The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #521  
Old 10-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 928
I could only find one image of the inside of apartment 1 (when it was occupied by Princess Marina). The dining room certainly looks a lot smaller & less grand than the one at Clarence House.


https://blog.hrp.org.uk/curators/she...incess-marina/
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 10-01-2019, 09:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coastal California, United States
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I could only find one image of the inside of apartment 1 (when it was occupied by Princess Marina). The dining room certainly looks a lot smaller & less grand than the one at Clarence House.


https://blog.hrp.org.uk/curators/she...incess-marina/
Thanks for the link to the article. Yes, the dinning room appears to be small, but elegantly simple. Clarence House always looks a tad cluttered to me.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 10-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Thanks for the link to the article. Yes, the dinning room appears to be small, but elegantly simple. Clarence House always looks a tad cluttered to me.
Yes I can see what you mean. The designer is called Robert Kime. He's well known for a sort of rather plush English country house style.
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 10-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,187
Any pictures or details about the new part the Gloucester's are moving to?
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Any pictures or details about the new part the Gloucester's are moving to?
Their new home is reported as being the Old Stables but I'm not exactly clear where that is. I think it's the building bordering the green (where helicopters sometimes land) on the north side of the palace.
Reply With Quote
  #526  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 928
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4Pld_kctDX4/maxresdefault.jpg

This is the Old Stables I think.
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,187
Hmmm that's still a pretty sizeable residence for a couple who are downsizing.
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:51 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Hmmm that's still a pretty sizeable residence for a couple who are downsizing.
I'm quite sure that the building is divided into flats. It looks quite pokey to me and I hope there's a garden in the back and not just the car park visible in the picture. Brigitte needs somewhere nice to have her morning coffee in the summer.
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 10-03-2019, 07:56 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,990
I have serious doubts the story of the couple moving into the stable block is true.

The stables have been converted into small two bedroom flats that have been used by staff and rented out to public people as well. I have found pictures of one of them that belongs to an architect.

Though they may be downsizing, the couple is not likely to move into a two bedroom flat. They use their apartments as their office as well. There are other larger apartments that are free in the palace including the one that belonged to Christopher Geidt which was considered for the Sussexes by many. Its definitely smaller then apartment 1, but would still allow the couple offices and room for their family to visit.
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 10-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I have serious doubts the story of the couple moving into the stable block is true.

The stables have been converted into small two bedroom flats that have been used by staff and rented out to public people as well. I have found pictures of one of them that belongs to an architect.

Though they may be downsizing, the couple is not likely to move into a two bedroom flat. They use their apartments as their office as well. There are other larger apartments that are free in the palace including the one that belonged to Christopher Geidt which was considered for the Sussexes by many. Its definitely smaller then apartment 1, but would still allow the couple offices and room for their family to visit.
You may well be right. Who knows what to believe in the media these days.

That's interesting about the architect's flat. I knew that flats in the old barracks on the opposite (south) side of the palace complex (the building immediately next to the Royal Garden Hotel) had been rented on the open market but not ones in the old stables on the north side of the site.
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 12-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,615
Read in today's mail that the Gloucesters and the Earls of Harewood have send over 300 pieces of "their collection" to Christie's to be auctioned off soon. Tha DM writes that because the Gloucesters moved into their country seat of Barnwell Manor in Northamptonshire they don't need so many things anymore.
The lots include a large set of dining room chairs...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-auction.html


Looked up Barnwell Manor - wiki & Co. claim that the Gloucesters stopped living there - but are said to have moved back in September. Did you read anything more about that move? And why should an elderly couple who has lived for so long in Central London now move back into the deepest countryside?
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 12-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Read in today's mail that the Gloucesters and the Earls of Harewood have send over 300 pieces of "their collection" to Christie's to be auctioned off soon. Tha DM writes that because the Gloucesters moved into their country seat of Barnwell Manor in Northamptonshire they don't need so many things anymore.
The lots include a large set of dining room chairs...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-auction.html


Looked up Barnwell Manor - wiki & Co. claim that the Gloucesters stopped living there - but are said to have moved back in September. Did you read anything more about that move? And why should an elderly couple who has lived for so long in Central London now move back into the deepest countryside?
and even more interesting: who is moving into the Gloucester's old apartment? Will this be the new Sussex London pad?
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mokane, United States
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
and even more interesting: who is moving into the Gloucester's old apartment? Will this be the new Sussex London pad?
While it is a very interesting question, and I certainly have no insider knowledge, I would be very, very surprised if this became the London residence of the Sussexes. I'm not sure who it might become a residence for but I suspect we had better turn our guesses and attentions to just about anyone but the Sussexes.
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:48 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
And why should an elderly couple who has lived for so long in Central London now move back into the deepest countryside?
Because at 70 they are fed up with the hysteria of the city.
Can't blame them ...
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:48 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,319
I'm in agreement with Heather. It just doesn't seem plausible with Windsor and Frogmore Cottage being just approximately 25 miles away from London, it wouldn't make sense for the Sussex family to have two residences so close together. So I think we can rule out Harry and Meghan returning to Kensington Palace.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 12-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 1,516
I don't think Harry and Meghan will move into the apartment. I think they love the quiet and privacy of Windsor.
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 12-11-2019, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,187
I've said it before but personally I think Apartment 1 (or parts of it at least) will go to William and Kate to be used as official entertaining areas and possibly additional office space as their roles move more to Prince and Princess of Wales.

I don't think it will go to the Sussex's simply as they have made their main residence in Windsor and that is close enough to not requite a large London base as well. The usual procedure seems to be large country residence + smaller apartment for use in the city. (Though with a possible change in reign I'm not saying whats gone before will be the same). These apartments are really just parts of an old palace divided up, so maybe a larger than Nottingham Cottage apartment can be created for the Sussex's and other parts given over to the Cambridge's as their roles as heirs grow.

Or maybe they are being earmarked for Edward/Sophie and Anne for after the change of reign when maybe Charles won't want his siblings sharing BP with him (Although I think Anne at least is based out of St James' as well as having private rooms there).

In reality none of us know but its fun to speculate.
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 02-02-2020, 12:50 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 27,758
As part of ongoing restoration golden Chandeliers return to Kensington Palace after 200 years.

Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 02-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
As part of ongoing restoration golden Chandeliers return to Kensington Palace after 200 years.

Fascinating! Wonderful to think that such superb craftsmanship still survives.

The book that the Head of Collections references at 0.53 would be W.H. Payne's History of the Royal Residences 1819.
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 02-02-2020, 02:34 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 27,758
Isn't it just wonderful,they did a superb job!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Palace of Versailles Her_Majesty Royal Families of France 181 08-05-2020 03:21 PM
Your fantasy palace Alastair_r General Royal Discussion Archive 3 09-04-2009 01:01 PM
"The Palace" fictional TV series, 2008 Beck The Electronic Domain 19 01-17-2008 09:47 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi althorp american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry bangladesh british chittagong cht countess of snowdon danish history diana princess of wales dutch history dutch royal family dutch royals family tree games haakon vii heraldry hill history house of grimaldi house of orange-nassau imperial household interesting intro israel jacobite japan jewelry jumma kids movie king willem-alexander list of rulers mailing maxima mbs nepal nepalese royal family nobel 2019 norway history popularity prince charles prince daniel princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess elizabeth princess ribha pronunciation queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal wedding serbian royal family snowdon spain spencer family swedish royal family thailand tracts unsubscribe videos visit from sweden wedding gown wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×