Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
This is getting really tiring. Everyday is the same. Reportedly. Who was there, who heard the conversation with the designer. Why is it Meghan has hired, it is their home, hence their decision together if it is true to hire this designer. Just because the said designer did Soho House, does not mean it is what they want their home to be like.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding of Soho House is that the design can vary from location to location. Like their London location is 1920s & 30s style, but Toronto is much more modern. So I’m not understanding how it’s to design after the chain... or how it’d be impersonal? I always thought personal or not had to do with the home, not style of design? Like does it look lives in with personal touches and such?

Vicky Charles does more than Soho House. She's done private residences too, which I know are individual & personal. The Sussex home will be personal to them & if Vicky is the professional input, it will look great. It won't look corporate or tacky or even (heaven forbid) mock-tudor suburban.

Last edited:
MDR... how deeply impersonal, and 'corporate', but I'd expected something better from the Lady.

This is getting really tiring. Everyday is the same. Reportedly. Who was there, who heard the conversation with the designer. Why is it Meghan has hired, it is their home, hence their decision together if it is true to hire this designer. Just because the said designer did Soho House, does not mean it is what they want their home to be like.

Right, we don't know and the media, especially the tabs, enjoy making things up and speculating while printing the spec as fact. It is of course possible that there are some reliable sources who know someone who knows someone who is on the periphery of the inner circle of the Sussexes. However, it's also possible that information is leaked by royal staff or courtiers. And sometimes, the leaks are condoned on purpose. But in regard to their private residences, I would guess the Sussexes wish many details and information to be kept as private and secure as possible.

In the case of who is designing the Sussexes' new home interiors, that's not a big deal to be noticed, confirmed and talked about. Since Meghan is very close to the Soho House family, the indication that Vicky Charles is her designer makes sense and sounds reasonable. Of course, that doesn't mean Meghan wants her home to look like Soho House interiors exactly. I'm sure there will be unique personal touches and requirements for a family's residential home, as opposed to interiors designed for a high-end luxury club/restaurant/entertainment chain.

Here's more background on Vicky Charles and her design firm:
About the Studio - Charles & Co
"Vicky works directly with every client - whether they have a strong vision of what they would like to achieve or a look [for] her to create a vision that resonates with their needs and lifestyle."

https://newsfeeds.media/meghan-hires-cutting-edge-soho-house-designer-for-frogmore-house/

Last edited:
Heck, it will be Harry and Meghan's home. The style will be exactly like they want it to be, as is correct. It is where they will be comfortable. If they want traditional, {ok}, or modern {their choice} or even Art Deco. Their home. I am sure no matter what the style it will be done tastefully. Maybe not our taste, but we don't and never will live or visit there. We all have relatives or friends that have expensively styles homes but the décor makes our eyes hurt even though they love it. I envy H & M ability to live somewhere that will be 100% exactly how they picture it to be and be comfortable living there. Lovely.

:previous: Yep, both inside and out. It will surely be quite lovely when completed: Comfortable and homey Frogmore Cottage on the Windsor estate.

We have an idea at least of Meghan's interior style preferences (in her Toronto home):
https://www.herworld.com/lifestyle/glam-your-home-decor-tips-meghan-markle
Meghan Markle’s Interior Design Style

“Meghan Markle’s Toronto Home reflects her California laid back style. In the living area the white linen sectional sofa looks perfectly cozy and slouchy. White flowing window treatments and white linens on her beds create an airy cool yet sophisticated vibe...

“I love the eclectic mix in Meghan’s Toronto home. Scandinavian modern dining furniture mixed with Boho elements like the Moroccan Beni Ourain wool rug under the dining table, and sheepskins thrown over the backs of chairs create an interesting combination of textures and styles...

"I hope Meghan is able to bring some of her California cool yet approachable style to England. I could see her mixing light natural fabrics and her contemporary art with family heirlooms and antiques. Her love of books, fresh flowers and signature scented candles could easily be incorporated into even the most grand space.”

Oh wow, the below article is a laugh riot in the sense that the featured paint company in conjunction with the publication, are obviously trying to trade-off on/ capitalize on what they are terming 'Meghan fever' or 'Meghan-effect.' To entice consumers, they are translating Meghan's clothing style to what little is known about her interior design aesthetic, via what we've publicly seen of her Toronto apartment:
https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/d...han-markle-effect-trend-home-interior-design/

Not only that, a supermarket chain is said to have got in on the 'Meghan-fever' action post the wedding apparently. Additional topics on M&H included, scrolling down in the above link...

Oh, apparently House Beautiful nabbed/ borrowed the text from this original source:
https://www.therugseller.co.uk/blogwp/meghan-markle-influencing-interiors-15986

"The Duchess of Sussex’s fashion style is one that seamlessly overlaps with interiors; it’s a style that defines the trend for everyday luxury, reflecting laid back elegance that is both timeless and chic."

Last edited:
I doubt any half decent Interior designer is limited to one style, just because Vicky Charles has met a brief from the Soho House company to met their brief does not mean that is the only style and look she is capable of.
That said, if Harry and Meghan love spending time at Soho House sites so much we can assume they probably quite like the style the sites have so even if Vicky Charles does only do one style at least its a style they like.

We have an idea at least of Meghan's interior style preferences (in her Toronto home):
https://www.herworld.com/lifestyle/glam-your-home-decor-tips-meghan-markle
Meghan Markle’s Interior Design Style

Guy sleeping on that chair, I die from cuteness! :lol:

Oh wow, the below article is a laugh riot in the sense that the featured paint company in conjunction with the publication, are obviously trying to trade-off on/ capitalize on what they are terming 'Meghan fever' or 'Meghan-effect.' To entice consumers, they are translating Meghan's clothing style to what little is known about her interior design aesthetic, via what we've publicly seen of her Toronto apartment:
https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/d...han-markle-effect-trend-home-interior-design/

Not only that, a supermarket chain is said to have got in on the 'Meghan-fever' action post the wedding apparently. Additional topics on M&H included, scrolling down in the above link...

Oh, apparently House Beautiful nabbed/ borrowed the text from this original source:
https://www.therugseller.co.uk/blogwp/meghan-markle-influencing-interiors-15986

"The Duchess of Sussex’s fashion style is one that seamlessly overlaps with interiors; it’s a style that defines the trend for everyday luxury, reflecting laid back elegance that is both timeless and chic."

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with this. It seems that they actually took into account her color preference, which isn't always the case when this type of thing happens.

:previous: Yes, the original article in the initial publication comes across more sophisticated, though the text and most accompanying pictures are the same. I think House Beautiful picked it up in order to promote the paint manufacturer, whereas the original piece is more straightforward. It is definitely professionally written, well-researched and put together by an actual design professional and writer. And I agree that there are definite influences the interest in Meghan is having across consumer industries, which can't be fully calculated as it is still in the process of happening.

Indeed, I do think there is something to be said for melding California casual chic aesthetic with modern English country style for interiors...
http://www.traditionalhome.com/category/beautiful-homes/and-after-casual-california-home?page=11
https://www.thespruce.com/english-country-style-home-decorating-tips-1976769

Vicky Charles design tips:
https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/home/vicky-charles-and-co-soho-house-interiors/

Last edited by a moderator:

With the royals there are staff around all the time. The staff are the 'sources' for a lot of the information that the media gets hold off simply because they do hear things while going about their normal duties. Given the relatively low pay of the staff many sell information. The media can't then reveal their sources as they would lose those sources who would also lose their jobs.

This has always been the case. Most of the lower levels of the royal household don't sign any sort of confidentiality agreement as they aren't expected to hear anything of any real import.

The royals themselves have also often used staff to get out their own leaks, as well as leaked directly to the media, but using the staff makes it easier for them to deny that they were the leak.

When there are 100s of people who work for a family, or organisation, there will always be leaks.

With the royals there are staff around all the time. The staff are the 'sources' for a lot of the information that the media gets hold off simply because they do hear things while going about their normal duties. Given the relatively low pay of the staff many sell information. The media can't then reveal their sources as they would lose those sources who would also lose their jobs.

This has always been the case. Most of the lower levels of the royal household don't sign any sort of confidentiality agreement as they aren't expected to hear anything of any real import.

The royals themselves have also often used staff to get out their own leaks, as well as leaked directly to the media, but using the staff makes it easier for them to deny that they were the leak.

When there are 100s of people who work for a family, or organisation, there will always be leaks.

Yet mundane infos like the name of their new labrador, their honeymoon location, their NYE location, that she worked with the people of the Grenfell tower fire kitchen for a year, or that she worked with the women of Smart Work for more than 6 months did not get out. I know leaks exist but come on, there are levels of information, and doubt that the style of their future home is the kind of infos low level staffs would have sorry

Yet mundane infos like the name of their new labrador, their honeymoon location, their NYE location, that she worked with the people of the Grenfell tower fire kitchen for a year, or that she worked with the women of Smart Work for more than 6 months did not get out. I know leaks exist but come on, there are levels of information, and doubt that the style of their future home is the kind of infos low level staffs would have sorry

It's possible, although I have no idea if this particular bit of news has any validity. There are always people around: secretaries, assistants, the guy bringing the coffee, the designer's assistant etc. I don't find the possibility of a leak here any more unlikely than any other leak.

Or no one felt they were important enough to publish.

Sometimes the media don't think something is worth the fall-out. They select what information that they are given they will publish and not just publish everything that they are told.

Low level staff are the ones that have a lot of information for the simple reason that they are largely forgotten in the normal day to day life of the royals. They go about their work and are largely not seen and are not noticed which is why they are so well informed.

I have friends who worked for the royals for many years and they told me that as they progressed through royal service they heard less and less they could sell as the royals became more guarded around them e.g. while one was simply a maid she heard a lot more information the media would pay for than she did as the head cleaner and even less as the assistant to the head housekeeper. The same with her husband - as a footman on general duties he heard more than he did as a private footman and then as an under butler.

:previous: That makes so much sense Iluvbertie. I saw your above post after I posted my thoughts below in response to alvinking. Thanks for your knowledgeable, level-headed information.

Thanks again to Iluvbertie for providing great input about staffing and leaks.

I don't think what Iluvbertie said is negated in any way by the fact that some things did not get leaked (such as Meghan's work with Grenfell Tower survivors, etc.) That's likely because top secret royal family info is more carefully guarded. Lower level staff may even sometimes be purposely thrown off regarding info the royals absolutely do not want to get out.

I think Meghan's Hollywood background once again comes in handy re the unavoidable palace intrigue that even the Queen herself knows she cannot effectively control due to the large and complicated nature of the royal firm.

Let's be real about the fact that Meghan & Harry likely do not care about certain details of their lives getting out such as who is going to design their home. I read that Vicky Charles is expected to design M&H's rental in the Cotswolds, which seems perfect because the rental is located near Soho Farmhouse territory in the Cotswolds. Possibly, M&H's permanent home at Frogmore Cottage will be designed by someone else. It's all speculation and guesswork, with much of this information (even purposeful approved leaks) very unlikely to ever be confirmed.

I hope we may eventually get a more in-depth, well-written biography (perhaps by Sally Bedell Smith) documenting the Meghan and Harry love story. Perhaps a lively and substantial book will come to fruition after some years pass with the Sussexes living happily at Frogmore Cottage, tackling the challenges and enjoying the good times.

Last edited:
Not surprised after it was plastered everywhere last week. Besides that’s three homes. With Frogmore being the main residence and them working mostly in London these days, it makes sense to just speed up the lease. Probably would have kept it until it ended but waves the point now?

Meghan may not want to be away from her doctors and hospital as she progresses. It would take a long time to get from the Cotswolds to London if one was in labor.

Given the timing, my money is on security. Besides, they’ve only got one year left, I doubt money would be the issue. Having a picture of it snapped with police car and all would be considered a breach of security. And given the uniqueness of the home, it’s not hard to find it if someone really wanted to.

I'm guessing they will go to Nott Cott until Frogmore is done. Not sure it will be done by March...they apparently have a huge reno going on.

LaRae

Makes sense, especially with the address being known and perhaps the progress on Frogmore Cottage is going along faster than is reported.

Doubt it. I still have my doubts if it’ll be done by April. They just put up that tent on Frogmore.

From the sound of all being done...I am thinking it might be early summer before it's ready.

LaRae

I think Emily Andrews crossed the line by invading Harry and Meghan's privacy. Two weeks ago, she published an info about their home. So yeah, I think they are moving out due to the security issues.

The most likely factor is to protect open areas of renovations and the materials to be used from the elements.

Why they put up a massive tent on Frogmore Cottage?

Protect the structure and probably also to prevent pics being taken using drones etc.

LaRae

:previous:That is exactly what was said by Omid Scobie on his On Heir podcast yesterday. The tent protects the property from drones taking photos. There is also massive security around the area.

In addition, Emily Andrew's stated on the same podcast that renovations are moving at a cracking pace on Frogmore Cottage. She also indicated that all plans pertaining to renovations of Frogmore Cottage have been removed from the local planning website. Don't know how true that is.

So it is being reported that Harry and Meghan have cancelled the lease on their Cotswolds home early and are moving out in March.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...million-Cotswolds-country-bolthole-weeks.html

Makes complete sense.

> Once they move into Frogmore Cottage, they will not need the place in the Cotswolds. FC will fulfil the role of principal residence and country home.

> If they wanted a country home in the longer term, they would buy one or get one on the existing royal estates, rather than renting.

> This pattern is also consistent with Anne, Andrew and Edward where they have a large home outside London, and a pied-a-terre in London. None of them have country homes in addition to their principal homes.

> This pattern is also consistent with Anne, Andrew and Edward where they have a large home outside London, and a pied-a-terre in London. None of them have country homes in addition to their principal homes.

Also, within the group of people you've mentioned, Anne is the only one that actually owns the property that is her main residence. The rest are housed either on the Sandringham or Balmoral estate (Amner Hall and Birkhall) or are properties of the Crown Estate.

This makes me realize that whatever renovations and repairs that are done to the properties (outside of Anne's which is never made public) are done with an eye to the future so that perhaps when George's children marry and start having kids, they will have the opportunity to reside in these properties like their ancestors did.

Also, within the group of people you've mentioned, Anne is the only one that actually owns the property that is her main residence. The rest are housed either on the Sandringham or Balmoral estate (Amner Hall and Birkhall) or are properties of the Crown Estate.

Andrew and Edward's properties may be owned by the Crown Estate, but they are long leases that were paid for in arms length transactions by the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom