The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 08:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Thanks for that average space comparison between Nott Cott and typical abodes for young families in England and Wales.

There's a link and references earlier in this thread or in the Future Homes for Prince Harry thread regarding the fact that Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester grew up in Apt 1 (not 1A - that's where the Cambridges reside). Originally, Apt 1 and Apt 1A were one huge residence at KP, which was later divided into two residences, which is likely why the adjoining door exists. Apt 1A where the Cambridges live used to belong to Princess Margaret. The Cambridges briefly resided at Nott Cott before moving into Apt 1A. William and Harry grew up at KP and Highgrove. Later, after graduating from Eton, they lived at Clarence House with their father when they weren't at university, in the military, and traveling the world. There's an anecdote about William and Harry as teenagers having their own luxurious club-like space designed for them at Highgrove, where they entertained their friends.

Prince Richard's father, Prince Henry Duke of Gloucester, was the fourth son of King George V. The Gloucesters also used to live at their country estate, Barnwell Manor, which is now rented out to an architectural antiques company. You can google the Gloucesters and Kensington Palace for more information. There are also videos on Youtube about the residences at KP. Richard's mother, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester (she was a princess in her own right) used to live with her son and his family in Apt 1. There was a dashing older brother, William, who died in 1972, who would have inherited the dukedom had he lived. Princess Alice passed away in 2004 at nearly 103 years of age.

I believe Apt 1 has 20 rooms, and Apt 1A has 21 rooms (total rooms not bedrooms). I don't know about public/privacy barriers, but I'm sure there's information available. This is a bit off-topic for this thread.
But Prince Richard never grew up at Apt 1 ! The Gloucesters lived at York House, St James Palace!
Apt 1 was occupied by Princess LOuise, duchess of Argyll until her death in 1939. Then the apartment was divided when Princess Marina, duchess of Kent moved in in 1954/1955, the 1A being the home of Princess Margaret from 1962.
After the death of Marina in 1968, the Gloucesters moved in around 1970. Hardly a childhood home !

Old 11-25-2018, 08:44 AM
Commoner

Thank you for the additional info, MajaMia and Nico!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Jd9...sz0XnTIdW6h2AA
https://www.rct.uk/collection/210046...ottage-windsor
https://pin.it/e74mwbl7kowrfs
the front of Frogmore Cottage
Last is from the 6:34 min "Frogmore House and Gardens" YouTube video shared, thank you!
[Link: https://youtu.be/f1Y0hjsQM4w]

Old 11-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think privacy will be an issue. The gardens are only open a few day a year for a handful of tours, a few hedges here, a fence there and the house can be pretty much obscured from view. That picture from the youtube clip makes it look very nice, grand but not overly so. Should make a lovely family home.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I don't think privacy will be an issue. The gardens are only open a few day a year for a handful of tours, a few hedges here, a fence there and the house can be pretty much obscured from view.
I agree, I don't see any security issues that are to tricky to handle.
Different countries and different contexts, but many European royals and both British and European nobles live in castles, palaces, houses and parks that are partly open to the public, some all year round, without any problems.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

As far as the privacy and security go...it's a pretty open area and they are right on a road...unless they put up a big fence I don't see how they would have any privacy when going outside.

The paps and tourists just have to stand there and snap pics.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2018, 10:46 AM
Royal Highness

IMO, Just like they did with Anmer Hall, they will do at Frogmore Cottage. There will no longer be a route that will include going past Frogmore Cottage. That is, any tours at Frogmore House will no longer involve being able to acess Frogmore Cottage. Probably new fencing and hedges will be installed as well.

I also think that extra security would apply to the people/tour groups who will have access to Frogmore House. Whether the house will open at the same times as before, we will have to wait and see.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm sure that Harry and Meghan both realize that Windsor is a huge tourist draw year round and also realize that the security forces in Windsor know what they're doing.

They've been able to conduct a quiet courtship in and around the Windsor Great Park area with no one being the wiser. I'm sure that measures to insure the privacy of Frogmore Cottage have been discussed and a plan of action has been drawn up to the specifications Harry and Meghan can be happy with.

I think primarily the reason why they've chosen Windsor and Frogmore Cottage is basically because they love the area, the cottage itself is appealing to the both of them as a home and that its location isn't that far remote from London and their office. Everything else including the history is a bonus as been stated before.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
As far as the privacy and security go...it's a pretty open area and they are right on a road...unless they put up a big fence I don't see how they would have any privacy when going outside.

The paps and tourists just have to stand there and snap pics.

LaRae
But the road they're right next to is a private road that's part of the Windsor Home Park series of private roads. Looking at Google Street View, there are physical barriers to entry at all the entrances into the Windsor Home Park. The closest publically accessible pathway is the Long Walk, which is pedestrian only, but that's almost half a kilometer away and there's already some fairly significant screening fences, trees and shrubbery between the Long Walk and the Frogmore Estate.

The footpath that Patricia Treble posted a picture from is only open during those few days when Frogmore is open (which is why, I suspect, it's not considered a "public footpath" for the planning document purposes), and will be easy enough to close off (and possibly just remove altogether and sod over).
Old 11-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
IMO, Just like they did with Anmer Hall, they will do at Frogmore Cottage. There will no longer be a route that will include going past Frogmore Cottage. That is, any tours at Frogmore House will no longer involve being able to acess Frogmore Cottage. Probably new fencing and hedges will be installed as well.

I also think tbat extra security would apply to the people/tour groups who will have access to Frogmore House. Whether the house will open at the same times as before, we will have to wait and ser.
Yes - and this means they should not be able to move in at the start of the year, my guess. A lot depends on if the cottage previously had been re-wired, plumbed, lead paint abated and had the asbestos removed. As the property has been in modern use, there is a chance of that.

Hopefully, Harry while chatting to the walkabout crowds will let something telling drop like "I hear we are lucky that the asbestos was removed by the previous users. William told me that was dicey in their flat." He's good for a telling leak, like that.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

According to the website of the Royal Collection Trust, Frogmore is used for three charity days in June and open to group tours on most days in August for either a normal tour or a private guided evening tour.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
But the road they're right next to is a private road that's part of the Windsor Home Park series of private roads. Looking at Google Street View, there are physical barriers to entry at all the entrances into the Windsor Home Park. The closest publically accessible pathway is the Long Walk, which is pedestrian only, but that's almost half a kilometer away and there's already some fairly significant screening fences, trees and shrubbery between the Long Walk and the Frogmore Estate.

The footpath that Patricia Treble posted a picture from is only open during those few days when Frogmore is open (which is why, I suspect, it's not considered a "public footpath" for the planning document purposes), and will be easy enough to close off (and possibly just remove altogether and sod over).

Ah duh..didn't realize they were private roads. Ok so they are pretty enclosed then, no one is going to just drive by unless they have a right to be on the estate itself.

If I were them I'd want that footpath re-routed but not sure they will do that.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Royal Highness

Looks like Doria will be staying at Frogmore

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...ands-gran.html
Old 11-25-2018, 12:59 PM

Had No Idea This May Not Be True

glad i'm reading this thread - the "news" was covered by CNN here in the States so I just assumed it was true. Now reading these comments am realizing it may not be.

also didn't realize Frogmore House and Cottage were near the public paths. Thought Duke and Duchess of Sussex would be moving there for more privacy. The press including paparazzi may give this move coverage than any baby since William.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Looks like Doria will be staying at Frogmore

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...ands-gran.html

Oh well I wouldn't put much stock into that article.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2018, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Its funny too that with CNN and news channels broadcasting the news about Frogmore Cottage, even my hubby remarked on it by chastising me for not letting him in on the big news. Frankly, I didn't think he'd be interested.

The public paths, as has been pointed out, aren't so very public as they're within Windsor Home Park (I get the Windsor Great Park and Windsor Home Park confused) and its all private land owned by the Crown Estate. Its not a place that the general public can just go roaming through on their own although there are tours and such available.

I don't think privacy is going to be too much of an issue for Harry and Meghan though. They'll have everything worked out before they move in.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:32 PM
Serene Highness

Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

I assume Harry and Meghan chose Windsor because they like it and it was an available option for them. It was made clear many times Windsor was special to them. So, they decided to live there. (Whereas even if William and Kate wanted their permanent primary home to be Windsor-who knows really- I doubt that was a realistic option for them. London/KP with a country home was probably always the plan.)

I don’t think the move to Windsor was because they’re not getting along with William and Kate.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

I love that the Sussexes are at Windsor...it's romantic considering their attachment to the place. They will have a very different role too.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2018, 02:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Is there ANY actual corroboration that Ms Ragland has relocated to the UK ?
Old 11-25-2018, 03:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Is there ANY actual corroboration that Ms Ragland has relocated to the UK ?
Not that I have seen anything to that effect.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Nor I. It seems that some people take the Daily Fail as gospel truth and post it here as an established fact. Its giving the Fail much more credence than they deserve in my book.