Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Yes the area has fantastic history. But there us no evidence that the couple were drawn to the house for historical reasons. They have spoken of their personal, not historical, connection to the estate where they often walked.

We have no idea how much British history Meghan knows. I highly doubt they started with Charlotte and rumors, when she started learning the tree. Yes they are an interesting historical couple. But more for reading material then decisions on where to live.

And Gawin, you did suggest Meghan's preference at least may be based on race. So not sure why you are up in arms I suggested anyone made it about race.

Or perhaps I misread this

That's a very good point and one I hadn't thought of. Meghan may very well have a special affection for Frogmore due its association with Queen Charlotte and the stories of Charlotte's African ancestry.

The home and estate has wonderful history. And personal history for Harry and Meghan for the start of dating, and their wedding. It will soon have plenty of new history with the couple :flowers:

And Gawin, you did suggest Meghan's preference at least may be based on race. So not sure why you are up in arms I suggested anyone made it about race.

Or perhaps I misread this

I said she might be drawn to Frogmore due to its associations with Queen Charlotte and the stories regarding her possible African ancestry but I didn't say that could be a reason why Frogmore Cottage was chosen. It might be more of a bonus than a reason.

:previous: Yes the area has fantastic history. But there us no evidence that the couple were drawn to the house for historical reasons. They have spoken of their personal, not historical, connection to the estate where they often walked.

We have no idea how much British history Meghan knows. I highly doubt they started with Charlotte and rumors, when she started learning the tree. Yes they are an interesting historical couple. But more for reading material then decisions on where to live.

Or perhaps I misread this ...

The home and estate has wonderful history. And personal history for Harry and Meghan for the start of dating, and their wedding. It will soon have plenty of new history with the couple :flowers:

I agree with you that you may have misread the conversation, particularly since you characterize the mention of ancestral connections as somehow negative. Probably M&H are fully aware of the recent genealogical research that connects them ancestrally.

Reading carefully you will see where I said that I imagine and see significance in these romantic connections regarding Meghan's ethnic heritage and the history of Frogmore House and the love between King George & Queen Sophia Charlotte. QSC is said to have been a very popular queen among the British populace. Obviously, we don't know for certain that Harry and Meghan have noted these connections, but I wouldn't bet that they haven't either, since Harry is definitely aware that King George III was the last British King of America, where his wife hails from. ? We saw this referenced when M&H attended the special showing of Hamilton. And Meghan is astute, well-educated and reportedly said to be interested in learning as much as she can about British royal history. As I also mentioned, it's obvious that Harry is attuned to his wife's unique background and is always eager to acknowlege and to be inclusive of her background.

Indeed, I also pointed out the very personal history and love of Windsor that Harry surely has shared with Meghan. It's not negative to imagine that the Queen Sophia Charlotte connection to Frogmore House plays a small but not insignificant role in how much they are drawn to this locale. Of course they will make new memories together at Frogmore Cottage. That's all part of the romantic human history connection, as well as the fascination we have for the larger-than-life British royal family.

Indeed, as noted by Gawin, the connections I mentioned are likely simply a coincidental bonus. Harry grew up enjoying the Windsor countryside and he obviously wished to share that love with Meghan. They've clearly spent many happy moments there. And they have their historic wedding day to always remember as well. It's all very romantic. And there's nothing wrong with acknowledging the fact that KGIII was said to be very much in love with his wife and he gave her the property. Buckingham Palace was also purchased for QSC by KGIII, and for a time it was known as 'The Queen's House.'

Last edited:
I'd love to know who allowed the chopping up of Frogmore Cottage. It is, like Frogmore House and of course Winsor Castle itself, a listed building. Someone mentioned a while ago that M&H had hired an interior decorator whose work they hated yet I think that if the house is being worked on it must be restoration rather than contemporary decoration.

Earlier I read in that wonderful list provided by Gwain:
Faringdon Advertiser and Vale of the White Horse Gazette September 30, 1905
From Vanity Fair
The King does not intend to make a grant of Frogmore Cottage as a residence to anyone (as has been announced), but will reserve it as an annexe to the Castle, in which additional bachelor guests of his own, or the Prince of Wales, can be lodged when extra accommodation is required. The cottage is conveniently situated for the purpose, while the garden front looks over the demesne and lake of Frogmore House. It contains sixteen bedrooms and an extensive range of reception-rooms. It is long, low rambling white building, two storeys high, seemingly built in different blocks, with roofs at the most various altitudes.
It gives an idea of the size of the bedrooms and dressing rooms, not to mention reception rooms. I can't help but wonder who the dreaded barbarians were that shredded it as it and if it can be restored to some degree of grandeur.

As to the speed of restoration, Windsor Castle was restored faster than predicted and came in under budget after it was damaged by fire. The BRF are meticulous in restoration and I'll bet Charles is keeping an eye on things.
I don't remember such fuss when the Cambridges were given Anmer Hall ...
I don't see Frogmore cottage as a big deal, in fact it's much more in the tradition of the previous country retreats given by the Queen in the Family.
To overhype any move by/for/supposed against the Sussexes is a bit crazy ( i mean CNN really).
Oh yes, there was a lot of hype and agro. People were moaning about the termination of the tenants at Amner, the disruption that would be caused by major renovation and the inconvenience that would be caused by heightened security and, to cap it all, when the roof was repaired and retiled in the same type and colour as the original tiles the entire county went bats*** crazy about the abominable orange eyesore!

What I’m saying is that their official office remains at Kensington Palace. The media is using Harry and Meghan moving to their new family home as a base for their false stories about tension between the couples. Everyone knew the Sussex’s couldn’t turn their current small Cottage into a family home. They had to move eventually. There’s no more large apartments available at KP, so they got a larger house at Windsor. It’s just that simple.

Do you know that the stories are false or do you simply want to believe they are false?

I have no idea one way or the other but I have seen it reported in tabloid, gossip and even in some of the more reputable sources so maybe there is something - I always remember the people who were adamant that the stories about trouble in Charles and Diana's marriage were false and then what happens - those stories were confirmed. The earliest stories I heard were in 1981 and certainly by 1984 but most people preferred to believe that everything was fine until the Morton book in 1982.

I don't want to reopen that can of worms only to point out that reports can be appearing for a reason and sometimes they are actually true even when we want to believe otherwise.

Some people want William and Harry to be those two little boys playing at the piano forever but the reality is that they have grown into very different men with different interests and different futures. It would be normal for somethings to change - such as a splitting of their offices (which your earlier post said wasn't happening 'The rumors of tension and splitting are false.')

We have been hearing that their offices are splitting and it makes sense for them to do so ... it hasn't been denied by anyone.

They are splitting their homes so will see less of each other. They have very different futures ahead of them and Harry getting a country home, like Andrew and Edward, is evidence of the difference. William having the large country and city home is clear evidence that he is the more important brother.

Here's more information on the history surrounding Frogmore House and environs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogmore_House

And scroll down for twitter posts by Chris Ship regarding the announcement that Harry and Meghan are planning a move to Frogmore Cottage. Lots of informative tidbits about Frogmore grounds:
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Those who are interested might want to go to Youtube and check out the latest episode of Royal Rota with Chris Ship, and Robert Jobson is there as the royal reporter guest contributor to the latest episode (#5).

Last edited:
[...]
can't wait to hear more on H&M's restoration of the property, i bet a big reconstruction/refurbishment will be required, not least to make it more secure. as far as i have seen the house is right next to a public footpath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Berks and Oxon Advertiser October 28, 1910
The King (says the World) intends to retain Frogmore House in his own hands for greater accommodation at Windsor. It will be used, when necessary, to provide room for guests when the Castle is full to overflowing. It will also serve as an occasional villeggiatura for Queen Mary and the Royal children when they wish to spend a quiet week or week-end in the country without the state of Windsor Castle. Eventually, Frogmore House will be handed over to Prince Edward when he sets up an establishment of his own. The King also intends to retain Frogmore Cottage in his own hands, as King Edward did, for a bachelor annexe to the Castle. It contains sixteen bedrooms, and will be used to put up male guests and members of suite.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph September 20, 1912
Gifts of Royal Residences
A good many rumours have been set going lately about Frogmore Cottage and its future, one being that it was to be given to Princess Mary. I hear, howevever, that the King has decided to bestow it upon the Duke and Duchess of Teck, who will entertain quietly there from time to time. Henry III’s Tower will continue to be in the occupation of Prince and Princess Alexander of Teck, so that the two brothers of the Queen will be close neighbours. White Lodge is not to be given to Prince Alexander, as it has been announced, but will occupied by its present tenant. Neither is the Duchess of Albany to give up Claremont for Prince Arthur of Connaught, for whom a residence will be provided when he returns from his mission in the Far East.

Bournemouth Graphic September 27, 1912
The King gave to the Duke and Duchess of Teck their choice between Frogmore and Frogmore Cottage. In all probability they will choose the latter residence as being more suited to their requirements and costing considerably less to maintain. Frogmore Cottage occupies a charming position in the heart of Windsor Forest and was occupied for some weeks this summer by Princess Mary and a small household. The Queen had intended that her daughter should continue to occupy this house whenever convenient, but if the Duke and Duchess of Teck decide to accept it, her Royal Highness will be provided for at Frogmore.

Isle of Wight Observer October 5, 1912
The Duke and Duchess of Teck have given up the place which they have rented for some time at Holkham, Norfolk, and they will spend the winter at Windsor, the King having lent them Frogmore Cottage for a few months. The Duke and Duchess of Teck have spent part of the summer at Windsor Castle, where they occupied Henry the Third’s Tower, the house which is lent to Prince and Princess Alexander of Teck, who are expected to return thither in the course of this month.

Pall Mall Gazette July 12, 1913
Prince John’s Birthday
Prince John, the King’s youngest son, who is eight, is spending a quiet birthday to-day at Frogmore Cottage, Windsor. The bells of St. George’s Chapel and of Windsor Parish Church rang out joyously.
Birthday presents and messages soon began to arrive, and among the first were those from the King and Queen and the Prince’s brother and sister.
Later in the day a salute of twenty-one guns were fired in Windsor Park.
Prince John is a regular English boy. He is to be seen out almost every morning in Long Walk on his favourite pony, and his interest in other children at play is very keen. He is still as fond as ever of Boy Scouts.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer March 14, 1924
The King has lent Frogmore Cottage, Windsor, to Lieutenant-Colonel Evelyn and Lady Helena Gibbs. Colonel Gibbs, who recently returned from a four-months trip to India with Lady Helena, has just rejoined his regiment, the Coldstream Guards, which is stationed at Windsor.
NOTE: Lady Helena Gibbs was Queen Mary’s niece.

Nottingham Evening Post September 11, 1925
FROGMORE COTTAGE
The King has lent Frogmore Cottage to his cousin, the Grand Duchess Zenia. The Grand Duchess, who is one of the sisters of the late Czar of Russia, was robbed of her jewels soon after her arrival in England.
Frogmore Cottage, which is close to Frogmore House, near Windsor Castle, is the private property of the King, through Queen Victoria, his grandmother. His Majesty is very thoughtful in lending this residence. Two previous tenants were Colonel and Lady Helena Gibbs, the latter of whom is Queen Mary’s niece.

Bognor Regis Observer September 30, 1936
Grand Duchess Xenia’s New Home
The King’s interest in the welfare of his father’s old friends is aptly expressed in the gift of a house at Hampton Court which he made to the Grand Duchess Xenia, sister of the late Czar of Russia, recently. For nearly 20 years she has lived in Frogmore Cottage, Windsor Great Park, which put at her disposal by King George when she escaped from the revolution in 1917, but the passing of the late King and the death of Princess Victoria, the King’s sister, have caused the cottage to become the centre of many sad memories for her. At King Edward’s suggestion, therefore, the Grand Duchess has moved from Frogmore Cottage and has gone to a new home which he placed at her disposal at Hampton Court. Here, in a new atmosphere, it is hoped the Grand Duchess, who is 62, will be able to forget the many sad bereavements she has suffered during the past few years.

Aberdeen Press and Journal July 7, 1937
COUNTRY HOME OF QUEEN MARY
FUTURE OF FROGMORE COTTAGE
Queen Mary intends, it is understood, to make Frogmore Cottage, Windsor, her country home, writes a “Daily Sketch” reporter.
This was foreshadowed some time ago when the Grand Duchess Xenia gave up the house to go to Hampton Court.
A change in the occupancy of this “grace and favour” residence was decided on by King Edward, who intimated to the Grand Duchess that he would require the house.
King George V gave the use of Frogmore Cottage to the Grand Duchess when she came as a refugee to this country after the revolution of 1918.
Residence at Frogmore will bring Queen Mary into close touch with the King and Queen during week-ends, when their Majesties are at Royal Lodge, which they have decided to retain as their week-end home.
Built on Georgian lines, Frogmore Cottage is about half a mile from Windsor Castle, and within three or four miles of Royal Lodge. Although not a large house it is comfortable and convenient, with easy access of the long walk.
I understand it will be thoroughly renovated before Queen Mary takes possession, which will not be before her return from holiday in Scotland.

Coventry Evening Telegraph July 7, 1937
There is no truth in the report that Queen Mary is to make Frogmore Cottage, Windsor, her country home.

Dundee Evening Telegraph March 29, 1938
Country Home for Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
Frogmore Cottage, just below the Castle at Windsor, and off the Long Walk, is likely to be the residence of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.
They have been seeking a country house, in addition to St. James’s Palace, and the King has offered them the use of Frogmore.
This was for many years the home of Grand Duchess Zenia when she was a Russian refugee. When the Duke of Windsor was King, the Grand Duchess moved over to Hampton Court, so that Queen Mary might have Frogmore. However, the place never appealed to Her Majesty. For one thing it was not big enough, and when the King invited his mother to continue at Sandringham, she abandoned the idea of living at Frogmore altogether.
It is one of the “grace and favour” residences in the gift of the King.

wow, it would seem that the cottage has hosted a wide variety of people, from the munshi to the exiled russian grand ducal family, and the tecks... thanks for this info!

Let's stay on topic please and move away from speculation, rumour and gossip concerning the Cambridges and the Sussex's

For anyone interested in the history of grand English country houses, I am going to post the six-part BBC series in the Royal Library/Electronic Media section.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will live in a grade-listed beautiful, romantic cottage on a royal domain. Good for them and how utterly lucky they are! Perfect surroundings for a happy family life. What else can one say?

Kensington Palace becoming William's Castle

A little off topic but I think when the Gloucesters do decide to downsize, apartment 1 will be used by The Cambridges. It connects to 1a and gives them tons extra space when William is heir. Room for extra staff and the like.

Is it true that the current Duke of Glouchester grew up in Apt1A?
Emily Andrews made a clear note in one of her posts that the the Glouchester's would move to a smaller apartment in Kensinginton. I don't see why that would be necessary at all until they pass, except... it could be another 30 yrs!
If William had the opportunity to secure that space now, I'd think that he would. Apt 1 has been described as having "three bedroom suites" plus nurseries. While the nurseries can be remodelled into more bedroom suites, it doesn't sound huge. Apt 1A is often touted specifically as a "20 bedroom", not a 20 room, space. I'd love to get clarification on that if anyone knows more. 20 bedrooms doesn't seem to make sense from external views of the space.

Being a lover of privacy myself, it must be beyond annoying that the structure where he's living is also a such a public place.
Curious to know from any who live in or visit London whether/how the public/privacy barriers at Kensington have changed over the years.

In 10-25 years, the older generation residing there now will have passed away.
I complete concur that most likely this will open up room for accommodating staff and then children as they marry for a Prince William and Catherine/the family of the heir.

Do you know that the stories are false or do you simply want to believe they are false?

I have no idea one way or the other but I have seen it reported in tabloid, gossip and even in some of the more reputable sources so maybe there is something - I always remember the people who were adamant that the stories about trouble in Charles and Diana's marriage were false and then what happens - those stories were confirmed. The earliest stories I heard were in 1981 and certainly by 1984 but most people preferred to believe that everything was fine until the Morton book in 1982.

I don't want to reopen that can of worms only to point out that reports can be appearing for a reason and sometimes they are actually true even when we want to believe otherwise.

Some people want William and Harry to be those two little boys playing at the piano forever but the reality is that they have grown into very different men with different interests and different futures. It would be normal for somethings to change - such as a splitting of their offices (which your earlier post said wasn't happening 'The rumors of tension and splitting are false.')

We have been hearing that their offices are splitting and it makes sense for them to do so ... it hasn't been denied by anyone.

They are splitting their homes so will see less of each other. They have very different futures ahead of them and Harry getting a country home, like Andrew and Edward, is evidence of the difference. William having the large country and city home is clear evidence that he is the more important brother.

The Sussex’s just got a larger family home, because it’s what they needed. They couldn’t stay in the small bachelor cottage at Kensington Palace and raise a family there.

School for the children

This was interesting to hear and it's nice that the Sussexes are moving close to where they married. I don't understand the fuss about the move either, as Lumutqueen said I suspect Harry and Meghan want to be a twosome independently from the Cambridges :D
I wonder if this will mean that in the future Baby Sussex will end up attending St. George's in Windsor Castle where the York siblings, Lady Louise and Viscount Severn as well as Zenouska Mowatt all attended.

You make an excellent point.

Planning for schools would be quite an important factor in decision making.
It's rather important to any long term home base for the Sussex family-to-be.

Not only is St.George's school available, Eton is right there.
As an American (where kids don't go boarding away from home before 17 yrs old), Eton being so close may just a comfortable point of compromise - or, at least an option to consider.

Dman said:
The Sussex’s just got a larger family home, because it’s what they needed. They couldn’t stay in the small bachelor cottage at Kensington Palace and raise a family there.

Considering the housing market in London I am sure that many young families in London -if not most- would be thrilled to be able to raise their children in a house like Nottingham cottage. The place is 123 square meters while the size of a family home in the England & Wales is on average 96.8 square meter (in 2013), and must be substantially smaller in downtown London.

They are not the first young family that leaves the city to raise the children in a more quiet & larger house in the suburbs (& beyond).

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks for that average space comparison between Nott Cott and typical abodes for young families in England and Wales.

Is it true that the current Duke of Glouchester grew up in Apt1A?
Emily Andrews made a clear note in one of her posts that the the Glouchester's would move to a smaller apartment in Kensinginton. I don't see why that would be necessary at all until they pass, except... it could be another 30 yrs!
If William had the opportunity to secure that space now, I'd think that he would. Apt 1 has been described as having "three bedroom suites" plus nurseries. While the nurseries can be remodelled into more bedroom suites, it doesn't sound huge. Apt 1A is often touted specifically as a "20 bedroom", not a 20 room, space. I'd love to get clarification on that if anyone knows more. 20 bedrooms doesn't seem to make sense from external views of the space.

Being a lover of privacy myself, it must be beyond annoying that the structure where he's living is also a such a public place.
Curious to know from any who live in or visit London whether/how the public/privacy barriers at Kensington have changed over the years.

In 10-25 years, the older generation residing there now will have passed away.
I complete concur that most likely this will open up room for accommodating staff and then children as they marry for a Prince William and Catherine/the family of the heir.

There's a link and references earlier in this thread or in the Future Homes for Prince Harry thread regarding the fact that Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester grew up in Apt 1 (not 1A - that's where the Cambridges reside). Originally, Apt 1 and Apt 1A were one huge residence at KP, which was later divided into two residences, which is likely why the adjoining door exists. Apt 1A where the Cambridges live used to belong to Princess Margaret. The Cambridges briefly resided at Nott Cott before moving into Apt 1A. William and Harry grew up at KP and Highgrove. Later, after graduating from Eton, they lived at Clarence House with their father when they weren't at university, in the military, and traveling the world. There's an anecdote about William and Harry as teenagers having their own luxurious club-like space designed for them at Highgrove, where they entertained their friends.

Prince Richard's father, Prince Henry Duke of Gloucester, was the fourth son of King George V. The Gloucesters also used to live at their country estate, Barnwell Manor, which is now rented out to an architectural antiques company. You can google the Gloucesters and Kensington Palace for more information. There are also videos on Youtube about the residences at KP. Richard's mother, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester (she was a princess in her own right) used to live with her son and his family in Apt 1. There was a dashing older brother, William, who died in 1972, who would have inherited the dukedom had he lived. Princess Alice passed away in 2004 at nearly 103 years of age.

I believe Apt 1 has 20 rooms, and Apt 1A has 21 rooms (total rooms not bedrooms). I don't know about public/privacy barriers, but I'm sure there's information available. This is a bit off-topic for this thread.

Last edited:
Just looked it up: from Piccadilly Circus in London it's by tube, train and bus only a bit about an hour to get to Grove Way bus stop in Windsor and then it's about 1 km walk to Frogmore cottage. Not much but surely enough to keep a mass of fans away. Plus I'M sure there is security close to the house - does anyone know how they protected the gardens of Frogmore from walkers-by? Is there a fence and patrols around the whole estate already? As it was said HM loves to walk her dogs there.

Theres an article in The Times today about Frogmore Cottage. Nothing really shocking. But it does say although there’s plenty of room , it’s not 10 bedrooms.

Theres an article in The Times today about Frogmore Cottage. Nothing really shocking. But it does say although there’s plenty of room , it’s not 10 bedrooms.

And it claims that the taxpayer pays for the restorations via the Soverain's Grant. Fact is that the Souverain's Grant is only a part of the Crown Estate revenue, the part meant for the upkeep of palaces and other costs of the mnarchy. The rest of the revenue of the Crown Estate goes directly to the state, and thus to the taxpayers. The Crown Estate originally was owned by the king/queen, but was exchanged with Parliament for paying the costs of the monarchy by George III. , in fact the queen gifts the taxpayer with all the rest of the revenue of the Corwn Estate, she is in fact one of the biggest taxpayers who pays about 75% taxes on the Crown Estate.

As Frogmore Cottage belongs to the Crown Estate, normally the Estate should pick up the bill for the renovations to the basic structure of the house. It is known that Harry will pick up the rest of the bill.

:previous: Most likely the number of bedrooms has fluctuated over the years, as any room in the house could have been converted to and from a bedroom at different times. ? I saw a reference to there being 11 bedrooms in one of the earlier links in this thread.

Obviously, at this point, with the place cut up into apartments, it might be difficult to determine how many rooms were previously designated as bedrooms when the place was first built. Not that it really matters anyway. It might be more instructive to see a full layout or blueprint of the original dwelling, and to learn how many total rooms initially existed when the structure was built.

Just looked it up: from Piccadilly Circus in London it's by tube, train and bus only a bit about an hour to get to Grove Way bus stop in Windsor and then it's about 1 km walk to Frogmore cottage. Not much but surely enough to keep a mass of fans away. Plus I'M sure there is security close to the house - does anyone know how they protected the gardens of Frogmore from walkers-by? Is there a fence and patrols around the whole estate already? As it was said HM loves to walk her dogs there.

Apparently, Frogmore House tour visits are restricted to an extremely limited number of days per year (just a handful it seems), usually in the summer. And it seems to indicate on the website I linked earlier that tours are restricted to groups, not single individuals. I would imagine that going forward tours will continue to be carefully restricted, and that the Sussexes won't be in residence at Frogmore Cottage during those few days annually.

These days, most likely, security is ramped up more than ever before, with a security checkpoint where bag checks with scanners occur, or at least a manual pat down to go along with bag checks.

:previous: Thanks for that average space comparison between Nott Cott and typical abodes for young families in England and Wales.

There's a link and references earlier in this thread or in the Future Homes for Prince Harry thread regarding the fact that Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester grew up in Apt 1 (not 1A - that's where the Cambridges reside). Originally, Apt 1 and Apt 1A were one huge residence at KP, which was later divided into two residences, which is likely why the adjoining door exists. Apt 1A where the Cambridges live used to belong to Princess Margaret. The Cambridges briefly resided at Nott Cott before moving into Apt 1A. William and Harry grew up at KP and Highgrove. Later, after graduating from Eton, they lived at Clarence House with their father when they weren't at university, in the military, and traveling the world. There's an anecdote about William and Harry as teenagers having their own luxurious club-like space designed for them at Highgrove, where they entertained their friends.

Prince Richard's father, Prince Henry Duke of Gloucester, was the fourth son of King George V. The Gloucesters also used to live at their country estate, Barnwell Manor, which is now rented out to an architectural antiques company. You can google the Gloucesters and Kensington Palace for more information. There are also videos on Youtube about the residences at KP. Richard's mother, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester (she was a princess in her own right) used to live with her son and his family in Apt 1. There was a dashing older brother, William, who died in 1972, who would have inherited the dukedom had he lived. Princess Alice passed away in 2004 at nearly 103 years of age.

I believe Apt 1 has 20 rooms, and Apt 1A has 21 rooms (total rooms not bedrooms). I don't know about public/privacy barriers, but I'm sure there's information available. This is a bit off-topic for this thread.

But Prince Richard never grew up at Apt 1 ! The Gloucesters lived at York House, St James Palace!
Apt 1 was occupied by Princess LOuise, duchess of Argyll until her death in 1939. Then the apartment was divided when Princess Marina, duchess of Kent moved in in 1954/1955, the 1A being the home of Princess Margaret from 1962.
After the death of Marina in 1968, the Gloucesters moved in around 1970. Hardly a childhood home !

I don't think privacy will be an issue. The gardens are only open a few day a year for a handful of tours, a few hedges here, a fence there and the house can be pretty much obscured from view. That picture from the youtube clip makes it look very nice, grand but not overly so. Should make a lovely family home.

I don't think privacy will be an issue. The gardens are only open a few day a year for a handful of tours, a few hedges here, a fence there and the house can be pretty much obscured from view.

I agree, I don't see any security issues that are to tricky to handle.
Different countries and different contexts, but many European royals and both British and European nobles live in castles, palaces, houses and parks that are partly open to the public, some all year round, without any problems.

As far as the privacy and security go...it's a pretty open area and they are right on a road...unless they put up a big fence I don't see how they would have any privacy when going outside.

The paps and tourists just have to stand there and snap pics.

LaRae

IMO, Just like they did with Anmer Hall, they will do at Frogmore Cottage. There will no longer be a route that will include going past Frogmore Cottage. That is, any tours at Frogmore House will no longer involve being able to acess Frogmore Cottage. Probably new fencing and hedges will be installed as well.

I also think that extra security would apply to the people/tour groups who will have access to Frogmore House. Whether the house will open at the same times as before, we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I'm sure that Harry and Meghan both realize that Windsor is a huge tourist draw year round and also realize that the security forces in Windsor know what they're doing.

They've been able to conduct a quiet courtship in and around the Windsor Great Park area with no one being the wiser. I'm sure that measures to insure the privacy of Frogmore Cottage have been discussed and a plan of action has been drawn up to the specifications Harry and Meghan can be happy with.

I think primarily the reason why they've chosen Windsor and Frogmore Cottage is basically because they love the area, the cottage itself is appealing to the both of them as a home and that its location isn't that far remote from London and their office. Everything else including the history is a bonus as been stated before.

As far as the privacy and security go...it's a pretty open area and they are right on a road...unless they put up a big fence I don't see how they would have any privacy when going outside.

The paps and tourists just have to stand there and snap pics.

LaRae

But the road they're right next to is a private road that's part of the Windsor Home Park series of private roads. Looking at Google Street View, there are physical barriers to entry at all the entrances into the Windsor Home Park. The closest publically accessible pathway is the Long Walk, which is pedestrian only, but that's almost half a kilometer away and there's already some fairly significant screening fences, trees and shrubbery between the Long Walk and the Frogmore Estate.

The footpath that Patricia Treble posted a picture from is only open during those few days when Frogmore is open (which is why, I suspect, it's not considered a "public footpath" for the planning document purposes), and will be easy enough to close off (and possibly just remove altogether and sod over).

IMO, Just like they did with Anmer Hall, they will do at Frogmore Cottage. There will no longer be a route that will include going past Frogmore Cottage. That is, any tours at Frogmore House will no longer involve being able to acess Frogmore Cottage. Probably new fencing and hedges will be installed as well.

I also think tbat extra security would apply to the people/tour groups who will have access to Frogmore House. Whether the house will open at the same times as before, we will have to wait and ser.

Yes - and this means they should not be able to move in at the start of the year, my guess. A lot depends on if the cottage previously had been re-wired, plumbed, lead paint abated and had the asbestos removed. As the property has been in modern use, there is a chance of that.

Hopefully, Harry while chatting to the walkabout crowds will let something telling drop like "I hear we are lucky that the asbestos was removed by the previous users. William told me that was dicey in their flat." He's good for a telling leak, like that. :lol:

According to the website of the Royal Collection Trust, Frogmore is used for three charity days in June and open to group tours on most days in August for either a normal tour or a private guided evening tour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom