The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:58 AM
Majesty

Complaints about noise on the Windsor estate from planes coming in to land at Heathrow

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-public.html

Old 05-30-2019, 12:57 AM
Majesty

Yes, it must be extremely noisy. However the Queen, Prince Philip, and several other royals that exercise in and enjoy Windsor Great Park must have come to terms with the racket over the decades. And probably practically every window in the Cottage and the Castle and buildings nearby would be soundproofed I would think.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

IIRC I read that they spent quite a bit of money to add noise barriers, triple glazed windows etc.

LaRae
Old 05-30-2019, 01:31 AM
Heir Apparent

It always boggled my mind on putting Heathrow so close to Windsor castle. Not only as a noise issue for the residents, but it’s actually a tourist attraction as well. I guess there is never a perfect spot for an airport. But as someone who visited since he was a child, I’m sure Harry was well aware of this issue and thinks it can be properly dealt with. And based on what’s been said since their engagement announcement, it seems that’s Meghan has spent a decent amount of time in Windsor as well and surely knew this when they decided on Frogmore.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:53 AM
Serene Highness

Well, I don't know how old Heathrow is, but looking at our own airport Schiphol here, so near the capitol. Nobody 100 years ago, could have imagined flight taking such a ..... flight. And what noise that would produce.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
It always boggled my mind on putting Heathrow so close to Windsor castle. Not only as a noise issue for the residents, but it’s actually a tourist attraction as well.
The answer lies in the history of HEathrow, and how, almost by surprise, it grew to become one of the world's busiest airports after the war.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:39 AM
Royal Highness

With the luxury renovations and soundproofing, the Sussex family and their guests surely don't hear nary an overhead plane inside their comfy bubble. It must be so relaxing and fun for Harry & Meghan living in their new home with their new baby.

I'm sure the kitchen is decked out with all the conveniences and well-stocked for Meghan to create her specialties. She's been a foodie since she was a pre-teen, and having previously dated a chef, and written about food with a bevy of guest chefs on her former blog, she's surely learned a lot of handy tips and developed an arsenal of recipes.

And from descriptions of the yoga studio addition, Meghan is surely getting in all the exercise and meditation she needs to stay fit and maintain her high energy levels, which she'll need with little Archie, joining dogs and hubby.

A slightly dated article from March, but with some interesting discussion surrounding possible interior decoration for Frogmore Cottage:
Inside Frogmore Cottage, Prince Harry and Meghan’s new Windsor home - Dianalegacy Latest Update News Images Videos of British Royal Family

A cash-in home products speculative article by House Beautiful
https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/de...gmore-cottage/

And this one written earlier, before the move to Frogmore was announced, is interesting and well-researched:
https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/de...terior-design/
Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry and Meghan are applying for permission to do exterior renovations.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...evamp-16229233
Old 05-31-2019, 12:09 AM
Royal Highness

Yep, I just saw that reported in another publication:

http://carmonreport.com/world-news/h...gmore-cottage/

"Harry and Meghan have been granted permission to redecorate the outside of Frogmore Cottage and re-landscape the gardens.

Windsor and Maidenhead Council have also said they can renovate the outbuilding and add several new windows and doors to their Grade II-listed Windsor home.

Royal sources claim they want to make the house perfect for family life after baby Archie was born earlier this month."

This article goes on to provide additional historic references to Frogmore Cottage, and it also discusses the early decoration of and former names of some of the rooms in the house. I wonder whether any historic touches were preserved in the recent renovation? Such room decorations described in the article, may have been already obliterated when the house was reconstructed for use as staff apartments.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

A nice glass and timber conservatory would be handy on cold windy days.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Majesty

“Sorry, haven’t been able to publish this until now due to 00.01 embargo - @RoyalFamily and @ClarenceHouse have published their annual financial reviews. Headline news is the £2.4 million cost (so far) of Harry and Meghan’s new home, Frogmore Cottage. Full story in the #DailyMail”

Via Rebecca English Twitter
Old 06-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Nobility

Victoria Murphy does a much better job of covering the Frogmore Cottage renovations, in her article, none of the false information about £3 million cost, no yoga studio, no in-law suite, etc previously falsely published by the Daily Mail.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...vereign-grant/
Old 06-24-2019, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeT View Post
Victoria Murphy does a much better job of covering the Frogmore Cottage renovations, in her article, none of the false information about £3 million cost, no yoga studio, no in-law suite, etc previously falsely published by the Daily Mail.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...vereign-grant/
I'm surprised, considering the age of the building and its condition, that there weren't more updates needed than the ones listed, and that the cost wasn't higher. It's a lot of money, true, but old buildings are expensive to upgrade, so it sounds to me as though it was a fairly thrifty job.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I'm surprised, considering the age of the building and its condition, that there weren't more updates needed than the ones listed, and that the cost wasn't higher. It's a lot of money, true, but old buildings are expensive to upgrade, so it sounds to me as though it was a fairly thrifty job.
It sounded like they were pretty lucky renovating Frogmore Cottage. You just never know what you might find when you open up the walls. I’ve heard nightmarish stories for building much young than this one. And they were able to finish pretty much on time.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 PM
Nobility

The renovation costs seem reasonable to me, especially for an older home that had a potential to need even more upgrades. It makes sense to get the structural problems corrected and improve the overall energy efficiency of the home.
Even if the Sussexes weren’t living at Frogmore Cottage, it would’ve needed to be updated at some time, so it seems to be good timing.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Majesty

I wish they would report the difference between what it took to make the pile sound/safe/preserved and the upgrades. Because that's the effective cost. Covering a historic floor with a floor above it is an act of preservation and is the kind of cost that should be excluded IMO. Likewise the roof, structure, windows, electric, plumbing. But people will ALWAYS complain about the cost of government.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Has anyone found (if its available) an actual breakdown on the Frogmore renovation costs?

It looks like at least 80% of the actual costs were on rebuilding the home. And by rebuilding it I am talking about knocking down the walls (since it was 5 separate homes) making it one big house, the replacing the joist, correction/rebuilding the foundation, etc. Even the so called luxury of the "floating" kitchen floor sounds normal for a such a renovation.

But I guess its the same thing when the Cambridges renovated Amner. A large portion of it is legitimate updates to bring a house up to code.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeT View Post
The renovation costs seem reasonable to me, especially for an older home that had a potential to need even more upgrades. It makes sense to get the structural problems corrected and improve the overall energy efficiency of the home.
Even if the Sussexes weren’t living at Frogmore Cottage, it would’ve needed to be updated at some time, so it seems to be good timing.
In fact, I have seen it reported that time-consuming and expensive upgrades are also needed to be conducted on Apt 1 at KP where the Gloucester family have lived for many years. I wonder whether M&H were ever considering moving into Apt 1 though, or whether that was just unfounded gossip?

Thanks for your observations.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:05 AM
Majesty

Since they were able to stay during the reroofing of Apt 1, I think they would have moved then if they were inclined to move at all.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:37 AM
Royal Highness

Again, I agree with Deet. Harry and Meghan have paid for the furnishing of their current residence. But they do not own Frogmore Cottage. It is owned by the Crown Estate.

The renovation work benefits the Sussexes, but the work is necessary and will ultimately benefit the Crown Estate as well as future generations of royals. The improvements also add value to Windsor Great Park.

The marriage of H&M has brought millions in tourism dollars to Great Britain, in addition to benefiting their charities, the Commonwealth, and lending increased interest in British life and culture. The continued projects and service the Sussexes will be spending their time on also benefit the royal firm and Great Britain. Taxpayers should be proud to do their share of supporting the monarchy. Or simply vote to end the monarchy. While it might dismay the Queen, such a decision will not adversely impact any of the royals. They are independently wealthy. And the good work being done by all of the royals (including the Sussexes) to support people and organizations, will simply continue unabated. But tourism and British prestige based on the country's culture, history, and traditions of monarchy, will suffer.

Lots of people seem to want to cash in on Sussex fever, while at the same time maligning the Sussexes themselves.

Closed Thread