Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They may not keep the Cotswolds place after they move...this is going to be the 'country home' from what it sounds like ...will be interesting to see.

LaRae

They may not keep the Cotswolds place after they move...this is going to be the 'country home' from what it sounds like ...will be interesting to see.

LaRae

And they can always keep a place in London for their evening events, much like Anne, Andrew and Wessexes do.?

I'm sure that Indian Kiosk used to be in the Gardens of Buckingham Palace.. there is a picture of QEQM in a 'White Wardrobe' gown, and Parasol, taken just before the State visit to Paris in the late thirties..
I wonder when it was moved ?

Y'know, I wouldn't be all that surprised if we were to find out that the decision for the Sussex family to have Frogmore Cottage as their primary residence has been in the works for quite a bit of time already but just not announced or even whispered about. Harry and Meghan and the Queen may have even decided on it before the wedding even and that's one reason we hear that Frogmore and Windsor have won Harry and Meghan's hearts.

I'm just speculating on this but again, it wouldn't surprise me. The BRF never, ever does things spur of the moment and they plan things well in advance. Especially if those living at Frogmore Cottage needed time to relocate somewhere else. Its also plays into the narrative I'm presenting why Harry and Meghan are renting in the Cotswolds as a country retreat now until Frogmore Cottage renovations are done.

Living in Windsor fits the mould that already exists. Both Andrew and Edward have their official residences there with small apartments in London. Harry and Meghan are just continuing what’s been in place for years.

This may also fit in with the earlier information that H&M intend to keep Nott Cott for some time. FC can be their main hone, Nott Cott their London bolt-hole.

LaRae

I agree, once they have FC, they do not need to have a place in the Cotswolds.

Last edited by a moderator:

LaRae

I’m sure it also depends on how long they signed the lease for. It’s been reported as 2, 3, or 5 years. Although, if they already knew some place would becomes available as their permenant home, then it’s unlikely to have been 5 years. They’ll probably just keep it until the lease runs out.

I’m sure it also depends on how long they signed the lease for. It’s been reported as 2, 3, or 5 years. Although, if they already knew some place would becomes available as their permenant home, then it’s unlikely to have been 5 years. They’ll probably just keep it until the lease runs out.

The fact that they would soon end up with a proper home would not have been a surprise, so I guess they would have kept that in mind whilst signing the lease. Apart from the cost of the rental, securing the rented home is a major cost consideration as well.

:whistling::whistling:Just a though, a home for Doria? Dora will need to live under the shield too because of crazies.

Seriously the cachet on the place has improved fabulously. Rents are doubled when they leave.:eek::eek:

:whistling::whistling:Just a though, a home for Doria? Dora will need to live under the shield too because of crazies.

Seriously the cachet on the place has improved fabulously. Rents are doubled when they leave.:eek::eek:

Why would she stay anywhere else other than at the Sussex home when she’s in England? If we are talking about security, it’s pribably far safer in Sussexes’ home than if she’s on her own.

Might Harry have anything to do with the decision, or is it just the star from across the podn, whom they met less than two years ago?

Of course the queen loves Harry and won't ever mind meeting him when she is enjoying Frogmore Gardens in private like she is used to do. Something else is to share your private retreat with the new granddaughter-in-law who might every moment turn up on the same path, as she is known to love walking. So if there ever was concern about the question of Frogmore Cottage as their new home, it would be about Meghan, not Harry. :flowers:

I definitely think the footpath situation will have to be addressed. If I remember correctly, while the Frogmore House is only open to the public for a few days a year, it is rented out for events at times, right?

Come to think of it: we were told around the time of the engagement that Meghan and Harry took long walks together to become better acquainted with each other. They probably walked around Frogmore Park among other tours because this is secluded and really private. I had wondered why they were both so fond of Frogmore which is not a place someone would take a girlfriend, or so I thought before knowing more about the gardens - I tagged it as a rarely used mansion plus cemetary in the garden. And it's not even the place Diana is buried (it is for some who love rumours...) it even could be that of the five flats, one was available for them and so they had quite a good exposition to the place from the beginning. Fact is, we don't know anything about the cottage at all...

I definitely think the footpath situation will have to be addressed. If I remember correctly, while the Frogmore House is only open to the public for a few days a year, it is rented out for events at times, right?

You have 3 Charity Days every year, and then in August is can be pre-booked for groups of 15 or more.

I imagine it can be hired out privately perhaps for a large sum, but I can't find anything on google to suggest so. :flowers:

Great to have it confirmed. Lovely they will be living at Frogmore, even if cottage and not main house. The estate has played a special role for them. :flowers:

Even if the planning permission was only new I highly doubt they waited till now to tell the residents. They didn't kick people into the street just before Christmas :bang: Unless they bought a new place it was going to be a reality they woukd have to move someone as the properties are all being used in some form. I find it funny people are upset employees are being rehoused but were all for the Gloucesters having to relocate from their long time home. Same thing happened with Amner, it was leased. The queen actually ended the lease early on the tennant so the work could be done.

Their rented place makes sense. They likely knew the planning and work would take time. Since unlike William and Kate they would not have alternative housing when the baby came (Wales until early September and Buckleberry) the rental gave them some where to be. They can stay there until work is done. Likely something was worked out with their agreement.

The home makes sense. Close to London to be their main home. They can gave a small London base if needed like Anne, Andrew and Edward do.

As for Philip he is often at Windsor. And he isn't reason enough for them to live at Sandringham. This is their long term home, even after he passes. This base suits their life so much better. Like they do now, they will visit Sandringham at Christmas and other times. Possible when Charles is king, they will use something like wood farm for their privacy at holidays.

Nice touch that the cottage was Queen Mary's home. Meghan wore Mary's diamond bandeau at the wedding. I know not reason for the house but still a nice link.

Last edited:
Great to have it confirmed. Lovely they will be living at Frogmore, even if cottage she not main house. The estate has played a special role for them. :flowers:

This actually works better than the Frogmore House. I think some ruled the Frogmore House out before as it would be a pain in the ass to renovate and preserve, if at all possible, to make it liveable for a family due to historical preservation requirements.

Last edited:
Are there any pictures of the interior of F.C. prior to it being turned into offices? Like maybe back when Queen Mary lived there?

LaRae

This actually works better than the Frogmore House. I think some ruled the Frogmore House out before as it would be a pain in the ass to renovate and preserve, if at all possible, to make it liveable for a family due to historical preservation requirements.

OH certainly works better. The main house us basically a museum and there is little they could to make it personal. I just meant that they still get their special memories of Frogmore, even if not in the main house. :flowers:

This way they can have the freedom to make changes and have their own home, but still have that link.

Plus they have close family in LOndon who each have large houses with more than one bedroom for guests. Eg they could be staying in Clarence House or in Apt. 1A overnight and may even bring the little one to stay with Grandpa Charles or little cousin Louis in the nursery. Seeing as it is announced that Frogmore Cottage will be their "official residence" (just like Clarence House is Charles', BP is the queen's and Apt. 1A is William's) they could of course keep Nott Cott as a second, more informal residence for overnight stays.
I personally am supersticious, I would not like to move next to my family's graveyard, though...

I think it’s awful that newlyweds with a baby/growing family on the way are being rehoused in this place and I sense a not-so-nice sense of humour behind the offer. I dunno but the movie ‘the parent trap’ springs to mind or maybe a ‘the newlyweds trap’ film could be on the horizon. Just my opinion!

It's great they will live somewhere that means something to them. Frogmore was mentioned early in the engagement as a home for them. I believe it was the main house they were talking about which is a museum.
The cottage has 11 bedrooms so not a little cottage at all. I'm sure they both wanted to live here and the Queen has allowed it good for them.

Last edited:
I think it’s awful that newlyweds with a baby/growing family on the way are being rehoused in this place and I sense a not-so-nice sense of humour behind the offer. I dunno but the movie ‘the parent trap’ springs to mind or maybe a ‘the newlyweds trap’ film could be on the horizon. Just my opinion!
What are you talking about?

One thing I can be pretty certain about is that Harry and Meghan aren't being *forced* to move into Frogmore Cottage. Harry and Meghan both had their say in where they'd like to live and if Frogmore Cottage, for any reason, wasn't palatable to them, they wouldn't be moving in there.

I'm of the opinion that it is Harry and Meghan's *choice* of a home to raise their family in. I would imagine too that they were presented with other options to consider.

I have no clue what you mean by the "parent trap" or "the newlywed trap". Care to elaborate on this?

Didn’t Meghan say during their engagement interview that they’d taken long walks at Windsor? Plus- their engagement photos, wedding and both receptions were there. I think they clearly both really like Windsor. Lovely that they can make that their primary home.

I’m lol at this being called a cottage though. It has 10-11 bedrooms from what I’ve read.

@Osipi, Well the couple are hardly going to object/reject an offer of a permanent home made by the queen are they? Just look at the damaging leaks/lies caused them re the tiara drama. Yes there are those willing to go that length in relation to this particular couple. I also sincerely doubt other choices re ‘official’ homes were made available to them. Again this is my view. And since I’ve read on here many times that we have to accept other views that are not hunky-dory about the DoS I’m hoping the same applies when not-so-sickly-sweet comments are made about other members of the BRF. Re the movie, google is your friend.

Last edited:
Didn’t Meghan say during their engagement interview that they’d taken long walks at Windsor? Plus- their engagement photos, wedding and both receptions were there. I think they clearly both really like Windsor. Lovely that they can make that their primary home.

I’m lol at this being called a cottage though. It has 10-11 bedrooms from what I’ve read.

Meghan said long country walks. No one knows where exactly. However, Jason Knauf made it clear that Windsor is very special to the couple and they’ve spent time there during their relationship when Windsor was announced as the wedding venue.

And for those that doubt H&M would choose Frogmore out of their free will, they chose it for their wedding reception and engagement photos when they could’ve had other places. There goes that theory of them being forced...

Last edited:
@Osipi, Well the couple are hardly going to object/reject an offer of a permanent home made by the queen are they? Just look at the damaging leaks/lies caused them re the tiara drama. Yes there are those willing to go that length in relation to this particular couple. I also sincerely doubt other choices re ‘official’ homes were made available to them. Again this is my view. And since I’ve read on here many times that we have to accept other views that are not hunky-dory about the DoS I’m hoping the same applies when not-so-sickly-sweet comments are made about other members of the BRF. Re the movie, google is your friend.
Yes of course, you are entitled to your opinion! But I am also trying to understand your point of view!:flowers: Are you saying that the Queen has been in disingenuous offering Frogmore Cottage to Meghan and Harry? Why?

By the way...a lot of media are misinterpreting Frogmore House for Frogmore Cottage. This youtube video was very helpful.

Last edited:
Meghan said long country walks. No one knows where exactly. However, Jason Knauf made it clear that Windsor is very special to the couple and they’ve spent time there during their relationship when Windsor was announced as the wedding venue.

And for those that doubt H&M would choose Frogmore out of their free will, they chose it for their wedding reception and engagement photos when they could’ve had other places. There goes that theory of them being forced...

Thanks for clarifying. I do remember them being very specific at the time the wedding venue was announced that Windsor was special to them. Maybe that’s where I got into my head that the walks were there?

Anyway- I have no doubt Windsor is special to them. They absolutely had other options for their engagement photos and both of their wedding receptions. They clearly like it. And I don’t see HM “forcing” them to live there.

Not sure why people will think they are being forced. Harry and Meghan have made it beyond clear how important Windsor is to them. It was because of that people wondered in the beginning if they would move there before all the Apt 1 stuff took over.

This is the perfect set up for them. They can basically start fresh and have all the privacy they desire. They likely will just use Nott Cott when they are in London for extended periods.

Of course your opinions and views are always welcome and I've enjoyed your posts in the past. Thing is, we have no real clue what homes were on the table for Harry and Meghan to choose from. They may have been offered a larger apartment at KP or even a residence on the Sandringham estate. We'll probably never know though as those conversations with the Queen about residences will probably never be made public so your opinion is as good as anyone else's around here. :D

As for the "parent trap" thing, I know the movie well as I was around to see it when the original was released in 1961. I just wondered what the movie would have in relation to Harry and Meghan. Again, no problem.

I suspect this has been in the works for some time especially with KP announcing they will move in “early next year”, that's quite specific which is either carless (speaking as someone who moved into a new build home 6months late die to delays etc) or purposeful as they are at a point in the work they are confident it will be ready in that time frame.
Moving out 5 families and converting their houses into one big house yes i know it was one residence before) takes time.
For what I’ve read and seen about Windsor it us, in effect, a private compound for the royals. Many of the roads are private or by permit only, many of the residents are royal employees so I can wholly believe work has been underway without the media noticing. I also think the RF will have learnt from the way the move to Anmer was handled, there was lots of speculation before the Queen eventually terminated the lease early and I think lessons have been learnt to ensure this was handled more discreetly.

I wonder if, with this being their "official residence" they might utilise some of the rooms at Frogmore for official entertaining, receptions etc.

Last edited:
I don't remember such fuss when the Cambridges were given Anmer Hall ...
I don't see Frogmore cottage as a big deal, in fact it's much more in the tradition of the previous country retreats given by the Queen in the Family.
To overhype any move by/for/supposed against the Sussexes is a bit crazy ( i mean CNN really).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom