The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
https://i.postimg.cc/brJWtRLV/0943-F...CE4-B9-EB4.jpg

Seems to be a recent shot of Frogmore Cottage.
A truly lovely home!

Old 12-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I think some people get confused because there are two adjacent Windsor Parks. Windsor GREAT Park is largely open to the public, Windsor HOME Park is kept private except on the days that Frogmore is opened. The cottage is in the Home Park.
Right there is where confusion came to stay and took up residence. Until all this discussion about Frogmore Cottage, I didn't realize that there were two different areas.

Now that I think about it, its mostly reported that Philip has been sighted carriage driving in Windsor Great Park (or through the town of Windsor itself).

Old 12-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure the public access will be sorted to appease any security concerns. Frogmore is in the private Home Park so while the public might have been able (note bale not suppose/encouraged to) to access the area before now I am sure that will stop. Otherwise its only the open days of Frogmore house that are potentially a problem but plenty of royal residences have some level of public access whilst still being a private home - Windsor castle itself, Highgrove has regular garden tours so I am sure the police can come up with plenty of ways to stop any access for those few limited days.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
It is a lovely cottage, but I'm still worried about that public footpath so close. I'm sure plans are in motion to address it, however, I'm still so uncomfortable with that aspect of it.
Well, thankfully it's not you who has to be comfortable with living there, just Harry and Meghan
Old 12-08-2018, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Yeah that's why I say there is confusion because we've been told here (various conversations) that the public only has access 3 days a year for the tours...but then I see Brits saying no that's not really the case.

LaRae
It is many more days than 3 a year. I don't remember the exact number but it's three charity days and about a month of tours in August if I remember correctly (I posted about it a little while back).
Old 12-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Are there any interior shots of Frogmore cottage?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It is many more days than 3 a year. I don't remember the exact number but it's three charity days and about a month of tours in August if I remember correctly (I posted about it a little while back).

Those tours are prearranged and for groups larger than 6 (or perhaps larger I can’t remember) according to the website. I doubt they’d have a tour everyday in August.

Meghan and Henry have chosen this and obviously the security aspect has been covered extensively, so they’ll be fine.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Nobility

That is a lovely home for them. Secluded with lots of room for Meghan to walk the dogs and the newest Sussex.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Those tours are prearranged and for groups larger than 6 (or perhaps larger I can’t remember) according to the website. I doubt they’d have a tour everyday in August.

Meghan and Henry have chosen this and obviously the security aspect has been covered extensively, so they’ll be fine.
Not sure why you added the final part. Probably you confused me with someone else. Of course they will be fine. They won't take a risk and will want to ensure their privacy. I have always stated that they surely will find a solution.

They offer tours to groups of 15 or larger during the whole month of August. They might indeed not offer it every day but the they most days with 5-6 tours a day! So, not something to dismiss as a possible nuisance. Currently you can still book tickets for 17 days in August. It seems thst a few days already sold out. And probably no tours were scheduled on Sundays and Mondays and maybe the Fridays.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

This is a couple who value their privacy immensely and have proven they will go above and beyond to protect that (something to do with unauthorised photos during the Caribbean wedding of Harry’s friend ‘Skippy’). I doubt they purposely chose a home with public footpaths (even though the estate on which croaking-frogmore-cottage is based, is open for public tours only at certain times of the year)... Nice place though if you disregard the noise from low flying planes nearby and croaking frogs. The estate itself serves as a royal cemetery but the dead don’t make noise despite persistent rumours the place is haunted. The ‘kind hearted’ queen most likely allocated or ‘gifted’ the couple the home same as she has done the others. No one can accuse tq of unfairness or having a warped sense of humour!!

Quote:

The structure seems different and resembles a country pile compared to what I’ve seen of the official images of ‘Frogmore Cottage’. And I’ve seen quite a few ‘shots’, aerial views that purport to be that of the cottage when they’re anything but. Same as the sudden spate of new articles providing revisionist accounts of British royals who supposedly lived there at some point.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

The aerial pic is Frogmore Cottage and given we have always known it was home to 5 families before we shouldn't be surprised it is so big. I have read in numerous places that Nottingham cottage is actually a 4 bedroom comfortably sized house. York Cottage on Sandringham estate is anything but tiny by normal standards, only cottage size by royal standards.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone know what the smaller structure close the cottage is currently used for (upper right corner on the aerial view)?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:14 PM
Courtier

Are the Sussexes likely to stay at Frogmore Cottage during the next two reigns? Clarence House could still be an option for a London base in the future.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Reem View Post
This is a couple who value their privacy immensely and have proven they will go above and beyond to protect that (something to do with unauthorised photos during the Caribbean wedding of Harry’s friend ‘Skippy’). I doubt they purposely chose a home with public footpaths (even though the estate on which croaking-frogmore-cottage is based, is open for public tours only at certain times of the year)... Nice place though if you disregard the noise from low flying planes nearby and croaking frogs. The estate itself serves as a royal cemetery but the dead don’t make noise despite persisting rumours of the place being haunted. The ‘kind hearted’ queen most likely allocated or ‘gifted’ the couple the home same as she has done the others. No one can accuse tq of unfairness or a boring sense of humour!!

The structure seems different and resembles a country pile compared to what I’ve seen of the official images of ‘Frogmore Cottage’. And I’ve seen quite a few ‘shots’, aerial views that purport to be that of the cottage when they’re anything but. Same as the sudden spate of new articles providing revisionist accounts of British royals who supposedly lived there at some point.
If Harry and Meghan didn't like Frogmore Cottage, they wouldn't have decided to move there. As far as the Queen "gifting" the cottage, I believe its more along the lines that the Queen has assented to the Crown Estate leasing the property to Harry and Meghan much like Edward and Sophie and Andrew all hold leases to other properties on the Windsor estate.

It doesn't surprise me that there have been other people with ties to the British royal family or even royals themselves that have used the cottage before. That property has been part of the Crown Estate since it was built.

As far as the roar of the jets heading into Heathrow, for all we know, Harry and Meghan can use them instead of alarm clocks. "There's the 8:05 AM flight arriving from Spain. Time to get up and let the dogs out."
Old 12-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Nobility

Oh yes, a banished Russian royal and a home for staffers of sorts throughout its ‘ British Royal’ existence . Intriguing

Quote:
It doesn't surprise me that there have been other people with ties to the British royal family or even royals themselves that have used the cottage before. That property has been part of the Crown Estate since it was built.
I’m not buying into the other stuff that past British Royals resided there (first it was said a haughty Queen lived there, and that’s been thoroughly disputed)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Reem View Post
I’m not buying into the other stuff that past British Royals resided there (first it was said a haughty Queen lived there, and that’s been thoroughly disputed)
I don't think it really matters who lived there before. What matters is who is going to live there now. Previous to Will and Kate moving into Amner Hall, it was leased out to a furniture company.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
WOW! What a cottage!
Exactly! In a gorgeous setting too. And as we know, Windsor holds special meaning for the Sussexes. We can see their joy in the below wedding engagement photo as they stroll through the idyllic setting around Frogmore House, not far from Frogmore Cottage:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc94pLOD...ource=ig_embed

In retrospect, this picture tells us all we need to know about H&M's love for Windsor and the Frogmore environs.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

Looks like a lovely good sized home for the Sussex family.

It seems to have some solarium like set up at the back facing east so watching the sunrise above the grounds of Frogmore must be a sight to behold every morning.

There also seems to be some buildings right next to it that can be converted to a house for guests and staff in the future. It's easy to see why they chose Frogmore Cottage.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

That’s a gorgeous view in that aerial photo. So royals are like Vanderbilts with their “Cottage”.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

I am betting they are gonna have some sort of home gym..maybe one of the outbuildings?

Seems like I remember reading some of the plans for reno included a glass enclosure or something.

LaRae

Closed Thread