The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 05:08 PM
Courtier

So, was digging through some planning documents online and found out some interesting things.

1) I don't think this has been in the works for a long time. In April 2018, two applications were filed to make several interior and exterior changes to Frogmore Cottage that are directly at odds with the concept of a single family home. (The application was approved in July and the approval was good for three years.)

Quote:
Consent for various internal alterations, a single storey rear canopy and single storey rear extension to the studio to form 3 x three bedroom dwellings and 1 x one bedroom dwelling with associated parking and a new footpath.
2) There may be fewer tenants to rehome than might be expected. In the Planning Officer's Assessment attached to the April application, it says:

Quote:
Due to the ad hock [sic] layout the Royal Household have found it difficult to let out three of the five properties and this has meant they have fallen into disrepair.
3) The work in the October permit has not been approved yet -- I'd be surprised if it's started.

4) The work will be extensive, so I'm unconvinced it'll be done before the baby comes. If you read the April document, it gives an idea of the current state of the building, and thus an inking of the scope of the work to be completed:

Quote:
The cottages have had a large number of internal alterations which have removed original features including fireplaces, floorboards, doors and lath and plaster walls.
Later it says

Quote:
[T]he main Frogmore Cottage has undergone a large number of changes internally and externally, to the point where the original floor plan and footprint is almost completely unrecognisable. Fireplaces have been removed and a number of stud walls and extensions have been added.
5) Apparently, the property comes complete with a wee building that sounds like a gem in the rough, The Studio, which is described as being in a state of disrepair. (In the April plans, they were intending to build an extension that -- if I'm reading this correctly -- would have integrated the Studio into the main building somehow).

Quote:
However internally the studio has original features such as a fire place, red tiled flooring, original light switches and what appears to be pink marble on the northern wall. The ceiling is high and the roof structure is exposed.
Anyway, if anyone's interested, the documents for the April application are at
18/01216/LBC | Consent for various internal alterations, a single storey rear canopy and single storey rear extension to the studio to form 3 x three bedroom dwellings and 1 x one bedroom dwelling with associated parking and a new footpath. | 3 And 4

Old 11-24-2018, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Hide and seek in the family cemetery. Fun times!
As the children grow older, a walk through the cemetery with Daddy could be filled with being right there and seeing the names and learning the history of the family. This is also true of St. George's Chapel. The Sussex kids will be raised in the midst of an area steeped in centuries of British history.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Majesty

I don’t doubt it’s in disrepair because from the reports it will be a £ multimillion renovation
Old 11-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Courtier

Incidentally, the house more than twice as far from the Mausoleum and gravesites as Anmer Hall is from the parish church, St. Mary's, and its graveyard.

Harry and Meghan's kids will be ok on that score.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Majesty

Happy Days. Google Books has a number of preview pages of Royal Landscape: The Gardens and Parks of Windsor available. Author: Jane Roberts. p. 227, plate 229 has a photo of Frogmore Cottage. It was originally a Gardener's Cottage. IF this is the same building - but it looks to be so?
If so it is in the North West Part of the Garden. Just before Frogmore Dr ends at the N.

Alternately, SE of Frogmore there are Aviary Cottages (sets of 3 and 4) to be found on Google Maps. These are between Frogmore House and The Prince Consort's Home Farm.

Link to the Roberts Book on Google: https://books.google.com/books?id=GY...ogmore&f=false
Old 11-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I tried to identify Frogmore Cottage on Google Maps (satellite); can someone help out? Is it one of the slightly larger structure north west of Frogmore House at the end of Frogmore Drive (there are 2 somewhat larger houses) or is it the one right next to Frogmore House? Or even another structure?
The largish property in the top left hand corner, Somebody.

Old photo below says it's off Shaw Farm Rd. (Shaw Farm is on ordinance maps.)

The small whitish thing in front is the Indian Kiosk. Here's a photo of the Indiam Kiosk, with Frogmore Cottage behind it -

https://www.alamy.com/indian-kiosk-c...178100126.html

Used to be called "Double Garden Cottage". Reported as having a parapeet - can't see it in these photos though.

About four-fifths down in the article below, there is a description of the path that goes past it.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...zHERiybP0PU5UJ

#googleearth https://earth.app.goo.gl/HFvEKi

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11...3055917983.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11...3059651793.jpg

https://www.rct.uk/collection/210046...ottage-windsor
Old 11-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
So, was digging through some planning documents online and found out some interesting things.

1) I don't think this has been in the works for a long time. In April 2018, two applications were filed to make several interior and exterior changes to Frogmore Cottage that are directly at odds with the concept of a single family home. (The application was approved in July and the approval was good for three years.)

2) There may be fewer tenants to rehome than might be expected. In the Planning Officer's Assessment attached to the April application, it says:

3) The work in the October permit has not been approved yet -- I'd be surprised if it's started.

4) The work will be extensive, so I'm unconvinced it'll be done before the baby comes. If you read the April document, it gives an idea of the current state of the building, and thus an inking of the scope of the work to be completed:

Later it says

5) Apparently, the property comes complete with a wee building that sounds like a gem in the rough, The Studio, which is described as being in a state of disrepair. (In the April plans, they were intending to build an extension that -- if I'm reading this correctly -- would have integrated the Studio into the main building somehow).

18/01216/LBC | Consent for various internal alterations, a single storey rear canopy and single storey rear extension to the studio to form 3 x three bedroom dwellings and 1 x one bedroom dwelling with associated parking and a new footpath. | 3 And 4
Thanks for these interesting tidbits. So, it sounds having Harry and Meghan move into this cottage might actually be a great solution as few staff members were interested in living there (probably because of the conditions the building is in; or because it is relatively small for 5 families - compared to 1 family it will house in the future).

Based on these documents: would it be possible for Harry and Meghan to move in to a part of the house while they work on the remainder? The KP release clearly stated that they will be moving before the baby is due to be born...
Old 11-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Where will little baby go to school when the times comes
Old 11-24-2018, 05:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thanks for these interesting tidbits. So, it sounds having Harry and Meghan move into this cottage might actually be a great solution as few staff members were interested in living there (probably because of the conditions the building is in; or because it is relatively small for 5 families - compared to 1 family it will house in the future).

Based on these documents: would it be possible for Harry and Meghan to move in to a part of the house while they work on the remainder? The KP release clearly stated that they will be moving before the baby is due to be born...

I guess Apartment 1 & 2 are subject to the new application if they already have Planning Permission for the rest of the cottage
Old 11-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post

Perhaps St. George's Windsor like the Wessex children.

https://www.stgwindsor.org/
Old 11-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Most likely St George's where other family members (including the York princesses and the Wessex children) also attended.

Website of the school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
The largish property in the top left hand corner, Somebody.

Old photo below says it's off Shaw Farm Rd. (Shaw Farm is on ordinance maps.)
Is Shaw Farm the smaller building on the other side of the road? Looks like a nice property as well
Old 11-24-2018, 05:39 PM
Serene Highness

thanks for that digging hel. It does sound like extensive renovations will be needed. But when all is said and done, this will be a lovely place to raise a family.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

St Georges in Windsor for Primary - Eug and Louise attended there .James still does

(like everyone else has now said)

The Eton for boys and maybe St Mary's (like Louise) or Marlborough (like Eug) for girls
Old 11-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Later it says

hel, those are fascinating details, thanks for searching those out. It certainly does not sound as though there was any plan for the soon-to-be Sussexes to move in at the point the original permits were requested, but even more pertinent to the plan, it sounds as though there is a massive amount of work that will need to be done to get the house in a livable condition. I have been skeptical that a move in date before the baby is born is possible, and these details reinforce that for me.

It works out well that it seems there were only 2 apartments being let, so only two sets of residents to be relocated--also interesting information--unless they have already been relocated.

The Studio sounds wonderful--especially the pink marble!

And for those who are worrying about the proximity of the Cottage to the Mausoleum, you really need to look on Google maps--Frogmore Cottage is quite a significant distance away from the burial grounds, not only in terms of feet, yards and inches, but in terms of the topography. And, not everyone is freaked out by the idea of cemeteries, so if the Sussexes are not concerned, I don't think anyone else should be, either.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Thank you for the link. I read through it and it seems it cannot be seen from a public walkway: "Can the site be seen from a public road, public footpath, bridleway or other public land? No" so privacy might not be a problem.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Thank you for the link. I read through it and it seems it cannot be seen from a public walkway: "Can the site be seen from a public road, public footpath, bridleway or other public land? No" so privacy might not be a problem.
Frogmore is 'private' property but as others have shown, it can easily be seen by visitors of Frogmore Gardens.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Is Shaw Farm the smaller building on the other side of the road? Looks like a nice property as well
Yes, just south of the Frogmore area.

Shaw Farm Gate sounds like the easiest point of access to Frogmore Cottage.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/iwt4ep

#googleearth https://earth.app.goo.gl/VAfb2h
Old 11-24-2018, 07:21 PM
Royal Highness

Here's a lovely tourist video from June 2017 showing gorgeous scenes of Frogmore House and the surrounding grounds.

We can see wide angle views of the Frogmore House steps where Meghan and Harry sat for both their engagement and wedding photos. This is truly a lovely and romantic setting. I've always been in love with the history and romance of the English countryside. It was clearly a beautiful day. I'm not sure we see views of Frogmore cottage, but perhaps the tourists do pass by Frogmore cottage in this video. I love the small foot bridge and the peace and beauty of the surrounding grounds. Quite clearly security measures will need to be taken. Probably during the tourist season, M&H won't be in residence at Frogmore cottage.

Add to this romantic setting the historic provenance and traditions of the British monarchy generally and the Windsors in particular, and I mean we are talking about some fascinating family continuity right down to the present moment. It's all been refreshingly updated via the engaging and delightful love story of Meghan and Harry. There's so much historic signficance starting with the fact that Meghan and Harry share a 15th century ancestor, to the fact that Frogmore House was given by King George III to his beloved Queen Sophia Charlotte (whose mother's ancestry traces back to Portuguese-African roots), to the fact that May 19 had a tragic significance in British history related to a prior Henry, now redeemed by a modern, magical significance related to a charming Harry, which allows the date to be joyfully celebrated going forward.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Serene Highness

I had heard of Frogmore House but not Frogmore Cottage so I searched for articles about it in Findmypast. It has a very interesting royal history. No, Queen Mary did NOT live there, but past residents included Queen Victoria's controversial Munshi and the Grand Duchess Xenia. It was also the birthplace of Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence.

Here are some of the news items:

Morning Advertiser March 2, 1861
DEATH OF COLONEL SIR GEORGE COUPER – This gentleman expired at his residence, Frogmore Cottage, near Windsor, on Thursday evening last, after a protracted illness. Sir George Couper was first Equerry and also Comptroller to her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent. The intelligence of his death was immediately telegraphed to her Majesty and the Prince Consort at Osborne. Mr. George Couper, eldest son of the deceased baronet, who is now secretary to the Governor-General of the South-Western Provinces of India, will succeed to his father’s title.

NOTE: The Duchess of Kent was Queen Victoria’s mother.

The Globe January 9, 1864
ACCOUCHEMENT OF H.R.H. PRINCESS OF WALES
BIRTH OF A PRINCE
The country will gladly learn the subjoined announcement notifying that her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales gave birth to a Prince last evening at Frogmore, and that her Royal Highness has passed through the perils of maternity safely and well. It will be noticed by our account of the proceedings on the lake at Frogmore yesterday that the Princess of Wales was enabled to take part in the sports, and to witness the animated scene in which the Prince of Wales played so conspicuous part, and did not return to the royal residence at Frogmore till a late period of the afternoon. The joyful intelligence was received in town late last night by telegram, when information of the event was conveyed to all Ministers at present resident in the metropolis.
We have received the following telegram from Windsor: -
“The Princess of Wales was unexpectedly, but I am happy to say safely, delivered of a Prince about half-past eight o’clock this evening, at Frogmore Lodge. Dr. Browne was in attendance. Her Royal Highness and the infant Prince are doing well. Sir George Grey arrived by special train at eleven o’clock.”
The bulletin issued at Frogmore is as follows:-
“Frogmore, Friday Evening.
Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales was confined of a healthy Prince at two minutes before nine p.m. Her Royal Highness and infant Prince are doing perfectly well.
(Signed)
E. H. SIEVEKING, M.D.
H. BROWNE, M.D.”
The following bulletin has been issued this morning:-
“FROGMORE, Jan. 9,, 8:15 a.m.
Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales has passed a good night, and is doing perfectly well.
The infant Prince is likewise in perfect health.
ARTHUR FARRE, M.D.
E. H. SIEVEKING, M. D.”
This morning a double royal salute was fired in St. James’s Park in honor of the event. Guns were also fired at Woolwich and at the Tower.

NOTE: Birth of Prince Albert Victor, later Duke of Clarence & Avondale. At that time Frogmore Cottage was also referred to as Frogmore Lodge.

Coventry Evening Telegraph September 29, 1893
Frogmore Cottage, which is situated in the Royal grounds a short distance from Windsor Castle, is being prepared for the Munshi Abdul Karim, the Queen’s Indian secretary, and his wife. The house, although some of its rooms have been occasionally requisitioned, has been continuously used as a residence for some years.

Morning Post November 6, 1893
The Munshi Abdal Karim, the Queen’s Indian secretary, who has been visiting his native land, returned to England on Saturday in order to resume his duties upon the arrival of the Court from Scotland. The Munshi was accompanied by his wife and daughter, and on reaching Windsor in the evening they were conveyed in a royal carriage to Frogmore Cottage, where apartments have been provided for them.

Bristol Mercury November 8, 1893
Frogmore Cottage, wherein quarter have been found for the Queen’s Munshi, Abdul Karim, is close to Frogmore House, and has been on occasion occupied by many members of the Household, such as the lady who was formerly in attendance on the Duchess of Kent. It is a building of no pretensions, within a few minutes’ walk of the Victoria Tower, the south-east angle of the Castle which is in the personal occupation of her Majesty. It is about midway between the Castle and the chalet whereat her Majesty breakfasts during bright weather and transacts the morning’s business. The Queen’s Indian attendants reside within the Castle itself, and as the regular establishment objects to wait upon them, the duty of cleaning their rooms is discharge by an occasional charwoman, who comes in from the town by the day when the Court is in residence at Windsor. The Indians have their days “off,” when they may be seen walking about the town in gorgeous attire, which entirely kills by its loudness the more somber scarlet of the Guards.

The Globe March 21, 1901
A well-known figure at Court, in the shape of Queen Victoria’s munshi, Hafiz Abdul Karim, is going back to India with a pension. The charming Frogmore cottage which he and his wife have occupied for some years is, it appears, now needed for the accommodation of members of the suites.
NOTE: The Munshi returned to India after the of Queen Victoria in January 1901.

The Globe June 17, 1901
Maj.-Gen. Sir Arthur E. A. Ellis, K.C.V.O., lately Serjeant-at-Arms in the House of Lords, has been appointed Comptroller of Accounts in the Lord Chamberlain’s Department, in succession to Sir Spencer Ponsonby Fane. Sir Arthur will take up his residence next month at Frogmore Cottage, in the Royal demesne of Windsor Castle.

Windsor and Eton Express December 7, 1901
Frogmore House stands in the midst of thickly wooded shrubs and tall trees, and is a low building. Its greatest charm is that it is so completely shut off from espionage. From the position of the house it could in no case prove an attraction to curious prowlers in the Long Walk. Of course, lights were kept in the grounds for the guidance of the police, &c. Frogmore Cottage, originally occupied by Sir George Cowper, secretary to the Duchess of Kent, and later on by Colonel G. G. Gordon, equerry and comptroller to Princess Christian, and last of all by the wife and family of the late Queen’s Indian secretary, has most probably been mistaken by those not acquainted with the park for Frogmore House itself. The cottage faces the Long Walk, and is a long, fairly roomy, white building, capable of giving good accommodation to members of the King’s suite.

Berkshire Chronicle May 10, 1902
Frogmore Cottage is to be set aside as a nursery for the children of the Prince and Princess of Wales

NOTE: future King George V and Queen Mary

Coventry Herald August 19, 1904
It is rumoured at Windsor that Frogmore Cottage is to become an occasional residence of Prince and Princess Charles of Denmark, while some people about the Castle maintain that the King has offered the place to Prince and Princess Louis of Battenberg. Frogmore Cottage is a very comfortable house, and it is delightfully situated, forming a charming reserve residence during the last ten years of Queen Victoria’s reign. Frogmore Cottage was occupied by her late Majesty’s Munshi and his spouse, and her attendant. It has now fallen to the King by the removal of Sir Arthur Ellis to the Royal Lodge, Windsor Great Park, where he succeeds the late Lord Bridport.

NOTE: Prince and Princess Charles of Denmark = future King Haakon and Queen Maud of Norway
Prince and Princess Louis of Battenberg = Prince Philip’s grandparents

Faringdon Advertiser and Vale of the White Horse Gazette September 30, 1905
From Vanity Fair
The King does not intend to make a grant of Frogmore Cottage as a residence to anyone (as has been announced), but will reserve it as an annexe to the Castle, in which additional bachelor guests of his own, or the Prince of Wales, can be lodged when extra accommodation is required. The cottage is conveniently situated for the purpose, while the garden front looks over the demesne and lake of Frogmore House. It contains sixteen bedrooms, and an extensive range of reception-rooms. It is long, low rambling white building, two storeys high, seemingly built in different blocks, with roofs at the most various altitudes.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:42 PM
Serene Highness

Berks and Oxon Advertiser October 28, 1910
The King (says the World) intends to retain Frogmore House in his own hands for greater accommodation at Windsor. It will be used, when necessary, to provide room for guests when the Castle is full to overflowing. It will also serve as an occasional villeggiatura for Queen Mary and the Royal children when they wish to spend a quiet week or week-end in the country without the state of Windsor Castle. Eventually, Frogmore House will be handed over to Prince Edward when he sets up an establishment of his own. The King also intends to retain Frogmore Cottage in his own hands, as King Edward did, for a bachelor annexe to the Castle. It contains sixteen bedrooms, and will be used to put up male guests and members of suite.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph September 20, 1912
Gifts of Royal Residences
A good many rumours have been set going lately about Frogmore Cottage and its future, one being that it was to be given to Princess Mary. I hear, howevever, that the King has decided to bestow it upon the Duke and Duchess of Teck, who will entertain quietly there from time to time. Henry III’s Tower will continue to be in the occupation of Prince and Princess Alexander of Teck, so that the two brothers of the Queen will be close neighbours. White Lodge is not to be given to Prince Alexander, as it has been announced, but will occupied by its present tenant. Neither is the Duchess of Albany to give up Claremont for Prince Arthur of Connaught, for whom a residence will be provided when he returns from his mission in the Far East.

Bournemouth Graphic September 27, 1912
The King gave to the Duke and Duchess of Teck their choice between Frogmore and Frogmore Cottage. In all probability they will choose the latter residence as being more suited to their requirements and costing considerably less to maintain. Frogmore Cottage occupies a charming position in the heart of Windsor Forest and was occupied for some weeks this summer by Princess Mary and a small household. The Queen had intended that her daughter should continue to occupy this house whenever convenient, but if the Duke and Duchess of Teck decide to accept it, her Royal Highness will be provided for at Frogmore.

Isle of Wight Observer October 5, 1912
The Duke and Duchess of Teck have given up the place which they have rented for some time at Holkham, Norfolk, and they will spend the winter at Windsor, the King having lent them Frogmore Cottage for a few months. The Duke and Duchess of Teck have spent part of the summer at Windsor Castle, where they occupied Henry the Third’s Tower, the house which is lent to Prince and Princess Alexander of Teck, who are expected to return thither in the course of this month.

Pall Mall Gazette July 12, 1913
Prince John’s Birthday
Prince John, the King’s youngest son, who is eight, is spending a quiet birthday to-day at Frogmore Cottage, Windsor. The bells of St. George’s Chapel and of Windsor Parish Church rang out joyously.
Birthday presents and messages soon began to arrive, and among the first were those from the King and Queen and the Prince’s brother and sister.
Later in the day a salute of twenty-one guns were fired in Windsor Park.
Prince John is a regular English boy. He is to be seen out almost every morning in Long Walk on his favourite pony, and his interest in other children at play is very keen. He is still as fond as ever of Boy Scouts.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer March 14, 1924
The King has lent Frogmore Cottage, Windsor, to Lieutenant-Colonel Evelyn and Lady Helena Gibbs. Colonel Gibbs, who recently returned from a four-months trip to India with Lady Helena, has just rejoined his regiment, the Coldstream Guards, which is stationed at Windsor.
NOTE: Lady Helena Gibbs was Queen Mary’s niece.

Nottingham Evening Post September 11, 1925
FROGMORE COTTAGE
The King has lent Frogmore Cottage to his cousin, the Grand Duchess Zenia. The Grand Duchess, who is one of the sisters of the late Czar of Russia, was robbed of her jewels soon after her arrival in England.
Frogmore Cottage, which is close to Frogmore House, near Windsor Castle, is the private property of the King, through Queen Victoria, his grandmother. His Majesty is very thoughtful in lending this residence. Two previous tenants were Colonel and Lady Helena Gibbs, the latter of whom is Queen Mary’s niece.

Bognor Regis Observer September 30, 1936
Grand Duchess Xenia’s New Home
The King’s interest in the welfare of his father’s old friends is aptly expressed in the gift of a house at Hampton Court which he made to the Grand Duchess Xenia, sister of the late Czar of Russia, recently. For nearly 20 years she has lived in Frogmore Cottage, Windsor Great Park, which put at her disposal by King George when she escaped from the revolution in 1917, but the passing of the late King and the death of Princess Victoria, the King’s sister, have caused the cottage to become the centre of many sad memories for her. At King Edward’s suggestion, therefore, the Grand Duchess has moved from Frogmore Cottage and has gone to a new home which he placed at her disposal at Hampton Court. Here, in a new atmosphere, it is hoped the Grand Duchess, who is 62, will be able to forget the many sad bereavements she has suffered during the past few years.

Aberdeen Press and Journal July 7, 1937
COUNTRY HOME OF QUEEN MARY
FUTURE OF FROGMORE COTTAGE
Queen Mary intends, it is understood, to make Frogmore Cottage, Windsor, her country home, writes a “Daily Sketch” reporter.
This was foreshadowed some time ago when the Grand Duchess Xenia gave up the house to go to Hampton Court.
A change in the occupancy of this “grace and favour” residence was decided on by King Edward, who intimated to the Grand Duchess that he would require the house.
King George V gave the use of Frogmore Cottage to the Grand Duchess when she came as a refugee to this country after the revolution of 1918.
Residence at Frogmore will bring Queen Mary into close touch with the King and Queen during week-ends, when their Majesties are at Royal Lodge, which they have decided to retain as their week-end home.
Built on Georgian lines, Frogmore Cottage is about half a mile from Windsor Castle, and within three or four miles of Royal Lodge. Although not a large house it is comfortable and convenient, with easy access of the long walk.
I understand it will be thoroughly renovated before Queen Mary takes possession, which will not be before her return from holiday in Scotland.

Coventry Evening Telegraph July 7, 1937
There is no truth in the report that Queen Mary is to make Frogmore Cottage, Windsor, her country home.

Dundee Evening Telegraph March 29, 1938
Country Home for Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
Frogmore Cottage, just below the Castle at Windsor, and off the Long Walk, is likely to be the residence of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.
They have been seeking a country house, in addition to St. James’s Palace, and the King has offered them the use of Frogmore.
This was for many years the home of Grand Duchess Zenia when she was a Russian refugee. When the Duke of Windsor was King, the Grand Duchess moved over to Hampton Court, so that Queen Mary might have Frogmore. However, the place never appealed to Her Majesty. For one thing it was not big enough, and when the King invited his mother to continue at Sandringham, she abandoned the idea of living at Frogmore altogether.
It is one of the “grace and favour” residences in the gift of the King.

Closed Thread