The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I suspect the existing tenants would have been rehoused sometime back. The KP announcement is quite clear that the couple intend to move in the new year, before the birth of their child. This would suggest that renovation work (both structural and redecorating) will be quite far advanced, and must be nearing completion.
Very sneaky of them to have accomplished all that without anyone noticing! I love that about the BRF: what you see on the surface is only a very small part of what is actually going on.

Any clue from the dates on the permits when work may actually have begun, I wonder?

Old 11-24-2018, 09:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
There's a structure to the right, near the footpath, surrounded by a hedge, but I can't tell if it's something like a greenhouse or something that could be used to house staff.
I saw that..wondered if it was a garage? Maybe they don't need one of those.

By the way...I'm not sure that construction has been going on for months there...with all the talk of housing I'd think someone would of noticed if construction had been already happening...and someone posted earlier in the thread application for renovation for the Cottage were just applied for in the past month.

LaRae

Old 11-24-2018, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I saw that..wondered if it was a garage? Maybe they don't need one of those.

By the way...I'm not sure that construction has been going on for months there...with all the talk of housing I'd think someone would of noticed if construction had been already happening...and someone posted earlier in the thread application for renovation for the Cottage were just applied for in the past month.

LaRae
They may have given the tenants the notice to pack up and leave about the same time as the permits were applied for or earlier, but even if the apartments have been vacated, the scope of work needed just seems like way too much to be accomplished in the 4-5 months before the baby is born. Even if you are willing and able to throw a huge amount of money at a project like this, renovation and redecorating take time and an enormous amount of coordination. If work has still not actually begun, I'm skeptical about a move in date before the baby is born.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
They may have given the tenants the notice to pack up and leave about the same time as the permits were applied for or earlier, but even if the apartments have been vacated, the scope of work needed just seems like way too much to be accomplished in the 4-5 months before the baby is born. Even if you are willing and able to throw a huge amount of money at a project like this, renovation and redecorating take time and an enormous amount of coordination. If work has still not actually begun, I'm skeptical about a move in date before the baby is born.

From page 1 (hel posting)

There are, in fact, currently two public records for planning permission for the renovation of Frogmore Cottage, both filed on October 26, 2018. Interestingly, a similar document is attached to both applications, which includes the following text:

The Local Planning Authority can confirm that the application contains sensitive information and therefore the public register is not accompanied by any forms, drawings or supporting documents. The application will be advertised in the usual way but there is no additional information that is publicly disclosable.

So..my guess is they won't be moving in prior to the birth of the baby unless they have a crew going over there 24/7 ....doesn't appear there was renovation prior to the application in October.

LaRae
Old 11-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

the announcement from KP said the Sussexes plan to move to Frogmore Cottage early next year, but in that case renovations would need to be partially done already to be finished in 3-4 months time.
Maybe the story about Adelaide Cottage last summer was a distraction while plans for Frogmore Cottage were ongoing.
Some renovation may have been possible without permits and they did that, waiting until they absolutely had to to file with the planning commission.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Y'know, I wouldn't be all that surprised if we were to find out that the decision for the Sussex family to have Frogmore Cottage as their primary residence has been in the works for quite a bit of time already but just not announced or even whispered about. Harry and Meghan and the Queen may have even decided on it before the wedding even and that's one reason we hear that Frogmore and Windsor have won Harry and Meghan's hearts.

I'm just speculating on this but again, it wouldn't surprise me. The BRF never, ever does things spur of the moment and they plan things well in advance. Especially if those living at Frogmore Cottage needed time to relocate somewhere else. Its also plays into the narrative I'm presenting why Harry and Meghan are renting in the Cotswolds as a country retreat now until Frogmore Cottage renovations are done.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:49 AM
Majesty

Living in Windsor fits the mould that already exists. Both Andrew and Edward have their official residences there with small apartments in London. Harry and Meghan are just continuing what’s been in place for years.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:02 AM
Nobility

Very happy about the Windsor move - as I previously outlined with Adelaide Cottage it has many great benefits and seems to fit the needs of both of them to a T.

I hope Frogmore will offer them the same loving, happy place for their growing family that Anmer offered for Will and Catherine in years past.

Moving a path away from the residence and putting up some walls and bushes for safety and privacy is not such a big deal. This is an ideal solution and one that has been heralded by many.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
the announcement from KP said the Sussexes plan to move to Frogmore Cottage early next year, but in that case renovations would need to be partially done already to be finished in 3-4 months time.
Maybe the story about Adelaide Cottage last summer was a distraction while plans for Frogmore Cottage were ongoing.
Some renovation may have been possible without permits and they did that, waiting until they absolutely had to to file with the planning commission.

If she's due in April (which so far seems to be the majority view) that gives them 5 months ...I'm not sure how renovations could of been going on there without someone noticing even without application. I mean reporters etc have been scrounging around for months trying to figure out 'where'.

LaRae
Old 11-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Looking at google maps last night, Frogmore Cottage is not much of a cottage, and much more a very large, sprawling house. If the 5 apartments have already been vacated, then I suppose it's possible that work has already begun, and a move in date for next year might be possible. But if the residents were given some time to gather their effects and move out (and right before Christmas, too, how's that for bad optics?) and work doesn't start until early next year, I'm not seeing an early move in date for the Sussexes. It is a big house, and to reconvert it to a single family dwelling from 5 apartments with five kitchens, entrances, etc. must be a massive job. And that's not even taking into account redecorating, that's just considering structural changes. This should be interesting.
From the sound of it, planning was already filed mid-October. I can’t imagine the residents wouldn’t have already been given notice before then. I imagine they’ve already decided on the property for awhile before and have done sufficient planning before they filed the paperwork. They might not have explained why and that’s why nothing leaked until now. Of course, it also houses staff, so discretion isn’t surprising. And they won’t need a nanny until shortly before Meghan comes back from maternity leave, so Cotswolds can always be an option during the late spring/summer with short stays at Nott Cott for engagements.

A few months can actually be a long time in renovation progress if no one is living there and they can work on the whole place. The difficulty is always when it’s still being used and they can only work on section at a time like they do for BP. Four months is plenty of time. And if they need to pack in some workers to be on time, I’m sure there is the budget for that.

And I just read EA’s piece again, she talks about Frogmore Cottage currently being refurbished. Wonder if that’s how she got the scoop? The fact that work has begun on it.

It’s also interesting that she talks about Gloucesters moving out of their apartment next year. I did say very early on that being right next door to the Cambridges might actually be something to consider against Apartment 1. I don’t know that many adults that would like to live next to and work with their sibling. No matter how close they are. It just seemed it’s the only reasonable place if they were to base in London. But it seems they decided suburbia is the way to go. They’ll have plenty of company with Windsor Castle and other royals that live in Windsor.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

They may not keep the Cotswolds place after they move...this is going to be the 'country home' from what it sounds like ...will be interesting to see.

LaRae
Old 11-24-2018, 10:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
[URL]
Very interesting article about the sentimental value Frogmore Gardens have for the Royal family - they really must love Meghan to make this her new backgarden.
Might Harry have anything to do with the decision, or is it just the star from across the podn, whom they met less than two years ago?
Old 11-24-2018, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
They may not keep the Cotswolds place after they move...this is going to be the 'country home' from what it sounds like ...will be interesting to see.

LaRae

And they can always keep a place in London for their evening events, much like Anne, Andrew and Wessexes do.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure that Indian Kiosk used to be in the Gardens of Buckingham Palace.. there is a picture of QEQM in a 'White Wardrobe' gown, and Parasol, taken just before the State visit to Paris in the late thirties..
I wonder when it was moved ?
Old 11-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Y'know, I wouldn't be all that surprised if we were to find out that the decision for the Sussex family to have Frogmore Cottage as their primary residence has been in the works for quite a bit of time already but just not announced or even whispered about. Harry and Meghan and the Queen may have even decided on it before the wedding even and that's one reason we hear that Frogmore and Windsor have won Harry and Meghan's hearts.

I'm just speculating on this but again, it wouldn't surprise me. The BRF never, ever does things spur of the moment and they plan things well in advance. Especially if those living at Frogmore Cottage needed time to relocate somewhere else. Its also plays into the narrative I'm presenting why Harry and Meghan are renting in the Cotswolds as a country retreat now until Frogmore Cottage renovations are done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Living in Windsor fits the mould that already exists. Both Andrew and Edward have their official residences there with small apartments in London. Harry and Meghan are just continuing what’s been in place for years.
This may also fit in with the earlier information that H&M intend to keep Nott Cott for some time. FC can be their main hone, Nott Cott their London bolt-hole.

Quote:

LaRae
I agree, once they have FC, they do not need to have a place in the Cotswolds.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

LaRae
I’m sure it also depends on how long they signed the lease for. It’s been reported as 2, 3, or 5 years. Although, if they already knew some place would becomes available as their permenant home, then it’s unlikely to have been 5 years. They’ll probably just keep it until the lease runs out.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I’m sure it also depends on how long they signed the lease for. It’s been reported as 2, 3, or 5 years. Although, if they already knew some place would becomes available as their permenant home, then it’s unlikely to have been 5 years. They’ll probably just keep it until the lease runs out.
The fact that they would soon end up with a proper home would not have been a surprise, so I guess they would have kept that in mind whilst signing the lease. Apart from the cost of the rental, securing the rented home is a major cost consideration as well.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:25 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Just a though, a home for Doria? Dora will need to live under the shield too because of crazies.

Seriously the cachet on the place has improved fabulously. Rents are doubled when they leave.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtns View Post
Just a though, a home for Doria? Dora will need to live under the shield too because of crazies.

Seriously the cachet on the place has improved fabulously. Rents are doubled when they leave.
Why would she stay anywhere else other than at the Sussex home when she’s in England? If we are talking about security, it’s pribably far safer in Sussexes’ home than if she’s on her own.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Might Harry have anything to do with the decision, or is it just the star from across the podn, whom they met less than two years ago?

Of course the queen loves Harry and won't ever mind meeting him when she is enjoying Frogmore Gardens in private like she is used to do. Something else is to share your private retreat with the new granddaughter-in-law who might every moment turn up on the same path, as she is known to love walking. So if there ever was concern about the question of Frogmore Cottage as their new home, it would be about Meghan, not Harry.

Closed Thread