The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 PM
Courtier

First and foremost, I was never impressed with the choice of Frogmore Cottage as their residence. Just the sight & site of the place, not impressive at all. And to subject a new born baby to all that airplanes noises!
And now it is not even ready to move-in. Poor Baby Sussex ready to make an entrance and no home. I never would've thought that having a home (which is such a basic need) would be such a problem for a member of the RF.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
First and foremost, I was never impressed with the choice of Frogmore Cottage as their residence. Just the sight & site of the place, not impressive at all. And to subject a new born baby to all that airplanes noises!
And now it is not even ready to move-in. Poor Baby Sussex ready to make an entrance and no home.
They have a perfectly acceptable home at KP, so I would hold back the concerns.

If they don't want to live at FC, I am sure H&M can surely buy a home that they consider suitable for them. Apparently both have considerable financial resources that will allow them to do so, if they want to be independent and do not want to rely on his family to support them.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
And now it is not even ready to move-in. Poor Baby Sussex ready to make an entrance and no home. I never would've thought that having a home (which is such a basic need) would be such a problem for a member of the RF.
Trust me. I moved residences when my first born was 3 days old. He doesn't remember it. It actually was a gift from my parents who purchased a home in the "burbs" for us. It is still the "old neighborhood".

If HM, The Queen can value where she calls home and the dogs still wag their tails there (remember its in the same neighborhood as FC) and Harry and Meghan opted for the place and it was their choice where they want to raise their family, who are we to decide otherwise? Where do you think they belong? Balmoral or Sandringham were probably options that they turned down. Perhaps taking over the Castle of Mey.. oh wait... that's no longer an option at all.

People move where they feel they want to be. They chose Frogmore Cottage as their home. Their decision.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:23 PM
Majesty

I think many forget that Nott Cott was never intended to be a permanent home for H & M and where they choose to live was ENTIRELY in HM's gift.

K P glasshouse never used to be as public and squashed. But the Queen Mother's genes mixed with Queen Victoria's descendents and now Prince Philip's, has lead to an incredibly long-lived generation or two all playing musical apartments courtesy of th BP repair and renovations.

All in all, the fact that Harry and Meghan are happy and willing to live at Windsor in FC is a happy situation for all..
Old 03-27-2019, 08:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't see any reason to think they aren't happy or it was forced on them.

Harry and Meghan have made a point of saying how close Windsor, and even more, Frogmore is to them. When they were dating, they used to take walks on the property. They had their engagement photos at Frogmore House. Its also close to things like Berkshire polo club where Harry often plays. Meghan attended the Senteble polo match there to support him. The polo grounds and things like a golf course speak volumes to people can enjoy being outdoors even at Windsor. The Wessexes and Yorks never had an issue with their kids.

If they hadn't wanted Windsor, another home could have been found. If not a crown property, perhaps a Cornwall property. But it wasn't.

Quote:
If they don't want to live at FC, I am sure H&M can surely buy a home that they consider suitable for them. Apparently both have considerable financial resources that will allow them to do so, if they want to be independent and do not want to rely on his family to support them.

Yes they have money but the cost of the kind of home they would need, including the security costs???? No, they couldn't just turn around and say we decide to move some where else.

Harry would be shooting himself in a foot to use his money. That's his income. The interest from his inheritance and investments is his income. Unlike William, he wont eventually have the Duchy of Cornwall and Lancaster to pay for him. Unless he wants to live off the charity of his dad and brother for the rest of his life (beyond the money for royal events), he cant so spending his inheritance on some big house.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
They have a perfectly acceptable home at KP, so I would hold back the concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Yes they have money but the cost of the kind of home they would need, including the security costs???? No, they couldn't just turn around and say we decide to move some where else.

Harry would be shooting himself in a foot to use his money. That's his income. The interest from his inheritance and investments is his income. Unlike William, he wont eventually have the Duchy of Cornwall and Lancaster to pay for him. Unless he wants to live off the charity of his dad and brother for the rest of his life (beyond the money for royal events), he cant so spending his inheritance on some big house.
I agree with Countessmeout on this, it would be foolhardy for Harry to spend his principal buying the kind of home he would need with security considerations.

I imagine of the options presented to them, this was Harry & Meghan's choice for their family home.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Personally, I think FC is a perfectly suitable home for H&M. However, if they were to purchase a home of their choosing from their own resources, they will obviously need to budget according to the money they have. The Security will be funded by the tax payer, as it currently is.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Personally, I think FC is a perfectly suitable home for H&M. However, if they were to purchase a home of their choosing from their own resources, they will obviously need to budget according to the money they have. The Security will be funded by the tax payer, as it currently is.
Although security is funded by the taxpayers, royal residences also need to have housing for the RPOs and a good security system installed. There was a story in a book about life at Highgrove where Charles and Diana were "getting busy" and Diana accidentally hit the panic button with her foot. They were interrupted by their security busting into the room.

I also don't see Harry and Meghan actually purchasing their own property. Its not really needed and to be honest, I think they do prefer Frogmore Cottage and will probably make that their home for years to come. If they didn't like FC, they wouldn't be moving there.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Personally I don't think this is a forever home for the Sussexes. I think at some point in the future we will see them shift houses.

LaRae
Old 03-29-2019, 07:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Personally I don't think this is a forever home for the Sussexes. I think at some point in the future we will see them shift houses.

LaRae
Where would you like to see them move?
Old 03-29-2019, 07:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have no idea to what location, perhaps another Royal property/home..I just don't think Frogmore is there forever home.

ETA: Sorry got distracted by kids: I don't think the property is going to be very ideal for children when it comes to the grounds.

LaRae
Old 03-29-2019, 09:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I have no idea to what location, perhaps another Royal property/home..I just don't think Frogmore is there forever home.

ETA: Sorry got distracted by kids: I don't think the property is going to be very ideal for children when it comes to the grounds.

LaRae
Why do you think the grounds are not ideal for kids?
Old 03-29-2019, 09:57 AM
Courtier

After all the talk here about how much airplane noise there is at Windsor I checked out how close Frogmore actually is to Heathrow.

You guys, it’s ten miles away. I’ve lived closer than that to a major airport and it’s really not bad at all. 99% of passenger jets are at a high enough altitude by the time you’re ten miles out that they can barely be heard. It’s only the really giant planes that are noisy at that distance, and even those aren’t that bad. Yes, Heathrow does have more jumbo jets of the kind that handle transoceanic flights than the average airport, but even a giant facility like it mostly handles the more “regular” sized ones. And surely a decent percentage of those jumbo jets will going a direction that doesn’t take them over Windsor.

I’m sure there is noise that didn’t used to be there, and it’s good to make sure the occasional giant overnight planes don’t wake them up, but it’s not going to be the cacophony of constant flight sound that some here have painted it to be.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
After all the talk here about how much airplane noise there is at Windsor I checked out how close Frogmore actually is to Heathrow.

You guys, itís ten miles away. Iíve lived closer than that to a major airport and itís really not bad at all. 99% of passenger jets are at a high enough altitude by the time youíre ten miles out that they can barely be heard. Itís only the really giant planes that are noisy at that distance, and even those arenít that bad. Yes, Heathrow does have more jumbo jets of the kind that handle transoceanic flights than the average airport, but even a giant facility like it mostly handles the more ďregularĒ sized ones. And surely a decent percentage of those jumbo jets will going a direction that doesnít take them over Windsor.

Iím sure there is noise that didnít used to be there, and itís good to make sure the occasional giant overnight planes donít wake them up, but itís not going to be the cacophony of constant flight sound that some here have painted it to be.
It actually depends on the place. I remember watching Sophie and Edward's wedding, and thinking that couldn't possibly have been a plane when they were saying their vows. Flash forward to my visit a few years ago in Windsor, and it's horrible, especially with old homes that are not insulated. Since then, my friends have actually added noise insulation in select parts of the home such as the bedrooms and the study, and it's much better.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:25 AM
Serene Highness

Nothing appears to go directly overhead of Frogmore but some of the flightpaths are close. The average heights around Windsor are approx 2.5 - 3k feet. If you want to see the planes going over & track their type, size, heights & flightpaths in real time, you can do it here. I'm a bit of a plane nerd so it's a favourite site for me.
https://www.flightradar24.com
Old 03-29-2019, 10:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post

You guys, itís ten miles away. Iíve lived closer than that to a major airport and itís really not bad at all. 99% of passenger jets are at a high enough altitude by the time youíre ten miles out that they can barely be heard. Itís only the really giant planes that are noisy at that distance, and even those arenít that bad. Yes, Heathrow does have more jumbo jets of the kind that handle transoceanic flights than the average airport, but even a giant facility like it mostly handles the more ďregularĒ sized ones. And surely a decent percentage of those jumbo jets will going a direction that doesnít take them over Windsor.

Iím sure there is noise that didnít used to be there, and itís good to make sure the occasional giant overnight planes donít wake them up, but itís not going to be the cacophony of constant flight sound that some here have painted it to be.

In the 1960ties the British government regulated the departure routes from Heathrow in western direction (which make for about 70% of the days) in a way that Windor was left out of the then new Noise Preferential Routes. Only those departures who take to a direct western flightpath fly over Windsor Great Park, but even those don't fly over the Windsor Home Park of which Frogmore is a part. The routes to the north and south change direction after take-off long before they reach Windsor. By the time any departing plane reaches the area closest to Windsor Home Park, they are normally already higher than 4000ft, so I guess the noise is not as bad as people presume.

Source: https://your.heathrow.com/tag/operations/
Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 AM
Nobility

Since many like to post "articles" from the dailymail and the like as gospel, here is the opinion of the main tenant about this issue in october 2017

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-s-garden.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-Question-Time
Old 03-29-2019, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

According to this (unreliable?) noise map of UK, Frogmore Park is very tranquil place Extrium > England Noise Map Viewer

This map indicates 65 decibels https://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-p...08_664x254.jpg

Interesting film
Watch 27 sek
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how ďthe woman will pollute the bloodlineĒ and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 03-29-2019, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well you certainly hear the planes, even over the music in the video.

LaRae
Old 03-29-2019, 01:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Two of the richest German families have their country estates right under the flight path of DŁsseldorf airport! Not all people have problems with air noise and it's not as if they move into a house directly at the runway of Heathrow. For me the far greater problem is living close to a motorway like we do - on some summer nights it's as if we were sitting directly at the motorway because the wind takes the noise towards our neighbor's house and this house directs the noise waves right onto our terrace. That's why we move soon into a village where lorries don't fit through the underpass of the railway, so can only come into the village if they have to be there, not drive-through noise and the main street is on the other sight of a hill...

Closed Thread