The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The couple have applied for retrospective planning permission to alter the planned landscaping that had been approved previously.
19/01954/FULL | External landscaping works (part retrospective) | Frogmore Cottage Frogmore Windsor SL4 2JG

The DM has an article on it but I won't post it here because it takes us down the usual rabbit hole and off topic. But in summary its believed they will have an organic vegetable patch and a tennis court.
Almost everyone I know has an organic veggie patch & all of our TV gardening programmes have been featuring them for years so that's quite mainstream for the UK. A tennis court is of course only for those with the space & finances to create and maintain one but many large properties have one.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

My guess is, if this is true, it would be for the tennis court not the veggie patch.

LaRae

Old 07-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
why does one need a planning permission for a verggy patch?
I'm sure nobody needs permission to have an organic veggie patch unless it's replacing something that is a protected feature. I've previously owned a Grade II listed property & I didn't need planning permission to do anything to the garden itself but there was a stream, an orchard & some very old boundary walls that couldn't be altered without consent. The landscaping they're doing might involve walls or hedges or other features that require permission to move/change. If anyone here is a UK lawyer, I'm sure they could give you a more informed answer - mine is just based on my own experience.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I'm just checking these figures with you Rena - it's 12,066 sq ft? I don't disbelieve you but could you check your calculations?
Perhaps you can do it yourself It’s very simple and handy to know. I just came home and I have to eat something first, because right now I’m starving.

Find Frogmore Cottage in Google Maps and enlarge it. Place the cursor of your mouse on the 1 point and do right click with your mouse. Menu will open and choose measuring distances. Then place the cursor on the end point and do the left click with your mouse. The result will be displayed on the small, white pop up window below. Close this window and you can measure next distance.
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 07-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The DM has an article on it but I won't post it here because it takes us down the usual rabbit hole and off topic. But in summary its believed they will have an organic vegetable patch and a tennis court.
There is absolutely NO room for tennis court in their garden, no way!
BTW, there IS already a tennis court on the grounds of The Home Park
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tennis court Bez*tytułu.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	301802  
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
Old 07-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

From the look of the satellite image the tennis court is not far away at all from Harry and Meghan's home. If I lived on the windsor private estate all I would need to get around is a golf cart, as everything is so close and handy.
Thanks for Sat image Rena, very useful.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:20 PM
Majesty

A tennis court? As far as I know, Harry doesn't play and surely Meghan would use the court nearby. What happened to the two orangeries that the couple were proposing to have in their garden, according to the same publication!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:20 AM
Majesty

The retroactive planning permission made the front page of the DM

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/statu...582950918?s=20
Old 07-19-2019, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Is a retroactive planning application actually that much of a deal? People change their minds or forget to file them all the time when doing renovation work. They get filed all the time in the endless amount of episodes of Grand Design and Property Ladder that I've seen and can't be that unusual even in the "real world". I know you risk a fine or even having to undo the work you've done, but it's not as if DDoS are the first one to do it.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Is a retroactive planning application actually that much of a deal? People change their minds or forget to file them all the time when doing renovation work. They get filed all the time in the endless amount of episodes of Grand Design and Property Ladder that I've seen and can't be that unusual even in the "real world".

No it's not. This is nothing but an extra filling form and no big deal at all. Has been the case plenty of times in the past. Never really made it to the news. Certainly not to the front page....
__

I wonder where Meghan and Harry are planing to put this (imaginary) tennis court. I imagine levitating over the non-existent place for it?
Golly, with that kind of technology it will surely cost the taxpayers at least £107.89m.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:27 AM
Nobility

The optics are all wrong again with this gaffe prone couple forgetting about planning permission for their change of plan that ordinary people are required to request. The Times newspaper writes: “Their change of mind follows the disclosure that £2.4 million of taxpayers’ money was spent on the grade II listed property with a further bill still to come”
Old 07-19-2019, 01:40 AM
Majesty

Yes, that cost will be banged on about for ever, as if no other royals housing has never cost anything ever!
And surely it would be the responsibility of the Project Manager of Windsor estate to be filing any necessary paperwork?
Old 07-19-2019, 01:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
I wonder where Meghan and Harry are planing to put this (imaginary) tennis court. I imagine levitating over the non-existent place for it?
Well if they have floating floors they can have a floating tennis court
Old 07-19-2019, 02:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sounds like another made up story to me. Same as they Do Not have a Yoga studio as part of the recent reno.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
The optics are all wrong again with this gaffe prone couple forgetting about planning permission for their change of plan that ordinary people are required to request.
Is there any evidence that that they forgot? It's not unusual to alter landscaping plans as a project develops & some minor aspects might require retrospective planning permission. These alterations might not even be to do with changing decisions but rather unforeseen circumstances that only become apparent once the work has commenced. The change of plans might also be about access or security.

Also, they are doing what ordinary people are required to do and anyway it's not M & H who have to apply for planning permission, it's the Royal Household Property Section.

@ Rena - thanks for the guidance on measurements. I did try but don't have a mouse & couldn't get the menu. I've compared some map views of FC with average family homes at the same scale & I can see that FC is considerably larger.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
The Cottage once used to house a Russian Grand Duchess, her family and some servants - not too muhc, they were poor, but some surely worked and stayed there. So my guess is they have a nice house with at least one guest bedroom and a nursery for Archie/future kids with accommodation for a nanny/babysitter.

The grand duchess in question was Xenia Alexandrovna, who was Nicholas II's sister. She fled Russia with her mother, the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna (née Dagmar of Denmark), and lived in exile in England until her death. King George V, Xenia's first cousin, granted her the use of Frogmore Cottage as a grace and favor house. She had been granted Letters of Administration to her late brother's estate in England, but, nonetheless, her financial situation had become desesperate by the time she was allowed to move into the cottage.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Is there any evidence that that they forgot? It's not unusual to alter landscaping plans as a project develops & some minor aspects might require retrospective planning permission. These alterations might not even be to do with changing decisions but rather unforeseen circumstances that only become apparent once the work has commenced. The change of plans might also be about access or security.

Also, they are doing what ordinary people are required to do and anyway it's not M & H who have to apply for planning permission, it's the Royal Household Property Section.
Exactly, it’s not as if Harry or Meghan personally are filing permits. Even in everyday people’s lives it is generally the contractor, plumber or electrician who files the Permits, unless it is a DIY project.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:28 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
@ Rena - thanks for the guidance on measurements. I did try but don't have a mouse & couldn't get the menu.
@ Lilyflo, you can perform right click on your laptop trackpad too
My previous measurements and calculations were correct. Distances in brackets are in foot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	measure1.png
Views:	56
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	301807   Click image for larger version

Name:	measure2.png
Views:	53
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	301808   Click image for larger version

Name:	measure3.png
Views:	53
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	301809   Click image for larger version

Name:	measure4.png
Views:	56
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	301810  

Old 07-19-2019, 11:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
why does one need a planning permission for a verggy patch?
It is possible their garden is listed as well and seen as a small part of the protected Frogmore Gardens
Old 07-19-2019, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I work in a listed building and our property section have asked us to hold off on creating some raised beds for an allotment as they want to check if planning permission is needed. Apparently if it changes the appearance of the property from the road it can be subject to permission. Probably staying on the safe side but I imagine Frogmore Cottage being in such a historic area that if permission is ever going to be needed it may be there.

Closed Thread