The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Courtier

without a tent over the house you can forget a wintertime renovation to be done on schedule, it is too cold and wet in English weather

Old 01-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Yeps. It occurred to me later after I'd posted why I probably didn't see any mention of the Crown Estate paying into the renovations that Andrew did for Royal Lodge. My thought is that Royal Lodge was already up to code and passed muster as a residence as the Queen Mum lived there until her death in 2002. Andrew took Royal Lodge over in 2004, I believe.

To be honest, I'd much rather see Harry and Meghan living within Windsor Home Park where the security is probably the best and keeping this historic cottage alive and well than buying a property of their own somewhere else. To me, it just adds to the personality of the monarchy and its people.
Correct Andrew didn't get help from the crown estate. But that was part of his lease agreement.

Edward and Sophie pay an annual fee for their lease. It's actually quite minimal, less then Bea and Eugenie paid for their attic apartment. But because they rent out some out of the outer buildings which pays majority of their lease.

Andrew doesn't pay an annual fee. It was agreed that he would pay the full renovations himself, and in return he doesn't pay a lease payment. He originally was meant to pay 1 million poiunds one time but that was waived as his renovations were higher then required. If he chooses to break the lease before 25 years he gets a portion of the money he put into the house back.

As for needing a country home.......I would think bagshot, royal lodge and now Frogmore are considered their country home. It's not like they are city pads. It's their place to escape into the quiet away from the city.

Harry and Meghan giving up the Cotswolds isn't giving up a country home. It's simply not having Two country homes. They leased the home when their only place was tiny two bedroom Knott with little privacy. The Cotswolds offered a get away. Now they will have Frogmore. If they want a more remote getaway, they have the Royal estates like balmoral to visit.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:03 AM
Majesty

It would have been a little cramped for an informal dinner with a couple of couples let alone having your MIL for a week.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:36 AM
Serene Highness

@Countessmeout
Brian Hoey wrote that Nottingham Cottage has 4 double bedrooms so it's not tiny (except by Royal standards of course)
Old 01-27-2019, 10:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
For all we know, Harry and Meghan may opt out of having household "help" in the weeks following the birth of their first child. I'm sure that eventually, they'll have some staff at Frogmore Cottage but Meghan does seem like the domestic "hands on" kind of person that loves to cook and most likely does her own dishes and cleaning.

Doria may be a godsend in the weeks following the birth but I don't expect Doria to give up her life for her grandchild. Nor do I think Harry and Meghan would expect her to. Most often for grandmothers being around after a birth of a grandchild, it is mostly to include the grandmother in welcoming the baby home and for moral support for a first time mother and not for what a grandmother can do domestically.
Besides a nanny/granny space at best, frogmore cottage neither has the capacity nor is large enough a home (in comparison to the ‘official residential homes’ allocated to other senior working royals by the queen) to house live-in-staff with their own quarters. Unless Harry & Meghan wish to forfeit all forms of privacy. I think the queen intended for things to be this way. There’s a reason other senior working royals that are based in Windsor with sprawling country homes that can home regular staff, office space/office staff still have homes based in London. Commuting to London from Windsor on an almost daily basis is not as viable as some make it sound. There’s the travelling security detail/logistics, distance & daily peak hours traffic to consider etc. I’m sure H&M will cope toiling on behalf of the queen/crown and rushing back home to their child(ren) and manage their own cleaning, ironing clothes, preparing family meals etc

Not sure if the other thread is appropriate so brought this over.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

The home is not tiny by any stretch despite the name. Yes in comparison to some of the more grand estates it is small but in the grand scheme it is a sizable home with plenty space for him and their children to grow.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

The Windsor estate already houses many staff - Frogmore cottage itself was staff a accommodation before it was designated for H&M. There will be plenty of housekeeping staff who can get there easily to clean etc. That is an advantage to choosing Frogmore Cottage over a country house of its own. They can probably afford to keep one room/suite for a nanny and the rest as family/guest rooms without having lots of staff bedrooms etc.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Meghan is not going to be cleaning Frogmore Cottage. Cooking some meals, yes more than likely.
I wouldn’t be so sure that it is not expected she and Harry clean the whole cottage themselves. Not that I’m suggesting there is anything really wrong with that, just that the living arrangements seems unfair in contrast to other senior ‘working’ royals.

Also the Frogmore estate is separate to the Windsor estate and serves mainly as a royal burial ground nowadays. I know I’m alone in my opinions on here but a remote cemetery is not the sort of happy place I would have thought to allocate a young newlywed royal couple about to start a family. Visiting yes, not staying put raising a young family. Plenty others share my views elsewhere as well.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/24/insid...queen-7751944/

Here’s a decent cottage, not overly grand for those concerned about the royal couple’s ‘taste’.... And certainly not ugly or blighted by rumours of being haunted. But eh I suppose it was not to be or ever intended in the first place.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 PM
Aristocracy

Close to Frogmore Cottage there is a smaller house. Perhaps they would be able to use it for staff and / or small office space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11Bez*tytułu.jpg
Views:	1904
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	301643  
Old 01-27-2019, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Reem View Post
I wouldn’t be so sure that it is not expected she and Harry clean the whole cottage themselves. Not that I’m suggesting there is anything really wrong with that, just that the living arrangements seems unfair in contrast to other senior ‘working’ royals.

Also the Frogmore estate is separate to the Windsor estate and serves mainly as a royal burial ground nowadays. I know I’m alone in my opinions on here but a remote cemetery is not the sort of happy place I would have thought to allocate a young newlywed royal couple about to start a family. Visiting yes, not staying put raising a young family. Plenty others share my views elsewhere as well.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/24/insid...queen-7751944/

Here’s a decent cottage, not overly grand for those concerned about the royal couple’s ‘taste’.... And certainly not ugly or blighted by rumours of being haunted. But eh I suppose it was not to be or ever intended in the first place.
I don’t agree on the burial ground issue. It’s not even that close. But I do agree that had they want a larger home, it’s certainly feasible and could be arranged one way or another. Which goes against the “high maintanance” narrative some tabloids try to push.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
@Countessmeout
Brian Hoey wrote that Nottingham Cottage has 4 double bedrooms so it's not tiny (except by Royal standards of course)
I have never read any where it has four bedrooms. On the contrary its usually described by royal reporters as 2 bedroom and one bathroom with 2 reception rooms. One royal reporter said 3 bedrooms, but considering they will need a live in nanny, that is still tiny. Its said to be about 1300 square feet.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I have never read any where it has four bedrooms. On the contrary its usually described by royal reporters as 2 bedroom and one bathroom with 2 reception rooms. One royal reporter said 3 bedrooms, but considering they will need a live in nanny, that is still tiny. Its said to be about 1300 square feet.
I don't know how accurate this is but Brian Hoey wrote it in 2014 in 'Working For The Royals'
"Meanwhile, Prince Harry has moved into their old property Nottingham Cottage, in the grounds of Kensington Palace, which is nothing like the bachelor pad one might have expected him to choose, being a traditional and highly desirable four double-bedroomed residence, which local estate agents have said could be rented out on the open market for £20,000 per week."
Old 01-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I don't know how accurate this is but Brian Hoey wrote it in 2014 in 'Working For The Royals'
"Meanwhile, Prince Harry has moved into their old property Nottingham Cottage, in the grounds of Kensington Palace, which is nothing like the bachelor pad one might have expected him to choose, being a traditional and highly desirable four double-bedroomed residence, which local estate agents have said could be rented out on the open market for £20,000 per week."
Where every other report varies from 2-3 bedrooms like:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=TcX...page&q&f=false

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-live-married/

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...res_article_tw

1300 square feet, no matter how divided, is small. Especially when you consider a live in nanny. It wouldn't be comfortable for anyone for long, with the couple, a newborn and a nanny living in such close courters, not to mention if family like Doria comes to visit.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
Close to Frogmore Cottage there is a smaller house. Perhaps they would be able to use it for staff and / or small office space.
I won’t touch upon the chimney aspect but there have been different aerial shots posted before and a different one was even featured in a magazine. There was also another image posted on here a while ago which some claimed to be a clear front view of the building but to me bore no likeness in structure to what I’ve seen so far of frogmore cottage that is featured almost everywhere. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that this particular aerial view is an accurate one of frogmore cottage either. I’m afraid we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Reem View Post
I won’t touch upon the chimney aspect but there’s been different aerial shots posted before and a different one was even featured in a magazine. There was also another image posted on here a while ago which some claimed to be a clear front view of the building but to me bore no likeness in structure to what I’ve seen so far of frogmore cottage that is featured almost everywhere. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that this particular aerial view is an accurate one of frogmore cottage either. I’m afraid we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.
Rena is not claiming that the circled house is Frogmore Cottage. This is a smaller structure close to Frogmore Cottagd. Frogmore Cottage itself can be seen in the bottom part.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Rena is not claiming that the circled house is Frogmore Cottage. This is a smaller structure close to Frogmore Cottagd. Frogmore Cottage itself can be seen in the bottom part.
Apologies, I should have been more specific and made it clear I was referring to the large pile which is not that far off from the circled image/smaller structure.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:48 PM
Serene Highness

@Countessmeout

I don't know where Brian Hoey got his notion of 4 bedrooms. It sounds like he's wrong if nobody else agrees with him. He also wrote it a few years earlier in another book where he says in addition to the 4 bedrooms it has 3 bathrooms. Perhaps he was misinformed.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Did you / Brian mean £2,000 a week? I don't live far from KP, and I can assure you that there are not many £20,000 / week cottages around.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Did you / Brian mean £2,000 a week? I don't live far from KP, and I can assure you that there are not many £20,000 / week cottages around.
He definitely wrote £20,000 per week & in an earlier book it was £10,000 per week. He said estate agents had valued it & the high price was to do with the position within KP & the royal provenance.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
He definitely wrote £20,000 per week & in an earlier book it was £10,000 per week. He said estate agents had valued it & the high price was to do with the position within KP & the royal provenance.
Now that is credible!

Closed Thread