The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I'm sure Meghan could cope with having the public rooms of any house she lived in being more formal & full of items from the Royal Collection.
I would be surprised if Harry was given access to furniture or art from the Royal Collection for his home. Its just not done.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't think the Royal Collection would be used either. It most likely will be furnished with pieces that Harry and Meghan choose and like. Also, I don't see *any* of the rooms of Frogmore Cottage ever being opened to the public either while Harry and Meghan are using it as their home.

None of Apartment 1A or Amner Hall are ever opened to the public. There are state rooms and historical rooms that are open to the public at KP but they're not in the residential section of KP. So, the interior of Frogmore Cottage will be done according to Harry and Meghan's taste.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I would be surprised if Harry was given access to furniture or art from the Royal Collection for his home. Its just not done.
It might be if they lived in Clarence House:
https://www.rct.uk/collection/near-y...e/682666#%255D

My main point is that if they end up living anywhere of historic significance, I'm sure they'll furnish & decorate any public/official rooms in harmony with the heritage even if they have private areas styled more for comfort & personal taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't think the Royal Collection would be used either. It most likely will be furnished with pieces that Harry and Meghan choose and like. Also, I don't see *any* of the rooms of Frogmore Cottage ever being opened to the public either while Harry and Meghan are using it as their home.

None of Apartment 1A or Amner Hall are ever opened to the public. There are state rooms and historical rooms that are open to the public at KP but they're not in the residential section of KP. So, the interior of Frogmore Cottage will be done according to Harry and Meghan's taste.
No, I don't suggest Frogmore Cottage would ever be open to the public or that items from the Royal Collection would be placed there. The line of conversation flowed from a possibility of Clarence House as a residence & a previous poster was concerned that Meghan's "American tastes" would be problematic there, which I disagree with.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Majesty

The royal family do have a lot of art works and furniture in store. The Cambridges have some at KP. That will be available if wanted.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-23-2018, 08:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I think using it for a tourist attraction, as well as for official events (investitures, State banquets and lesser occasions) and as office space would justify the cost of upkeep.
Even if Charles doesn’t ever move into BP, I think William and Catherine will.
I think there is furniture stored all over the place as fashion came and went and often came back again. It didn't just get turfed. Harry and Meghan are not going to be furnishing Frogmore Cottage with Ikea flatpacks.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have always assumed there must be a huge warehouse stuffed with furniture and other bits and pieces from gifts and previous renovations etc. Where the couple can pick and chose according to there tastes. As well as buying what they want.
Crown Prince Frederik ended up with a brand new renovated palace and they chose a mix of old and modern furnishings that appear to go well together.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:34 AM
Majesty

I should imagine much the same happens in the BRF.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I have always assumed there must be a huge warehouse stuffed with furniture and other bits and pieces from gifts and previous renovations etc. Where the couple can pick and chose according to there tastes. As well as buying what they want.
Crown Prince Frederik ended up with a brand new renovated palace and they chose a mix of old and modern furnishings that appear to go well together.

My understanding is that there used to be are several rooms in the bowels of BP and Windsor that were full of wonderful old furniture. When Charles was setting up home at Highgrove and KP, he had tried to take some of the furniture and had been told off by the Queen to go and buy his own. If this story is true, and I just recollect having read it in the Press / here at TRF a while ago, then she is unlikely to be offering anything substantial to Harry. Even W&C are meant to have bought a lot of their furniture for their home at KP.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:31 AM
Royal Highness

In a recent OnHeir podcast that aired in December, before Xmas, Emily Andrews and Omid Scobie discuss more details about what they've heard about Meghan & Harry moving to Frogmore Cottage and how the decision came about:

https://onheir.podbean.com/e/the-rea...andthe-weirde/
Old 01-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
In a recent OnHeir podcast that aired in December, before Xmas, Emily Andrews and Omid Scobie discuss more details about what they've heard about Meghan & Harry moving to Frogmore Cottage and how the decision came about:

https://onheir.podbean.com/e/the-rea...andthe-weirde/
Thanks for the link MaiaMia; it was interesting listening to them.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
My understanding is that there used to be are several rooms in the bowels of BP and Windsor that were full of wonderful old furniture. When Charles was setting up home at Highgrove and KP, he had tried to take some of the furniture and had been told off by the Queen to go and buy his own. If this story is true, and I just recollect having read it in the Press / here at TRF a while ago, then she is unlikely to be offering anything substantial to Harry. Even W&C are meant to have bought a lot of their furniture for their home at KP.

Even if it is so, the queen is old and they have to rehouse the furniture from BP because of the renovations anyway. But that doesn't sound like the queen at all. But maybe she and Charles simply disagreed about the way renovations should work - I can see this with their characts, that they might clash here - and then the queen said no in general. Just saying, IMHO, of course.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There is a lot of furniture that is historic for one reason or the other. I've read several times that there is a certain chair that *nobody* is even allowed to sit down on (just forget which residence its at. Balmoral?) as its Queen Victoria's chair.

I would also wager that those pieces that are to be saved for posterity would also be a part of the Royal Collection which is centered at Windsor Castle (in the Tower, I believe). Let's face it. The British royal family holds onto things. The Queen is also a frugal person and even with Charles being renowned for being on the extravagant side, is pretty astute in his purchases.

No one really knows what furnishings Harry and Meghan will have and where they come from or if they're bought new but I imagine, should the need be, Charles will be right there to help with that as he did for William and Kate.

One thing I do think H&M will be looking at for a lot of the rooms is durability and able to withstand the onslaught of little children. Like the Cambridges, I believe this family's hub is also going to be the kitchen.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Even if it is so, the queen is old and they have to rehouse the furniture from BP because of the renovations anyway. But that doesn't sound like the queen at all. But maybe she and Charles simply disagreed about the way renovations should work - I can see this with their characts, that they might clash here - and then the queen said no in general. Just saying, IMHO, of course.
The "historic" pieces are unlikely to be offered to Harry as he is not a "main line" royal. Other less significant pieces may be shared, but I suspect the more valuable and historic pieces will be moved elsewhere for the period that BP is being renovated.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Sally Bedell Smith asserts that when Charles and Diana divorced, he had Robert Kime redo Highgrove and his rooms at St. James's Palace. Robert Kime was allowed to tour the Royal Collection storage rooms and select furnishings.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes you are right Osipi, it was Tony Blair the former Prime Minister who said there is a chair at Balmoral no one is allowed to sit on as it was Queen Victoria's.
Some families have there little quirks.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Commoner

Apple Maps lists the address for the house (shown in the Daily Mail article posted by Sun Lion) as “Round Hill Cottage
Banbury Road
Swerford, Chipping Norton
OX7 4BJ
England”
Old 01-09-2019, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just how accurate do we think any of this story is by the Sun. Have they got the right place?
Or are they just making it up as usual?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Royal Highness

Well...she got the Frogmore Cottage story right. And if indeed they are just renting this place and may not buy it in the future...it would sure get a lot of attention and increased interest from buyers.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 PM
Commoner

Here is a pretty clear shot of the house: https://m.eonline.com/amp/news/10035...cotswolds-home

Closed Thread