The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2019, 12:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Why would they have that when they have APT 10 for offices and be used for state functions. I guess we will have to wait and see but I think it’s not likely. Who knows though.
The Cambridges have stated KP is there home until William becomes king. Apt 1a is decent enough for now but when W&K are the Prince and Princess of Wales things will expand rapidly. Charles as heir employs over 150 people.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Cambridges have stated KP is there home until William becomes king. Apt 1a is decent enough for now but when W&K are the Prince and Princess of Wales things will expand rapidly. Charles as heir employs over 150 people.
I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:19 PM
Gentry

Poor old Gloucesters! To be chucked out of their home to satisfy the vanity of the younger generation.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Court View Post
Poor old Gloucesters! To be chucked out of their home to satisfy the vanity of the younger generation.
Woah! Back up that horse here. Nothing has been confirmed about the Gloucester's KP apartment or that they've been ousted. Most likely they've been thinking of downsizing for quite a while now and perhaps are actually doing it. This couple is in their 70s and perhaps want a smaller place. It happens and to be honest, its something that my hubby and I are considering also as we gallop into our golden years.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I wouldn't be surprised if, at some point in the near future, Apartment 1 is used by the Cambridge's, its been stated they want to stay there for years to come (code IMO until William is King) so more room will be required.

Either way, I don't think the Gloucester's were forced out at all, when W&K married it was said the Gloucester's offered to move out, and again when the Sussex's married. It may simply of been a case of waiting for somewhere else suitable at KP being available for the Glocuester's to move into. The Queen stated she wouldn't force Prince & Princess Michael out as she had promised them an apartment for life, when keeping them in it for free became too much of a problem HM paid rent personally on it for 7 years before the Michael's took it over themselves. Bear in mind this was for cousins who don't officially carry out royal duties so I can't see HM suddenly changing tack and demanding the Glocuester's, who have represented her all over the UK and world, downsize.

IMO this is the Gloucester's having no children at home, perhaps reducing their activities a little and deciding they don't need as much space as the massive apartment they inherited use of from his mother.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure the Gloucesters moved out volontarily. They're both over 70 and it would be only natural for them to want to downsize. They used to be a family of six living in that apartment and now it's only the two of them.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if, at some point in the near future, Apartment 1 is used by the Cambridge's, its been stated they want to stay there for years to come (code IMO until William is King) so more room will be required.

Either way, I don't think the Gloucester's were forced out at all, when W&K married it was said the Gloucester's offered to move out, and again when the Sussex's married. It may simply of been a case of waiting for somewhere else suitable at KP being available for the Glocuester's to move into. The Queen stated she wouldn't force Prince & Princess Michael out as she had promised them an apartment for life, when keeping them in it for free became too much of a problem HM paid rent personally on it for 7 years before the Michael's took it over themselves. Bear in mind this was for cousins who don't officially carry out royal duties so I can't see HM suddenly changing tack and demanding the Glocuester's, who have represented her all over the UK and world, downsize.

IMO this is the Gloucester's having no children at home, perhaps reducing their activities a little and deciding they don't need as much space as the massive apartment they inherited use of from his mother.
So then what’s the point of Apt 9 and 10? Then? Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if the apartment becomes Vacant for years and years.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

I hear it needs lots of updates...perhaps it will be converted into office space and/or staff housing.

LaRae
Old 09-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Well for starters, I assume you mean apartments 8&9, Diana's old apartment, as far as I know apartment 10 is the one used by Prince & Princess Michael.

As someone pointed out earlier, if the couple stay there while Prince and Princess of Wales they will have a larger staff and thus need more office space for them. Also the rooms they currently use for staff, meetings etc are located over the courtyard from the Cambridge's apartment so it may be more practical for them to have access to at least some rooms adjoining their private apartment. I doubt apartment 1 will actually remain as it is and most likely IMO it will cease to be used as one single set of rooms. For the foreseeable future there is unlikely to be a member of the RF in need of such a large set of rooms for themselves. The Cambridge's may well use some of the rooms from apartment 1 as the years go on and other rooms (probably those further away from apartment 1a) may be used for other purposes in time.

Of course none of us know, but the fun of this forum is being able to speculate on such things.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:21 PM
Courtier

I always had the impression that the apartments at Kensington Palace could be reconfigured simply by unsealing some doors. With the Gloucester apartment next door, they could probably add it to 1A when the Cambridge family needs more space. Having said that, I am not sure William would want staff that close. I get the feeling the reason the office staff is across the courtyard is because he doesn't want them in the house.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure thats the case, at the end of the day they are all part of one palace so I'm sure at most its simply a case of knocking through, at least unlocking a door.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:22 PM
Courtier

Could the Sussexes be moving into this apartment? This could be their main London residence, with Frogmore as their country retreat.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Could the Sussexes be moving into this apartment? This could be their main London residence, with Frogmore as their country retreat.
They arent likely to be given such a massive apartment. The Gloucester home is larger then the Cambridges. While arguably they may need a different London base then their cottage, apartment 1 would be a huge stretch. There are other apartments free which would be far more likely.

We dont know if it would be used at all. Quite possible it remains vacant until a new couple needs it down the line. Just because the Gloucesters moved doesnt mean someone is moving right in.

As for the Cambridges they already have more space. With the division of the Sussex household, the office space they once shared is now their own. Kensington was also building new office space which will likely open up more room if needed. I dont see a massive apartment like 1 being turned into offices.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it will sit empty like it is until something needs to be done....either staff housing, more offices etc. Might even sit empty till George marries. Unless there are already plans in the works.

LaRae
Old 09-29-2019, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt the Sussex's would move in, it was made pretty clear that Frogmore would be their home. Also, whether right or wrong, the backlash over the costs of the Frogmore renovations suggest that another officially funded residence for them just wouldn't be accepted.

Kensington Palace is used by so many people and organisations - the Royals who live there, staff who have accommodation there, some people even rent out apartments on a commercial basis and then there is the Royal Trust and Historic Royal Palaces organisation. I could see a mix of uses whilst still keeping the basic structure in tact ready for a pretty easy change back into one main apartment for a senior royal in the future.

Unless it is all going to become used by one senior royal in the near future I doubt we will hear much else about it for now.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Majesty

Two royal reporters, Russell Myers and Roya Nikkhah, commented that the apartment is being reserved for the Cambridges. Nothing is for sure but it makes sense to me.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Cambridges from what I read said they will stay where they are until William is the Monarch.

Not sure how much credit I put in what Russell and Nikkhah say.

LaRae
Old 09-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The Cambridges from what I read said they will stay where they are until William is the Monarch.

Not sure how much credit I put in what Russell and Nikkhah say.

LaRae
They are staying at KP so for me at least it makes sense to use the Gloucesters apartment. The two residences are connected and one way or another the Cambridges are going to need a larger base as Prince and Princess of Wales.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:44 PM
Serene Highness

Are the two apartments together larger or smaller than Clarence House?
Old 10-01-2019, 02:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Are the two apartments together larger or smaller than Clarence House?
A good question. Would Princess Louise, the last person to occupy the whole of then apartment 1, have been given a larger London home than Alfred Duke of Edinburgh? I would presume not given their respective places in the royal hierarchy. Clarence House does have four proper floors (as opposed to attics/basements) compared to KP's two. Unless it was smaller when the Edinburgh's first took up residence?