The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 09-01-2018, 09:11 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 7,293
When Queen Victoria became interested in India the Durbar Room was added to Osborne House. The new wing had Moghul-style plasterwork and arches. The design was that of Bhai Ram Sing, with the assistance of the director of the Lahore Museum, Lockwood Kipling.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-19-2018, 06:23 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 31,308
Osborne Cottage on the edge of the state goes up for sale it was once the home of Princess Beatrice ,daughter of Queen Victoria.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ouse-sale.html
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-02-2020, 09:54 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Florida, United States
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
I have seen pictures and videos and Osborne is a very Nice House. Too bad Edward gave it to the State, Queen Victoria wanted the House to stay in the Royal Family.

Also does know If Queen Elizabeth has ever been to Osborne House?
Yes, I wish it had stayed in the family also since Queen Victoria loved it so much. I wish they could get it back, it's beautiful!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-10-2020, 04:26 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
Yes, I wish it had stayed in the family also since Queen Victoria loved it so much. I wish they could get it back, it's beautiful!
Yes it is lovely. The beach is very pretty with great views. As a visitor you're not allowed to walk directly down the valley to the sea but use a rather dark side path instead. I can imagine children excitedly running down to the beach on a warm day!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-10-2020, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes it is lovely. The beach is very pretty with great views. As a visitor you're not allowed to walk directly down the valley to the sea but use a rather dark side path instead. I can imagine children excitedly running down to the beach on a warm day!
Osborne has a magical atmosphere about it and it would indeed have been lovely if it had stayed with the royal family. The Queen's children, grandchildren and now great grandchildren could have had wonderful Summers there on the beach and I'm sure Prince Philip would have loved to have took them out sailing.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-10-2020, 04:57 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Osborne has a magical atmosphere about it and it would indeed have been lovely if it had stayed with the royal family. The Queen's children, grandchildren and now great grandchildren could have had wonderful Summers there on the beach and I'm sure Prince Philip would have loved to have took them out sailing.
I agree. I suppose the only issue now would be one of privacy but the Spanish royal family have their villa by the sea so it's not impossible.

The Highlands are wonderful of course but the weather at Balmoral can be pretty grim even in the summer.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-10-2020, 05:43 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,765
English Heritage has sold off houses before because they couldn't afford them but I doubt Osbourne House would ever be one of them for a number of reasons. And bringing it up to modern living standards would be very expensive and controversial. It would not be "royals nicking the nation's day tripping spot". It's an amazing place and I'm somewhat glad we can see it in it's Victorian state.

Princess Beatrice visited Osbourne House when she did a tour of the Island a few years ago, as well as Carisbrooke Castle where her namesake lived for a time as Governor. A tour a friend of the my family helped organise that got very little publicity:

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...isle-of-wight/
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-10-2020, 05:54 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,608
Thanks for the link. Interesting. Princess Beatrice looks ridiculously so like Victoria doesn't she.

Osborne is gem & I agree it won't be sold.

Interestingly the family retained ownership of next door Barton Manor for another twenty years after Victoria's death. I wonder why George V sold it. I would have kept hold of it. Such a lovely spot the Isle of Wight.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-10-2020, 07:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I agree. I suppose the only issue now would be one of privacy but the Spanish royal family have their villa by the sea so it's not impossible.

The Highlands are wonderful of course but the weather at Balmoral can be pretty grim even in the summer.
Balmoral and Sandringham also don't have much by way of children's entertainment. Osborne, by contrast, was built with the Royal children very much in mind hence the Swiss Cottage they played in; their own little gardens and gardening tools which are still kept there; the beach huts and regular days out sailing. Your also right in saying the area gets very good weather for Summer holidays. I have a feeling that if it had stayed with the Royal Family they would probably have established a tradition of spending the Summer between there and Balmoral.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-13-2020, 05:07 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,873
I visited Osborne last month, sadly couldn't go inside the house as it hadn't yet been opened due to the pandemic but got to explore the gardens and Osborne Bay - which was actually one of my favourite beaches in the Isle of Wight. We were also wondering why the BRF no longer use Osborne, it would be a lovely wedding location or even family holiday home like Victoria originally used it for. The area has a kind of microclimate compared to the rest of England, so it's a great place to spend the summer.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-14-2020, 03:59 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,608
It was sold by Edward VII because it was too expensive to run Sandringham, Balmoral & Osborne. It took him six years to pay off debts he had accumulated as Prince of Wales. He did this out of savings from the Civil List.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-14-2020, 04:17 PM
Prinsara's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 1,398
Unfortunately, Edward VII needed to keep Balmoral for political reasons and was never going to get rid of Sandringham ("his" house) over the lovely Osborne (which unfortunately had too many stressful parental associations).

As Bertie reasonably said, he would have kept them all "but I cannot live in five places!" So he kept the ugly one, alas.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-14-2020, 04:43 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Unfortunately, Edward VII needed to keep Balmoral for political reasons and was never going to get rid of Sandringham ("his" house) over the lovely Osborne (which unfortunately had too many stressful parental associations).

As Bertie reasonably said, he would have kept them all "but I cannot live in five places!" So he kept the ugly one, alas.
Do you know why Barton Manor next door to Osborne was sold by George V? It's such a lovely house. I have looked but not found an answer.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-14-2020, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,532
I guess getting to the Isle of Wight would have been a proper journey in those days so would have been a big commitment to visit regularly to make use of the property. I guess he could have kept it as in investment but then again having someone to oversee it would have been tricky too.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-14-2020, 04:53 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 31,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Do you know why Barton Manor next door to Osborne was sold by George V? It's such a lovely house. I have looked but not found an answer.
He sold in 1922 to the Tillett Family who owned it till the mid 50's and it was sold again and has had numerous owners since then!

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/proper...for-sale-13558
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-14-2020, 05:01 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I guess getting to the Isle of Wight would have been a proper journey in those days so would have been a big commitment to visit regularly to make use of the property. I guess he could have kept it as in investment but then again having someone to oversee it would have been tricky too.
Yes that sounds plausable. Maybe they could have spent alternate summers on the island & in the Highlands as suggested further up the thread. It's a much smaller house of course but that would be part of its appeal to people who normally live in such huge houses I would think.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-14-2020, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
He sold in 1922 to the Tillett Family who owned it till the mid 50's and it was sold again and has had numerous owners since then!

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/proper...for-sale-13558
Thank you for the link.

So the Tsar was entertained there!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-14-2020, 05:04 PM
Prinsara's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes that sounds plausable. Maybe they could have spent alternate summers on the island & in the Highlands as suggested further up the thread. It's a much smaller house of course but that would be part of its appeal to people who normally live in such huge houses I would think.
Don't mistake me, it was about not having the money to keep up five (or three) places. But given the financial situation, Osborne was gone.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-14-2020, 05:10 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Don't mistake me, it was about not having the money to keep up five (or three) places. But given the financial situation, Osborne was gone.
Yes I understand. The running costs for Barton would be tiny compared to Osborne of course so it's not surprising that they kept it for another twenty years. It's just a shame they still don't own Barton Manor as they could spend alternate years in Scotland & the Isle of Wight if they did.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-14-2020, 05:33 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 31,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes I understand. The running costs for Barton would be tiny compared to Osborne of course so it's not surprising that they kept it for another twenty years. It's just a shame they still don't own Barton Manor as they could spend alternate years in Scotland & the Isle of Wight if they did.
Can you imagine summer on the lovely Isle of Wight (where my great great grandmother hailed from)
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Person in the House! vee Member Introductions 4 03-06-2008 11:24 PM
House of Saud, News and Current Events 1: April-November 2005 Aussey Royal Family of Saudi Arabia 190 11-11-2005 01:40 PM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baptism birth britain britannia british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf hello! highgrove history hochberg house of windsor jack brooksbank japan jewellery książ castle line of succession list of rulers luxembourg medical meghan markle monarchy mongolia nepal nepalese royal jewels prince constantijn prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen maxima solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan tradition uae customs united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×