The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-07-2018, 03:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Late afternoon at Kensington Palace.

https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn.n...7c&oe=5C42C422

The Christmas Tree arrive in Kensigton Palace!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1070956829839101952

Old 01-26-2019, 03:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

A series of moons at Kensington Palace!!

https://scontent.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn.n...84&oe=5CB82CE2

Beauty!!!

https://scontent.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn.n...6f&oe=5D2F42E3

Old 01-26-2019, 03:29 AM
Courtier

I truly wonder how "big" the apartments at Kensington are?
Old 01-26-2019, 03:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm almost positive that if you read through this thread from the very beginning, there are floor plans and whatnot about some of the private apartments. Just look in this thread for specific people and residences you know are at KP.

I know there's quite a bit of information regarding 1A (Princess Margaret's and the Cambridges' home) at:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...all-29282.html

Harry and Meghan's Nottingham Cottage at KP and Frogmore Cottage at:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...age-45791.html

But, as I know you're specifically interested in Diana, I'm going to do something I never imagined I'd do in my lifetime and that is recommend a book that really gives you insights into Diana's home at KP (which are now used by William and Kate and Harry and Meghan as rooms for meet and greets and events). This book also includes pictures taken by the author of the rooms during Diana's time. Its not the book's fault it was written by a worm (and I don't mean a bookworm)

The Way We Were: Remembering Diana by Paul Burrell
Old 01-26-2019, 04:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

In 2004 I actually got to wander around 1A when I visited KP. My sister and I were in the State apartments and couldn't believe when the tour then led us into 1A. Princess Margarets apartment wasn't being used for anything at that point and so it was open to visitors. I remember we started at the top of the house and were able to look in a couple of bedrooms. On the landing you could look out the window and see directly across the courtyard to the Michaels and Diana's old apartment. We were literally looking at their front doors. There was a lift in the landing but we took the stairs down and there we were in the black and white slabbed hall behind the big wooden front doors. The door to the blue drawing room was open but there was a rope so you couldn't actually walk in and at the end if the drawing room there were double doors that opened into the dining room and they were open too so we could see a bit of the dining room too. We then walked behind the drawing room to a room where PM kept her china and you could look right out the window there into her big private garden. I couldn't believe at the time that I was getting to walk around PM's actual house, I kept thinking of all the times I'd read about it in books and all the famous people who had been in there and it was totally surreal. There were pictures if PM in each room to show the visitor her standing where they were standing, just amazing. I don't' know how long the apartment was open to the public but I consider myself so lucky that I visited KP when I did. It's still hard to take in that I have been all around William and Kate's house (well some of it) before they were. The rooms BTW were of a decent size but not huge. Only the drawing room was of any considerable size.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Wow. Now that is a tour to remember that the majority of us will never have a chance to take. An eyewitness account of Apartment 1A.

I wonder if that china room is used for the same purpose today for the Cambridges? I remember reading when George was small(er) that when he was told that his daddy went to China, he ran over to the china cupboard and started looking in there for him.

https://people.com/royals/prince-geo...m-is-in-china/
Old 01-26-2019, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I was trying to figure out who has lived the longest at Kensington Palace over the years,there have been so many residents!!!
Old 01-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
In 2004 I actually got to wander around 1A when I visited KP. My sister and I were in the State apartments and couldn't believe when the tour then led us into 1A. Princess Margarets apartment wasn't being used for anything at that point and so it was open to visitors. I remember we started at the top of the house and were able to look in a couple of bedrooms. On the landing you could look out the window and see directly across the courtyard to the Michaels and Diana's old apartment. We were literally looking at their front doors. There was a lift in the landing but we took the stairs down and there we were in the black and white slabbed hall behind the big wooden front doors. The door to the blue drawing room was open but there was a rope so you couldn't actually walk in and at the end if the drawing room there were double doors that opened into the dining room and they were open too so we could see a bit of the dining room too. We then walked behind the drawing room to a room where PM kept her china and you could look right out the window there into her big private garden. I couldn't believe at the time that I was getting to walk around PM's actual house, I kept thinking of all the times I'd read about it in books and all the famous people who had been in there and it was totally surreal. There were pictures if PM in each room to show the visitor her standing where they were standing, just amazing. I don't' know how long the apartment was open to the public but I consider myself so lucky that I visited KP when I did. It's still hard to take in that I have been all around William and Kate's house (well some of it) before they were. The rooms BTW were of a decent size but not huge. Only the drawing room was of any considerable size.
Wow what an amazing experience. I’ve read that her apartment was filled with pink and turquoise. Is that true?
Old 01-26-2019, 11:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Margaret's favorite colors were pink and kingfisher blue and it was reflected in her apartment. I've found more information here:

https://www.geni.com/projects/Kensin...-England/29423
Old 01-26-2019, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Wow what an amazing experience. I’ve read that her apartment was filled with pink and turquoise. Is that true?
Gosh, we are going back 15 years now but I remember clearly leaving the state apartments and wandering into a random non historical looking bedroom thinking, "where the heck are we?". It really was that non descript. I think we were in 1A a good 5 minutes before we saw a sign telling us that the room we had now found ourselves in was PM's guest bedroom. To say we were surprised/excited was an understatement. Non royal watchers mabye wouldn't have appreciated what this was but we did and it was unbelievable. Anyway. The room had a large bed with almost totally white bedsheets and curtains with just a speck of blue matching and us (the visitors) could walk around, no restrictions at all! I don't know to this day if they were changed after PM's death but that is how they were that day and the whole room looked very crisp and clean and fresh. I would be lying if I claimed to remember the colour schemes after that but the top landing was an apple green colour if my memory serves me correctly. The drawing room still was that famous blue colour at the time, walls, curtains, everything, all original from her time there. I remember staring thinking, "The Burtons were here, Nureyev was here and this is just totally unbelievable, how on Earth can I be standing here?" I've visited Windsor, Holyrood Palace and Britannia but that experience was the best ever because it was so unusual and so unlikely to ever happen again.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Her apartment landscape must have been amazing.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Her apartment landscape must have been amazing.
Beyond amazing! I visited that day with my Mum and sister and when the Obama's visited my Mum said, "Can you believe that we stood behind those doors in Princess Margaret's hallway and we've got great knowledge of William and Kate's house whilst the media are still guessing?"
Old 01-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Beyond amazing! I visited that day with my Mum and sister and when the Obama's visited my Mum said, "Can you believe that we stood behind those doors in Princess Margaret's hallway and we've got great knowledge of William and Kate's house whilst the media are still guessing?"
Wow so jealous you got an extraordinary experience! Wow I wonder if the other apartments are as amazing as Will and Kate’s? I know Apartment 1 has 20 rooms!
Old 01-27-2019, 02:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Wow so jealous you got an extraordinary experience! Wow I wonder if the other apartments are as amazing as Will and Kate’s? I know Apartment 1 has 20 rooms!
My understanding is that the apartments are not very similar, and are in a number of different sizes. Apartments occupied by the Cambridge's and Gloucester's are meant to be the best, followed by that occupied by Prince and Princess Michael.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
My understanding is that the apartments are not very similar, and are in a number of different sizes. Apartments occupied by the Cambridge's and Gloucester's are meant to be the best, followed by that occupied by Prince and Princess Michael.
Interesting. Thank you. Its amazing how much the royals really want to live in Kensington. I guess its truly the "best" palace. I read when Margaret had the palace, so many famous people like The Beatles, and Liz Taylor would be invited and truly her apartment was amazing.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Interesting. Thank you. Its amazing how much the royals really want to live in Kensington.
I am not sure I would go that far. There really are not many alternatives to KP for royal accomodation, and it is very centrally located. At various times in its history, it rumoured to have referred to it as the "Aunt Heap"

Follow the link below and scroll down for more information on the "Aunt Heap"

https://www.hrp.org.uk/kensington-pa...e/#gs.oBVwu25E
Old 01-27-2019, 03:10 AM
Courtier

I wouldn't mind living there. It's close to Hyde Park, Kensington High Street, ect....
Old 01-27-2019, 04:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I wouldn't mind living there. It's close to Hyde Park, Kensington High Street, ect....
I wouldn't mind either, but we wouldn't have paparazzi after us as soon as we go out
Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I wouldn't mind either, but we wouldn't have paparazzi after us as soon as we go out
Well you can't have it all.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think the biggest draw for the royals that do live at KP is the security factor. It is more or less like a prime gated royal community. Another factor is that KP also has its state apartments which can be convenient should any of the royals wish to hold a large event.

The public can and does rent out areas in KP for private functions and there are tours but the royal residential areas are off limits. I honestly have to say that if offered a place to live at KP and I could request where, it most likely would be Nottingham Cottage. That place sounds a lot cozier to me than the others.