The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
We do know the terms:

Andrew paid for all the renovations at Royal Lodge in return for a 75 year lease. He doesn't pay anything annually as he paid for all the repairs and renovations himself. If he leaves the house - i.e. it is returned to the Crown Estate and available for someone else prior to the first 25 years he gets some of the money he paid refunded but after that he gets nothing back but still pays nothing. He is also able to leave it to his daughters for their exclusive use until the end of the 76 year lease.

These terms were made public when the repairs/renovations were being done in the official annual returns that The Queen provides to parliament to explain her spending from both the then Civil List and the Duchy of Lancaster.
I meant we don’t know the term for Frogmore Cottage. But thanks for the information on when Andrew’s lease was made known. Perhaps we’ll find out at the next annual reporting about FC if it’s any guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I have been thinking that FC likely needs extensive work to return it to a single family home. This is why I have thought that the timeline for completion was was a bit "optimistic." I have a feeling that Baby Sussex will be in NC not FC for the beginning.
Agreed. Once you open up the walls, you never know what you are going to find. I think they also learned from the Cambridge’s apartment that it’s better not to share an estimate and then take another hit for going over it. Might as well just share the cost once and have it all at once. Plus, this is all happening during the winter as I think Baby Sussex is due in early Spring. I’m not sure about England, but in US, they can’t work once the temperature drops below a certain point.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Majesty

An interesting tidbit from the Mirror’s royal correspondent, Russell Myers. He said there’s rumours Frogmore Cottage wasn’t Harry’s first choice, he wanted to live at KP but was told the Gloucesters apartment 1 is being saved for when William and Catherine are The Prince and Princess of Wales.

It’s going to used as staterooms and offices for the Cambridges large increase in staff when William is heir.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Royal Highness

So what about Emily Andrews' assertion that Apt 1 is available but because of so-called "tensions" between the brothers, H&M decided not to live there?

If the long term plan for Apt 1 was always to be used by the Cambridges when they become Princes of Wales then Emily's story has no credibility.

But until there is an official announcement, we will have to wait and see what actually happens to Apt 1
Old 12-21-2018, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I see the tabloids are not going to stop trying to kick Gloucesters out of their home any time soon no matter what.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
An interesting tidbit from the Mirror’s royal correspondent, Russell Myers. He said there’s rumours Frogmore Cottage wasn’t Harry’s first choice, he wanted to live at KP but was told the Gloucesters apartment 1 is being saved for when William and Catherine are The Prince and Princess of Wales.

It’s going to used as staterooms and offices for the Cambridges large increase in staff when William is heir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I see the tabloids are not going to stop trying to kick Gloucesters out of their home any time soon no matter what.
Following that logic, the tabloids have extended the Gloucester's time at their KP home till the end of the current reign!
Old 12-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Following that logic, the tabloids have extended the Gloucester's time at their KP home till the end of the current reign!
I hope they have it signed an sealed.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its the Mirror. I don't believe a word of it.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think either the Russell Myers or the Emily Andrews stories are credible. (They sure are different!)

And I don't see Harry willing to kick the Gloucesters out of their Apartment either, even if the story about the plan for it to become offices when William becomes POW isn't true.

The idea may have been floated, I'm sure lots of ideas are floated and explored. That doesn't mean they are an actual "set in concrete" plan.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness

Its inevitable that the Sussexes will get a London base (assuming they are not keeping Nott Cott), whether that be at KP, CH or St James (I don't think it will be BP given the renovations and the IMO likely move to make that more of a ceremonial place). I can very much see them having Apt 1, but also see them getting something smaller in a couple of years.

None of the breathless stories around their housing ever came close to naming Frogmore Cottage (the House was floated right before the wedding), so whatever reported plans for lodging or future space will likely be similarly off center lol.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Emily was also on her podcast last week speaking with almost certainly that The Sussexes had originally planned on moving into Apt 1 but allegedly The Gloucesters weren't able to move out quick enough to allow for the renovations to start on their time frame, so they decided elsewhere.

So... many... stories.

I think it is just this simple. They love Windsor and likely always planned on living there. It is a huge part of their story. They had rented their country home and likely had plans to stay their longer but Baby Sussex sped up the process of getting a more permanent place sooner.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

It doesn't make any sense for the Cambridges (when their title changes) to move to The Gloucester's apartments ...theirs are already done and to their liking.

LaRae
Old 12-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Emily was also on her podcast last week speaking with almost certainly that...
In my mind the only thing that is almost certain is that all of the reporters claiming the Sussex'es were getting Apt. 1 at KP have egg on their face so they are scrambling for ways to show they actually got it right but then the RF changed their minds.
I think the new claim that the Cambridges will acquire Apt. 1 at KP said it would be for their staff rather than for them to personally live in.
If the Gloucesters are staying put, might as well pencil Apt. 1 in for Prince George & his future wife.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

^^Exactly, all those who said KP Apartment 1 was going to H&M need a reason to explain why their initial reports were wrong. Admitting they got it wrong is one option but of course the media won't do that so better to explain it away with this story of W&K using it when Prince & Princess of Wales.

My understanding was the claim was that W&K would use Apartment 1 as staff offices, accommodation for staff and official entertaining rooms while keeping 1A as private for them. That of course overlooks the fact their staff already have offices and they already use Diana's old apartment on occasion to meet guests/visitors in.

Much more likely IMO Apartment 1 was never considered as the Gloucester's live there and no one wanted or thought to ask them to leave. After the work on W&K's Apartment 1A work was also found to be required on Apartment 1 which the media inaccurately reported as being for H&M rather than just regular upkeep and maintenance. I can believe the Gloucester's may have moved out to allow this work to be undertaken but I suspect they will move right back in once it is done.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:48 PM
Serene Highness

Interesting if the Cambridges were to absorb Apt that would free up Apts 8 & 9 - and the 5 year plan could be for the Sussexes to reclaim Apts 8&9 down the road - they would have Frogmore. hmmm
Old 12-21-2018, 10:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Interesting if the Cambridges were to absorb Apt that would free up Apts 8 & 9 - and the 5 year plan could be for the Sussexes to reclaim Apts 8&9 down the road - they would have Frogmore. hmmm
Honestly, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for the Cambridges (in another 10 years) to take over Apt 1 for staff once they're the Cornwalls/Waleses. Remember, Prince Charles has - according to his accounts - somewhere around 125 staff members. Kate and William probably won't have that many but they'll have more than they do now, and they won't all fit in 8&9.

However, as the Royal Foundation grows, it'll also need room, and I think it's more likely that it'll stay in 8&9. In 2017 it spent almost a million pounds on salaries/headcount; a rough calculation based on the average charity sector salary in London indicates they probably have somewhere north of 25 employees by this point.

Honestly, I think it's unlikely we'll see Harry and Meghan move into a large apartment in KP; as W&K step into the heir role, it's going to be as much a working palace as the St. James's complex and Buckingham.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

All of Charles staff doesn't work in London, or out if his offices. And I doubt York house, which houses Charles office is much larger then apt 8&9. There us also the possibility when Charles is king, William and Kate will take over his offices. There are also the extensive renovations being done at Kensington to increase office space.

I highly doubt they will turn a 21 room apartment into offices. Those apartments are one of the few large apartments around. There would also be a massive visit to turn them into offices.

It is more likely 8&9 will eventually serve for one couple. Either will and Kate will maintain it even as Prince of Wales. And Harry and Meghan will have their own smaller office, like Charles siblings, in London. Or will and Kate will move on to larger offices like York.

Harry and Meghan will likely eventually get a small apartment in Kensington or st James as a London base. Like his undies and aunt.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

I seem to remember that at the time the Cambridges were moving into Apt 1A and then Amner Hall, it was announced that these residences would serve that family until the time comes that William is King. So, I'm of the belief that where they are is where they will stay.

I don't give any kind of credence to reports that Harry and Meghan wanted "x" or were offered "y" but had to settle for Frogmore Cottage. I think its more logical to think that H&M wanted to live at Windsor and perhaps fell in love with the cottage even before the wedding. I also cannot picture Harry entertaining the thought of making the Gloucesters move out so he gets that apartment either. Harry probably remembers the Gloucesters living there for the entire time he was growing up at KP and I don't think its in Harry's nature to want to displace people.

I'm sure eventually H&M will have a larger London base than Nott Cott (especially with a growing family) and it'll all work out.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Well once the Kents and Gloucester's "move on" there won't be a queue of royals needing homes at KP. Really it would just be the Cambridge children. It that way it makes sense for the Cambridges to take over more of KP as there won't be an obvious candidate to take over such a large apartment like Apartment 1 apart from George(if he is an adult by then)
Old 12-22-2018, 04:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

They won't need a larger London base. Like Andrew, Edward and Anne they won't stay in London overnight all that often. They will return to Windsor which is where their children will be.

Nott Cott is as large, if not larger than the others apartments in London.

They won't be raising their children in London but at Windsor. There are great schools at Windsor - such as the ones Beatrice, Louise and James have attended. Eugenie started at Windsor but ended up boarding at Marlborough while the others were/are at day schools (Beatrice boarded for a few years in her primary years but for high school was a day pupil).

I suspect that the next generation of royal children won't be sent away to boarding schools - certainly not before high school if at all, and there is no need for them to be in London. It is only about 40 minutes from London and many people commute that far every day.

William is different as his country home is too far from London to commute on a regular basis but not for Harry.

Nott Cott is the perfect size for the second son who will be increasingly irrelevant as the years go by - just as Andrew is now (and Andrew has been described as a minor, irrelevant royal, since 1982 when he dropped to 3rd in the line of succession).

I know many Harry fans think he will be relevant even as the brother of a future King but as we can see Andrew isn't seen in that light today and he is the son of the present monarch and brother of the next monarch but the double standards are amazing - Harry will always be relevant as he will be the son of the next monarch and brother of the one after that and then the uncle of the one after that but Andrew who is one generation ahead is seen as irrelevant now and has been seen that way since William was born.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Actually, I don't see that happening, tommy. If we look to the recent past, Charles as a newly married Prince of Wales had the one apartment at KP (8&9) and a country home at Highgrove.

I think William and Kate are happy with what they have. I also think that Harry and Meghan will be very happy with Frogmore Cottage and a London base.

It may happen as time passes that when the Kents and the Gloucesters move on, those apartments will be made available for lease for Beatrice and Eugenie and their families. With the Queen's permission, they could lease those apartments from the Crown Estates.

The possibilities are endless.......