The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Has the palace announced that Harry and Meghan are to live in Frogmore Cottage, or is this just a made up story by Emily Andrews of The Sun? And all the other media have jumped onto this story as being true.
First of all they were to have apartment one at KP.
Then it was Adelaide Cottage at Windsor.
Now it is Frogmore Cottage. Are we being played for fools here, or has this story been corroborated by The Palace.
Yes KP made the official announcement that they are moving into Frogmore Cottage.

LaRae

Old 11-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Royal Highness

Fantastic research presented on this website!
Royal Musings

Old 11-30-2018, 08:01 PM
Majesty

Yes, Marlene Koenig, whose site it is, is an author on the royals and a great researcher. I think she was a poster here at one time.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

There has been an official announcement from KP https://www.indiatoday.in/lifestyle/...327-2018-11-26 shows the official announcement with the KP letterhead.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Royal Musings
Thank you, Terri Terri. for this article on Frogmore Cottage. The following pictures and stories were also worth reading.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Most museums are pretty grand but I wouldn't want to live in one.

H & M would be very limited in what they could change and certain rooms seem to be decorated for historical purposes so they couldn't even redecorate.
The King of Sweden lives in Drottningholm, an Unesco world heritage site. The King of the Netherlands is on the verge to move to a palace constructed by the parents of William III and Mary. Centuries old patrimonium of great beauty. We can be sure that both royals will enjoy modern, comfortable and luxurious apartments inside these monuments hors categorie.

We can say the same about all these British aristocrat families living in their grand ancestral estates. So I do not agree with your assessment as if living in Frogmore House would be like living in a museum. As long as all renovations are done with respect for the monumental status of a property, a lot is possible. Note that also the cottage has a monumental status and also in there the couple can not lay solar panels on the rooftop, to say something, without required permission.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Pranter and Bertie.
I haven't been home much and when I did get the chance to look at this site there was a lot of discussion and yet I never came across a definate declaration that it was official. It is a sad state of affairs that these days we can no longer trust anything the media says without official confirmation.

I hope they do justice with the renovations to accommodate a modern couple while keeping the integrity of whatever historic parts are left over after so many years of change and additions.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Thank you Pranter and Bertie.
I haven't been home much and when I did get the chance to look at this site there was a lot of discussion and yet I never came across a definate declaration that it was official. It is a sad state of affairs that these days we can no longer trust anything the media says without official confirmation.

I hope they do justice with the renovations to accommodate a modern couple while keeping the integrity of whatever historic parts are left over after so many years of change and additions.
Good point. The most official thing I could find was Richard Palmer stating that Kensington Palace has confirmed the move on his Twitter profile though I checked KP's Twitter and there's been no post about the move from them.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Good point. The most official thing I could find was Richard Palmer stating that Kensington Palace has confirmed the move on his Twitter profile though I checked KP's Twitter and there's been no post about the move from them.
This press release though seems rather official.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
This press release though seems rather official.
Well; I'd looked through the earlier parts of the thread so clearly missed that. As often I'm now a little embarrassed at making such an obvious mistake!
Thanks for posting.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Royal Musings
This is outstanding. Thank you very much for finding & posting it.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Well; I'd looked through the earlier parts of the thread so clearly missed that. As often I'm now a little embarrassed at making such an obvious mistake!
Thanks for posting.
No need to feel embarrassed. There are so many posts, so easy to miss the earlier post (by another member) with the press release.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

....And again the stupid story of moving to create distance between the families. I especially found the part about it being “rare for a member of the Royal family as important as Harry not to have a London base.” Umm, he’s only as important as Anne, Andrew and Edward-none of them have London bases.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Royal musings article on the history of the Cottage is very thorough. Thank you Terri for the link.
This little cottage has quite a history of different people living there.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've seen some grumbling about the fact that the government (aka people) are having to pay for the renovations (aside from the furnishings) ...I've been surprised there haven't been articles about it yet. Some comments made that they should be having to contribute to all the costs.

LaRae
Old 12-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Courtier

I know I am probably being picky but there is something that is really starting to annoy me. The press keeps mixing up Frogmore House and Frogmore Cottage. Stories about the cottage keep talking about how romantic it will be because that is where they had the evening wedding reception and that is after talking about how it had been broken up for staff housing and must be put back to a single family home. They print pictures of Frogmore House and say that is the new house. I realize that a lot of this is the DM and they don't seem to believe in research or proof reading. They also seem to be the source for the foreign media as well.

Sorry to be a grump but it is cold and wet here today and the weather has put me in a bad mood.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I've seen some grumbling about the fact that the government (aka people) are having to pay for the renovations (aside from the furnishings) ...I've been surprised there haven't been articles about it yet. Some comments made that they should be having to contribute to all the costs.

LaRae

It's a Crown Estate property. One can expect the owner of a property to make it fit for leasing out. Harry and Meghan will pay for the interior decorations.

INstead of saying that the taxayer pays for it - which is blatantly untrue - they should say that the queen will use part of the souverain grant (which is not payed by the taxpayer!) for the renovations. Which means the roperty still belongs to the Crown Estate, the lease Harry will have to pay goes into the revenue of the Crown Estate but it's not the Crown Estate who pays for it but the queen uses her part of the Crown Estate revenue to pay for it. Let's face it: just like the Duchies of Cornwall for the heir and Lancaster for the monarch, the Crown Estate was always the belongings that historically payed for the costs of the Crown: meaning all costs for the building and upkeep of the Royal palaces, for security, for the court (including feeding etc. of the courtiers). This became at one point difficult to manage, so king George III. exchanged the whole of the Crown Estate's management and its revenue to parliament and got the infamous "civil list" for himself and his family from parliament. As the Crown Estate's revenues alone could easily pay for the civil list and in addition created a steady income for the state, you can say that George III. actually started paying taxes.
Today, the queen gets around a quarter of the revenues and the rest goes to paying for eg parliament's work, the upkeep of Westminster palace, payment for the people who work for the MPs etc. So instead of costing the taxpayer money, the queen pays through the Crown Estate for things that the taxpayer should normally pay for.

So, no, the government is not paying for Harry's new home, his grandmother is, even though the estate of the Crown should pay for it IMHO, because Harry is so close to the Crown that the Crown should see to it that he has a residence fit for his high-ranking position in the Royal family. As for the cost of security: Harry is not responsible for the fact that his place in society makes him endangered. It is society's duty to protect the citizens. And to pay for it.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
...And again the stupid story of moving to create distance between the families. I especially found the part about it being “rare for a member of the Royal family as important as Harry not to have a London base.” Umm, he’s only as important as Anne, Andrew and Edward-none of them have London bases.
Andrew and Edward do in fact have “London bases”. They each have apartments in BP. Princess Anne has an apartment at St James’s Palace.

There’s also the fact all three that you mentioned, just like other senior working royals of the family, either have/live in mansions or palaces as official residence. That won’t be the case with Harry & his wife once they move to begin life with their baby in the home granted them by the queen as official residence, Frogmore Cottage.

So you are actually quite wrong
Old 12-02-2018, 05:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Reem View Post
Errr...that assertion is simply not true!

Andrew and Edward do in fact have “London bases”. They each have apartments in BP. Princess Anne has an apartment at St James’s Palace.

There’s also the fact all three that you mentioned, just like other senior working royals of the family, either have/live in mansions or palaces as official residence. That won’t be the case with Harry & his wife once they move to begin life with their baby in the home granted them by the queen as official residence, Frogmore Cottage.

So you are actually quite wrong
They have never said the Sussexes are giving up Nott Cott so if they keep that, they will still have a London space. That’s all the Queen’s 3 younger children have-small apartments for brief overnight or short stays—not London bases. The London apartments in BP and St James are not their “official residences.” Their official residences are Gatcombe, Royal Lodge and Bagshot.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
They have never said the Sussexes are giving up Nott Cott so if they keep that, they will still have a London space. That’s all the Queen’s 3 younger children have-small apartments for brief overnight or short stays—not London bases. The London apartments in BP and St James are not their “official residences.” Their official residences are Gatcombe, Royal Lodge and Bagshot.
You stated that Anne, Andrew and Edward had no London base, and you were categorically wrong.

I never mentioned h/m retaining NC either way, and it’s NOT spacious enough for a visiting growing family. In any case Frogmore Cottage has been announced as the couple’s official residence.

Closed Thread