The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
Makes sense, especially with the address being known and perhaps the progress on Frogmore Cottage is going along faster than is reported.
Doubt it. I still have my doubts if it’ll be done by April. They just put up that tent on Frogmore.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

From the sound of all being done...I am thinking it might be early summer before it's ready.

LaRae

Old 01-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Nobility

I think Emily Andrews crossed the line by invading Harry and Meghan's privacy. Two weeks ago, she published an info about their home. So yeah, I think they are moving out due to the security issues.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Doubt it. I still have my doubts if it’ll be done by April. They just put up that tent on Frogmore.
Why they put up a massive tent on Frogmore Cottage?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The most likely factor is to protect open areas of renovations and the materials to be used from the elements.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
Why they put up a massive tent on Frogmore Cottage?
Protect the structure and probably also to prevent pics being taken using drones etc.

LaRae
Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 PM
Royal Highness

That is exactly what was said by Omid Scobie on his On Heir podcast yesterday. The tent protects the property from drones taking photos. There is also massive security around the area.

In addition, Emily Andrew's stated on the same podcast that renovations are moving at a cracking pace on Frogmore Cottage. She also indicated that all plans pertaining to renovations of Frogmore Cottage have been removed from the local planning website. Don't know how true that is.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
So it is being reported that Harry and Meghan have cancelled the lease on their Cotswolds home early and are moving out in March.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ole-weeks.html
Makes complete sense.

> Once they move into Frogmore Cottage, they will not need the place in the Cotswolds. FC will fulfil the role of principal residence and country home.

> If they wanted a country home in the longer term, they would buy one or get one on the existing royal estates, rather than renting.

> This pattern is also consistent with Anne, Andrew and Edward where they have a large home outside London, and a pied-a-terre in London. None of them have country homes in addition to their principal homes.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

> This pattern is also consistent with Anne, Andrew and Edward where they have a large home outside London, and a pied-a-terre in London. None of them have country homes in addition to their principal homes.
Also, within the group of people you've mentioned, Anne is the only one that actually owns the property that is her main residence. The rest are housed either on the Sandringham or Balmoral estate (Amner Hall and Birkhall) or are properties of the Crown Estate.

This makes me realize that whatever renovations and repairs that are done to the properties (outside of Anne's which is never made public) are done with an eye to the future so that perhaps when George's children marry and start having kids, they will have the opportunity to reside in these properties like their ancestors did.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Also, within the group of people you've mentioned, Anne is the only one that actually owns the property that is her main residence. The rest are housed either on the Sandringham or Balmoral estate (Amner Hall and Birkhall) or are properties of the Crown Estate.
Andrew and Edward's properties may be owned by the Crown Estate, but they are long leases that were paid for in arms length transactions by the Queen.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

This is true and its quite possible that the same will be done for Harry and Meghan with Frogmore Cottage. A *very* long lease.

Andrew has started with a 75 year lease on Royal Lodge and if I'm not mistaken, that lease can extend to his daughters after his death too. Edward's lease is for 50 years. Both Andrew and Edward paid into renovations to their residences with their own private monies along with Crown Estate funding part of it (at least at Bagshot).

It makes good business sense to me.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Both Andrew and Edward paid into renovations to their residences with their own private monies along with Crown Estate funding part of it (at least at Bagshot).
To the extent renovations were funded by either the lessor or the lessee, adjustments were made to the amount of the annual lease rentals or the amounts paid upfront.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yeps. It occurred to me later after I'd posted why I probably didn't see any mention of the Crown Estate paying into the renovations that Andrew did for Royal Lodge. My thought is that Royal Lodge was already up to code and passed muster as a residence as the Queen Mum lived there until her death in 2002. Andrew took Royal Lodge over in 2004, I believe.

To be honest, I'd much rather see Harry and Meghan living within Windsor Home Park where the security is probably the best and keeping this historic cottage alive and well than buying a property of their own somewhere else. To me, it just adds to the personality of the monarchy and its people.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:38 AM
Majesty

I have to admit the "early" move is no surprise. Media interest in their bolthole maxed out with photographs and the physical address right down to the postcode. With that their privacy was no longer guaranteed, neither is their safety.

As an aside, the fact that they have been all but living there full time except when they have engagements gives the lie to the notion that the move to Frogmore House was a result of a falling out between the Fab Four and has caused upset because they haven't been at KP full time for a long time.

The idea that they are moving before the due date is just common sense to me if they are responsible for the interior decoration of the house. Being on site or close to it is essential as IMO you cannot supervise the interior decoration of your forever home long distance. I am sure there will be ideas that won't work or ideas that are a result of being there.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Makes complete sense.

> Once they move into Frogmore Cottage, they will not need the place in the Cotswolds. FC will fulfil the role of principal residence and country home.

> If they wanted a country home in the longer term, they would buy one or get one on the existing royal estates, rather than renting.

While I usually completely agree with you, I have doubts about your last point. I started wondering lately if Meghan and Harry won't go somewhere in the middle of that trend. Yes, they did get a large-ish home outside of London (and it's true, it's close enough for daily commute to London if needed), but Frogmore Cottage is not coming even close in size to Bagshot/Royal Lodge. So I wouldn't be that surprised if in the future they got another property, be it in London or deep in the country (Cotswolds? Norfolk?), with London being my guess in that situation.

It could just be another way to go - instead of a huge country home and something really small in London, getting something big, but not massive, in both places.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Y'know, that thought you bring up, Fem, never occurred to me. For some reason or the other, I just don't picture either Harry or Meghan as being the type of people that would want a huge, palatial home or something overly grand. To me, they seem the type of people that could be happy at Frogmore Cottage as a lifetime leaser feeling its big enough and cozy enough to raise a family in.

That's just me though. I don't know Harry and Meghan or what they think or feel. Its just how they come across to me.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I don’t believe they can’t afford the upkeep. More likely, now they are starting a family and have Frogmore to oversee they probably won’t have all that much time to visit. Also I wonder if they feel it is no longer auitabke for their needs now they have a baby due and now its been splashed all over the papers- I suspect part of the attraction to rent somehwere rather than buy was it was more likely they could keep a rented place “secret” thus a proper hideaway rather like William and Kates house on Anglesey. Now that is over with it being public where it is combined with the baby due and Frogmore to enjoy why keep paying rent for it.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Y'know, that thought you bring up, Fem, never occurred to me. For some reason or the other, I just don't picture either Harry or Meghan as being the type of people that would want a huge, palatial home or something overly grand. To me, they seem the type of people that could be happy at Frogmore Cottage as a lifetime leaser feeling its big enough and cozy enough to raise a family in.

That's just me though. I don't know Harry and Meghan or what they think or feel. Its just how they come across to me.
You do bring up a good point and I have to say I feel the same way. I can't imagine Harry and Meghan going for something as big and grand as Bagshot Park (nothing wrong with choosing that, though, it is a gorgeous property) and their choice of Frogmore Cottage do seem to fit their personality and easy going mentality.

What I wanted to say is that the "huge country mansion, small London apartment" is not the only way to go. I know it's the standard set by HM's children, but things can change. And technically things already changed.

Harry and Meghan can have Frogmore Cottage and a bigger apartment at KP (let's say 4-5 bedrooms) and I think, looking at Bagshot Park, Royal Lodge and Gatcombe Park, that would be comparable to the huge mansion and really small London place.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
What I wanted to say is that the "huge country mansion, small London apartment" is not the only way to go. I know it's the standard set by HM's children, but things can change. And technically things already changed.

Harry and Meghan can have Frogmore Cottage and a bigger apartment at KP (let's say 4-5 bedrooms) and I think, looking at Bagshot Park, Royal Lodge and Gatcombe Park, that would be comparable to the huge mansion and really small London place.
You are right, it may well be that, in time, they end up with a larger apartment at KP than they currently have, in addition to FC.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
You do bring up a good point and I have to say I feel the same way. I can't imagine Harry and Meghan going for something as big and grand as Bagshot Park (nothing wrong with choosing that, though, it is a gorgeous property) and their choice of Frogmore Cottage do seem to fit their personality and easy going mentality.

Brilliant post! And this may very well happen in reality!

Closed Thread