The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2019, 01:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
That's true, but couldn't some sort of exchange be worked out?
The Gloucesters are downsizing; why not others?

(For example, Andrew's daughters have moved out and have their own accommodations. Couldn't Andrew have moved into KP and allowed the Sussexes to use Royal Lodge?)

I realize moving is a pain, but if someone no longer needs a larger space, why not?
Why should Andrew move out of Royal Lodge? There are plenty of suitable homes, and H&M have been housed in a suitable home.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Why should Andrew move out of Royal Lodge? There are plenty of suitable homes, and H&M have been housed in a suitable home.
I don't think the Queen would move her son in favour of a grandson. As another poster also noted, Andrew has spent personal money on the property.I do not think anybody would have been asked to move out
of their home , unless they had stated a desire to.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The thing is that its really not up to the Queen as to who moves where and pays how much or whatever. Leases and agreements are made through the Crown Estate who manage the properties such as Kensington Palace. The Queen may request a peppercorn rent for those that have spent years supporting the monarchy for her or even offer to pay the rent on the residence even but she cannot and will not ever have the power of eviction on Crown Estate properties. The Crown Estate is an entity in and of itself.

At least that's how I see it. If I'm wrong anywhere, I'm sure someone who knows more will correct me.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The thing is that its really not up to the Queen as to who moves where and pays how much or whatever. Leases and agreements are made through the Crown Estate who manage the properties such as Kensington Palace. The Queen may request a peppercorn rent for those that have spent years supporting the monarchy for her or even offer to pay the rent on the residence even but she cannot and will not ever have the power of eviction on Crown Estate properties. The Crown Estate is an entity in and of itself.

At least that's how I see it. If I'm wrong anywhere, I'm sure someone who knows more will correct me.
The difference is that some of these properties have been leased from the CRown Estate at commercial, arms length rates, as was the case for Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park. On the other hand, properties like those occupied by the Gloucesters are not leased from the Crown Estate, and no rents are payable on those.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

The Crown Estate does not lease out the royal palaces, in that sense Royal Lodge, Bagshot etc are in a different categoryas they are owned by The Crown Estate and leased out in a proper commercial way.

Kensington Palace is managed by the Royal Household and Historic Royal Palaces (an independent charity that manages unoccupied royal residences for the government) for the State Rooms and some office areas. Working members of the RF do not pay more than a nominal peppercorn rent for living in KP or St James or BP as it is their official residence whereas they do pay and have proper commercial agreements with the Crown Estates for 'private residences' (Royal Lodge, Bagshot, Thatched Lodge) or other arrangements, e.g Anne was given Gatcombe as a wedding present from HM and Philip.
As such grants of official residences are approved by HM she does, in that sense, have a say over who goes where.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thanks tommy for explaining things better than I tried to.

Sometimes I think people find it easier to scream "taxpayer money" for funding everything with the British royal family. Getting to know and understand the ins and outs of things, like royal residences, can get quite confusing at times for the best of us.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:51 PM
Nobility

I think the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are great to downsize; they show up people like Princess Margaret and the Queen Mum who held on to large homes until the end.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The Gloucesters are the only ones to "downsize" so far, the Kents still have Wren House and Prince and Princess Michael still have the same apartment they've always had.

For starters, is the Gloucester's report true, i've only seen it in hello magazine online.
Secondly, even if it is true I can't imagine any pressure at all has been put on the Gloucesters to move out - I mean even when the Michael's had the press saying they should move out the Queen simply offered to pay their rent for 10years rather than force them out.

Remember for some of the Royals hat is "simply an apartment" is actually a family home even if the family only rent it (even for a peppercorn rent)
I don't think it is good to compare Duke and Duchess of Gloucester: Apartment 1 to Duke and Duchess of Kent: Wren House or even Prince and Princess Michael of Kent: Apartment 10.
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester: Apartment 1 is a 20 room apartment. With all of their children grown up and are living with their own families, this 20 room apartment is too big for them. Meanwhile, Old Stables is not too shabby for the Queen's Cousin.
The Duke and Duchess of Kent: Wren House is one of the smaller residences at Kensington Palace. This 2 storey cottage was once a shelter of palace staff.
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent: Apartment 10 is a 10 room apartment and it's been their home for over 20 years having paid by the Queen initially. But since 2010, they have been renting it with their own money.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

But at what cost?
Every day the press has a new story about the cost of the renovations.

If people just switched around, it's possible so much renovation wouldn't be necessary.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:30 AM
Heir Apparent

But where would Andrew go?

Ultimately somewhere else would be needed anyway for Andrew to be moved into, so there is not cost savings, simply H&M wouldn't be faced with such criticism but Andrew would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalfly View Post
I don't think it is good to compare Duke and Duchess of Gloucester: Apartment 1 to Duke and Duchess of Kent: Wren House or even Prince and Princess Michael of Kent: Apartment 10.
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester: Apartment 1 is a 20 room apartment. With all of their children grown up and are living with their own families, this 20 room apartment is too big for them. Meanwhile, Old Stables is not too shabby for the Queen's Cousin.
The Duke and Duchess of Kent: Wren House is one of the smaller residences at Kensington Palace. This 2 storey cottage was once a shelter of palace staff.
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent: Apartment 10 is a 10 room apartment and it's been their home for over 20 years having paid by the Queen initially. But since 2010, they have been renting it with their own money.
I've read in other places that Wren House is one of the best apartments/residences available. No-one really knows and much of it is a matter of opinion.

The point still stands that I don't think HM would ever force her family out of a residence they have lived in, especially when they have lived there for so long.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
But at what cost?
Every day the press has a new story about the cost of the renovations.

If people just switched around, it's possible so much renovation wouldn't be necessary.
Old buildings cost money to maintain and improve, so one way or another, money was going to be spent to bring an old building up to date. Even if something had been continuously occupied, such as Anmer, there would still be plumbing, or asbestos or something that needed to be renovated. And forcing Andrew to move out of a home that he and everyone else expected him to live in for the rest of his life to make space for Harry and Meghan...! Well. That would have gone over well.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
That's true, but couldn't some sort of exchange be worked out?
The Gloucesters are downsizing; why not others?

(For example, Andrew's daughters have moved out and have their own accommodations. Couldn't Andrew have moved into KP and allowed the Sussexes to use Royal Lodge?)

I realize moving is a pain, but if someone no longer needs a larger space, why not?
Can we not drag the Sussexes again on this? They are already happy in Frogmore Cottage. I don't think they needed a much bigger home like The Royal Lodge which boasts a 30 apartment room.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalfly View Post
Can we not drag the Sussexes again on this? They are already happy in Frogmore Cottage. I don't think they needed a much bigger home like The Royal Lodge which boasts a 30 apartment room.

And Andrew does?

(These were just examples anyway. But I do think people could exchange and then, even if some renovations were needed, it would not be the huge projects like Frogmore Cottage that gives the press ammunition.

Driveway paved with diamonds???)

Quote:
But where would Andrew go?

Ultimately somewhere else would be needed anyway for Andrew to be moved into, so there is not cost savings, simply H&M wouldn't be faced with such criticism but Andrew would.

Why not KP?

Someone mentioned a space like A1 would never be allotted to a non-working royal, but for a single working royal?
It probably wouldn't need much by way of renovation.

(Of course it is too late now, but it might have worked well last year.)
Old 06-29-2019, 01:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And Andrew does?

(These were just examples anyway. But I do think people could exchange and then, even if some renovations were needed, it would not be the huge projects like Frogmore Cottage that gives the press ammunition.

Driveway paved with diamonds???)

Why not KP?

Someone mentioned a space like A1 would never be allotted to a non-working royal, but for a single working royal?
It probably wouldn't need much by way of renovation.

(Of course it is too late now, but it might have worked well last year.)

The queen lived in Royal Lodge as a child her parents who at that time were Duke and Duchess of York lived there, the Queen mother continued to use it after the death of her husband, until her death.

Andrew is the Duke of York, this is more than just a building. There is history and emotion in these decisions.

Andrew spent a substantial amount of personal money improving the property so why should he be asked to move and make way for anybody else.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
The queen lived in Royal Lodge as a child her parents who at that time were Duke and Duchess of York lived there, the Queen mother continued to use it after the death of her husband, until her death.

Andrew is the Duke of York, this is more than just a building. There is history and emotion in these decisions.

Andrew spent a substantial amount of personal money improving the property so why should he be asked to move and make way for anybody else.
Indeed. There's no need to drag Andrew in this. After all, he is all the way supporting the Queen and is now in Southeast Asia.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see why Andrew is being dragged into a discussion about spending on H&M's new residence.
TBH the only way they can ever avoid suggestions of lavishness would be to take pictures before and after the "core" renovations showing what the public money was used for and then allowing H&M to put their own stamp on it with their own money.

I'm not saying they should, simply saying without something like that there will always be some criticism of perceived lavishness and extravagance.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don't see why Andrew is being dragged into a discussion about spending on H&M's new residence.
TBH the only way they can ever avoid suggestions of lavishness would be to take pictures before and after the "core" renovations showing what the public money was used for and then allowing H&M to put their own stamp on it with their own money.

I'm not saying they should, simply saying without something like that there will always be some criticism of perceived lavishness and extravagance.
Indeed Tommy. But I guess there's no need. RR's and reporters in the likes of Piers will always attack the Duchess no matter what.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone have details/pictures of the Old Stables where the Gloucester's are said to be downsizing to?
Old 06-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Does anyone have details/pictures of the Old Stables where the Gloucester's are said to be downsizing to?
I think this is the interior:

https://ct3fd3fhh2t45fd1m3d9sdio-wpe...0/Stables1.jpg

I can't find any photos of the exterior though.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-29-2019, 03:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
And Andrew does?
I can't judge how he uses his home, but whether he needs it or not, it is his home. A 75 year lease was acquired on the property for him, and he has only had it about 17 years, so no real reason, IMO, to move out.