Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Sorry, haven’t been able to publish this until now due to 00.01 embargo - @RoyalFamily and @ClarenceHouse have published their annual financial reviews. Headline news is the £2.4 million cost (so far) of Harry and Meghan’s new home, Frogmore Cottage. Full story in the #DailyMail”

Via Rebecca English Twitter

Victoria Murphy does a much better job of covering the Frogmore Cottage renovations, in her article, none of the false information about £3 million cost, no yoga studio, no in-law suite, etc previously falsely published by the Daily Mail.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...renovation-cost-royal-family-sovereign-grant/

I'm surprised, considering the age of the building and its condition, that there weren't more updates needed than the ones listed, and that the cost wasn't higher. It's a lot of money, true, but old buildings are expensive to upgrade, so it sounds to me as though it was a fairly thrifty job.

I'm surprised, considering the age of the building and its condition, that there weren't more updates needed than the ones listed, and that the cost wasn't higher. It's a lot of money, true, but old buildings are expensive to upgrade, so it sounds to me as though it was a fairly thrifty job.

It sounded like they were pretty lucky renovating Frogmore Cottage. You just never know what you might find when you open up the walls. I’ve heard nightmarish stories for building much young than this one. And they were able to finish pretty much on time.

The renovation costs seem reasonable to me, especially for an older home that had a potential to need even more upgrades. It makes sense to get the structural problems corrected and improve the overall energy efficiency of the home.
Even if the Sussexes weren’t living at Frogmore Cottage, it would’ve needed to be updated at some time, so it seems to be good timing.

:previous: I wish they would report the difference between what it took to make the pile sound/safe/preserved and the upgrades. Because that's the effective cost. Covering a historic floor with a floor above it is an act of preservation and is the kind of cost that should be excluded IMO. Likewise the roof, structure, windows, electric, plumbing. But people will ALWAYS complain about the cost of government.

Has anyone found (if its available) an actual breakdown on the Frogmore renovation costs?

It looks like at least 80% of the actual costs were on rebuilding the home. And by rebuilding it I am talking about knocking down the walls (since it was 5 separate homes) making it one big house, the replacing the joist, correction/rebuilding the foundation, etc. Even the so called luxury of the "floating" kitchen floor sounds normal for a such a renovation.

But I guess its the same thing when the Cambridges renovated Amner. A large portion of it is legitimate updates to bring a house up to code.

The renovation costs seem reasonable to me, especially for an older home that had a potential to need even more upgrades. It makes sense to get the structural problems corrected and improve the overall energy efficiency of the home.
Even if the Sussexes weren’t living at Frogmore Cottage, it would’ve needed to be updated at some time, so it seems to be good timing.

In fact, I have seen it reported that time-consuming and expensive upgrades are also needed to be conducted on Apt 1 at KP where the Gloucester family have lived for many years. I wonder whether M&H were ever considering moving into Apt 1 though, or whether that was just unfounded gossip?

Thanks for your observations.

Since they were able to stay during the reroofing of Apt 1, I think they would have moved then if they were inclined to move at all.

Again, I agree with Deet. Harry and Meghan have paid for the furnishing of their current residence. But they do not own Frogmore Cottage. It is owned by the Crown Estate.

The renovation work benefits the Sussexes, but the work is necessary and will ultimately benefit the Crown Estate as well as future generations of royals. The improvements also add value to Windsor Great Park.

The marriage of H&M has brought millions in tourism dollars to Great Britain, in addition to benefiting their charities, the Commonwealth, and lending increased interest in British life and culture. The continued projects and service the Sussexes will be spending their time on also benefit the royal firm and Great Britain. Taxpayers should be proud to do their share of supporting the monarchy. Or simply vote to end the monarchy. While it might dismay the Queen, such a decision will not adversely impact any of the royals. They are independently wealthy. And the good work being done by all of the royals (including the Sussexes) to support people and organizations, will simply continue unabated. But tourism and British prestige based on the country's culture, history, and traditions of monarchy, will suffer.

Lots of people seem to want to cash in on Sussex fever, while at the same time maligning the Sussexes themselves.

Last edited:
Once again, the renovation/ upgrade of Frogmore Cottage has been long overdue as an historic property of the Crown Estate.

Meghan and Harry are the current occupants, and they live there by the Queen's permission. Meghan and Harry paid for their furnishings and interior decoration. They also selected art to display from the Royal Collection as loaned by the Queen, just as she has done for other members of her family.

The constant bringing up of the cost of Frogmore Cottage renovation in connection with other hot topics regarding the Sussexes is simply another pile-on erroneous negative narrative that deserves debunking and nothing further.

Since Meghan and now Harry are on one particular television personality's personal hit parade he has kept up a constant barrage on television both as host and in interviews. When he first started stirring about value for money versus the cost of renovations at Frogmore Cottage I was irritated but thought it would pass. However, the whole public outrage can be laid fairly a squarely at his door.

His personal animus has harvested more anti royal anger in general and even more anti Sussex thumping. He has deliberately exaggerated the type of work being done, suites and studios etc. that what was a wonderful thing . . . maintaining history by restoring buildings from the destruction of the post war barbarians . . . that the Restoration of Frogmore Cottage, is turning into a millstone around the Sussexes neck.

Unfortunately the previously submitted plans to restore the Orangerys and the landscaping has set the stirers off again

Re: the previous discussion about choosing Frogmore over Kensington Palace, having spent the last few days in London, I can quite understand anyone wanting to live & raise children elsewhere. The air quality is dreadful & given a choice, I'd plump for Windsor over London any day. I live on the coast so I really notice the difference when I go to London. I'm on my way home now & looking forward to restoring my lungs later with a walk on the beach!

I was watching ‘Royal Rota’ and Chris Ship mentioned just how small Frogmore Cottage looks from the outside.

I tried to find some information about square footage but to no avail. Does anyone have an idea of its dimensions.

I was watching ‘Royal Rota’ and Chris Ship mentioned just how small Frogmore Cottage looks from the outside.

I tried to find some information about square footage but to no avail. Does anyone have an idea of its dimensions.

It seems to be somewhat debated as to the size. I always heard it was a small 2 bedroom cottage...Omid says it's a decent size 3 bedroom (I asked him to clarify on Twitter and he said it is a 3 bed) ...I'm not sure anything is made public due to security?

LaRae

It seems to be somewhat debated as to the size. I always heard it was a small 2 bedroom cottage...Omid says it's a decent size 3 bedroom (I asked him to clarify on Twitter and he said it is a 3 bed) ...I'm not sure anything is made public due to security?

LaRae
Sorry, but Omid said that about Nottingham cottage not about Frogmore cottage

If Frogmore Cottage had been five separate staff accommodation flatlets in its recent history it can't have been that small. Each flat would have had to have had at least one bedroom, bathroom, kitchenette and sitting room, plus entrance hall and stairwells. There was also a separate building at the back of the cottage. Doesn't sound like a very small place to me.

The Cottage once used to house a Russian Grand Duchess, her family and some servants - not too muhc, they were poor, but some surely worked and stayed there. So my guess is they have a nice house with at least one guest bedroom and a nursery for Archie/future kids with accommodation for a nanny/babysitter.

If anyone has the time & is nerdy enough, you could go on google maps & compare it with some houses in Windsor town (keeping map at same scale), ideally finding houses for sale as you can get the floor plans/square footage. It's the kind of thing I'm nerdy enough to do but I have visitors today (the summer joys of living on the coast!). If nobody has done it by tomorrow, I'll have a crack at it.

No need to be nerdy. Google maps has a tool for measuring distances

Length of the cottage is approximately 42,39 m (139,07 ft) x width
13,82 m (45,35 ft) minus 3,26 m (10,68 ft) x 7,79 m (25,55 ft) x 2 floors.

In comparison to the prince Andrew's residence (current second child of the monarch) it's tiny indeed.

Last edited:
Its OK for now. However if Harry and Meghan have more than two children (and Twins aren't unheard of in older women's pregnancies), they might be stretched for room. Apparently there is no accommodation for RPOs at the Cottage either. Conceivably they could move into a larger house when Charles is King. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if they do.

Isn’t it a 5 bedroom home? That’s an average sized US home. That’s plenty of space for 3 kids with a guest room for Grandma Doria.

I heard it was only 4 bedroom based on later info.

LaRae

I believe that I heard one of the pods mention that Frogmore has five bedrooms after the refurbishment of the house. I also seem to remember it being said early on that an application for the build of some kind of extension had been filed with the local council. If all this proves to be true it seems to me that the cottage will be more than adequate for the Sussex family.

I guess there is mixed info...I think it was here I heard that after the updated info came out (new plans filed for exterior work etc) that it was a 4 bedroom...but of course that could be wrong too.

LaRae

I heard it was only 4 bedroom based on later info.

LaRae
I don't find that very believable - or believable at all. Frogmore Cottage consisted of five different apartments and now it only has four bedrooms? Even if every apartment was a small, it would be five bedrooms, five reception rooms, five kitchens, probably five dining rooms...

I read that before the renovations were done it consisted of 10 bedrooms and that number might've changed, but not to four. Unless they are bigger than an apartment, that is :lol:

I don't find that very believable - or believable at all. Frogmore Cottage consisted of five different apartments and now it only has four bedrooms? Even if every apartment was a small, it would be five bedrooms, five reception rooms, five kitchens, probably five dining rooms...

No offence to any British members of the forum, but often their homes, at least those that have not been updated for a while, have rooms that can be rather small and poky. I'm sure that many walls have been moved or knocked through to create a home that is more in tune with our modern tastes. I believe that is what media sources have been telling us.

When I've watched the International shows that show buying/renting homes in Europe it's always interesting to see the expression from Americans when faced with some of these very small room sizes. Our son and his wife living in Germany were lucky enough to find a western style 'flat' (they rent the upper two floors of a German home) when they moved there.

While I think there's no reason to have massive bedrooms ..some of the tiny rooms in Europe are quite uncomfortable looking!

LaRae

No offence to any British members of the forum, but often their homes, at least those that have not been updated for a while, have rooms that can be rather small and poky. I'm sure that many walls have been moved or knocked through to create a home that is more in tune with our modern tastes. I believe that is what media sources have been telling us.

This is totally true. I remember the first time I stayed in a hotel in the UK. There was about four to five feet of walking space around the bed. I could see combining several rooms into a larger, more comfortable room with an en suite bath as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom