The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-26-2020, 04:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
I'm surprised. I was actually expecting it to be uglier. Maybe the other parts are, but it seems like a very nice house.
It's always struck me as a very comfortable looking house. Almost cozy were it not for its great size.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It's always struck me as a very comfortable looking house. Almost cozy were it not for its great size.
And always reminds me of Christmas!

Old 11-26-2020, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I can see why if she weren't Sovereign, Elizabeth II would retire here and play country lady. The house is much more beautiful on the inside than its outward appearance sometimes suggests.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
And always reminds me of Christmas!
Yes indeed! And it's also definitely a let's stay in & get toasty by the fire with a book sort of house.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I can see why if she weren't Sovereign, Elizabeth II would retire here and play country lady. The house is much more beautiful on the inside than its outward appearance sometimes suggests.
Yes I agree. I'm not a fan of Norfolk (love hills!) but there is something appealing about the remoteness & low population.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:56 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"Early Mornings in the Gardens..." Magical!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Enu8awZW...name=4096x4096
What a photo! It truly could win prizes. It also shows how beautiful the grounds are, and one hopes the family get to enjoy them.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A look inside the church of St Mary Magdalene in Sandringham.

Its more richly decorated inside than I had thought, very beautiful.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:18 PM
Majesty

I grew up in north Norfolk and have always thought that St Mary's was a pretty church. Quite dark in the winter though, small and cosy I suppose, which makes it the same as the House in many ways.

I do think that the exterior of Sandringham house is ugly, a typical mid-Victorian hodge podge of yearning back to the Elizabethan and other eras. IMO, the interior cosiness of Sandringham House comes from it always having been a very private dwelling, bought for Bertie Prince of Wales before his marriage and intended to be a genuine family home that would also be suitable for entertaining close kith and kin. I do wonder about the future of it though, but that's for another time.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I will always associate St Mary Magdalene in Sandringham with Christmas!
Old 12-15-2020, 07:00 PM
Commoner

It is a very pretty church, inside and out! I wonder what Prince Charles thinks of Sandringham. I can't see him selling off the property, but he might retain it and re-purpose. I do know he has fond memories of being at the beach in summer.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:14 PM
Majesty

I think Charles has some fond memories of childhood spent there. I knew someone who took him on evening wildlife expeditions around the estate when he was a young teenager. However as an adult he seems very much more focused on Highgrove and Birkhall.

The estate remains a favourite of the royals for shooting so I don't think the estate will go. Not so sure about the house, though. Charles and Camilla enjoy hosting friends at Birkhall but in future the Scottish Question may loom up more and more and possibly the future of Sandringham house may rest on that.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness

Sandringham is William country base, so he is the one who will likely keep it going. It's all conjecture, but I have seen comments that Balmoral may be the estate most likely to be divested of or downsized.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles has announced plans re the farming on the Sandringham Estate so I think its fair to say he has a key role in its future. Charles and Camilla have been known and seen using Sandringham outside of the Queen's Christmas stay there so clearly have some affection/time for the place.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:38 PM
Serene Highness

I think Sandringham is a very appealing house in a lovely rural part of England. If a little flat.

Balmoral is in spectacular country but I find the castle rather gloomy. And there's possibly a wee bit too much tartan. Like being in Brigadoon.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:42 PM
Courtier

The Sandringham Flower Show, scheduled at 28th July 2021 will be cancelled due to current circumstances of COVID-19 pandemic.
Quote:
Sandringham Flower Show
28th July 2021 Cancelled
It is with great sadness that for only the second time in peacetime the Committee and Trustees of the Sandringham Flower Show have decided that in the current circumstances the 2021 Show, scheduled for 28th July, should not now take place. We know that our exhibitors, competitors, suppliers and partners put great effort into planning for the Show and we hope that by taking this decision now we have at least given them some clarity and prevented unnecessary expense and work.
Quote:
2021 Coronavirus Statement
The Committee and Trustees of the Sandringham Flower Show confirm with great sadness that the 2021 Show, scheduled for 28th July, will not now take place in view of the enormous uncertainty still surrounding all matters to do with the Covid-19 pandemic.

The Sandringham Flower Show Chairman, David Reeve, said, “While we are all desperately sad not to be returning to the Showground this year as we had hoped to do, we do not feel that we can mount the Show while still protecting the welfare of our visitors, exhibitors, competitors and volunteers. We hope that the easing of the Covid-19 pandemic over the course of 2021 will allow us to welcome everybody back in July 2022."
https://www.sandringhamflowershow.org.uk/
Old 01-08-2021, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The first of many events no doubt but to be expected.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:00 PM
Courtier

I feel like crawling in a hole and pull a blanket over my head. Everything cancelled, the flower show, Royal Ascot Trooping of the Colors, Garden parties, what else is left? no State visits, no fancy Tiara events. The year 2020 was a disaster, hope this vaccine works as it should and we get some normal back what ever that may be? Hope and pray.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
I feel like crawling in a hole and pull a blanket over my head. Everything cancelled, the flower show, Royal Ascot Trooping of the Colors, Garden parties, what else is left? no State visits, no fancy Tiara events. The year 2020 was a disaster, hope this vaccine works as it should and we get some normal back what ever that may be? Hope and pray.

Off topic but has the Queen had the shop?
Old 01-08-2021, 08:44 PM
Majesty

What shop? As far as I know the Queen does not have any shop of her own.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:18 PM
Serene Highness

The 'shop' is probably a typo for 'shot' and I have not read anywhere that the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have received their COVID-19 vaccinations or 'jab': this seems to be the British word
Do DRF members based in the UK know the status of the Queen's 'jab'?