moving-away-William-Kate.html

I would imagine given we know there are 7+ bedrooms between the 5 separate units of old that they are extending some, adding ensuite bathrooms etc. But I wonder if the 5 bedrooms given in this most recent article also includes any for nannies etc. Though I guess there are plenty of other properties at Windsor for staff to use.

Interesting that this article still states the Gloucester's are moving out anyway.

I really do wonder if we will hear any confirmation of whether they are keeping Notts cottage or not.

Rebecca english has a new article with info about Frogmore Cottage. Reportedly the cottage is being renovated into a 5 bedroom house not 10 bedrooms as previously reported and work has started already.

The Sussexes were presented with a few different options but made their final decision after they returned from their Australia tour. The main reason they chose Windsor is said to be privacy and and a large garden for the kids KP has many rooms but not much private green space for kids.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...on-Harry-Meghan-moving-away-William-Kate.html

The report of ten bedrooms was about the original cottage. It was oringinally ten bedroom. Whether it's being converted to five or not stages to be seen.

It wouldn't be shocking. The rooms in the older houses were often quite small by modern standards. Apartment 1a went from 30 rooms to 20 rooms when it was modernized. Considering a nursery or two woukd be two rooms in one each, five bedrooms is still extensive. There would also be further rooms for staff. The rooms for like a nanny would not be in they count. Kate and Williams is called 5 bedroom but includes housing for staff beyond (said to have 9 staff rooms).

Last edited:
But Prince Richard never grew up at Apt 1 ! The Gloucesters lived at York House, St James Palace!
Apt 1 was occupied by Princess LOuise, duchess of Argyll until her death in 1939. Then the apartment was divided when Princess Marina, duchess of Kent moved in in 1954/1955, the 1A being the home of Princess Margaret from 1962.
After the death of Marina in 1968, the Gloucesters moved in around 1970. Hardly a childhood home !

Wow, okay. Well, the Gloucesters probably spent a lot of time at Barnwell Manor when their boys were growing up. So then Apt 1 was not a childhood home for Richard or for his brother, William, who by the early 70s was leading a separate life anyway having graduated from university, etc. William of Gloucester was one of the brilliant Windsors academically, and he pursued a diplomatic career prior to dying in a light aircraft plane crash at a time when he was despondent over being denied the right to marry the older woman he loved (who had two young daughters from a prior marriage).

Thanks for checking and clearing that up about when the Gloucesters moved into Apt 1. I think the point then is that the Gloucesters have still occupied Apt 1 for over 45 years. That's a very long time.

In any case, we still don't know if any of the rumors are true about the Gloucesters supposedly offering to give up Apt 1 to W&K, and whether they currently ever offered to give it up to M&H. What does seem to be clear (but unconfirmed) is that M&H may never have wanted to move into Apt 1 in the first place for their primary residence.

I'm not familiar with the US/Uk legislation.
Is a dual citizenship an option for Doria? (And for that matter for Meghan, considering her status.)
That would make it simpler for Doria to stay for as long as she wish, not that I think there would be any problems on the British side regardless. That's "fixable."
But on the US side? I mean in regards to taxation and what not.

I will believe the Gloucesters moving when I see it. They gave been moving for years. :whistling:

If they wanted to make it believable they should have suggested the couple were moving into something believable like 4b or Geidts apartment. The stables are not a cottage like Wren or even Ivy. It is a row of flats, most of which are used by staff members. Not the spacious apartments used by senior staff either.

The Gloucesters may be empty nesters but they use their home for offices as well. And entertaining for their engagements. Not to mention family visits. A two bedroom flat among the butlers and some non staff like an architect, is hard to believe.

I'm not familiar with the US/Uk legislation.
Is a dual citizenship an option for Doria? (And for that matter for Meghan, considering her status.)
That would make it simpler for Doria to stay for as long as she wish, not that I think there would be any problems on the British side regardless. That's "fixable."
But on the US side? I mean in regards to taxation and what not.

For Meghan yes she can have dual citizenship. Problem is she would still be required to pay taxes in the US as long as she is.

But what grounds does Doria have? She doesn't have any UK ancestry to make an ancestry claim. She isn't marrying a British citizen. Her only option would be to get a job in the UK and work for three years and to claim on basis of residency.

Last edited:
I wonder if maybe reports are confusing two issues. We know the Gloucester apartment 1 had a new roof recently, I'm sure they would have had to move out for that work to happen so maybe they did indeed move out to somewhere like the Stables relatively briefly while the work was done. That has gone on while the media have been speculating on a residence for H&M so the media have put two and together and got 12.

We will never know what really took place but tabloïds have to find subjects of course...

People are posting articles from the Fail. I don't trust any of that. Who are their sources? Where are they getting this information, particularly about Meghan and Harry deciding on things after the Australia tour? I want to know who the sources actually are.

How does anyone know when Harry and Meghan made the final decision to live at Frogmore Cottage? It seems more plausible that they made this decision months ago, if not a year ago, re discussing where they would eventually decide to make their primary residence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom