The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 12:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Money was going to be spent regardless. Point is I feel a lot of faux outrage is happening about a property that was basically abandoned for a long time before the Sussexes decided to move in. Where was all this concern about it sitting empty (as documented it was) prior to them?

They will figure it out.
I agree with you. The Crown Estate is winning here because now the cost of renovating the property will be covered by the Sussexes (or Charles). It isn't costing the taxpayer anything so any fuss being made about it seems OTT to me.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Not just anyone can live in such a property for security reasons. It is one reason royals rent is not fair market value. Like the York girls paid at St James. There is limited rental potential. It’s not like any random family would rent.

How many people have vacation homes? How many people in the royal family alone have multiple homes? How much time does Charles spend at any of his homes? It’s not like the house is going to stand vacant and never be used by the couple. They plan to split their time with the UK.

And no a hotel doesn’t make sense. They plan to spend extended time there. And have a son. It’s far better and more comfortable for all to have a home to return to when in the UK.

The renovation cost is being paid back. And the house wasn’t inhabited anyways. No one was kicked out for them and no one is lacking housing due to them keeping it.
It isn't just about cost. Or indeed occupancy. It's about what feels right & what doesn't.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Her Majesty gives all the monies collect by the Crown Estates (tourist visits, gift shop etc) to the government. The government gives HM back 25% which is used for the upkeep of the Crown Estates. Frogmore Cottage, as part of the Crown Estates, what scheduled to be renovated and upgraded. The concern trolling of "taxpayers" livid about those costs (whipped by the press) was about nothing. So the Sussexes were paying HM back money they were always going to spend anyway?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It isn't just about cost. Or indeed occupancy. It's about what feels right & what doesn't.
When it comes to the Crown Estates, if they deem it feels right that things go this way and HM, The Queen feel its right and it is deemed that the Sussex family uses Frogmore Cottage as their UK home, that's what matters. They make the decisions.

What the public feels doesn't matter.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Her Majesty gives all the monies collect by the Crown Estates (tourist visits, gift shop etc) to the government. The government gives HM back 25% which is used for the upkeep of the Crown Estates. Frogmore Cottage, as part of the Crown Estates, what scheduled to be renovated and upgraded. The concern trolling of "taxpayers" livid about those costs (whipped by the press) was about nothing. So the Sussexes were paying HM back money they were always going to spend anyway?
Once again for me (& presumably others) it's more about what feels equitable. The nation provides for those who do a service for the crown. It certainly has nothing to do with trolls or the media!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When it comes to the Crown Estates, if they deem it feels right that things go this way and HM, The Queen feel its right and it is deemed that the Sussex family uses Frogmore Cottage as their UK home, that's what matters. They make the decisions.

What the public feels doesn't matter.
I do enjoy a good hearted discussion!

We certainly do have different perspectives on this. For my part it has nothing whatsoever to do with the individuals concerned.

I have no idea what The Queen feels about this but ,like yourself, can only speculate.

I am amused by the idea that public feelings don't matter. I'm sure that you don't really believe that.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

If l recall correctly they have said they intend 'to split' their time betwixt the UK and north America - it could be a 50/50 split, or it might be 99/1 split.. or anything in between.

There seems to be a consensus [even amongst her devotees] that the Lady doesn't like being in the UK, and so certainly won't want her Son educated here.

With that in mind, i'd be very surprised if Frogmore was occupied for even as much as one month in twelve !

So an hotel seems a perfectly reasonable proposition..
Old 02-14-2020, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Right now, I think we're all basically in a state of limbo as we have absolutely no concrete clues of how things are going to be other than we know this is a transition period.

It may very well be that they spend a good amount of time at Frogmore Cottage as it was stated (and I'm paraphrasing) that they want Archie to grow up knowing his heritage. They're not walking away from the family but rather the "Firm" side of the family.

[...]

We'll know so much more, I think, once things settle and they officially open their foundation and perhaps even have a calendar of upcoming events.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Right now, I think we're all basically in a state of limbo as we have absolutely no concrete clues of how things are going to be other than we know this is a transition period.

It may very well be that they spend a good amount of time at Frogmore Cottage as it was stated (and I'm paraphrasing) that they want Archie to grow up knowing his heritage. They're not walking away from the family but rather the "Firm" side of the family.

[...]

We'll know so much more, I think, once things settle and they officially open their foundation and perhaps even have a calendar of upcoming events.
How are they going to split their time? In a few years Archie will be going to school, is he going to be educated abroad or in the UK? How are they going to bring him home (except in the summer) if he is at school in Canada?
Old 02-14-2020, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
How are they going to split their time? In a few years Archie will be going to school, is he going to be educated abroad or in the UK? How are they going to bring him home (except in the summer) if he is at school in Canada?
Those are questions that cannot be answered at this time. Only time will tell.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

They don’t need a hotel when they have their home. It’s really that simple. Almost everyone in this family has more then one home. So yes I do feel it’s faux outrage because people want to be riled up for whatever reason. Frogmore really is of no concern to the public as it wasn’t before Sussexes took over. They even paying the money back.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
If he goes to school in Canada there is

-two months every summer
-nearly two weeks at Christmas
-week in spring for spring break
-week in fall for fall break

Also the odd long weekend like Easter they could come back as well. And that won’t be for another four years until he starts kindergarten. If he goes to preschool he could miss more.

Even if they choose to only come back for at least a week that’s four times a year he could be brought and not miss school. Three months of the year. No one said equally divided but that’s still a good chunk.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
-two months every summer
-nearly two weeks at Christmas
-week in spring for spring break
-week in fall for fall break
With a Mother who [evidently] dislikes being here ? It seems unlikely.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic please and discuss Frogmore Cottage, not debate how long each year Harry and Meghan will use it, followed by discussions that should be taking place in another thread.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:32 PM
Majesty

it surprised me that frogmore cottage (along with all of windsor estate) is right on the air path of the flights leaving / arriving in heathrow. i was surprised they chose frogmore cottage out of all residences given this. who knows, maybe the noise isn't too bad but i wonder how much of this they can hear from their residence in frogmore cottage.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:38 AM
Majesty

I don't believe that they had a choice. HM offered them Frogmore Cottage and while many other residences have been talked about, the only one actually spoken of by the BRF was Frogmore Cottage.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I don't believe that they had a choice. HM offered them Frogmore Cottage and while many other residences have been talked about, the only one actually spoken of by the BRF was Frogmore Cottage.
They were also offered Apartment 1. Harry and Meghan confirmed that on their website when they explained why they picked Frogmore instead. I personally think it was the original plan but then whatever happened happened.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

IIRC they said 1A was going to take something like 18 months to renovate and that didn't mesh with the timeline well. Then Frogmore was offered.

LaRae
Old 05-05-2020, 08:54 PM
Royal Highness

The LA House:Harry and Meghan’s American Home.

I think the Royal Couple’s plans are long term, and that at some stage it will become known where they have settled down.

I certainly have been following each house the media has been reporting they have been checking out.

What struck me though was that although no-one in the general public has ever seen inside Frogmore Cottage - their first real home together as they were involved in the renovation and decoration themselves ...

...the case now is that I and anyone on the planet, can see the interior of whichever house they choose.

Not from the photos in a media article, but from the real estate listings.

The current favourite being reported on by The Sun, Daily Mail etc is very easy to find on Google Earth, as present and past real estate listings have disclosed it’s address on Shadow Mountain Drive.

And while there are a lot of the same photos being used - interior photos also - there are so many sites promoting this house from when it was listed last year, even in “Variety”. There are many, many photos to pour over.

Do I think this house is more likely than Petra Manor or the Mel Gibson house that negotiations over price fell through on? Not particularly, though it did strike me as odd when the listing agent described it as “Fit for a King and Queen” and said the grounds were “ reminiscent” of a “royal estate”.

Why use those terms when your normal market is the entertainment industry, why not say “Fit or a Star”, “Fit for an A-Lister”. Did the Royal Couple inquire and there was some excitement about that? If it was me I’d want to drop some hints too!

Anyway, whether this house or some other, as I wrote above, I think it will become known at some point where they are living.

And even if they buy a property that is not publicly listed when they take it over, there may well be older real estate listings from prior owners selling.

This was never an issue with the interior of most Royal homes in the past. Remember the dearth of photos of Frogmore Cottage when that was first known. And, although we’ve seen some of the Queen’s, Cambridges, Prince of Wales interiors, we’ve never seen their bedrooms or bathrooms. No-one has seen inside Princess Beatrice or Eugenie’s homes.

As to this most recent property, I love how when you don’t have a garage to put your car in, and you have to park in front of your house, you get to call that a “motor court”.

And I’m not worried that the vinyl flooring will have to be removed in the screening room - some people think chemicals are omitted from such floors.

This is what we call a floating floor in Australia. (Floating because it just sits, locked slat into slat, on top of the actual floor.)

We know the couple put one of those down in Frogmore. (And if it’s been glued down, forget removing it.)

All the reported upon properties have had drawbacks of course, but all have been beautifully presented, so I’m sure wherever the Duke and Duchess finally put down roots for their American life, it will be a wonderful, wonderful house.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:21 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It seems that often the 'rumours' of a house that is bought by a celebrity is just a rumour that is started by the real estate agent when he/she has difficulties selling the property or wants to get the price up.

I can't count the times we had articles in the Dutch press about Justin Bieber, Madonna etc. buying a ghastly new & flashy apartment in Amsterdam. They never actually did buy one of course. But it will attract a certain type of client that the real estate agent is looking for: flashy types with lots of new money that they can spend easily. I imagine that a lot of the rumoured houses for the Sussex couple in reality will not even be known to the couple.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Indeed. By my count this is Harry and Meghan's 10th home. Lol

Closed Thread