Kensington Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please stop calling the duchess "Kate". Her name is Catherine. Prince william even calls her Catherine. Just saying.

I'm drifting off-topic here, but I think it's fine when people call Catherine 'Kate', as that AFAIK has been her nickname since childhood, even though William calls her Catherine. It's like people calling Sarah Ferguson 'Fergie', Queen Maxima 'Max', CP Mette-Marit 'MM', and so on. It's not as if we're calling her 'Waity Katie' or another negative nickname.

I think people are also more familiar with Kate than Catherine, which is why I often say Kate to my friends and family and Catherine on here. If I said Catherine to my friends, they would come back with "Catherine who? Don't you mean Kate?" My family seem to be more comfortable with Kate, but know that her full name is Catherine.

To conclude, there are a few people here, including myself, who refer to Catherine by her full name. If others always call her Kate and nothing else, then I will too.

Last edited:
Please stop calling the duchess "Kate". Her name is Catherine. Prince william even calls her Catherine. Just saying.

Actually when they were in the USA, I was listening to video of them talking and he called her Kate.

Kensington Palace

Yes he has called her Kate several times. Even in the engagement video! And there was once for a short time only an article about her work for party pieces on the company's homepage written by her mother. She also called her Kate.

I agree. And people should also stop calling her Princess Kate and Duchess Kate. It's so very wrong.

Also an interesting first post.

I agree. And people should also stop calling her Princess Kate and Duchess Kate. It's so very wrong.

They've said previously they don't mind when she's called Kate. In the intro video at the bafta event in 2011.

And William often calls her Kate.

I got a bit of a shock at the "Diana" wallpaper when I visited Kensington Palace - all sad blue eyes. I was suprised to see it.

(But then Windsor Castle was selling plush corgi dogs wearing crowns, sitting on cushions saying "God Save the Queen" - so maybe things aren't that "stuffy" these days.)

Anyway, I was very taken with the wallpaper and photographed every version of Diana represented on it, and spent more time with that, than some of the other things.

And no trouble taking photos the day I went - I got some good shots of the Queen's, Princess Margaret's and Diana's dresses that were on display.

And what different figures they had - the Queen and PM petite and hour-glass and Diana broad-shouldered and just big.

(Still travelling and can't upload photos from my tablet.)

:previous: I think a lot of younger people think that basically the Queen is old and has shrunk a little. It takes seeing something like that to make you realise just how attractive and petite she and her sister were in their hey-day and that she and her sister wore some absolutely gorgeous, fabulous, to-die-for gowns.

I was very taken with the wallpaper and photographed every version of Diana represented on it...

And no trouble taking photos the day I went - I got some good shots of the Queen's, Princess Margaret's and Diana's dresses that were on display.

And what different figures they had - the Queen and PM petite and hour-glass and Diana broad-shouldered and just big.

(Still travelling and can't upload photos from my tablet.)

Was the wallpaper for sale or plastered on the wall?'
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Was the wallpaper for sale or plastered on the wall?'
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Hi Queen Camilla - I just saw your post.

Not for sale, but on a great many of the walls downstairs.

White background, so the depictions of Diana really stood out as they are so colourful.

I'm assuming they were all done by the one artist, though at first I thought the different versions meant different people had created it.

Some are very beautiful, some less flattering, and some very "artistic" such as eyes floating under a tiara - that sort of thing.

Everybody had their cameras out photographing it - a lot of young women, some older women and a few guys. A lot of Asian tourists wanted to capture it.

At first I just took close-ups of the versions I liked, then I shot whole walls.

I think everyone was very caught up in it as I was there a long time, and there was never a moment that there weren't people all around with their cameras, doing the same.

I'll post some photos when I'm back in Oz and can upload them.

There were also cushions in another area with the face in outline of the Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Margaret etc and I've since read on the internet that if people sat down on them, they start to "talk" about the person depicted.

I just rushed past and didn't even photograph those.

Some visitors must get a shock though, so be ready if you ever get a bit tired and plonk down in that area.

Last edited:
Kensington Palace

I went to KP in July 2012. The Diana wallpaper was in a hallway that leads to a small Diana dress exhibition they were doing. There was a central lobby with circular cushioned benches. I didnt see the talking cushions. It's where the self guiding tours started from. The room was lined with pictures of people who lived at KP such as Diana, Margaret, Victoria and W&K picture.

This post has some photos of the the royals in the lobby along with the current dress exhibition

http://nadinejolie.com/blog/2013/10/kensington-palace-fashion-rules-william-kate-home/

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
When Princess Louise was young she had a studio in the grounds of Kensington Palace that was designed for her by Edward Godwin. She was the most attractive of Queen Victoria's daughters and a moderately talented sculptor.

Was there a flat in Kensington Palace called Clock House?

Kensington Palace

There is a clock tower wing which is made up of the Cambridges apt the former Princess Margaret's apt and the large apt. that the Gloucesters use.

There is a Wren House where the Duke of Kent lives.

Here are some of the photos I took of the wallpaper in Kensington Palace. (And someone has a sense of humour.)

Attachments

• IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1580.jpg
    IMG_1580.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Here are a few photos I took of the Royal clothes on display at Kensington Palace.

These are some of the Queen and Princess Margret's outfits.

And the cushions as mentioned in a post above - I did take some photos that I'd forgotten about.

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Are we likely to see the Wessexes given the use of an apartment in KP or elsewhere when Charles is King? They currently have rooms in Buckingham Palace but they may have to move in future.

I suspect it depends very much on Charles and how he sees the RF in the future. I don't believe all the hype about a smaller RF and doubt he would see any of his siblings without a London home.

KP would be ideal as it leaves BP free for the new King to use, Clarence House is perhaps 'too important' for the Wessex's as just brother/sister in law to the King so KP looks like a real possibility or maybe an apartment in St James' Palace. However, at present I don't think there are any apartments free, certainly no signs of The Kents, Gloucesters or Prince/Princess Michael leaving their apartments meaning maybe St James' would be ideal. Beatrice was said to have had an apartment there which she may leave if by the time Charles is King she is married, I think Anne too has an apartment in St James'

OR of course they may just stay at Bagshot and not have anywhere in the city... unlikely but a possibility

Last edited:
Why can't they keep the apartment they have at BP? It isn't as if William or Harry will be moving in so why not have Edward and Andrew keep their apartments there?

Of course they could, depends if Charles and Camilla want Andrew & Edward hanging around, unless of course Charles and Camilla remain at Clarence House maybe using BP for royal events, state dinners etc in which case Andrew & & Edward could stay in their apartments without any issues.

BP is pretty big. It's not like they hanging out in a 3 bedroom house with them occupying the guest rooms or sleeping on the living room couch. They probably wouldn't even see each other.

I expect the BP residents will be migrated elsewhere (St. James, KP) sooner to accommodate the planned major BP renovations irrespective of the change in monarchy. They may just stay wherever they land. If i was to guess - i expect Wessexes to end up in KP and Andrew in St James.

Here are a few photos I took of the Royal clothes on display at Kensington Palace.

These are some of the Queen and Princess Margret's outfits.

And the cushions as mentioned in a post above - I did take some photos that I'd forgotten about.

I was surprised to see these photos. The day I was there it was very clearly signposted that there was to be no photographs inside the palace. I wonder when they changed the rules as no photography was allowed inside when I visited in 2002, 2005 and again this year but seems to have been allowed when you visited ... or ...

Why can't they keep the apartment they have at BP? It isn't as if William or Harry will be moving in so why not have Edward and Andrew keep their apartments there?

I agree, I would be surprised if Andrew and Edward were moved from BP, unless it was in relation to the proposed refurbs.

Back
Top Bottom