Kensington Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clock Court KP.
The Drawing room before, during and after.

Attachments

• sc00040c22.jpg
    sc00040c22.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 930
  • sc00041e73.jpg
    sc00041e73.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 918
  • sc00042d06.jpg
    sc00042d06.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 3,710
Clock Court KP.
Princess Margaret in her Drawing Room.

Attachments

• sc00043bba.jpg
    sc00043bba.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 30,406
Dear Vanya,

Thanks for posting the delightful photographs. It seems a lot of work went into renovating and rehabbing those apartments. I am afraid I do not know who occupies what in Kensington Palace. I must get over to London to see this magnificent building in person.

Paul Burrell's name has been much tarnished in the past few years, but his second book, "The Way We Were" is well worth the price for the wonderful photos of Diana's apartments Burrell said he took a few days after she was killed.

Dear Vanya,

Thanks for posting the delightful photographs. It seems a lot of work went into renovating and rehabbing those apartments. I am afraid I do not know who occupies what in Kensington Palace. I must get over to London to see this magnificent building in person.
Hello Vasillisos!
I'm glad you enjoyed them! I'm glad the KP photo's came out all right!
And yes it took an awful lot of work, in the book I read it mentioned that they went over budget.
I also remember an anecdote that the Queen the QM and Pr. M use to sit her garden (at KP) and they could eavesdrop on the tourist's passing by. Apparently the garden wall backs onto a public walkway. I don't know how reliable that story is...:flowers:

Paul Burrell's name has been much tarnished in the past few years, but his second book, "The Way We Were" is well worth the price for the wonderful photos of Diana's apartments Burrell said he took a few days after she was killed.
Yes I have seen that book. If you compare, Margaret's apartment is FAR grander, not that I would turn down Diana's!

From what I've read, I thought the apartments once used by the late Princess Margaret were opened to the public.
refer Kensington Palace - Refurbishment (27 April 2010) at post #85
quotes
...the £12 million refurbishment of its state apartments and gardens...is well underway already and set to be completed by 2018. The first phase, of opening new rooms dedicated to Queen Victoria's life and reign, will be ready in 2012, with four more to follow.

...the opening of Princess Margaret's apartment, which since her death in 2002 has been used as a temporary exhibition space. The interiors will be restored to the Sixties and Seventies, when Princess Margaret and Tony Snowdon were the most stylish couple in London, including the smoke extractor in the kitchen that he designed himself.

This part of the palace will carry a permanent display devoted to Princess Margaret and Princess Diana's extensive collection of dresses.
Diana's apartment, which still belongs to the Royal Household, is used as office space.

Hello Vasillisos!
I'm glad you enjoyed them! I'm glad the KP photo's came out all right!
And yes it took an awful lot of work, in the book I read it mentioned that they went over budget.
I also remember an anecdote that the Queen the QM and Pr. M use to sit her garden (at KP) and they could eavesdrop on the tourist's passing by. Apparently the garden wall backs onto a public walkway. I don't know how reliable that story is...:flowers:

I imagine these three women would come up with some wild remarks, depending on what they heard on the other side of the wall.:lol:

refer Kensington Palace - Refurbishment (27 April 2010) at post #85.
Thank you Warren. You are, as usual, a fount of knowledge and wisdom:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Clock Court KP. The Hall before and after.
Thats Pr. M in the before picture. Again sorry if they come out upside down!

I will preface this by saying that I could be wrong; however, I believe the hall is part of apartment 1A Kensington Palace. Clock House is in a different wing of the palace.

i prefer PM's old drawing room's ceiling over the new. as for PD's apartment: all i can say is it's beautiful and very comfortable

Yes I have seen that book. If you compare, Margaret's apartment is FAR grander, not that I would turn down Diana's!

I've noticed that the decor for both the Princesses' apartments are quite similar. I guess that's the style TBRF prefers.

refer Kensington Palace - Refurbishment (27 April 2010) at post #85
quotes
...the £12 million refurbishment of its state apartments and gardens...is well underway already and set to be completed by 2018. The first phase, of opening new rooms dedicated to Queen Victoria's life and reign, will be ready in 2012, with four more to follow.

...the opening of Princess Margaret's apartment, which since her death in 2002 has been used as a temporary exhibition space. The interiors will be restored to the Sixties and Seventies, when Princess Margaret and Tony Snowdon were the most stylish couple in London, including the smoke extractor in the kitchen that he designed himself.

This part of the palace will carry a permanent display devoted to Princess Margaret and Princess Diana's extensive collection of dresses.
Diana's apartment, which still belongs to the Royal Household, is used as office space.

I think the current exhibition- Enchanted Palace- is wonderful!

It's so clever; using limited space (due to the refurbishment), KP has created a sort of fairy-tale: find the Seven Princesses!

It's a treasure hunt: using the clues found in each room, it is possible to identify seven princesses who once lived in KP. ( Mary, Charlotte, Anne, Caroline, Victoria, Margaret, Diana).

The exhibit is slightly creepy and rather poignant- a terrific transitional presentation!

Has anyone else been there? What did you think?

Princess Margaret's former butler Harold Brown had an apartment that was also part of the original Apartment 1 occupied by Princess Marina.

Purely speculation.... but I wonder if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are going to move in to Princess Margaret's former butler's apartment?

It seems unfair that William, who is the future King, will have to put up with a tiny apartment while minor Royals like the Kents and Gloucesters have much larger ones.

It seems unfair that William, who is the future King, will have to put up with a tiny apartment while minor Royals like the Kents and Gloucesters have much larger ones.

Mirabel, I'll have to agree with you on that one. I am not proud of it, but I feel the same way. :lol:

But he really doesn't need the extra space at this time. Besides, he will be king eventually and have the big house. I'm sure the Cambridges will get one of those larger apartments (or something else entirely) once the Kents and Gloucesters are gone and there are some little Cambridges running around.

But he really doesn't need the extra space at this time. Besides, he will be king eventually and have the big house. I'm sure the Cambridges will get one of those larger apartments (or something else entirely) once the Kents and Gloucesters are gone and there are some little Cambridges running around.

I suspect by the time the Kents and Gloucesters are "gone", the Cambridge couple will be installed at Clarence House.

I think it's definitely the best choice available for the Kensington Palace area. :cool:

The article I posted on the page before has an aerial view of the cottage.:)

The building that the article claims is Nottingham Cottage doesn't fit the description of other articles I have read. For one thing, it looks too large to be the small cottage that has been noted they are moving into. The descriptions I have read are that the cottage is reached through an archway and has it's own private garden. I found another site that claims and shows a small cottage within the walled garden that Diana used as Nottingham Cottage. It makes more sense to me that this is the actual cottage rather than the one showed in the other article.

Thoughts?

Nottingham Cottage, Kensington Palace, Palace Green, W8 4PY

With all the forward planning done by the palace and civil servant I don't think the notion of three adult generations in need of accommodation was on any plan.

The present situation of the Cambridge's using Nott Cott as a pieds-à-terre for the next couple of years will work as they are not "setting up house" on a full time basis but, after that should the Queen still be in robust health then they may need to change their future plans for KP Apartment 1A and move the Cambridge's in there.

Later, as things progress, there is no reason why when the Cambridge's move to Clarence House apartment 1a would probably be a suitable home for Prince Harry, should he too have married.

Security being what it is in this new age, it seems a no brainer to utilise the elegance that KP affords along with it's inbuilt security. Why reinvent the wheel when you have the perfect location. Obviously the Americans thought it doable before the longevity of it's tenants nixed that plan.

I agree with you, Marg. In time, the Cambridge's could progress to Apt 1A at KP, and once they are at CH, Harry and family could use Apt 1A at KP.

IMO, the issue to resolve would be if Harry were to marry and have a family whilst Charles was still PoW. Some other suitable accomocation for Harry would then need to be found.

That's a great news. To me, it symbolizes that taking care of charities and helping the others was a common goal for both.
:flowers::previous:
That is a lovely comment.
I congratulate you on the way you think, it shows your kindness.

(I get a bit upset when I hear/read horrible things about Charles; he doesn't deserve it IMO)

The building that the article claims is Nottingham Cottage doesn't fit the description of other articles I have read. For one thing, it looks too large to be the small cottage that has been noted they are moving into. The descriptions I have read are that the cottage is reached through an archway and has it's own private garden. I found another site that claims and shows a small cottage within the walled garden that Diana used as Nottingham Cottage. It makes more sense to me that this is the actual cottage rather than the one showed in the other article.

Thoughts?

Nottingham Cottage, Kensington Palace, Palace Green, W8 4PY

Nottingham Cottage seem to form together with Kent Cottage one house, so it's semi-detached and rather small. It's vis-a-vis the North wing at Princesses Court, where Charles and Diana used to live at ap.8+9. It's somehow build into the back courtyard of Wren House if this helps.

Here's a quite good pic from the Daily Mail with explanation: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/14/article-2003249-0C8C757000000578-320_964x821.jpg

Nottingham Cottage was where the former governess of the Queen, Mrs. Crawford used to live after she retired but when she wrote the book about the little princesses, she was kind of mobbed by the other inhabitants of KP for her breach of silence and decided to relocate. She still lived there and was in the then Princess Elizabeth's good graces when she was phoned by her and told that the princess had just given birth to her first child, a son. One of the last tenants, AFAIK was a relative of a senior member of the Royal Household who used the cottage not only as his living space but as a workshop as well and that was against the rules of his tenantship - security issues etc. Here's an article: Peer's son runs his building firm from Margaret's palace | Sunday Mirror Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET

Here's an excerpt in which Paul Burrell describes the space seen from the entrance of Ap. 8&9 to Nottingham Cottage:
"About two hundred yards ahead of the door there was a block called the Upper Stables. Staff quarters filled the first floor and Princess Margaret's garage was underneath. To the left, a group of cottages was used by senior members of the Royal Household: Kent Cottage, Nottingham Cottage and Wren Cottage. To the right, there was a dead end: a towering brick wall with a black door set in it, which led to the State Apartments and the Orangery. The princess used that gate to nip out into Kensington Palace Gardens for a walk, or to go Rollerblading at around 8 a.m. when few people were around. To reach it, she had to pass the door to Prince and Princess Michael of Kent's apartments. "

According to the London postcodes, there are more cottages/flats under this postcode of W8 4PY: all in all 13 properties.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom