Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess they will move when they move. No point speculating, as the Press don't seem to know the exact status of the renovation.

That’s it in a nutshell! Everyone knows, when it comes to home renovations, dates to move in moves from time to time. This whole thing is completely natural.

This is one of the reason why I really don't understand FC as a main residence. I know people talk about how the Queen loves Windsor etc but I am currently looking at a country home to buy and Windsor is awful for that. You cannot even enjoy your garden in peace. There is no quiet. When I asked potential neighbours they said you get used to it but really... I have enough of the airplanes & helicopters in central London so why spend millions to not even be able to enjoy your garden in peace? That being said since, apparently, they wanted a country home as a main residence I don't think they had many other choices that close to London :/

First things first. Harry and Meghan are not *buying* Frogmore Cottage. They're approved by HM, The Queen and the Crown Estate as as being suitable tenants for the property. Frogmore Cottage is a Grade II listed house in the grounds of Frogmore House built in 1801 and held in trust for the British nation as part of their history. Yes, the Queen loves being at Windsor Castle but the fact is that its not *her* castle. She's the current resident is all as is her prerogative. Charles, as King may never spend time there at all during his reign. Its personal preference. It may surprise you just how little property the British Royal Family actually "owns". In a nutshell its Balmoral and Sandringham. Back in the time of the abdication of Edward VIII, George VI had to wangle how to get them back for Britain Its a story worth delving into. Those are their "piles".

Frogmore Cottage has been chosen as the "home" for Harry and Meghan much like Bagshot Park is the home of the Wessex family and Royal Lodge is the home of Andrew. All in the same area. They're given the use of the properties and they do pay rent and pay for the upkeep but the property will always "belong" to the Crown Estate.

Making Frogmore Cottage a residence again is doing something. Its preserving it for history. Harry and Meghan are just going to be temporary residents for the time being. ;)

BTW: I lived very close to Detroit Metropolitan Airport once upon a time and it taught me to think of my hearing impairment as a blessing. I can sleep through any kind of noise. :lol:

Nice to meet you EvaH. You're jumping right into the mix. Wish I had that kind of guts when I first joined. :D

Last edited:
This is one of the reason why I really don't understand FC as a main residence. I know people talk about how the Queen loves Windsor etc but I am currently looking at a country home to buy and Windsor is awful for that. You cannot even enjoy your garden in peace. There is no quiet. When I asked potential neighbours they said you get used to it but really... I have enough of the airplanes & helicopters in central London so why spend millions to not even be able to enjoy your garden in peace? That being said since, apparently, they wanted a country home as a main residence I don't think they had many other choices that close to London :/

I would think one of the main reasons is that it was given to them as a gift along with the fact that the Queen was also paying for the huge restorations so far noted at around 3,000,000 pounds. That brilliant gift is rather hard to turn down. Besides I read somewhere that they will be keeping their rental home for the next year or so. Security still in view daily there so it is still being protected from vandals or nosey tourists. If they are not "outdoors" people like William and Catherine, it won't bother them that much. Some people can't take the pollen and bugs or are allergic to things. We just don't know their personal status or their likes. Posing for photos and living daily are two different things. I am sure they know exactly what they are doing and so did the Queen.

You are right, there would not have been many choices for H&M of a property on a royal estate close to London.

Windsor can be noisy, but as you have heard, residents get used to it. Quite large parts of Buckinghamshire and Surrey, near the M25, do suffer because of the noise from LHR.

I would think one of the main reasons is that it was given to them as a gift along with the fact that the Queen was also paying for the huge restorations so far noted at around 3,000,000 pounds. That brilliant gift is rather hard to turn down. Besides I read somewhere that they will be keeping their rental home for the next year or so. Security still in view daily there so it is still being protected from vandals or nosey tourists. If they are not "outdoors" people like William and Catherine, it won't bother them that much. Some people can't take the pollen and bugs or are allergic to things. We just don't know their personal status or their likes. Posing for photos and living daily are two different things. I am sure they know exactly what they are doing and so did the Queen.

The Queen and / or Prince Charles would have paid for a home for Harry, irrespective of whether a suitable home was found on the Windsor estate or not. This was done for all of the Queen's children, and each of the homes was individually leased from the Crown Estate on an arms length basis (Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park) or purchased (Gatcombe) using funds provided privately by HM / other family finances.

First things first. Harry and Meghan are not *buying* Frogmore Cottage. They're approved by HM, The Queen and the Crown Estate as as being suitable tenants for the property. Frogmore Cottage is a Grade II listed house in the grounds of Frogmore House built in 1801 and held in trust for the British nation as part of their history. Yes, the Queen loves being at Windsor Castle but the fact is that its not *her* castle. She's the current resident is all as is her prerogative. Charles, as King may never spend time there at all during his reign. Its personal preference. It may surprise you just how little property the British Royal Family actually "owns". In a nutshell its Balmoral and Sandringham. Back in the time of the abdication of Edward VIII, George VI had to wangle how to get them back for Britain Its a story worth delving into. Those are their "piles".

Frogmore Cottage has been chosen as the "home" for Harry and Meghan much like Bagshot Park is the home of the Wessex family and Royal Lodge is the home of Andrew. All in the same area. They're given the use of the properties and they do pay rent and pay for the upkeep but the property will always "belong" to the Crown Estate.

Making Frogmore Cottage a residence again is doing something. Its preserving it for history. Harry and Meghan are just going to be temporary residents for the time being. ;)
All the wittering about Frogmore Cottage in the DM and on YouTube is so asinine. Do they really think anyone in their right mind would spend that amount of money on "five old staff flats to turn it into to a royal residence? It was originally built and used as a royal residence and over decades, fell into disuse. Then came the Barbarians, with little or no laws to stop them, ripping into it to provide 5 flats that they could never keep fully tenanted.

It's the sins of omission that get me as half a truth is worse than an outright lie. Just as the social media keep showing an overgrown back yard and a rather ordinary two story house just inside a wrought iron fence with No Trespassing signs and a road running right past it. By sheer dint of repetition people relate the one with the other and od course, can't see where all the money went.

There are tales of Meghan holding up progress by changing her mind and wanting walls moved or altered at the last minute. Grade II any one?

Couple of questions
1. Are all such extensive renovations required to use double glazing, and
2. Ditto for insulation?

I would dearly love to see the finished restoration and the garden but I imagine security will prevent that.

It just stands to reason that if Meghan had a question about what she'd like and what she envisioned into her future home (which I think will be the *sole* home of the Sussex family) , she'd ask and it would be taken to the Crown Estate to deliberate if its a go or not go for the property in question . If it fits and works. it a green light. If not, ahhh well. was worth a try. ?

Summer in England.. we'll be two flies on the wall and see the inside of the place. Debating whether the very short lifespan of a fly is worth it. :D

Last edited:
The Queen and / or Prince Charles would have paid for a home for Harry, irrespective of whether a suitable home was found on the Windsor estate or not. This was done for all of the Queen's children, and each of the homes was individually leased from the Crown Estate on an arms length basis (Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park) or purchased (Gatcombe) using funds provided privately by HM / other family finances.

If my brain cells are actually still working, years ago, there was a property (pile) that Charles had in mind for Harry. I believe the property started with a "H". I'm not about to delve back through the archives here and find the name of said pile (or lack of pile). The intention was good but what happened is that the kid grew up and picked for himself (with his love) where they wanted to live.

Family takes care of family but they don't force things on the kid. I think that the best move made by the monarchy is to allow personal preference to figure into anything and everything having to do with the monarchy. ;)

If my brain cells are actually still working, years ago, there was a property (pile) that Charles had in mind for Harry. I believe the property started with a "H". I'm not about to delve back through the archives here and find the name of said pile (or lack of pile). The intention was good but what happened is that the kid grew up and picked for himself (with his love) where they wanted to live.

Family takes care of family but they don't force things on the kid. I think that the best move made by the monarchy is to allow personal preference to figure into anything and everything having to do with the monarchy. ;)

That is exactly what I am saying. There was no pressure on H to live in Windsor. A house would have been leased / bought for him, as was the case for Anne, Andrew and Edward, wherever he wanted.

The property you are alluding to was purchased and developed by the Duchy of Cornwall and was in Herefordshire. It was initially rumoured to be for William, and then for Harry. Clearly neither of the boys chose to use it.

That is exactly what I am saying. There was no pressure on H to live in Windsor. A house would have been leased / bought for him, as was the case for Anne, Andrew and Edward, wherever he wanted.

The property you are alluding to was purchased and developed by the Duchy of Cornwall and was in Herefordshire. It was initially rumoured to be for William, and then for Harry. Clearly neither of the boys chose to use it.

That's it. Herefordshire. Knew it started with an "H". A lot of what Charles has done as far as the Duchy of Cornwall is concerned is bring a lot of good ideas that came to fruition because Charles learned early how to look ahead. The press may have "earmarked" it for William or Harry but the reality is that Charles, himself, went rogue and found a place that resonated with him, saw what it could be and said "this is home for me". He'd expect his sons to do likewise. ?

Home is where you hang your heart and resonating with where you are makes a huge difference. Until the roof leaks.

First and foremost, I was never impressed with the choice of Frogmore Cottage as their residence. Just the sight & site of the place, not impressive at all. And to subject a new born baby to all that airplanes noises!
And now it is not even ready to move-in. Poor Baby Sussex ready to make an entrance and no home. I never would've thought that having a home (which is such a basic need) would be such a problem for a member of the RF.

Last edited:
First and foremost, I was never impressed with the choice of Frogmore Cottage as their residence. Just the sight & site of the place, not impressive at all. And to subject a new born baby to all that airplanes noises!
And now it is not even ready to move-in. Poor Baby Sussex ready to make an entrance and no home.

They have a perfectly acceptable home at KP, so I would hold back the concerns.

If they don't want to live at FC, I am sure H&M can surely buy a home that they consider suitable for them. Apparently both have considerable financial resources that will allow them to do so, if they want to be independent and do not want to rely on his family to support them.

And now it is not even ready to move-in. Poor Baby Sussex ready to make an entrance and no home. I never would've thought that having a home (which is such a basic need) would be such a problem for a member of the RF.

Trust me. I moved residences when my first born was 3 days old. He doesn't remember it. It actually was a gift from my parents who purchased a home in the "burbs" for us. It is still the "old neighborhood".

If HM, The Queen can value where she calls home and the dogs still wag their tails there (remember its in the same neighborhood as FC) and Harry and Meghan opted for the place and it was their choice where they want to raise their family, who are we to decide otherwise? Where do you think they belong? Balmoral or Sandringham were probably options that they turned down. Perhaps taking over the Castle of Mey.. oh wait... that's no longer an option at all.

People move where they feel they want to be. They chose Frogmore Cottage as their home. Their decision. ;)

I think many forget that Nott Cott was never intended to be a permanent home for H & M and where they choose to live was ENTIRELY in HM's gift.

K P glasshouse never used to be as public and squashed. But the Queen Mother's genes mixed with Queen Victoria's descendents and now Prince Philip's, has lead to an incredibly long-lived generation or two all playing musical apartments courtesy of th BP repair and renovations.

All in all, the fact that Harry and Meghan are happy and willing to live at Windsor in FC is a happy situation for all..

I don't see any reason to think they aren't happy or it was forced on them.

Harry and Meghan have made a point of saying how close Windsor, and even more, Frogmore is to them. When they were dating, they used to take walks on the property. They had their engagement photos at Frogmore House. Its also close to things like Berkshire polo club where Harry often plays. Meghan attended the Senteble polo match there to support him. The polo grounds and things like a golf course speak volumes to people can enjoy being outdoors even at Windsor. The Wessexes and Yorks never had an issue with their kids.

If they hadn't wanted Windsor, another home could have been found. If not a crown property, perhaps a Cornwall property. But it wasn't.

If they don't want to live at FC, I am sure H&M can surely buy a home that they consider suitable for them. Apparently both have considerable financial resources that will allow them to do so, if they want to be independent and do not want to rely on his family to support them.

Yes they have money but the cost of the kind of home they would need, including the security costs???? :ohmy: No, they couldn't just turn around and say we decide to move some where else.

Harry would be shooting himself in a foot to use his money. That's his income. The interest from his inheritance and investments is his income. Unlike William, he wont eventually have the Duchy of Cornwall and Lancaster to pay for him. Unless he wants to live off the charity of his dad and brother for the rest of his life (beyond the money for royal events), he cant so spending his inheritance on some big house.

They have a perfectly acceptable home at KP, so I would hold back the concerns.

Yes they have money but the cost of the kind of home they would need, including the security costs???? :ohmy: No, they couldn't just turn around and say we decide to move some where else.

Harry would be shooting himself in a foot to use his money. That's his income. The interest from his inheritance and investments is his income. Unlike William, he wont eventually have the Duchy of Cornwall and Lancaster to pay for him. Unless he wants to live off the charity of his dad and brother for the rest of his life (beyond the money for royal events), he cant so spending his inheritance on some big house.

I agree with Countessmeout on this, it would be foolhardy for Harry to spend his principal buying the kind of home he would need with security considerations.

I imagine of the options presented to them, this was Harry & Meghan's choice for their family home.

Last edited:

Personally, I think FC is a perfectly suitable home for H&M. However, if they were to purchase a home of their choosing from their own resources, they will obviously need to budget according to the money they have. The Security will be funded by the tax payer, as it currently is.

Personally, I think FC is a perfectly suitable home for H&M. However, if they were to purchase a home of their choosing from their own resources, they will obviously need to budget according to the money they have. The Security will be funded by the tax payer, as it currently is.

Although security is funded by the taxpayers, royal residences also need to have housing for the RPOs and a good security system installed. There was a story in a book about life at Highgrove where Charles and Diana were "getting busy" and Diana accidentally hit the panic button with her foot. They were interrupted by their security busting into the room. :lol:

I also don't see Harry and Meghan actually purchasing their own property. Its not really needed and to be honest, I think they do prefer Frogmore Cottage and will probably make that their home for years to come. If they didn't like FC, they wouldn't be moving there.

Personally I don't think this is a forever home for the Sussexes. I think at some point in the future we will see them shift houses.

LaRae

Personally I don't think this is a forever home for the Sussexes. I think at some point in the future we will see them shift houses.

LaRae

Where would you like to see them move?

I have no idea to what location, perhaps another Royal property/home..I just don't think Frogmore is there forever home.

ETA: Sorry got distracted by kids: I don't think the property is going to be very ideal for children when it comes to the grounds.

LaRae

Last edited:
I have no idea to what location, perhaps another Royal property/home..I just don't think Frogmore is there forever home.

ETA: Sorry got distracted by kids: I don't think the property is going to be very ideal for children when it comes to the grounds.

LaRae

Why do you think the grounds are not ideal for kids?

After all the talk here about how much airplane noise there is at Windsor I checked out how close Frogmore actually is to Heathrow.

You guys, it’s ten miles away. I’ve lived closer than that to a major airport and it’s really not bad at all. 99% of passenger jets are at a high enough altitude by the time you’re ten miles out that they can barely be heard. It’s only the really giant planes that are noisy at that distance, and even those aren’t that bad. Yes, Heathrow does have more jumbo jets of the kind that handle transoceanic flights than the average airport, but even a giant facility like it mostly handles the more “regular” sized ones. And surely a decent percentage of those jumbo jets will going a direction that doesn’t take them over Windsor.

I’m sure there is noise that didn’t used to be there, and it’s good to make sure the occasional giant overnight planes don’t wake them up, but it’s not going to be the cacophony of constant flight sound that some here have painted it to be.

After all the talk here about how much airplane noise there is at Windsor I checked out how close Frogmore actually is to Heathrow.

You guys, it’s ten miles away. I’ve lived closer than that to a major airport and it’s really not bad at all. 99% of passenger jets are at a high enough altitude by the time you’re ten miles out that they can barely be heard. It’s only the really giant planes that are noisy at that distance, and even those aren’t that bad. Yes, Heathrow does have more jumbo jets of the kind that handle transoceanic flights than the average airport, but even a giant facility like it mostly handles the more “regular” sized ones. And surely a decent percentage of those jumbo jets will going a direction that doesn’t take them over Windsor.

I’m sure there is noise that didn’t used to be there, and it’s good to make sure the occasional giant overnight planes don’t wake them up, but it’s not going to be the cacophony of constant flight sound that some here have painted it to be.

It actually depends on the place. I remember watching Sophie and Edward's wedding, and thinking that couldn't possibly have been a plane when they were saying their vows. Flash forward to my visit a few years ago in Windsor, and it's horrible, especially with old homes that are not insulated. Since then, my friends have actually added noise insulation in select parts of the home such as the bedrooms and the study, and it's much better.

Nothing appears to go directly overhead of Frogmore but some of the flightpaths are close. The average heights around Windsor are approx 2.5 - 3k feet. If you want to see the planes going over & track their type, size, heights & flightpaths in real time, you can do it here. I'm a bit of a plane nerd so it's a favourite site for me. :lol:
https://www.flightradar24.com

In the 1960ties the British government regulated the departure routes from Heathrow in western direction (which make for about 70% of the days) in a way that Windor was left out of the then new Noise Preferential Routes. Only those departures who take to a direct western flightpath fly over Windsor Great Park, but even those don't fly over the Windsor Home Park of which Frogmore is a part. The routes to the north and south change direction after take-off long before they reach Windsor. By the time any departing plane reaches the area closest to Windsor Home Park, they are normally already higher than 4000ft, so I guess the noise is not as bad as people presume.

Source: https://your.heathrow.com/tag/operations/

Well you certainly hear the planes, even over the music in the video.

LaRae

Two of the richest German families have their country estates right under the flight path of Düsseldorf airport! Not all people have problems with air noise and it's not as if they move into a house directly at the runway of Heathrow. For me the far greater problem is living close to a motorway like we do - on some summer nights it's as if we were sitting directly at the motorway because the wind takes the noise towards our neighbor's house and this house directs the noise waves right onto our terrace. That's why we move soon into a village where lorries don't fit through the underpass of the railway, so can only come into the village if they have to be there, not drive-through noise and the main street is on the other sight of a hill...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom