Kensington Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With the Sussexes and also Gloucesters now having vacated Kensington Palace, by the time William is king, are we likely to see a situation of just Beatrice and Eugene living at KP?

Couldn't George, Charlotte and Louis live at the KP at that time? Or other family like Princess Eugenie's kids.

With the Sussexes and also Gloucesters now having vacated Kensington Palace, by the time William is king, are we likely to see a situation of just Beatrice and Eugene living at KP?
We could also have the situation where King William and Queen Catherine live at Kensington Palace and use Buckingham Palace for work only.

:previous: I could see them staying at Kensington and not moving to Clarence House while Prince and Princess of Wales. But I doubt they will remain there when they are queen and king. They will need more space then their current apartment offers. It doesn't make spent a fortune increasing its size again, when they have another palace to move in to. Once Buckingham palace renovations are done it will resume as the main home.

George and likely Charlotte at least will be working royals, maybe Louis. And they will need their own apartments. Their apartment and the Gloucester's would likely be used by them. Or throw Clarence house in for George, and Louis gets one of them as well.

Couldn't George, Charlotte and Louis live at the KP at that time? Or other family like Princess Eugenie's kids.

George, Charlote and Louis possibly, but I do not expect to see the children of Beatrice or Eugenie being provided royal accomodation.

:previous: I could see them staying at Kensington and not moving to Clarence House while Prince and Princess of Wales. But I doubt they will remain there when they are queen and king. They will need more space then their current apartment offers. It doesn't make spent a fortune increasing its size again, when they have another palace to move in to. Once Buckingham palace renovations are done it will resume as the main home.

I have to agree, there is a reasonably chance that W&C live at KP till they are King & Queen.

We could also have the situation where King William and Queen Catherine live at Kensington Palace and use Buckingham Palace for work only.

If the past is a guide, it is unlikely. In the case of the Queen and Philip, they were advised by Churchill to move to BP.

If the past is a guide, it is unlikely. In the case of the Queen and Philip, they were advised by Churchill to move to BP.
Butr that was almost 70 years ago and by the time there will be a King William and a Queen Catherine it will likely almost 100 years ago. And so much has changed. Only using BP for official Events would also allow them to open it more for Visitors like it is done with for example the Royal Palace's in Stockholm or Madrid.

Last edited:
I have my fingers crossed Charles will remain at CH and BP will be staff offices/housing and for tourism.

LaRae

I have serious doubts the story of the couple moving into the stable block is true. :ermm:

The stables have been converted into small two bedroom flats that have been used by staff and rented out to public people as well. I have found pictures of one of them that belongs to an architect.

Though they may be downsizing, the couple is not likely to move into a two bedroom flat. They use their apartments as their office as well. There are other larger apartments that are free in the palace including the one that belonged to Christopher Geidt which was considered for the Sussexes by many. Its definitely smaller then apartment 1, but would still allow the couple offices and room for their family to visit.

When you read the article that accompanies the pictures, it includes the name of the firm the architect works for and indicates that it's across the street from the flat. If you google the firm, you will find that it is not located on the palace grounds, but the address on google shows a building across the street with features that match the images from the article.

Image about Kensington Palace, with information about the palace apartments.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/d2/66/7bd266ff598a89e25ac6ad706d418b8b.jpg

Thank you for the image:flowers:.

There is one slight error - the Michael of Kent's apartment is on the north side of the courtyard to the right of where it is shown to be.

What is being indicated would still be part of the appartment occupied by the late princess. It's a very fine self contained house built for the mistress (!) of George ii or i. Here's some information about it from Country Life:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAwQjhxqFwoTCNjeqtvE2vUCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Last edited:
With the Cambridges departing KP as their main residence, and the Sussexes having departed, as well as the Gloucesters having downsized from the main palace, it is quite possible that P&Pss Michael will want to downsize too upon retirement, if only for cost reasons. Is it possible that the actual palave could be vacant of royals in the not too distant future?

With the Cambridges departing KP as their main residence, and the Sussexes having departed, as well as the Gloucesters having downsized from the main palace, it is quite possible that P&Pss Michael will want to downsize too upon retirement, if only for cost reasons. Is it possible that the actual palave could be vacant of royals in the not too distant future?

> I do not see the Cambridge's vacating KP 1A. They will continue to use it as their London home till William is King, and they move to BP.

> The offices of W&C will remain at KP.

> It is possible that more and more apartments within KP are used as grace and favour homes for various senior officials or as offices. This has happened many times in recent history. For example, KP 1A, where Margaret lived for about 50 years, was used as exhibition space and as storage space for about a decade before W&C took it on.

> I do not see KP stopping being a royal residence in the near term, as the Cambridge children will also need suitable homes once they have grown up, unless they get accomodated at BP. However, longer term, it is possible that the royal family does give up KP.

Some of my photos from different visits -

Attachments

• IMG_9978.jpg
    IMG_9978.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9987.jpg
    IMG_9987.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9980.jpg
    IMG_9980.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9973.jpg