Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So now that it has been confirmed...waiting to see how they will address the privacy issue (foot paths etc).

It's quite a large home...I wonder how long the renovations will take.

LaRae

Frogmore Cottage sounds like a perfect match for the couple. Low key, in Windsor and on the beautiful grounds of Frogmore House.
I just hope they get the privacy issues sorted out. It seems very easily accessible and very close to Frogmore House which is open to the public for a few days in the year.

If it is only a few days a year. They might decide to spend those days elsewhere. I don't expect them to be at their main residence every day of the year.

I wonder when Frogmore Cottage was last resided in?

Currently, there are apparently 5 staff members (and families?) residing in Frogmore House... Or maybe they were very recently kicked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to identify Frogmore Cottage on Google Maps (satellite); can someone help out? Is it one of the slightly larger structure north west of Frogmore House at the end of Frogmore Drive (there are 2 somewhat larger houses) or is it the one right next to Frogmore House? Or even another structure?

Its the largish building to the North West of the main house, with a curved driveway / road in front.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...761ed6fe46f7175!8m2!3d51.4742991!4d-0.5943737

Its the largish building to the North West of the main house, with a curved driveway / road in front.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...761ed6fe46f7175!8m2!3d51.4742991!4d-0.5943737

Thanks! That was the one I had in mind as the most likely building but couldn't find a confirmation.

So, the footpath everyone is talking about is in the back. Now things start making sense :)

It shouldn't be too hard to cut that part out. There would still be enough footpath left. What's that statue(?) relatively close to the cottage that they might want to keep visible for the public (in the middle of the footpath circle that passes the cottage)?

Last edited:
There has been a lot of discussion online the last two or three days speculating about the move to Windsor. As to the discussion about the Gloucester's refusing to move . . . that has annoyed me as I think all of the older KP Royals are empty nesters but they don't lead empty lives. Their charity work leads to entertaining just as it does for the POW, just as it is starting to do for the Cambridge and the Sussexes.

The notion that the Sussexes prefer the country to London as a place to live has been obvious since Meghan came on the scene and Harry leased a country house quite some distance from London. It is only when a possible permanent home away from KP is mooted that the whole brotherly disconnect occurs. I don't know about most of you, but the whole idea of William and Harry living next to each other and working with each other 24/7 would drive anyone spare. The days of two young princes living 'you and me against the world' as young men has given way to two remarkably well-rounded men happily married and living separate lives as each pursues their destiny.

I have always thought that Windsor was their most likely destiny. As to exactly where? I will believe it when they move

Frogmore Cottage looks like a lovely family residence. Peaceful and quaint, but London just close by. They could easily continue to use Nottingham Cottage or a small KP apartment for quick overnight stays if needed.

There has been a lot of discussion online the last two or three days speculating about the move to Windsor. As to the discussion about the Gloucester's refusing to move . . . that has annoyed me as I think all of the older KP Royals are empty nesters but they don't lead empty lives. Their charity work leads to entertaining just as it does for the POW, just as it is starting to do for the Cambridge and the Sussexes.

The notion that the Sussexes prefer the country to London as a place to live has been obvious since Meghan came on the scene and Harry leased a country house quite some distance from London. It is only when a possible permanent home away from KP is mooted that the whole brotherly disconnect occurs. I don't know about most of you, but the whole idea of William and Harry living next to each other and working with each other 24/7 would drive anyone spare. The days of two young princes living 'you and me against the world' as young men has given way to two remarkably well-rounded men happily married and living separate lives as each pursues their destiny.

I have always thought that Windsor was their most likely destiny. As to exactly where? I will believe it when they move

Well it's been confirmed by KP so Frogmore Cottage is the place. It will be quite roomy for them from the looks of it!

LaRae

Looking at google maps last night, Frogmore Cottage is not much of a cottage, and much more a very large, sprawling house. If the 5 apartments have already been vacated, then I suppose it's possible that work has already begun, and a move in date for next year might be possible. But if the residents were given some time to gather their effects and move out (and right before Christmas, too, how's that for bad optics?) and work doesn't start until early next year, I'm not seeing an early move in date for the Sussexes. It is a big house, and to reconvert it to a single family dwelling from 5 apartments with five kitchens, entrances, etc. must be a massive job. And that's not even taking into account redecorating, that's just considering structural changes. This should be interesting.

Frogmore Cottage looks like a lovely family residence. Peaceful and quaint, but London just close by. They could easily continue to use Nottingham Cottage or a small KP apartment for quick overnight stays if needed.
Plus they have close family in LOndon who each have large houses with more than one bedroom for guests. Eg they could be staying in Clarence House or in Apt. 1A overnight and may even bring the little one to stay with Grandpa Charles or little cousin Louis in the nursery. Seeing as it is announced that Frogmore Cottage will be their "official residence" (just like Clarence House is Charles', BP is the queen's and Apt. 1A is William's) they could of course keep Nott Cott as a second, more informal residence for overnight stays.
I personally am supersticious, I would not like to move next to my family's graveyard, though...

Looking at google maps last night, Frogmore Cottage is not much of a cottage, and much more a very large, sprawling house. If the 5 apartments have already been vacated, then I suppose it's possible that work has already begun, and a move in date for next year might be possible. But if the residents were given some time to gather their effects and move out (and right before Christmas, too, how's that for bad optics?) and work doesn't start until early next year, I'm not seeing an early move in date for the Sussexes. It is a big house, and to reconvert it to a single family dwelling from 5 apartments with five kitchens, entrances, etc. must be a massive job. And that's not even taking into account redecorating, that's just considering structural changes. This should be interesting.

I think technically it's a Georgian Mansion.

LaRae

I think technically it's a Georgian Mansion.

LaRae

It would be interesting to know the square footage, because the map makes it look massive. I couldn't tell for sure if there were separate structures for security and staff--it looked like it, but there were a lot of trees.

A few thoughts:

1.) seems as if the second and third sons have their official residences somewhere other than London (Andrew and Edward at Royal Lodge and Bagshot)
2.) just because we are just now receiving the official announcement, doesn't mean that work/renovations haven't been going on for some time. I'm sure this has been known to Harry and Meghan and they have been working w/architects and designers for some time -- especially if the property requires a great deal of work and they are expected to move in at some point in the next 6-10 months.

JMHO

I suspect the existing tenants would have been rehoused sometime back. The KP announcement is quite clear that the couple intend to move in the new year, before the birth of their child. This would suggest that renovation work (both structural and redecorating) will be quite far advanced, and must be nearing completion.

I like how KP made sure to mention that their official office will continue to be at KP. The rumors of tension and splitting are false. Now the couple must be rather busy overseeing the finishing renovations of their new family home.

It would be interesting to know the square footage, because the map makes it look massive. I couldn't tell for sure if there were separate structures for security and staff--it looked like it, but there were a lot of trees.

I've googled around on that but can't find it so far. But it's certainly roomy given the pics of it.

LaRae

I've googled around on that but can't find it so far. But it's certainly roomy given the pics of it.

LaRae

There's a structure to the right, near the footpath, surrounded by a hedge, but I can't tell if it's something like a greenhouse or something that could be used to house staff.

Last edited:
I suspect the existing tenants would have been rehoused sometime back. The KP announcement is quite clear that the couple intend to move in the new year, before the birth of their child. This would suggest that renovation work (both structural and redecorating) will be quite far advanced, and must be nearing completion.

Very sneaky of them to have accomplished all that without anyone noticing! I love that about the BRF: what you see on the surface is only a very small part of what is actually going on.

Any clue from the dates on the permits when work may actually have begun, I wonder?

There's a structure to the right, near the footpath, surrounded by a hedge, but I can't tell if it's something like a greenhouse or something that could be used to house staff.

I saw that..wondered if it was a garage? Maybe they don't need one of those.

By the way...I'm not sure that construction has been going on for months there...with all the talk of housing I'd think someone would of noticed if construction had been already happening...and someone posted earlier in the thread application for renovation for the Cottage were just applied for in the past month.

LaRae

I saw that..wondered if it was a garage? Maybe they don't need one of those.

By the way...I'm not sure that construction has been going on for months there...with all the talk of housing I'd think someone would of noticed if construction had been already happening...and someone posted earlier in the thread application for renovation for the Cottage were just applied for in the past month.

LaRae

They may have given the tenants the notice to pack up and leave about the same time as the permits were applied for or earlier, but even if the apartments have been vacated, the scope of work needed just seems like way too much to be accomplished in the 4-5 months before the baby is born. Even if you are willing and able to throw a huge amount of money at a project like this, renovation and redecorating take time and an enormous amount of coordination. If work has still not actually begun, I'm skeptical about a move in date before the baby is born.

They may have given the tenants the notice to pack up and leave about the same time as the permits were applied for or earlier, but even if the apartments have been vacated, the scope of work needed just seems like way too much to be accomplished in the 4-5 months before the baby is born. Even if you are willing and able to throw a huge amount of money at a project like this, renovation and redecorating take time and an enormous amount of coordination. If work has still not actually begun, I'm skeptical about a move in date before the baby is born.

From page 1 (hel posting)

There are, in fact, currently two public records for planning permission for the renovation of Frogmore Cottage, both filed on October 26, 2018. Interestingly, a similar document is attached to both applications, which includes the following text:

The Local Planning Authority can confirm that the application contains sensitive information and therefore the public register is not accompanied by any forms, drawings or supporting documents. The application will be advertised in the usual way but there is no additional information that is publicly disclosable.

So..my guess is they won't be moving in prior to the birth of the baby unless they have a crew going over there 24/7 ....doesn't appear there was renovation prior to the application in October.

LaRae

:previous:the announcement from KP said the Sussexes plan to move to Frogmore Cottage early next year, but in that case renovations would need to be partially done already to be finished in 3-4 months time.
Maybe the story about Adelaide Cottage last summer was a distraction while plans for Frogmore Cottage were ongoing.
Some renovation may have been possible without permits and they did that, waiting until they absolutely had to to file with the planning commission.

Y'know, I wouldn't be all that surprised if we were to find out that the decision for the Sussex family to have Frogmore Cottage as their primary residence has been in the works for quite a bit of time already but just not announced or even whispered about. Harry and Meghan and the Queen may have even decided on it before the wedding even and that's one reason we hear that Frogmore and Windsor have won Harry and Meghan's hearts.

I'm just speculating on this but again, it wouldn't surprise me. The BRF never, ever does things spur of the moment and they plan things well in advance. Especially if those living at Frogmore Cottage needed time to relocate somewhere else. Its also plays into the narrative I'm presenting why Harry and Meghan are renting in the Cotswolds as a country retreat now until Frogmore Cottage renovations are done.

Living in Windsor fits the mould that already exists. Both Andrew and Edward have their official residences there with small apartments in London. Harry and Meghan are just continuing what’s been in place for years.

Very happy about the Windsor move - as I previously outlined with Adelaide Cottage it has many great benefits and seems to fit the needs of both of them to a T.

I hope Frogmore will offer them the same loving, happy place for their growing family that Anmer offered for Will and Catherine in years past.

Moving a path away from the residence and putting up some walls and bushes for safety and privacy is not such a big deal. This is an ideal solution and one that has been heralded by many.

Last edited:
:previous:the announcement from KP said the Sussexes plan to move to Frogmore Cottage early next year, but in that case renovations would need to be partially done already to be finished in 3-4 months time.
Maybe the story about Adelaide Cottage last summer was a distraction while plans for Frogmore Cottage were ongoing.
Some renovation may have been possible without permits and they did that, waiting until they absolutely had to to file with the planning commission.

If she's due in April (which so far seems to be the majority view) that gives them 5 months ...I'm not sure how renovations could of been going on there without someone noticing even without application. I mean reporters etc have been scrounging around for months trying to figure out 'where'.

LaRae

From the sound of it, planning was already filed mid-October. I can’t imagine the residents wouldn’t have already been given notice before then. I imagine they’ve already decided on the property for awhile before and have done sufficient planning before they filed the paperwork. They might not have explained why and that’s why nothing leaked until now. Of course, it also houses staff, so discretion isn’t surprising. And they won’t need a nanny until shortly before Meghan comes back from maternity leave, so Cotswolds can always be an option during the late spring/summer with short stays at Nott Cott for engagements.

A few months can actually be a long time in renovation progress if no one is living there and they can work on the whole place. The difficulty is always when it’s still being used and they can only work on section at a time like they do for BP. Four months is plenty of time. And if they need to pack in some workers to be on time, I’m sure there is the budget for that.

And I just read EA’s piece again, she talks about Frogmore Cottage currently being refurbished. Wonder if that’s how she got the scoop? The fact that work has begun on it.

It’s also interesting that she talks about Gloucesters moving out of their apartment next year. I did say very early on that being right next door to the Cambridges might actually be something to consider against Apartment 1. I don’t know that many adults that would like to live next to and work with their sibling. No matter how close they are. It just seemed it’s the only reasonable place if they were to base in London. But it seems they decided suburbia is the way to go. They’ll have plenty of company with Windsor Castle and other royals that live in Windsor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom