Osborne House, Isle of Wight

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you imagine summer on the lovely Isle of Wight (where my great great grandmother hailed from) ;)

Indeed. One of my favourite places. And a decent summer climate for our lovely if sometimes damp isles.?

Indeed. One of my favourite places. And a decent summer climate for our lovely if sometimes damp isles.?

To quote queen Victoria "impossible to imagine a prettier spot" ;)

To quote queen Victoria "impossible to imagine a prettier spot" ;)

Albert said it reminded him of the Bay of Naples but since I've not been to Naples I don't know.:lol:

Can you imagine summer holidays with the RF at Osborne House rather than at Balmoral?

Can you imagine summer holidays with the RF at Osborne House rather than at Balmoral?

Yes, but considering the royals go to Balmoral in the summer, they should go to Osborne in the winter instead.

Not really because they enjoy the deer stalking and grouse shooting season in Scotland.

Yes, but considering the royals go to Balmoral in the summer, they should go to Osborne in the winter instead.

They have Sandringham for the winter and all their country pursuits of that season are there.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think given the choice I would choose Osborne House - I sailed past there once on a cruise ship one evening and it looked idyllic. But indeed, it's not as remote and private as Balmoral and the British royals don't seem to be sea-side kind of people (the younger generations are of course when they holiday aborad).

Nowadays when the RF are bothered by the Press, I think the remoteness of Balmoral is a plus point, at least the older ones like Charles want to go somewhere that they can escape from London and pressmen. And if they want seaside fun they can go somewhere abroad... where the weather will be better...

I've been to Osbourne House several times and I love both the inside and outside. The island in general deserves its reputation, although it has its not so nice areas as well. I'm sure it was an idyllic holiday home. However yes it's much more exposed than any of their current homes where they go to relax.

They do have other beautiful UK seas side properties as we saw with Dolphin House on Tresco and the various places the Duchy of Cornwall owns. I don't think they're too hard up for seaside fun if they want and that's before we get to places outside the UK we know they visit regularly.

Not really because they enjoy the deer stalking and grouse shooting season in Scotland.

They have Sandringham for the winter and all their country pursuits of that season are there.

Oh right, I forgot about Sandringham.

A look inside Queen Victoria's and Prince Albert's private rooms at Osborne House in 1959.

A look inside Queen Victoria's and Prince Albert's private rooms at Osborne House in 1959.

Queen Victoria's bedroom was not unlocked to the public until 1954. I wonder why the present queen gave permission?

Queen Victoria's bedroom was not unlocked to the public until 1954. I wonder why the present queen gave permission?

The House was opened to the public also in 1954 though not all rooms were opened to the public.

English Heritage have done a great job keeping Osborne in good shape. Hopefully Osborne will be greeting visitors in 2054.:flowers:

Tsar Nicholas II and the Romanovs visited Osborne House while visiting King Edward VII of England.

Had i been King of UK, i would easily take Osbourne during the summer... Don’t get me wrong - i love Scotland But i wouldn’t go there for my only summer holiday every year. In July and August i want to be by the sea...
I’d much rather go to Scotland in the spring and autumn...

Though Balmoral is much more remote and undisturbed than Osbourne so i can perfectly understand why especially the older generation wants to go there instead...

An absolutely beautiful tree at Osborne this year, where Victoria chose to spend Christmas after Albert's death.

A tour of Osborne House with Curator Michael Hunter and Sally Taylor

Back
Top Bottom