The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
^ And generations to come ? Are the core Royal family [likely with young Children] to be expected to live in a place so woefully 'unfit for purpose' [as I detailed above] ?
I do not think any of them will have to worry about accommodation. There will be plenty of baths and running water.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
It makes sense to me Camilla/Charles staying in CH ...it goes with his reported more streamlined monarchy. BP will be used as a museum and hold state dinners etc there perhaps..they only do a small handful of those a year.

By the time William is King they could shift to CH and George could go to KP apartments etc.

LaRae

I don't see Charles living in CH as king. It wouldn't be considered consistent with the royal dignity by British standards.

In other countries, there are precedents such as Juan Carlos and now Felipe VI living at Zarzuela instead of using the Royal Palace of Madrid (actually the largest royal palace in western Europe) as Alfonso XIII did , but it is a different situation of a slimmed-down monarchy that was restored after 45 years out of the throne.

I guess one could also mention Carl XVI Gustaf living at Drottningholm and keeping the Royal Palace of Stockholm as a working palace only, or Philippe of Belgium living at Laeken and working in the Royal Palace of Brussels, but, in both cases, the permanent royal residences are "big country houses/ castles" and not a town house like CH.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I can almost guarantee it won’t be Johnson or Corbyn in that seat.
I so wish what you say could be true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
BP will be used as a museum and hold state dinners etc there perhaps..they only do a small handful of those a year.
Barring the current period of repair and renewal, hundreds of public engagements take place at BP all year. Relocating them all is not easy, and certainly not something that can be done over the long term easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I guess one could also mention Carl XVI Gustaf living at Drottningholm and keeping the Royal Palace of Stockholm as a working palace only, or Philippe of Belgium living at Laeken and working in the Royal Palace of Brussels, but, in both cases, the permanent royal residences are "big country houses/ castles" and not a town house like CH.
Perhaps the equivalent property to Drottningholm and Laeken is Windsor.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I so wish what you say could be true
One can always hope..
Old 07-07-2019, 04:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I guess one could also mention Carl XVI Gustaf living at Drottningholm and keeping the Royal Palace of Stockholm as a working palace only
The King and Queen live in one part of Drottningholm, not in the whole Palace. Most of the palace is a museum that's open year round for the public with the palace church being used by the local parish for services and concerts. The palace has about 700 000 visitors a year. While we don't know how big part of the palace they live in it's in the south part of the palace and they themselves call it a flat. We've rarely seen pictures from their private home.
The comparison to Windsor isn't a bad one since King Carl Gustav's two predecessors used it mainly as an autumn and winter residence and either travelling to the Royal palace when necessary or having visitors such as the government come to them.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Apartment 1 will go to W&K, it wouldn't surprise me if they are keeping quiet about it for now as they don't want a million stories about W&K preventing M&H from having the apartment.

I don't know what they will do with CH when Charles is King but I Do think that Charles will move in to BP - he is, IMO, keen to be seen as King in every way including using the traditional residence of monarchs- secondly don't forget that when Charles becomes King it may well be that his siblings move out so having space in CH would be useful.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There will be plenty of baths and running water.
Indeed.. but no safe, secure Garden/grounds, insufficient numbers of reception rooms and Guest accomodation, and [all round] dinginess..
Have you been to Clarence House yourself ? I have, and found it quite astonishingly depressing.
The idea that it might become the primary residence of a King and Queen is fit only for a Corbyn dystopia..
Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

It’s also not about what a PM tells them to do, BP is the home of the monarch which is I think half the reason people visit it. If it’s the home of past monarchs, that’s less interesting.

But people still visit the Royal Palace in Stockholm, the Royal Palace in Madrid, the Royal Palace in Amsterdam despite the fact that they royals don't live there but use it as their offices or for official occasions.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps an alternative solution may be to build a residence for the Royal family,[along the lines of the Zarzuela] in the grounds of Buckingham Palace ?

Such a thing was thought of in the George Bernard Shaw's play 'the Apple Cart' as early as 1928.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Indeed.. but no safe, secure Garden/grounds, insufficient numbers of reception rooms and Guest accomodation, and [all round] dinginess..
Have you been to Clarence House yourself ? I have, and found it quite astonishingly depressing.
The idea that it might become the primary residence of a King and Queen is fit only for a Corbyn dystopia..
The article I read at the time indicated that BP would be the place of work for all the receptions, state dinners, meetings etc etc. Clarence House would be his home that he would go back to every day.He did not want to live over the shop. He wanted a home.
I am not arguing the point, I just put something in the mix for discussion.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I agree but I've heard grumbles about the private quarters in BP & I wonder if they could ever be improved enough to comply with Charles' requirements for a home. I can't see him quitting CH for BP.

As for William, I can see the logic of a Kensington Palace/Prince of Wales setting but I think when his turn comes, he'll move into BP because it looks to me like he models himself more on HMQ as monarch.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The King and Queen live in one part of Drottningholm, not in the whole Palace. Most of the palace is a museum that's open year round for the public with the palace church being used by the local parish for services and concerts. The palace has about 700 000 visitors a year. While we don't know how big part of the palace they live in it's in the south part of the palace and they themselves call it a flat. We've rarely seen pictures from their private home.
The comparison to Windsor isn't a bad one since King Carl Gustav's two predecessors used it mainly as an autumn and winter residence and either travelling to the Royal palace when necessary or having visitors such as the government come to them.
Drottningholm Palace has 192 rooms. According to Svensk Damtidning's article king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia's private apartment has about 20 rooms.
Hemma hos kungen – här är hans 8 slott _ Svensk Damtidning
Old 07-08-2019, 08:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't want to dispute this, but people move all the time, because their needs change.
Once Charles succeeds, he will probably move into BP, for example.
However, BP is currently undergoing extensive renovations (wiring, plumbing, asbestos removal, and other much needed structural and infrastructure repairs) working around the Queen's private apartments for now. Those rooms are reportedly scheduled to be done after the change of reign - this has not been explicitly said of course - so Charles and Camilla will probably stay at CH for quite a while. Given that they will both probably be in their eighties before the renovations are complete, it might be better for them to just stay at CH.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It may not be to your taste, but by many accounts Charles adores the place. The photos I’ve seen have been lovely. Not as huge and grand as BP, but a nice balance between regal elegance and comfortable human-scale hominess.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Charles conveniently finds excuses to keep saying he’s “temporarily” staying in CH and just using BP for work farther into his reign than actually makes sense with any construction timeline.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Gloucester’s are moving from Apt #1 today-
https://mobile.twitter.com/majestyma...59087781908482

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Majesty

It’s going to the Cambridges for use as state rooms and offices
Old 09-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It’s going to the Cambridges for use as state rooms and offices
I doubt it. Is this factual?
Old 09-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
I doubt it. Is this factual?
At least two royal reporters made this prediction back in the spring. Apparently the Sussexes wanted to live there but the ‘Firm’ vetoed the move citing the apartment is being reserved for the Cambridges. We’ll have to wait and see.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
At least two royal reporters made this prediction back in the spring. Apparently the Sussexes wanted to live there but the ‘Firm’ vetoed the move citing the apartment is being reserved for the Cambridges. We’ll have to wait and see.
Why would they have that when they have APT 10 for offices and be used for state functions. I guess we will have to wait and see but I think it’s not likely. Who knows though.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

About 99 percent of what the tabloids say the Sussexes want to do is made up stories. So I don't think I'd even throw that into the mix.

LaRae