Kensington Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:

Her apartment landscape must have been amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her apartment landscape must have been amazing.

Beyond amazing! I visited that day with my Mum and sister and when the Obama's visited my Mum said, "Can you believe that we stood behind those doors in Princess Margaret's hallway and we've got great knowledge of William and Kate's house whilst the media are still guessing?"

Beyond amazing! I visited that day with my Mum and sister and when the Obama's visited my Mum said, "Can you believe that we stood behind those doors in Princess Margaret's hallway and we've got great knowledge of William and Kate's house whilst the media are still guessing?"
Wow so jealous you got an extraordinary experience! Wow I wonder if the other apartments are as amazing as Will and Kate’s? I know Apartment 1 has 20 rooms!

Wow so jealous you got an extraordinary experience! Wow I wonder if the other apartments are as amazing as Will and Kate’s? I know Apartment 1 has 20 rooms!

My understanding is that the apartments are not very similar, and are in a number of different sizes. Apartments occupied by the Cambridge's and Gloucester's are meant to be the best, followed by that occupied by Prince and Princess Michael.

My understanding is that the apartments are not very similar, and are in a number of different sizes. Apartments occupied by the Cambridge's and Gloucester's are meant to be the best, followed by that occupied by Prince and Princess Michael.

Interesting. Thank you. Its amazing how much the royals really want to live in Kensington. I guess its truly the "best" palace. I read when Margaret had the palace, so many famous people like The Beatles, and Liz Taylor would be invited and truly her apartment was amazing.

Interesting. Thank you. Its amazing how much the royals really want to live in Kensington.

I am not sure I would go that far. There really are not many alternatives to KP for royal accomodation, and it is very centrally located. At various times in its history, it rumoured to have referred to it as the "Aunt Heap"

Follow the link below and scroll down for more information on the "Aunt Heap"

https://www.hrp.org.uk/kensington-p...s/the-story-of-kensington-palace/#gs.oBVwu25E

:previous:
I wouldn't mind living there. It's close to Hyde Park, Kensington High Street, ect....

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't mind living there. It's close to Hyde Park, Kensington High Street, ect....
I wouldn't mind either, but we wouldn't have paparazzi after us as soon as we go out

I think the biggest draw for the royals that do live at KP is the security factor. It is more or less like a prime gated royal community. Another factor is that KP also has its state apartments which can be convenient should any of the royals wish to hold a large event.

The public can and does rent out areas in KP for private functions and there are tours but the royal residential areas are off limits. I honestly have to say that if offered a place to live at KP and I could request where, it most likely would be Nottingham Cottage. That place sounds a lot cozier to me than the others.

I wouldn't mind either, but we wouldn't have paparazzi after us as soon as we go out

Its quite central, but I remember going to see Margaret's apartment some years ago and it was really - disappointing. I can't remember much about it which suggests that her décor wasn't that fantastic.. and I don't think ti was as big as I expected... I get the feeling that some fo the apartments the rooms are not htat big and like many things in life it is not as glamourous as you'd expect. And there isn't a lot of choice for Royals in London. I think they take KP because it is there, not because they are mad about it...

Its quite central, but I remember going to see Margaret's apartment some years ago and it was really - disappointing. I can't remember much about it which suggests that her décor wasn't that fantastic.. and I don't think ti was as big as I expected... I get the feeling that some fo the apartments the rooms are not htat big and like many things in life it is not as glamourous as you'd expect. And there isn't a lot of choice for Royals in London. I think they take KP because it is there, not because they are mad about it...

Wow some people said her apartment was beautiful but you aren’t wrong in saying that the apartments rooms are small no wonder we get the 56 room numbers for Will and Kate.

Wow some people said her apartment was beautiful but you aren’t wrong in saying that the apartments rooms are small no wonder we get the 56 room numbers for Will and Kate.

Has that 56 room number ever been substantiated by a credible source?

I suppose that even in a palace space is at such a premium in central London, that the rooms even of royal apartments are a bit poky.

I suppose that even in a palace space is at such a premium in central London, that the rooms even of royal apartments are a bit poky.

Still it’s the biggest apartment in Kensington Palace so it must be nice.

If you mean Margo's I didn't find it all that attractive......

I think Diana’s was nice even though the decor is outdated. But the good thing about Margaret’s apartment is Will and Kate can have their offices near their home.

I think anybody would want their offices near where they live and not travel far.

Not necessarily, a little travelling distance between work and home can help to take your mind of work and switch to private life..(works that way for me :flowers: )

Not necessarily, a little travelling distance between work and home can help to take your mind of work and switch to private life..(works that way for me :flowers: )

Also gives you something to do if you're not working full time! I'm part-time volunteering at a local charity shop and even though it's only a few minutes walk from me, I enjoy getting out and about since I hate being stuck indoors. Guess it depends on whether you're an indoors or outdoors person.

Royals tend to live near their offices, for security reasons.... but I can't imagine why i'd worry about how far Will and Kate have to travel...

If I'm not mistaken, Will and Kate and Harry and Meghan all have office space to use within KP separate from their residences. W&K live in Apt. 1A and H&M live in Nottingham Cottage but they have rooms in Diana's old apartments that they use for office space and reception rooms and the like.

People, for the most part, hear the word "palace" and instantly have luxurious and spacious and wonderful rooms pop into their heads. These are really relatively *old* buildings and like most old buildings, are cramped, drafty, small and sometimes even dreary. There was a *lot* of work that needed to be done to Margaret's old apartment before the Cambridges moved in and its the same now with Frogmore Cottage for the Sussex family.

I think I've read that Balmoral is one place where the heating system is quite outdated and the bedrooms still could use those hot water bottles to warm things up. One thing for sure is that these older residences are *not* the epitome of luxury and modern conveniences. :D

If I'm not mistaken, Will and Kate and Harry and Meghan all have office space to use within KP separate from their residences. W&K live in Apt. 1A and H&M live in Nottingham Cottage but they have rooms in Diana's old apartments that they use for office space and reception rooms and the like.

People, for the most part, hear the word "palace" and instantly have luxurious and spacious and wonderful rooms pop into their heads. These are really relatively *old* buildings and like most old buildings, are cramped, drafty, small and sometimes even dreary. There was a *lot* of work that needed to be done to Margaret's old apartment before the Cambridges moved in and its the same now with Frogmore Cottage for the Sussex family.

I think I've read that Balmoral is one place where the heating system is quite outdated and the bedrooms still could use those hot water bottles to warm things up. One thing for sure is that these older residences are *not* the epitome of luxury and modern conveniences. :D

Right. Also, the State Rooms at Kensington Palace aren’t really used by the royals. They’re used by Historic Royal Palaces for events, displays, public tours and offices. The Cambridge’s, Sussex’s, Gloucester’s and Kent’s are all confined to apartments and have very small reception rooms to use.

New Princess of Wales Display to go up to help mark Kensington Palace 200th Anniversary-
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...new-display-Princess-Dianas-evening-gown.html

Small correction, the new Diana display is not part of the celebration. The original Diana exhibit is closing in a few weeks time. Its being closed to make room for a new exhibit for the anniversary. They are creating a small display though of a few of Diana's pieces, to continue to show at the palace.

The new exhibit, to celebrate the anniversary, is of Queen Victoria.

https://www.hrp.org.uk/kensington-palace/victoria-2019/#gs.YZEUvetJ

Its not the 200th anniversary of Kensington palace. Its the 200th birthday of Queen Victoria being celebrated. She was born May 24, 1819. Victoria was born and later baptized at Kensington palace, why the display is there.

Kensington palace is of course much older, parts dating back to the 1609, though expanded over time.

Right. Also, the State Rooms at Kensington Palace aren’t really used by the royals. They’re used by Historic Royal Palaces for events, displays, public tours and offices. The Cambridge’s, Sussex’s, Gloucester’s and Kent’s are all confined to apartments and have very small reception rooms to use.

Well they have Windor, Buckingham, and even St James for reception rooms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom