But just a peek:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...e-cottage.html

Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I wonder if the duke and duchess will miss life at their Apartment at Kensington having lived there for so many years.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Removed; n/a
Old 05-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I wonder if the duke and duchess will miss life at their Apartment at Kensington having lived there for so many years.
Probably like a lot of downsizers. Happy with less to manage but wistful at leaving a home of over forty years with all its memories.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Apart from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, what other members of the royal family live in Kensington Palace?
I think Princess Eugenie and Jack also live in this palace.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Apart from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, what other members of the royal family live in Kensington Palace?
I think Princess Eugenie and Jack also live in this palace.
Eugenie doesn't live in the main building.

Duke & Duchess of Gloucester
Duke of Duchess of Kent
Prince & Princess Michael of Kent

Of those only the Michaels of Kent live in the main building.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:53 PM
Courtier

These two clips show the former Gloucester apartment inside & outside. The second clip is from when Princess Marina was still the occupant.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post

Of those only the Michaels of Kent live in the main building.
For how much longer I wonder!
Old 05-09-2020, 03:03 PM
Nobility

Do we know anything about how big/how many "major" apartments are there in KP? We obviously have 1 and 1a, 4a and 4b (though I don't know their exact location), then the 8 and 9, 10, but anything other than that?
Old 05-09-2020, 03:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Do we know anything about how big/how many "major" apartments are there in KP? We obviously have 1 and 1a, 4a and 4b (though I don't know their exact location), then the 8 and 9, 10, but anything other than that?
The nature of the building means apartments can be changed by size quickly & easily. The palace is mostly just a collection of some 200 or so rooms (plus attics & basements), some interconnecting, most off long corridors. The palace was built piecemeal with alterations at various dates. It's a bit of a jumble really although not as bad as St James's Palace, that really is an architectural muddle if endearing.

This is a link to Historic Royal Palaces with floor plans.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD
Old 05-09-2020, 03:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The nature of the building means apartments can be changed by size quickly & easily. The palace is mostly just a collection of some 200 or so rooms (plus attics & basements), some interconnecting, most off long corridors. The palace was built piecemeal with alterations at various dates.

This is a link to Historic Royal Palaces with floor plans.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD
Yes, I know, I just thought maybe others apartments were also mentioned - as they sometimes do, during the moving and changing processes.

And oh wow, thank you so much for the link I've never seen it before and now you made my evening! (I'll probably spend hours now going through this stuff )
Old 05-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

In this picture we can see what are the royal family apartments in Kensington.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QuxNlP6qO...e4a574f7af.jpg
Old 05-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Yes, I know, I just thought maybe others apartments were also mentioned - as they sometimes do, during the moving and changing processes.

And oh wow, thank you so much for the link I've never seen it before and now you made my evening! (I'll probably spend hours now going through this stuff )
Yes it's the sort of stuff I happily get lost in too.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
In this picture we can see what are the royal family apartments in Kensington.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QuxNlP6qO...e4a574f7af.jpg
The location of the Michael of Kents apartment is incorrect on this. Its pointing to what was a section of the old Wales apartment. The Michaels are to the right of that, their apartment backs onto the right hand courtyard. Their apartment is not that large at all really.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Probably like a lot of downsizers. Happy with less to manage but wistful at leaving a home of over forty years with all its memories.
I agree, I've ever believed those reports that they were "forced" out or where unhappy about it. I think they are pretty practical people who see that living in a rather large apartment isn't needed when the children have all moved out.

On a side note, those reports have shown up something I didn't know - apparently their new residence at KP (The Old Stable) was once home of Tommy Lascelles, the Queen's old private secretary (as seen in The Crown lol).

This led me to an article here: https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/news/2018/...mmy-lascelles/

Which actually unintentionally makes is easier to work out which building is theirs, I believe its the upper left building circled in red just behind the tennis court (which I don't think is actually part of the KP site)

https://imgur.com/uUazz4Y

As you can see although they have moved and leaving the 'family home' will be sad it is still pretty close to their old residence.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Courtier

Yes you're definitely right. I think the building is still part of the kp complex though because it's of the same brick & general design as the other palace ancillary buildings. I'm sure that the cream (stucco?) building that it's attached to (& the tennis court) is part of this mansion complex on Kensington Palace Gardens (aka billionaire's row):

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...s-8594901.html

The whole of this street was built on palace land in the c19th & the freeholds are still owned by the crown estate.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...palace-gardens
Old 05-14-2020, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'd imagine that the Duke of Gloucester's cottage needed to be updated before they moved in.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:27 PM
Courtier

With the Sussexes and also Gloucesters now having vacated Kensington Palace, by the time William is king, are we likely to see a situation of just Beatrice and Eugene living at KP?
Old 06-05-2020, 02:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
With the Sussexes and also Gloucesters now having vacated Kensington Palace, by the time William is king, are we likely to see a situation of just Beatrice and Eugene living at KP?
Only Eugenie is at Kensington. Beatrice is still at St James's as far as I know.

Eugenie like the Gloucesters lives in the complex, in ancillary buildings, rather then the palace building. Only the Cambridges & Michaels of Kent live withing the palace.

I too wonder about the future use of the private residential areas of the palace.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its possible that by the time William is king, George, Charlotte and Louis will all be older and requiring their own residences. That's dependent though if Charles has inherited the longevity gene. He seems to be in pretty robust health for 71 years old.